Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Bouncing around an idea, need some advice

So I'm still reviewing the Hogan PTx irons, currently in Stage 3 process and the jury is still out if they stay in the bag.

I love the gaps, but I still have more confidence with the Speedblades and like the added forgiveness of them.

So my crazy idea is to buy an extra Speedblade 9i so I have 2 of them.  Then bend one 2 degrees strong and one 2 degrees week to match the Hogan lofts.  The 6, 7 & 8 already match up.  

I know it's going to affect the bounce, but for guys who have adjusted lofts that much do you really notice any difference?  Is there anything else I would need to worry about going this route?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So would you have 2 speedblade 9 irons on top of the hogan 9i?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I would have to look at the sole design in person to tell you how much it would or would not affect bounce. Some clubs it does and some it does not.  Also a lot depends on an individual player's swing. Good example for me if I would bend up a blade butter knife like what I play with 2* strong I would be subject to dig to China because I de loft the club anyhow.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So would you have 2 speedblade 9 irons on top of the hogan 9i?

No, I would sit the Hogans in the backup bag and game the Speedblades with better gaps.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

No, I would sit the Hogans in the backup bag and game the Speedblades with better gaps.

Ahh. I'm not sure if bounce would be as much a worry and the leading edge digging. Especially cause your swing is steep.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I've never noticed the difference when I've adjusted a loft 2 degrees but my swing is shallow. 

I don't know if that helps.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

^^^ Good example right there Rev you say your swing is shallow so in all probability it would not affect you at all. Also club design in general has a lot to do with it and I am not talking just sole design either. The sharpness or bluntness of the leading edge along with the offset has a lot to do with it. There are quite a few different factors involved. That is what a good fitter is there for

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

When I reshafted my Macgregor VIP irons with graphite, I strengthened the loft 2 degrees so that they were the correct gaps from my SCOR 42.  I have had no problems with turf interaction but like Rev, my swing is flat.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I reshafted my Macgregor VIP irons with graphite, I strengthened the loft 2 degrees so that they were the correct gaps from my SCOR 42.  I have had no problems with turf interaction but like Rev, my swing is flat.

Correct me if I am wrong but yours are V-Foils which even in the shorter irons have a little more rounded sole than my older VIPs and the leading edge is not as sharp. Actually with a flat swing you could bend my VIPs 2* stronger and you or Rev probably would not dig at all

G

Correct me if I am wrong but yours are V-Foils which even in the shorter irons have a little more rounded sole than my older VIPs and the leading edge is not as sharp. Actually with a flat swing you could bend my VIPs 2* stronger and you or Rev probably would not dig at all

You are correct.  MacGregor VIP Tourney V-Foil 1025M, and for a blade they are very forgiving.  I never hit them very well with the S300 shafts, but with the graphites, I am better off our turf with them than my Ping i20's.  I bought the i20's because they were better for me than the G20's because it seems like the wider sole didn't work as well on our hard turf.  However, I have yet to hit the Macs off soft, fluffy Bermuda, so I might have some issues with them.  However, I don't have any immediate plans to travel to an area with that grass.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived