Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Your Top Training Aids

I wasn't looking for more distance as my old body has too many nicks in it. What I do see is better timing and it helps to feel the lag.

mostly looking for some consistency

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

mostly looking for some consistency

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Keep working with it and that will come. IMO,,,, good timing is a very critical part of the golf swing.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I spend most of my time working on my putting since it is something I can do indoors.  I learned a drill from my putting instructor and use is extensively;   just put a dime about 16"" in front of your ball and roll balls over the dime using different stroke lengths.    If you can't roll the ball over the dime consistently you will never be a good putter.

When I can get to a green,  I setup 2 tees as a gate for my putter.   

I always see good things about the Orange Whip;  I am seriously considering getting one.  I do the research and compare reviews with the SKLZ equivalent,  but never pull the trigger.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think my favorite training aid would be the lil nerf golf balls. I can hit them inside all day long.

Swinging inside so much and for so long, may be the reason I'm a picker of the golf ball instead of one of those guys who takes beaver pelts with every shot lol

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I spend most of my time working on my putting since it is something I can do indoors.  I learned a drill from my putting instructor and use is extensively;   just put a dime about 16"" in front of your ball and roll balls over the dime using different stroke lengths.    If you can't roll the ball over the dime consistently you will never be a good putter.

When I can get to a green,  I setup 2 tees as a gate for my putter.   

I always see good things about the Orange Whip;  I am seriously considering getting one.  I do the research and compare reviews with the SKLZ equivalent,  but never pull the trigger.

Something to consider if you go this route. They have the driver length orange whip and then the shorter one.   One of my friends bought the shorter one and I actually like it better. 

Cleveland

Something to consider if you go this route. They have the driver length orange whip and then the shorter one.   One of my friends bought the shorter one and I actually like it better. 

Hence the hesitation.   And none of my local stores have one in stock to play with; they only have the SKLZ product.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I always see good things about the Orange Whip; I am seriously considering getting one. I do the research and compare reviews with the SKLZ equivalent, but never pull the trigger.

I highly recommend the Orange Whip, I am confident you will not be disappointed. I do believe the SKLZ trainer would work too - not sure how heavy it is however and not sure if it's offered in multiple sizes. The OW is available in three sizes I believe - I have the driver size and love it.

Thanks for the putting drill by the way.

WITB:

Irons:       Ping S55 4-PW

Wedges:  Scor 4161 54*, 58*

Hybrids:   Adams Idea Gold Prototype 18*, 21*

Woods:    Ping G5 3 wd 15*

Driver:      Ping G 9*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Just talking about this last night. Trying to decide between orange whip, speed stick, or SKLZ . It appears the Orange Whip may be the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Why do you like the shorter one better?  

I highly recommend the Orange Whip, I am confident you will not be disappointed. I do believe the SKLZ trainer would work too - not sure how heavy it is however and not sure if it's offered in multiple sizes. The OW is available in three sizes I believe - I have the driver size and love it.

Thanks for the input on the OW.  Do you use it as a warmup tool or do you find that it helps your swing?  I hope you like the putting drill;  great drill that can be done anywhere and really helps with starting the ball on line and make sure that the putter is working for you to get the best performance.

Better control and feel for me. It could have something to do with my long arms . It's a great tool for timing and pre round warm up

Cleveland

I had the SKLZ brand for about a year but the balance always made it feel very heavy.  After swinging a friends Orange Whip I sold the SKLZ and bought the OW and have been very happy with the change.  

I am somewhat intrigued with ole gray's post about the shorter version, I may check it out.  

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I had the SKLZ brand for about a year but the balance always made it feel very heavy. After swinging a friends Orange Whip I sold the SKLZ and bought the OW and have been very happy with the change.

I am somewhat intrigued with ole gray's post about the shorter version, I may check it out.

Partner I would definitely go with the shorter version if I bought another one.

Cleveland

One more thing about the shorter version. You can feel your driver swing as well as your iron swing with the shorter one 🏻

Cleveland

Why do you like the shorter one better?

Thanks for the input on the OW. Do you use it as a warmup tool or do you find that it helps your swing? I hope you like the putting drill; great drill that can be done anywhere and really helps with starting the ball on line and make sure that the putter is working for you to get the best performance.

I do not use the OW for warm up, instead I swing it every evening for about 20 minutes non-stop. Although 20 minutes may not seem long, I can assure you it's a good workout. I focus on using the clubs momentum to lengthen my swing (both backswing and finish). I also focus on starting the downswing from the ground up. In focusing on those things it has had the added benefit of improving my swing tempo.

WITB:

Irons:       Ping S55 4-PW

Wedges:  Scor 4161 54*, 58*

Hybrids:   Adams Idea Gold Prototype 18*, 21*

Woods:    Ping G5 3 wd 15*

Driver:      Ping G 9*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

I started golf ~ 1 year ago, and my two biggest 'A-ha' moments so far have come to me via the two training aids below.

Orange Whip: Picked this up ~6 months ago, and it immediately provided me with the feel / sequence of a golf swing. Within a couple of days I made the most drastic improvement in my golf swing to date, and I believe it will remain as so.

Swing-Gyde: Also bought this ~6 months ago - thought it was useless, and it lay dormant in my bag. Two weeks ago when I came across a review of the item by Dan Whitaker on Youtube. I have only been practicing with it for the past two weeks and I finally understand more how the wrists should work to get that sweet swing plane.

For now I am going to focus on putting more. I am awaiting delivery of eyeline edge rail and mirror combo, and a bigmoss indoor green. With these I am expecting massive improvements in my putting game.

PING G SF  | 44.5'' @ 11*

PING G 5W | 18.5*

PING G 4H

PING G 5-PW

PING Glide 52/56/60

EVNROLL ER2 | SC Futura X7M 

The impact master is a great tool for short game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NGuz7HVoM

I am a single digit handicap, with a decent short game, and I found this tool very helpful. A high handicapper would benefit tremendously from this. This is one training aid that will actually lower your score.

The impact master is a great tool for short game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NGuz7HVoM

I am a single digit handicap, with a decent short game, and I found this tool very helpful. A high handicapper would benefit tremendously from this. This is one training aid that will actually lower your score.

This is a nice training aid that I have used for years.  However, I took a club, drilled a hole in the grip, and stuck an old shaft into the end of grip.  Works the same.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

This is a nice training aid that I have used for years. However, I took a club, drilled a hole in the grip, and stuck an old shaft into the end of grip. Works the same.

Did a similar DIY also!

Took an old wedge and stuck a broken orange driveway marker down the butt end of the grip, then put a piece of white foam on the outer end of the marker to further enhance its visibility in my peripheral vision. Can easily adjust the length of the marker just by sliding it in or out.

It sits outside my back door and I use it a lot .. has definitely been very helpful!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, to respond to the original question:

That homemade wedge, DST 8i and wedge, and recently Pocket Bunker are my current top training aids.

Oh, and a putting mat (the type where the hole end is raised and the ball rolls back towards you).

Also have ... balance disks, a weighted club, Tour Striker 7i / PW / SW, SKLZ version of the Orange Whip, GotchaReady club weight, a small speed trainer stick, a Leadbetter "Swing Setter" iron, Tour Tempo earpiece, .... etc..... etc....

(Training aid 'Ho!!)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

cksurfdude...I'm thinking you might want to start your own training center. ;)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

cksurfdude...I'm thinking you might want to start your own training center. ;)

Ha! Could be fun, though .. make you guys work out and practice hard every day :)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 1 month later...

How about a can of Dr. Scholls to spray your club faces and see where you're striking the ball on the face. My coach showed me this about a year ago and everyone that sees me spraying my driver on the range is astounded by how simple, cheap, and effective it is. I'd recommend everyone keep it in their bag and it will keep your shoes smelling fresh!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I'm loving the cam caddie.  What a great idea.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

I am using PuttOut and just got Navigator. I will probably return Navigator... but havent made up my mind. 

Driver: RH  M2 460 10.5° Phenom RIP 65 S -Flex
Fairway Woods: RH M2 3-Wood 15° TaylorMade M2 REAX 65 S-Flex
Hybrid: RH M2 3 Rescue 19° TaylorMade M2 REAX 75 S-Flex 
Irons: RH  i200 4-PW,UW, Orange color  code with AWT 2.0 S-Flex and 5L-Aqua Grips

Wedges: RH    MD 3 Milled Matte Black 54°/10° and 58°/09°- S Grind with True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel and Lamkin UTx Acid Green Grips

Putter: RH TaylorMade Daytona Ghost Tour Black w/SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0

• 1 month later...

I'll try to throw up some pictures tonight or tomorrow, but my favorite training aids have been:

WellPutt Putt Mat - I can't even remember how I first came across this mat, but it was a game changer for me and it is currently making a huge impact for a buddy at work (I'm actually selling it to him due to a lack of space at my new house :(). This is a great mat for dialing in distance control. Pair it with a putting rail, mirror, or some gates and you'll have one heck of a setup to help you reduce the 3-whacks.

Zepp Golf - I only have hands-on experience with the first version, but Zepp has made tremendous progress in the swing analyzer market. The features incorporated into the latest units have the potential to make a big difference when working on your swing without the aid of an instructor. Likewise, Hudl is a great tool as well and makes it very easy to share swing videos with your instructor between lessons.

The Haack Net by Rukket Sports - This has to be the best bang-for-your-buck practice net I have found. It goes together fairly quick and will catch more shots than you'd expect it to (even without the side nets).

Bag Shag Original - Not what most would consider a training aid, but think about it this way... What's the primary reason most people don't work on the short game (actually hitting multiple bunker shots, chips, pitches, etc from different lies)? For me, it was simply because picking up that many balls and repeating the process was too much work. Seriously, get a ball bag to use for practice. It doesn't have to be this one.

Eyeline Putting Rail & Edge Putting Mirror - I'm combining these two because most of the time I used them in conjunction. It's a great way to dial in setup and stroke. At $60ea. they are a little pricey IMO, but well worth it if you're struggling with this aspect of your game.

I've tried several others, but these have to be my absolute favorites, and the ones I'd recommend to pretty much anyone.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

How about a can of Dr. Scholls to spray your club faces and see where you're striking the ball on the face. My coach showed me this about a year ago and everyone that sees me spraying my driver on the range is astounded by how simple, cheap, and effective it is. I'd recommend everyone keep it in their bag and it will keep your shoes smelling fresh!

My golf instructor made the same suggestion to me regarding spraying the face of my driver.   With my irons, I also spray a line just in front of the ball.   The idea is for me to make clean contact with the ball and at the same time remove some of the spray.