TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

I like to listen to music while I practice and I'll break up my practice based on songs (keeps it from getting too robotic and repetitive that way).  Last night I spent one song working on some non-club drills, two songs taking half swings trying to get into the right impact position, two songs just taking full swings only thinking about the target (as I would on the course).  Then one final song doing some putting.  I'll typically follow the same routing but work on different aspects of the swing in the first few songs.

If anyone has ever felt like they lost their swing overnight and then struggled for an hour on the range to find out what was wrong and then decided to stop practicing bad habits (whatever it is)... that's me today.

Had the opposite happen to me this weekend before a round. Swing was spot on at the range, then no where to be seen on the course! Usually, I don't have a problem bringing the range game to the course but this was just something I normally don't experience. Ah well. Yesterday all was right again.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Went to the range this morning to figure out what the hell was going on with this snap hook.  Turned out to be a rather quick fix as it was just a pure lack of lower body in the swing - I wasn't clearing my front hip and getting my weight off of my back foot.

Focused on getting my belt buckle to the target and it really helped me sync my upper and lower body to eliminate the lefts!

Went to the range just to gut check my swing after playing on a member guest all last week and having a bad last day.

Realized it's clubhead position at impact; think I got too quick and too lazy with it but now it's good.

Also, my wedges got beat up hitting off hardpan desert all week, so started looking for replacements, but realized I liked the PM grind too much so will just buy replacements.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Putts & wedges, the Project (a) was rolling out a little more then the TP5.

A little different than what I was seeing so far this year.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Putts & wedges, the Project (a) was rolling out a little more then the TP5.

A little different than what I was seeing so far this year.

I used those projects for half a season. Got super high spin with driver and not much with wedges. Bought a bucket load of the RBZ Urethanes used and they are much better. Golf balls direct has them for $5 a dozen, AAAA.

- Alan

I was able to get out on the grass yesterday and I did 2 buckets and was tinkering with my loft settings on my driver. I've been using 10.5U on my Mizuno JPX EZ for over a year now. I read that slower swing speeds need higher loft. Mixed results. So I'm switching back to normal for my weekly match with my buddy!

Plus I did get 1/2 bucket with Woody (3W) and is nice and dialed in!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I'm on a two week break. After a frustrating 2 man scramble last weekend I'm taking a very brief hiatus. If it wasn't for a work golf tournament next week it would be about a 3 week break

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Short irons with sticks to align myself and the club to the target line.  Missed too many greens lately with 8,9,w in my had.  Hopefully the work will pay off!

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

Worked on my last lesson updates.I was told to over emphasize opening the club face all the way from transition to follow thru.And at the same time open my lower body towards target earlier.A little awkward feeling.But the ball will go dead straight when done correctly and long

Keep it in the short stuff

Played my first round of the year this week (finally).  Actually rather pleased with my ball striking, which I've been able to practice indoors over the witner, but I really need more work on my short game!!  I just don't have the distance control from around 60 yards and in, or with chipping.

Weather is finally looking good for the week, so I'm planning to get at least a couple of rounds in and some extra practice with my wedges.

Still waiting for my regular set of clubs to arrive, since my irons needed adjustment after my fitting & my new hybrid and putter were ordered.  The Epic driver is definitely meeting my expectations & keeping me in the fairway with distance that equals or exceeds that of the Titleist that's getting bumped to backup.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Still working on my short game. Can't seem to get those chips where a bit of carry is needed to land on the green. End up blading them. On the practice green I start out this way but eventually can get into a groove and hit the chip well. Doesn't carry over to the course

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Worked with my swing coach at the they range today

IMG_20170508_105118_119.jpg

Love this! I did the same thing when I had my first one. Had a lot of funny looks but I went to the far side of the range in case she cried. Got an hour here or there of range time this way.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Went to the range, practiced full swing, really hunting targets and switching between clubs very frequently as opposed to hitting several balls in frequent concession. After I was warmed up, mentally played the front nine adding up score in my head. Didn't do very well mainly because I was struggling with my driver. I cant seem to work on that enough, I have weeks and months when my driving is super consistent, then I will slice 2 in a row on the course and not be able to establish any consistency thereafter for a few weeks.

I then went and practiced my putting for 45 minutes until my back couldn't handle it anymore. Primarily putts 7-15 feet, trying to really drain shots that could potentially be for birdie or to save a tough up and down for par. Used a metronome for rhythm, I was putting better than usual.

After that I practiced hitting low spinning pitch shots in that 40-80 yard range. Trying to get shots that will check up and stop rolling out more quickly. The course I play is often times extremely windy, so hitting high pitches up in the air where the wind is pretty unpredictable is just out of the question and I have been struggling to make perfect contact with those shots consistently. This means lots of practice shallowing out my swing on pitches for a lower flight, trying to really compress  and spin the ball. I was surprised at how easy and consistent it was once I got the hang of it. Especially easy when attacking a green thats sloped towards you. Like throwing darts!

I need to find a way to increase the pressure on myself, I have a tendency to do a lot of volume practice when trying to learn something new or engrave something in my mind and get used to it. I would like to put myself in more real golf situations to increase consistency on the course. Any recommendations?

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

Went to a putting green near my house to work on chipping and putting. Also to test out the Bridgestone E6's vs Prov1 for MGS.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Yesterday I worked in full swing and trying to minimize toe hits. My miss on the clubface is off the toe. After finishing my MGS most wanted iron testing I utilized their launch monitor and golfspy sam to help figure out what was going on. Seems like we might have identified the issue and the fix. Will see how it goes in tomorrow's testing and my golf league in Thursday. The bonus is that it seems to have also improved contact on my short game shots

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Took another lesson yesterday and went in backyard net to groove it.Pro had me do a drill where I toe in the face of the club at address substantially.I than grip it normal and the face is awkwardly shut.He said my goal is to hit the Ball and open the club face wide to hit ball in transition.If I don't open , I slice like crazy even with the extreme closed face.That club will drop like Sergio when I do this right and go very long for me

Keep it in the short stuff

I read this (found it on Twitter, from PluggedInGolf)....

---

“Habit and Skill in Golf”

By: Matt Saternus

Co-Founder, Editor In Chief at PluggedInGolf.com

You Are What You Do

Before I taught golf, I taught high school students how to take standardized tests like the ACT. One of the biggest frustrations in that job was students who wouldn't do the simple things that would help them score better. When I would point out that they were failing to use best practices, they would say, “Yeah, I know, I'll do that on the real test.” My response was always the same, “No, you won't. You are what you do.” These students often had the talent to score well, but they didn't have the habits or skills.

How does any of this apply to golf? I'm glad you asked.

Defining the Terms

Before we get into the lesson, let me define my terms.

Talent

Talent is what you're capable of, your potential. If someone picks up a club for the first time and swings it over 110 MPH, they're very talented in terms of speed. Someone who can hit a fade when they want to, even if it's not 100% of the time, has the talent to hit a fade.

Habit

Habit is what you do regularly. If you take one lazy practice swing before every shot, that's your habit. If you line up every putt meticulously, that's a habit.

Skill

Skill is how you perform when it counts. If you can shoot in the 70's, you're a skilled golfer. If you shoot in the 100's, you're not. Skill is where talent and habit collide.

Talent + Habits = Skill

What I tried to teach each student was that there are habits that could enhance their talent and make them a more skilled test taker. There are also habits that will inhibit your talent‘s ability to show through making you less skilled. This is true in golf as well.

Here's an example: during his lesson, Ray can hit a cut on command. He mentally commits to hitting a cut and visualizes the the shot. Standing behind the ball, he makes a practice swing with a slightly exaggerated cut mechanics. Then he steps up to the ball, looks at the target, and hits a beautiful cut. When he's alone on the range, however, Ray doesn't commit to his shot or visualize, and he doesn't take a practice swing. The results are hit and miss, just like they are on the course. Ray is baffled about why he's so much better during his lessons.

From our perspective, it's easy to see that Ray's instructor doesn't have any magic. Ray simply doesn't have the habits that will turn his talent into on-course skill.

What Are Good Habits for You?

In test taking, there are a set of habits that I teach to every student. In golf, there's more variability, but some things are universal. Committing to your shot is a must. Whether you do this in your mind or “call your shot” out loud, committing to your shot boosts your chances for success by removing doubt and confusion. I believe visualization is universally helpful, too. This doesn't need to take a long time, but getting a clear mental picture of what you want to do is very beneficial.

Finding the other habits that will help you to be successful requires some experimentation. Do you like taking practice swings, or do you prefer to play in a faster, more reactive state? Where do you take your practice swings – behind the ball, from your address position, or somewhere else? Are your shots better when you take your time or move quickly? Collect some data while trying different things on the range. Try things that are outside your comfort zone. The results may surprise you.

Ingrain Good Habits

Once you've decided what your best habits are, you need to make them as routine as breathing. That means that when you practice, you do those things on every shot. This will make your practice more like your play and your play more like your practice.

Once you've discovered and ingrained the habits that unlock your talent, you'll see your on course skills take a huge leap forward.

Source:

http://pluggedingolf.com/habit-and-skill-in-golf/

---

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I read this (found it on Twitter, from PluggedInGolf)....

---

“Habit and Skill in Golf”

By: Matt Saternus

Co-Founder, Editor In Chief at PluggedInGolf.com

Source:

http://pluggedingolf.com/habit-and-skill-in-golf/

---

Golfspy Matt -  one of the original MyGolfSpy members, if memory serves me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Golfspy Matt - one of the original MyGolfSpy members, if memory serves me.

Ah, interesting .. it is a well-written piece

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Lol,was watching my take away with the full length mirror in my bedroom last night to see if I'm rolling the club to far inside causing it to get stuck (wife just shook her head and wasn't surprised that I was doing that AND I had a golf club in the bedroom).

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Lol,was watching my take away with the full length mirror in my bedroom last night to see if I'm rolling the club to far inside causing it to get stuck (wife just shook her head and wasn't surprised that I was doing that AND I had a golf club in the bedroom).

MDGolfHacker

Don't worry. I do that daily. Just have to watch out for the cats, if I take a swing and hit one of those beasts... I'm afraid of the clean up I'd have to do.

- Alan

Practiced on making solid contact in the center of the club face. I lay out three balls in a row, just far enough apart so that the club face can go cleanly through the middle ball. I hit a large bucket of balls this way, moving from my 56* wedge, 8 iron, 5 iron through 5 wood.

Don't worry. I do that daily. Just have to watch out for the cats, if I take a swing and hit one of those beasts... I'm afraid of the clean up I'd have to do.

- Alan

Apparently, watching my swing in the mirror didn't help my golf swing last night, lol :(

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

MDGolfHacker

I'm not sure what's wrong with that.  Oh BTW, my wife has 3 golf clubs in the bedroom.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure what's wrong with that. Oh BTW, my wife has 3 golf clubs in the bedroom. ;)

😂😂😂

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: