Sschaffer24

The Trip Of A Lifetime... Inspired By MyGolfSpy.

Hello all!

First off, man does it feel weird see the "GolfSpy" in front of my name. It's an awesome place to be and I hope to be able to deliver on the same level of excellence the other Spies have brought to the table. What a great place to be a part of!

I have something that I want to talk about with everyone that's been brewing in my mind for a long time. Back in the day when I was a lurker around here I came across this post from Golfspy MBP that really captivated me. It was the story of him and his wife visiting the Modern Golf Vancouver location for a run through their full fitting system.

Being brand new to the world of custom fitting at this point and never having one done myself it just blew me away the amount of detail and not only that, but the impressive gains that they both (especially Nadine) experienced from having a thorough fitting performed.

Immediately a dream was born.

I can't tell you how may times over the years I've revisited that post, hopped over to the Modern Golf website (to be blown away) and tried to talk myself into a way to justify the trip. How could I?

See here's what's against me and what I would guess is against a lot of us.

• I didn't have a passport.
  • I have to find a way to justify the travel/expenses.
  • The fitting itself is $400 CAD!
  • I have a trusted fitter in my area.
  • I have new clubs that I really like and enjoy.
  • I have to talk my girlfriend into this.

Well guys... As the saying goes "where there's a will, there's a way" and I'm on my way to Toronto, Canada tomorrow morning for two beautiful rounds of golf, a full bag fitting for my girlfriend and myself and a stay at one of the nicest hotels in the city. This is going to be a blast.

We are celebrating our anniversary by getting these fittings for each other and I plan on providing a behind the scenes look at what something like this has to offer each and every one of us. You'll see this not only from my perspective, that of a Spy, but also from the perspective of the relative newcomer to the game.

Will the fitting prove as successful for each of us? Will it show bigger improvement for one of us over the other? Will that favor the more experienced and advanced golfer than the novice, or will it go the other way? What is the system like?

Ultimately I'm trying to answer one question for myself and all of you, is it worth it? That is the first thing that everyone reading this is going to ask themselves and some may come to a conclusion before they see the results. I'm going to ask everyone in the community to reserve judgment on that question for a little while. Mull it over, talk about it, but let's see what they can do and find out if this is the magical trip of a lifetime that every golfer should make or if sticking with the guy at the big box store or your local shop is worth sticking with.

I'm betting heavily one way, but let's see how this shakes out!

That being said guys here's where I want all of you to be involved! Let's get some Q&A going for me to take with me to Modern Golf. I want to sit down with one of their employees and get some answers for you guys! So fire away!

• Like 8

Sounds like an awesome experience.

Some questions I would ask the fitter are:

What are some of the biggest challenges they have when fitting someone?

How often do their customers talk themselves out of what the data is showing and into something else?

How does one go about fitting someone with an extremely inconsistent swing?

• Like 1

Cool stuff.  I'll admit I haven not heard of this company, and I consider myself a fairly informed golf consumer. It 

all sounds fantastic.

I have two questions and I guess they are bookend questions..ha

What is your biggest question of yourself going in?

Afterward, what surprised you the most about the whole process. 

Way to go Shawn, er, I mean Golfspy Shawn....Be sure and document the fitting experience with plenty of pix.

Since you have settled in with the Hogan irons, I wonder if the fitter will want to adjust the Lie....and what abou the shaft?

Well here are some starter comments I can provide for you guys and also I can answer some of the questions for you on my own here. I like the discussion though!

From what I can tell they do a few things to start the process. The first of which is doing a blueprint of your current set. This gives them a template for what you currently game.

From there though what I've gathered is that they will present you with an extremely flexible fitting process. You can try any head and shaft combination imaginable. They are completely brand agnostic as well, so their approach will be specifically for what fits the player the best and not what offers the best incentive for the store.

They also do all custom work, and build at their site. Everything is ordered in and hand built by their master build team. Which is pretty cool.

Pictures will of course be taken! I plan on really giving people a great idea of what this place has to offer.

Carolina, that's a great question. Honestly it's distance. The biggest thing killing my game right now is getting to the green in regulation consistently. I need both a lower spinning driver so I can pick up distance there and also a more forgiving iron that will get me some more carry yardage but still stop on the other side.

Here's the catch though. Offset and big heads don't work well with me. So a GI iron won't take me where I need to be because they don't inspire confidence. I'm really curious to see their solution.

Keep firing away guys! I plan on documenting all of these questions and creating some follow up posts...

• Like 1

Well here are some starter comments I can provide for you guys and also I can answer some of the questions for you on my own here. I like the discussion though!

From what I can tell they do a few things to start the process. The first of which is doing a blueprint of your current set. This gives them a template for what you currently game.

From there though what I've gathered is that they will present you with an extremely flexible fitting process. You can try any head and shaft combination imaginable. They are completely brand agnostic as well, so their approach will be specifically for what fits the player the best and not what offers the best incentive for the store.

They also do all custom work, and build at their site. Everything is ordered in and hand built by their master build team. Which is pretty cool.

Pictures will of course be taken! I plan on really giving people a great idea of what this place has to offer.

Carolina, that's a great question. Honestly it's distance. The biggest thing killing my game right now is getting to the green in regulation consistently. I need both a lower spinning driver so I can pick up distance there and also a more forgiving iron that will get me some more carry yardage but still stop on the other side.

Here's the catch though. Offset and big heads don't work well with me. So a GI iron won't take me where I need to be because they don't inspire confidence. I'm really curious to see their solution.

Keep firing away guys! I plan on documenting all of these questions and creating some follow up posts...

Great thanks.  From the description, it sounds a lot like Club Champion..which in my mind is a good thing, and has a location here in the DC area.

I"m really looking forward to following along 

Sounds like a great anniversary! Congrats and have fun!

Will the fitting be done both indoor and outdoor or only indoor? If they only do indoor, would they prefer to have an outdoor part as well (but are constrained by finances/land/etc...), or do they do indoor because it isolates more of the variables?

I recently did one that was all indoor and I'm very happy with my results, but it seems like some people like to hit new clubs outdoors before making decisions.

I e never has any sort of fitting. Always what fits the eye and then how it feels. I'm curious to know what criteria they use to make recommendations and which ones they weight more heavily than others in irons and wedges. In other words is it about distance, deviation, how much spin is not enough versus too much. heads or shafts first?

Congratulations GolfSpy Shawn, sounds like you will have one heck of a time. Of course for me, distance is king...how do I get more distance out of my fitting process. Also, do expensive shafts make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well guys it's about time to roll out! My fitting is 9AM tomorrow so I'll compile all of what's here to take with me and ask my fitter after we are done! Feel free to drop any additional questions you guys have here and I will do my best to get then answered.

• Like 2

Gratz! When you look at at the expenses as a honeymoon/vacation, it doesn't hurt that much :lol:

Have fun and let us know!

Dang... is it CAD 400 per person???  :blink:

Have a great time Shawn. Remember to be an engaged participant as well as a reporter :)

Have a blast and I hope the results are fantastic on all counts.

Congratulations GolfSpy Shawn, sounds like you will have one heck of a time. Of course for me, distance is king...how do I get more distance out of my fitting process. Also, do expensive shafts make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In this same vein, not necessarily with regard to "expensive" shafts, I'm curious what their thoughts are on what is truly more important: the club head or the shaft? More specifically, could a player utilize a club head (driver or iron) that is a couple years old, but with the proper shaft, improve performance dramatically? So, do I need a new driver head, or just a shaft upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Gratz! When you look at at the expenses as a honeymoon/vacation, it doesn't hurt that much :lol:

Have fun and let us know!

Dang... is it CAD 400 per person??? :blink:

Thanks man. And that's exactly why we planned it this way! Have to justify the cost somehow! Haha.

Yeah, $400 CAD per person. Should be worth it though. We will find out in the morning. Can't wait to report back to everyone!

Every USD is worth $1.30 CAD so your dollar will go a little farther. But wait for the sticker shock of 14% sales tax + 8% bar tax on any alcohol. Price we pay (I used to pay) for good schools and healthcare.

Mid west is a lot like Canada (Ontario anyway)

Have fun. This sounds like an awesome trip. Looking forward to your report.

Every USD is worth $1.30 CAD so your dollar will go a little farther. But wait for the sticker shock of 14% sales tax + 8% bar tax on any alcohol. Price we pay (I used to pay) for good schools and healthcare.

Mid west is a lot like Canada (Ontario anyway)

Have fun. This sounds like an awesome trip. Looking forward to your report.

Oh, we are used to 19% tax over here :lol:

That's what makes purchasing golf gear from the US not worth it... whatever comes in, they slap 19% on it and about 3% duties for golf equipment.

Guys, quick update. The trip was a great experience for me. But I'm not going to spoil anything for you guys. Back in the States and going to get this post ready to rock as soon as I can. Can't wait to share what I have with you all!

• Like 3

Looking forward to hearing about it Shawn.  Don't rush, we want to hear every little detail :)