Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Your Top Training Aids

After deciding yesterday to get back into more/better/focused practice I started thinking about the various training aids I've purchased through the years. Some were good and others not so good. Below I've posted my top three in no particular order. Let's see what your top three are. (with pictures if applicable) 

Pivot Pro

I've had this one for a number of years and when I purchased it I found it to be very effective. Sure, you can basically achieve similar effect by placing something under your foot but this is still more effective I found. It's a very well made product too and easy to use. The rod has a function when inserted into the shoe to indicate your full follow through. It can also serve as a alignment rod when removed. The Pivot Pro retails for ~$80.

20160904_105029.jpg

DST Compressor 8i

This is a great aid for ball striking improvement. The idea is to promote a forward shaft-lean and increased lag. The only draw back is that it ships with a lousy grip which turns into hard plastic quickly. Replace it asap. The DST retails for around $100.

20160904_101017.jpg

CamCaddy

This little devise provides a super easy way to video your swing. You're able to place your phone in the holder and adjust the height by sliding it up and down on the provided alignment rod. This CamCaddy retails for ~$20. (update - Stinger Tee also has a similar product) Additionally, a great little free app called Hudl Technique is perfect for recording and analyzing your swing.

20160904_100944.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't use any training aids as of right now. I have a tiba putt which I like but don't use it enough. That will change this offseason. I also have a tour striker but I'm not a big fan of it. I do plan to get the DST wedge and 8i for this winters practice.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Only real training aid I use is the SwingClick I reviewed on here a while back. Outside that I use alignment sticks, towels, and golf tees.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Weighted club, a speed stick and the old shaft in or on the ground. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've used launch monitors, swing bytes, tiba putts alignment rods but I do like the simplicity of the Skilz yellow ball. I'll take a few hacks before a round just to warm up and it is great to stretch out before a round. Really helps sometimes when you are stiff or just need to get things going.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

Inside Down The Line Putting track was really helpful on feeling a correct path.  Pelz putting tutor is great if you want to drive yourself insane.  

Driver- Callaway Alpha Diamana X Stiff

3 Wood- Callaway Alpha 815 Speeder X

2 Hybrid- Ping Anser UST 

3 Hybrid- Ping Anser Diamana

4-PW- Callaway Apex Pro 2014

52- Callaway Mack Daddy 2

56- Vokey M Grind

60- Callaway Mack Daddy 2

Putter-Ping Anser 2

Timely to say the least for me. With the golf season slowing down I've been thinking of a few things and am really looking forward to hearing what others are using and liking.

Going to get a Rife Guerin dew board and really thinking about this. https://eyelinegolf.com/collections/putting-aids/products/eyeline-putting-mirror?variant=222731848

Only thing I have is two alignment sticks to help with my putting. Been thinking about getting something for my swing but there are so many out there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

2 of my favorite training aids right now is the 5footer putt tool. It isn't expensive and its nothing too special but I really like having instant feedback for off line putts while i practice. My other favorite aid is the orange whip, has helped me tremendously with swing tempo and it also helped me work on finishing my backswing with my longer clubs. I would def recommend both of these!

I don't use many training aids, but I do like the Momentus for the winter to keep loose.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I've been considering an Orange Whip...only other thing I have are alignment rods......I see one above likes the Whip, anyone else?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I ordered an Orange Whip...should be here today.....let you guys know what I think after I get some work in with it

I use the orange whip and really like it. I use it mostly in the off season to keep my tempo and swing plane in shape. I have a tiba putt but I really don't use it enough to be honest. I also have a DST wedge but would really like the 8 iron (but that is a low priority purchase for me - I have actual real clubs I need to buy!). I also have a Swing Extender. It is a really nice thing to use on the range.

One of the best things I have bought is a swing guide. You can get them on eBay for $2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golf-Swing-Plane-Guide-Trainer-yellow-AD-/112098411657

It really helped me in keeping my wrist flat in the back swing (the yellow arm won't contact your arm correctly if your wrist is cupped or too bowed). I have a momentus and I just bought another swing guide to put on it for off-season swinging. 

alignment rods of course too!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 2 weeks later...

update, got my orange whip and have been using most nights for about 10 min or so

2 thoughts

1. it's much heavier than i thought, i expected it to just be a little heavier than a driver, but it's more like having a softball attached to the end of a whippy shaft

2. It's a pretty decent workout, doesn't take long for my wrists/forearms to get a little tired.

Whether it helps with my swing, will remain to be seen

I'm lucky enough to have a hitting bay in my garage so I can practice every night after the kids go to bed.  I've got a few training aids that I use pretty regularly as I've been working on trying to improve my swing over the last year...

- Orange Whip (iron length)

- DST Compressor 8-iron

- Izzo Smooth Swing band

- Swingyde Training Aid

- Gabe Golf 7-iron

I only use the Orange Whip and Swingyde reguarly at home and on the range, though.  The others are more maintenance tools than anything else.  However, I just ordered the Gabe Golf iron and will be using that a LOT at home and on the range.

1476449039141.jpgTried this from another golfer I was paired with and it felt pretty good to swing, little pricey imo... but what isnt in golf.

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

When I was a kid, my Grandfather took one of his hickory shafted Drivers and drilled a couple holes in the face, then attached a lead weight to the front of it.  He would take it out and swing it a dozen times or so before he played.  I was his caddy.  I have always thought that swinging extra weight before you play helped stretch your muscles.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

SpeedX-1-109x1024.png

From Hank Haney.......Not only does it accelerate through the impact area, but it accelerates your improvement. You can add 10 – 20 yards to your drives in just a single 15-minute practice session.

How?

By quickly training your muscles to create proper lag, timing, and release - three proven distance boosters that have always been extremely difficult and time-consuming to learn.

Until now.

The Speed Stik uses a first-of-its-kind force-adjustable magnet and slider called the Speed Bullet.

The key to its effectiveness: instant AUDIBLE feedback.....only $99

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

SpeedX-1-109x1024.png

From Hank Haney.......Not only does it accelerate through the impact area, but it accelerates your improvement. You can add 10 – 20 yards to your drives in just a single 15-minute practice session.

How?

By quickly training your muscles to create proper lag, timing, and release - three proven distance boosters that have always been extremely difficult and time-consuming to learn.

Until now.

The Speed Stik uses a first-of-its-kind force-adjustable magnet and slider called the Speed Bullet.

The key to its effectiveness: instant AUDIBLE feedback.....only $99

Foz - you have used the Speed Stik? Did you see the 10-20 yard gains?

A couple that have been noted, both that I discovered by being a lucky tester here on MGS:

• The Swing Click  -  Really good, "inexpensive" swing tempo trainer that you literally can use ANYWHERE.
  • The DST Compressor  I'm having great luck with the 8-iron; it has drastically improved my ball striking.  I'm very excited to keep working with it.  I wonder how good I might become?

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I've been using my DST some while warming up before rounds. I've been playing better of late so perhaps just that little bit of pre-round use is helping.

If I ever decide to actually start practicing more it certainly will help I think.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 1 month later...

I've been considering an Orange Whip...only other thing I have are alignment rods......I see one above likes the Whip, anyone else?

I bought the Orange Whip about a year ago - can't recommend it enough. As another poster already stated, it really helps with tempo and finishing your swing. I've never been very flexible and it has helped lengthen my swing. I will add too that it makes you start your downswing from the ground up, eliminating casting.

WITB:

Irons:       Ping S55 4-PW

Wedges:  Scor 4161 54*, 58*

Hybrids:   Adams Idea Gold Prototype 18*, 21*

Woods:    Ping G5 3 wd 15*

Driver:      Ping G 9*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

I bought the Orange Whip about a year ago - can't recommend it enough. As another poster already stated, it really helps with tempo and finishing your swing. I've never been very flexible and it has helped lengthen my swing. I will add too that it makes you start your downswing from the ground up, eliminating casting.

Yea man the orange whip is my favorite hands down. It really helps with my timing and like you said, an excellent warm up tool.  One of my buddies saw mine and picked it up to swing a few times. The next time I saw him, he owned one.   Good stuff!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yea man the orange whip is my favorite hands down. It really helps with my timing and like you said, an excellent warm up tool.  One of my buddies saw mine and picked it up to swing a few times. The next time I saw him, he owned one.   Good stuff!

I've been using mine a fair amount, really like the feel and workout I get.....can't say if there's any gain as of yet

I've been using mine a fair amount, really like the feel and workout I get.....can't say if there's any gain as of yet

I wasn't looking for more distance as my old body has too many nicks in it.   What I do see is better timing and it helps to feel the lag.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)