Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

100 Putts in a Row Drill

IcemanYVR

I was very proud today to complete my 100 in a row from 5 feet putting drill for the first time since coming back to the game. This was a bi weekly practice drill I used to do when I was playing all the time. It really helps groove your stroke and build confidence. I consider myself a good putter, but this drill has proved invaluable to me.

Basics of the drill are simple... Make a 100 putts in a row from 5 feet. If you miss, you start over. Took me 4 tries today. 

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

Is it the same putt over and over or do you move around the hole?

At 3 to 5 feet from the hole PGA Tour players make 88% of putts attempted. At 5 to 10 feet from the hole PGA Tour players make 57% of putts attempted

This means that their percentage from exactly 5 feet is likely closer to 80%

Is it the same putt over and over or do you move around the hole?

At 3 to 5 feet from the hole PGA Tour players make 88% of putts attempted. At 5 to 10 feet from the hole PGA Tour players make 57% of putts attempted

This means that their percentage from exactly 5 feet is likely closer to 80%

It's the same putt. It's strictly to groove my putting stroke and build confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I should add it's a tip I got from Tiger in an interview years ago. He was talking about his practice routine and he mentioned this drill except he used to do it with 200 in a row. I figured 100 was good enough for me.

I find the flattest section of the green around a hole that I can, and mark it off. I use an iron for alignment. I usually have to start over at least once, but several times in the past I've made it straight through on the first attempt.

I would not be able to do this. My 50/50 is 7 feet which fits with my handicap, currently 3.9. I don't know exactly but I would guess I'm a tad under 80 percent from 5 feet making it unlikely that I would make 100 in a row. There is a higher probability that I would need a chiropractor from trying.

Great job on your part to make 100 straight.

I do regularly make 10 in a row from 4 feet. That's about what my skill level allows.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

^^^^ Rev down to 3.9 now huuh??  Yep you will have to give me strokes for sure now---  LOL again Beware of the golf hustler dressed as a humble "man of the cloth"--- I don't know but I would bet even money you could do the 100 in a row. Somehow I just think so. Good job on the 3.9

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

^^^^ Rev down to 3.9 now huuh?? Yep you will have to give me strokes for sure now--- LOL again Beware of the golf hustler dressed as a humble "man of the cloth"--- I don't know but I would bet even money you could do the 100 in a row. Somehow I just think so. Good job on the 3.9

Perhaps but IMO it would be a colasal waste of time. I may have 3 5 footers a round and make 80 percent of them. If I could get that to 90 percent how many strokes do I gain? And only about half of my rounds are competitive.

Its worth 2 or 3 strokes for those rounds in a season. How many strokes would I loose from neglecting other parts of my game? Way more than a or 3. I could lose 2 or 3 with one bad 3 wood. :)

I understand why Tiger or any your player would do this. Its their job. They have a teacher, a trainer and a regular work week's worth of practice time.

For us? Unless you have a teacher and the rest of your game in order I don't think this is the wisest use of time. If you're young and find it fun I'd understand but beyond that I think there's way easier ways to lower the handicap.

I'm impressed that anyone with a handicap can do it though. Good job!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have absolutely zero interest in grinding on any aspect of my game. Certainly not standing there putting 100 times and trying to make all of them. I like to practice and I really like to play. If I were to grind on any aspect of my game it'd be GIR. But I'm not. Therefore, I'll remain a 6-7 handicapper. My goal the past two years is to get my hcp. back down to a 5 (or less). Doesn't look like it's going to happen this year. Hey, come to think of it what I really need to do is stop grinding on business and play more golf.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Perhaps but IMO it would be a colasal waste of time. I may have 3 5 footers a round and make 80 percent of them. If I could get that to 90 percent how many strokes do I gain? And only about half of my rounds are competitive.

Its worth 2 or 3 strokes for those rounds in a season. How many strokes would I loose from neglecting other parts of my game? Way more than a or 3. I could lose 2 or 3 with one bad 3 wood. :)

I understand why Tiger or any your player would do this. Its their job. They have a teacher, a trainer and a regular work week's worth of practice time.

For us? Unless you have a teacher and the rest of your game in order I don't think this is the wisest use of time. If you're young and find it fun I'd understand but beyond that I think there's way easier ways to lower the handicap.

I'm impressed that anyone with a handicap can do it though. Good job!

It is like anything else in this game-- You also have to tailor your practice to suit your game-- According to my old man when I played competitive golf and gambled I practiced wrong because my short game was so good and got me out of many a jam- He always said that I could not survive long on the wedge and putter game that I should be working on rythm and timing on the rest of my game so I could hit a fairway. I never liked belting balls on the range but loved wedge and putter practice. Well I feel he was wrong because I survived many years on the wedges putter and 5 iron. Now I have gotten older and have slowed up a lot especially my hands I am a better ball striker than I ever was and hit more FIRs and GIRs than I ever did. For me that was the Golden Positive on getting old. IMHO a great short game can cover up a multitude of screw ups in the general game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I don't consider it grinding. I enjoy practicing and I like working in my short game. It takes less than 30 minutes if you don't mess up.

I don't like banging balls on the range ether, unfortunately, I need to do that as well right now (well more drills) so I can feel what kind of swing I have. I don't expect to get back to where I was, but even close would be nice.

So if I spend 3 hours on the practice facilities, then I feel it's time well spent.

I don't consider it grinding. I enjoy practicing and I like working in my short game. It takes less than 30 minutes if you don't mess up.

I don't like banging balls on the range ether, unfortunately, I need to do that as well right now (well more drills) so I can feel what kind of swing I have. I don't expect to get back to where I was, but even close would be nice.

So if I spend 3 hours on the practice facilities, then I feel it's time well spent.

I would like to do that with 4 footers. I was on fire today on the course from 3-6 foot so I'd be interested to see if I could do that in practice and groove a great stroke.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

And that's the key of you enjoy it by all means knock yourself out. Golf should be fun whatever form of it we are involved in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I would like to do that with 4 footers. I was on fire today on the course from 3-6 foot so I'd be interested to see if I could do that in practice and groove a great stroke.

IMHO 99% of it is not necessarily "grooving the stroke" but being relaxed and confident. If you are relaxed and comfortable over the ball the groove will come with it. Again IMHO if you get to thinking putting stroke that will cause tension and that is no good.

G

I haven't jumped in here before, but even though I like to practice putting, I don't think I could force myself to TRY to make 100 putts in a row.  I think it is probably worth doing if you like to challenge yourself, but I believe that I would lose focus because I wouldn't find it fun.  I 100% agree with Big Stu that it is a confidence builder.  It's comforting to see putts roll in time-after-time.  It frees up the stroke.

That's all well and good when you have a short, straight putt to finish a match.  It's something else when you have a short putt downhill or one that breaks out of the hole on speedy greens.  Now you are out of your comfort zone.  I'm not saying that the drill isn't worth it, but it's not the drill that I would spend my precious time on the practice green.  I much prefer to find a hole that is on a slight slope and roll putts "around the clock".  I start at 6 o'clock, straight up the slope; then 3 o'clock; then 12 o'clock; then 9 o'clock (Being right-handed, I saved my hardest putt for last).  Roll one ball, move to the next location.  I start with 2 footers.  If I make it all the way around, I move to 4 feet.  I keep going in 2 foot increments.  If I miss, I don't start at the beginning.  If I miss a putt from the 6 foot distance, I go back to the 4 foot distance and start over.  I like this drill because every putt is different, and it build confidence that you can make these putts on the course.  I quit when I get tired or my back hurts too much.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A lot of negative replies here in regards to my practice routine. I know what works for me, and how to manage my practice time.

I'm sure someone will be more than happy to tell me the 90 minutes I spent in the practice bunker today hitting a variety of fairway and greenside bunker shots was a waste of time as well.

I only posted this originally because I was pleased with my accomplishment as I know how hard it is and it means I'm on my way back to previous form.

A lot of negative replies here in regards to my practice routine. I know what works for me, and how to manage my practice time.

I'm sure someone will be more than happy to tell me the 90 minutes I spent in the practice bunker today hitting a variety of fairway and greenside bunker shots was a waste of time as well.

I only posted this originally because I was pleased with my accomplishment as I know how hard it is and it means I'm on my way back to previous form.

Exactly you need to do what's best for your game. Others, myself included, have weighed in to say, great for you, not good for us and here's why.

For myself this one drill would eat up all of my available practice time. There would be very little return and in fact I would probably back slide as other parts of my game suffered. I wouldn't recommend this drill to any friend seeking to improve because they wouldn't have the time. More importantly it would not be fun or relaxing which is why I play golf.

Howevere, if it were fun, as it is for you, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If I had tons of practice time and a few strokes a year was huge (Tiger or any other professional golfer) I would do the drill.

I'm glad that you enjoy this drill, making 100 4 footers in a row is a great accomplishment! I've never done it. Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy the game.

And to be clear my comments are not intended to be negative towards you. They are intended to state my opinion and to cause anyone contemplating this drill to weigh the benefits of it verses the possible negatives.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Exactly you need to do what's best for your game. Others, myself included, have weighed in to say, great for you, not good for us and here's why.

For myself this one drill would eat up all of my available practice time. There would be very little return and in fact I would probably back slide as other parts of my game suffered. I wouldn't recommend this drill to any friend seeking to improve because they wouldn't have the time. More importantly it would not be fun or relaxing which is why I play golf.

Howevere, if it were fun, as it is for you, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. If I had tons of practice time and a few strokes a year was huge (Tiger or any other professional golfer) I would do the drill.

I'm glad that you enjoy this drill, making 100 4 footers in a row is a great accomplishment! I've never done it. Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy the game.

And to be clear my comments are not intended to be negative towards you. They are intended to state my opinion and to cause anyone contemplating this drill to weigh the benefits of it verses the possible negatives.

It's all good... Pretty sure I was mostly butt-hurt when I wrote that.

... and it was 5 footers ;)

That's even more amazing!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I don't make all my 5 footers on the course, but I have the confidence standing over any putt from about 12 feet that if I have the right line, it's going in.

Yesterday I missed 8 putts I felt I would normally make due to changing conditions (monsoon before we started and full on sun by the time we finished) and off speed. But it's golf, and I don't worry about. I'll make them all next time :)

IMHO 99% of it is not necessarily "grooving the stroke" but being relaxed and confident. If you are relaxed and comfortable over the ball the groove will come with it. Again IMHO if you get to thinking putting stroke that will cause tension and that is no good.

Yep. I've gotten pretty relaxed over 4 footers and usually just worry about my line and remember to keep my mechanics by keeping it really simple. Straight back straight through to the hole with no arm tension. It's worked wonders the last few rounds taking out the arm tension.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I don't make all my 5 footers on the course, but I have the confidence standing over any putt from about 12 feet that if I have the right line, it's going in.

Yesterday I missed 8 putts I felt I would normally make due to changing conditions (monsoon before we started and full on sun by the time we finished) and off speed. But it's golf, and I don't worry about. I'll make them all next time :)

There you go. I used to be a lights out putter for weeks and then go through terrible stretches. now I feel like if I hit it to 4 feet or under I'll make it no matter what. It's funny because I used to rely on my putter to post decent scores, now I feel like I trust it and it helps me relax on other shots to have that in the bag.

Archived