TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

I hit two buckets today. The first bucket of 75+ balls I used a swing trainer that wraps around my chest and I slide my arms through two loops and Velcro them down. This helps me work at staying connected, which is ONE of my biggest issues. I also worked on a more stable lower body- not so much leg movement. I had taken a TON of videos of the pros on TV the last two weeks and I tried to copy their leg action.

I hit about 50 of the balls off of a mat to get a feeling grooved. I then hit the second bucket off the grass rotating between driver, 8 iron, and my 48/52 wedges. The pro walked by and even commented that the swing is starting to look good. Now if I can get it to transfer to the course!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Well I did it!!  Last week I set up a playing lesson with the best teaching pro in the region.  He has won pro tournaments here in central Washington, but now just focuses on teaching and has been the eastern Washington teacher of the year.

I asked him to play with me in order to evaluate my game, not to spend time working on anything in particular.  I just wanted an assessment.  I played better than I did earlier with the guys; +2 vs. +5 earlier in the day.  One bad swing on a 200 yard par 3 cost me 2 strokes!!  At the completion of the round, we discussed several issues that he noticed, and I raised a few of my concerns with my game.  I have known this instructor for a few years, and I "audited" a class he had this summer just to see how he teaches.  However, I was hesitant to take a lesson because I have spent several years committed to the single plane swing, and I didn't want any teacher that doesn't understand this swing to mess with it.  The SPS fixed my huge slice about 10 years ago.

He was impressed with my game and said he enjoyed playing with me.  He assured me that he will not interfere with my SPS.  So, next Monday I have another appointment with him to head out onto the course and focus on certain shots from some of the awkward lies on the course.  There are several locations where I struggle.  The fairways of my course are not particularly flat, and it seems that the landing zone on several holes are on a downslope.  Second shots from here are not my best.  The course also has mounds just off the fairway, so uneven lies in the rough are common.  This is where we will be next week.  We might also work on some fairway bunker shots.  I've never been very good from there, and I always try to avoid them... not always successfully.

Well, the season is winding down and I never got around to taking that bunker lesson.  Even though golf is slowing up here, the pro is very busy teaching young kids who are gearing up for the spring season.  Last week I asked him if he had time to fit in bunker work with me, and today we did it.  He thought it would be a good idea to include me in his class with the kids because he thought they could use some bunker and short game work too.  These kids ranged in age from 7 to 14 and are they good!  

I held my own with them in the green-side bunkers, but my problem is fairway bunkers.  My old course didn't have any, but my new course has several and I can run up a big number in a hurry if I get in them.  Most of the kids did OK out of those bunkers; a few sucked as bad as I did.  However, after the pro fixed my ball position and told me to play a cut shot, I was able to rip off several good shots in a row with my 5H.  The lip wasn't an issue, but I will need to head back out on the course this week for some more practice with mid-irons just to see if the lesson is sticking with me.  If I had done this in the spring, my scores this year would have been a little lower.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Put a net and mat in my pull barn.Went out and hit for an hour and filmed a little as well.Really sad the season is over.And Leary of hitting off a mat all off season.You can hit super fat on a mat and never realize your doing it

But I guess either i do that or just not swing until spring

And Leary of hitting off a mat all off season.You can hit super fat on a mat and never realize your doing it

Depends on the mat. I and others here have mats that are made to be hit down on, like real turf.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Put a net and mat in my pull barn.Went out and hit for an hour and filmed a little as well.Really sad the season is over.And Leary of hitting off a mat all off season.You can hit super fat on a mat and never realize your doing it

But I guess either i do that or just not swing until spring

Agree with @MattF.  Some mats are better than others.  I don't use the range much anyway and they put mats out on the grass for the winter, but I can tell when I mishit a ball.  Yeah, it still flies decent off a mat, but I know a good strike from a not-so-good one.  Swinging on mats is better than not swinging at all, IMHO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Heading out early in the AM for my lesson 4 1/2 hours away. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading out early in the AM for my lesson 4 1/2 hours away. Looking forward to it!

That's dedication right there.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Time to head out! 9 hours of driving today for a one-hour lesson.... It's SO worth it!

Daylight is getting shorter and less tee times are available, weather is also getting colder I guess I'll head down to the range for an hour I guess it's better than anything when you got the itch

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Agree with @MattF. Some mats are better than others. I don't use the range much anyway and they put mats out on the grass for the winter, but I can tell when I mishit a ball. Yeah, it still flies decent off a mat, but I know a good strike from a not-so-good one. Swinging on mats is better than not swinging at all, IMHO.

I bought a great net about 5 seasons ago that has a built in Matt. The lie is so fluffy that it feels like a side hill shot. I even have to grip down to hit it. But I guess it beats the alternative of our 6 month long winters

The lesson sends me home with drills to work on stability in the lower body, specifically keeping flexion in my left hip and knee through impact, keeping the hip, knee, and ankle all in line. I've gone from a +5/+7 club path (in to out) to a -.9. If I get the lower body done, getting to zero will be possible!

During today's round I threw away soooooo many shot within 25 yards of the pin.  I actually worked on chipping pre round and had a couple of shots that stood out. However more poor shots than good tells me where I need to focus on during my practice time. I have zero confidence around the greens.  Much work to do!

I took a class several months ago on short game techniques.  It was a one day Dave Peltz school which was very informative.  I have the knowledge but somehow it's not soaking through into my game.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Since it was rather chilly and foggy today, I went to the practice area.  No one was there.  Spent 30 minutes pitching balls to the practice green from 25-50 yards with LW, SW, and PW watching the landing and run-out.  Then I moved to the range and hit maybe 60 balls in about 30 minutes.  After the range I moved to the chipping/putting area and spent 30 minutes on each.  2 hours!  I saw a couple of groups make the turn, but nobody came to the practice area in those 2 hours.

I have found that I have a tendency to position the ball a little too far forward in my stance, probably from where I think the ball for the driver should be played.  When I move the ball back a couple of inches, I make a better strike on the ball and my straight ball has a draw tendency, whereas with the ball too far forward my straight ball has a cut tendency.  What a difference those couple of inches make!  I need to spend more time getting used to the new position.

Since it was rather chilly and foggy today, I went to the practice area. No one was there. Spent 30 minutes pitching balls to the practice green from 25-50 yards with LW, SW, and PW watching the landing and run-out. Then I moved to the range and hit maybe 60 balls in about 30 minutes. After the range I moved to the chipping/putting area and spent 30 minutes on each. 2 hours! I saw a couple of groups make the turn, but nobody came to the practice area in those 2 hours.

I have found that I have a tendency to position the ball a little too far forward in my stance, probably from where I think the ball for the driver should be played. When I move the ball back a couple of inches, I make a better strike on the ball and my straight ball has a draw tendency, whereas with the ball too far forward my straight ball has a cut tendency. What a difference those couple of inches make! I need to spend more time getting used to the new position.

Great short game workout! Man if you can do that even once a week, in a short time you'll be an ACE!!!

Yeah ball position is soooo key - obviously, as the club gets shorter the ball should relatively further back in the stance (very small increments).

Tom Watson talks about finding the bottom of your arc (on chips and pitches) and positioning the ball approx -1/4 inch "behind" (back of) that spot - promotes a clean ball-first strike.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Spent an hour outside in coldish weather practicing a swing in an open field with a bag full of shag balls.Going real well and better than I expected.Only issue is short irons, for some reason my inside swing plane causes me to push more than usual. Rest of bag is fine with nice draws or straight balls.Darn wedges miss right

Thinking about bending wedges upright to compensate for my shallower approach and more inside path. Hoping more upright my offset this miss

Here in Oz it's coming into our summer, so at the moment we are getting light until after 8:30pm.  Gonna enjoy it while it lasts!!

Worked on 50-60y pitches with 56deg wedge (watching the 'zip' and roll out with 1/4 - 1/2 swing), and chipping bump and run style with different irons/wedges from appx 25y.

I would hit 5 shots at a time, then go onto the green to putt them for up & downs, as per game conditions.

Needed to work on the putting.  I have a tendency to lift my head quickly & chase the putt, so was working on a nice smooth stroke and staying down, only following the ball with my eyes and head turn.   Managed quite a few up and downs from putting distances of 3-15ft, and if the putts missed they were tap ins.

Feel like I accomplished a bit, and am now heading down the right path from this simple 40 min session.  The secret is to back it up next time!

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful day in South Florida. I took a lesson and found my swing on the range. Our back range is very quiet. There's an eagle's nest in the trees on the right. I could hear the baby egglets chirping while I was hitting balls.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

attachicon.gif1213161247.jpg

Beautiful day in South Florida. I took a lesson and found my swing on the range. Our back range is very quiet. There's an eagle's nest in the trees on the right. I could hear the baby egglets chirping while I was hitting balls.

My wife photographs birds and she would ❤️ love to see an eagle!

Good on you for getting back on board with your swing ⛳️

Cleveland

Your wife would love this course olegray. All kinds of birds and other forms of wild life up to and including gators.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Your wife would love this course olegray. All kinds of birds and other forms of wild life up to and including gators.

Yes she would! Maybe we can make it down there one of these days ⛳️

Cleveland

I wish I had my phone out because I practiced with one of those eagles soring over the range for much of my session.

Hogan said never practice in a left to right into you wind. I would second that. The sad thing is that I could have gone to the other side of the range and had right to left down wind. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hogan said never practice in a left to right into you wind.

For the uninitiated .. why is that?

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

I'd have to re-read Hogan but the short of it is that it causes the bad habits of aiming left and the make an overly aggressive move that we'd call over the top to start it even further left to keep it on target.

If you watch a lot of golf you'll hear interviews where guys say that it takes time to get their swings recalibrated after playing in a left to right cross wind in the British open.

Its way better to avoid that wind when practicing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Aha, interesting! Thx for that info!

(so mebbe I will try to hit lefty if I'm stuck in that situation )

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Got out and hit 100 balls today with the, well mostly new bag as only two clubs saw any time last year. I think me and the TMBs are going to get along just fine. Worked mostly on grip, alignment and release. Worked through the bag well and finished with a few nice piped drives.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Got out to the putting green for the 3rd time in 4 days. Working on my initial impression for the sentio review.

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Back out again today and one more day and I can call it a streak. Still working on alignment and grip to get into good habits. Second day that I hit my irons really well so hoping the honeymoon with the new irons is an extended one. Also got the driver dialed in with a shaft change.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Mild day here on New Year's Day; so I dragged the practice setup out to the back patio for some chipping. Didn't do all that great, tho, only averaged 1 out of 10 into the bucket (about 25ish feet away) .. but then only missed the net about the same nbr of times, and half those were just over the top (so I'm calling that a "good miss" ).

IMG_20170101_135815936.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg