TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Iron mini game on the range with friends.

Someone picks a flag, 2 people get 3 balls each to see who gets closest. Just for bragging rights.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Hit exactly 100 balls with a 7 iron to find a common miss.

25 balls hard hook

30 balls hard slice

10 balls thin-top

30 balls fat

5 Shanks

What you think?(rounded to avoid odd numbers)

Out of 100 balls, there HAS to be one good one, NO?   :blink:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

no.Im really struggling.Its like I forgot how to play this game

I feel your pain. I hit my "what the hell am I holding" phase of my game this past week. With the minor shoulder injury... took 3 days off and I forgot what a golf club was.

Got a big scramble next weekend with the Pops. Gotta bring my A game. We were -12 last year and came in second behind a -13. Won't be -1 if I don't get my S#it together.

- Alan

I feel your pain. I hit my "what the hell am I holding" phase of my game this past week. With the minor shoulder injury... took 3 days off and I forgot what a golf club was.

Got a big scramble next weekend with the Pops. Gotta bring my A game. We were -12 last year and came in second behind a -13. Won't be -1 if I don't get my S#it together.

- Alan

you sound like a great player Alan.Im sure you will do just fine and have fun.Im going to maybe take a plunge and try the Venetos golf program

Keep it in the short stuff

Totally different grips. Last full round I was playing with interlock and overlap to see what kind of results I would get.  It is amazing how different of a golf swing is used in both grips. I played for many years with overlap but switched to interlock for about 5 years. Now I am trying to see what may be better. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

Took my new toys to the range -- Cobra King OS 5i-PW with Recoil 807s (from a Club Champion fitting). I may be in love ;-) (again)

No, it wasn't all perfect right out of the gate but the upside is I need a few more range sessions and practice rounds to re-learn my distances!

For example, what I thought was my 3/4 gripped-down pitch swing for 100 yards with the PW was flying past and when I realized I was overly manipulating the swing and pace for that flag I had to pick a new target. Similar with 8 and 9 .. so worked on swinging easy and steady and making clean contact.

The 7i - I started catching flush right away and I'm not even gonna say the number I was hitting without​ a few more range sessions and practice rounds. The 6i was not as astounding as the 7 .. first time out, anyway .. but I was hitting it at least as good if not better than any other 6i I've had so far.

The 5i is where it gets more interesting: I already had the King OS 5i, though with a lighter Recoil 460 ES in it (the fitter sent that club to their build shop to get re-shafted). During the fitting it was decided I was doing better with a bit heavier shaft, plus the fitter ordered the clubs with a D4 (!!!??!!!) swing weight .. I'd asked him about this and he assured me it would work for me. Otherwise I can "..come back in anytime for lifetime free adjustments."

Which I may end up doing for the 5i, and possibly the 6i too, but only after a few more times with them at the range and in practice rounds. But on that first trial run I think they felt a bit heavy to me .. like I needed to exert more effort to swing them. We'll see!

Today, I just practiced some putting - seemed to not be doing so well with it this year (not that I'm such a hot putter anyway) and have gone a bit crazy trying out new putters AND new putting grip styles.

So went back to my Odyssey #1W with a conventional grip but worked on...

-- focusing on the front of the ball (and avoiding looking at the putter head);

-- taking a shorter and straighter back backstroke;

-- leading with the back of my left hand through the stroke; and

-- holding my position, especially my head, after the stroke.

Seemed to be starting the ball on-line better and more consistently, and hitting the target distance pretty consistently .. .. but we'll see if all that good stuff translates on to the course...!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I did a very rare range visit today.  Focused on getting center contact with my wedges, as I have been having trouble with approach shots lately.  Used the Dr. Scholl's foot spray, and had a few towards the heel and toe early but the more I focused on a smooth takeaway and tempo, the more I hit the center.  I will probably go again tomorrow just to see if I can repeat it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Putting and chipping.

Dare I say it feels like the short game practice is starting to pay off? Have not quantified it but seems like I'm making fewer really bad mistakes (but yeah still some sorta bad mistakes...) paired with more shots getting closer.

I'm learning, for chipping and pitching, to start with a very basic, simple motion and then make small adjustments based on the shot and lie.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Getting reacquainted with my Hogan irons. Hit balls on Tuesday and played on Wednesday with steel shafts and my right elbow feels like it is going to fall off. Looks like it is graphite from here on out for me or at least until I decide to get surgery. Hit about 60 balls and worked on ball flight and tempo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

When I was fit at the Sawgrass Tour Performance Center my fitter, who fit tons of tour players including Sergio, said that he thought graphite use in irons on tour would reach about 40 percent by 2025. No shame in graphite.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Worked on getting my 3/4 swing back apparently after not playing for 2 weeks waiting for clubs I lost the feeling for where the top of my swing was. Was video taping myself to get it back because I hit it further with a 3/4 swing than I do full swing. Plus practiced out of the sand.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Planned on hitting the range tonight to work on a few changes. It was still 98 degrees out so I just did some position drills in front of a mirror and swung the orange whip 50 times or so. Supposed to be 120 degrees in a few days....yey!On the bright side green fees will be low and I will have the whole course to myself. Gotta love AZ summer golf.

Took the Epic and my XR16 3w for a test drive on the range today. Solid stuff, can't wait to play on Friday! The face on the XR16 feels so hot

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

How to handle hitting the ball off of wet turf. That's the order of business here from now until October. They did some work on our range so now it's able to stay open where it didn't use to.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rolled putts all day while watching the US Open. Had to make the best of a rainy day off with not much else to do.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

https://vimeo.com/221374494

This video WILL transform your pivot, my swing speed has gone up 5mph by simply watching this video..

It is not a joke.

I expect to gain more with a little practice..

Can stress it enough, all his videos and super valuable.

I studied his YouTube videos.And there is no way in a million years can i physically do this.

Keep it in the short stuff

I'm happy that some benefit from You tube videos - I guess I'm too old school - I prefer my teacher.  He makes his living by working hard, keeping up on modern theory and technology and interacting with his students to bring out the best in our games. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Some putting and chipping.

Putting:

Primarily working on .. consistent .. distance control. I take two balls, drop them about 6" apart so I'm not repeating the exact same putt, and start with a further away target and try to get both close. Use the first ball as a "tracker" and try to get the second ball inside of that.

Then switch to "scoring" putting and try to sink those two. Today seemed to be an equal opportunity burn both edges of the cup kinda day (usually I burn the right edge).

Then switch back to long lag putts at a new target, followed by the (attempted) scoring putts. Work on long and short putts going uphill, downhill and crosshill - with both right side and left side high breaks.

Chipping:

Also work on consistent distance control. There's a big enough sized area of rough-cut grass circling the putting green - I drop two balls, about 6" apart, pick a target and try to put the first ball on to the target. Then I try to put the second ball on to the same spot.

Try to hit the two balls the same, but then when I go pick them up to chip again, I'll alternate hitting the next two either a little higher or a little lower, a little shorter or a little further, or a combo .. eg. lower and further.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Still working on center contact on my wedges, and I am getting better.  I actually found out that by addressing the ball a little open with my stance and having my shoulders square like I would hit a pitch shot works very well for full swings with all clubs.  I am making better contact and distance has increased.  Now I need to take it to the course to see if it works there and to see how much my yardages have changed.  This could be a real confidence booster.

Still working on center contact on my wedges, and I am getting better. I actually found out that by addressing the ball a little open with my stance and having my shoulders square like I would hit a pitch shot works very well for full swings with all clubs. I am making better contact and distance has increased. Now I need to take it to the course to see if it works there and to see how much my yardages have changed. This could be a real confidence booster.

If you want a tip from Golf Channel...

Martin Hall (who IMO is the best instructor / coach on there) suggests getting a stick of plumbing putty from the hardware store .. it's about 1/2" thick and stays pliable .. cut off two squares and stick them on the clubface towards the outer edges - just a bit wider than the ball.

He actually demonstrated this with a putter, but mentioned to try it with wedges and irons.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

If you want a tip from Golf Channel...

Martin Hall (who IMO is the best instructor / coach on there) suggests getting a stick of plumbing putty from the hardware store .. it's about 1/2" thick and stays pliable .. cut off two squares and stick them on the clubface towards the outer edges - just a bit wider than the ball.

He actually demonstrated this with a putter, but mentioned to try it with wedges and irons.

lol.  2-3 hits and the face would be covered with putty!  My guess is that the range wouldn't like that all over the balls either.

Worked on hitting a few 100 yd approaches on a few holes. The first one plays to a somewhat shallow green between 15 to 20 feet above the uphill lie from where I was; when I got.up there I found...

IMG_20170625_184447979%7E2.jpg

The two to the right of the flag were the first two shots; my third shot is off the green but pin high and about 20 yds or so behind the pin from this view; and the ball to the left of the flag was a wedge shot from the rough below the green after I totally chunked duffed hacked what was the fourth shot .. but I'm happy with the "save" :)

Second hole hit two balls, nailed the first but the second went way long and a bit right. Third hole hit three to a small, sloping green and all went pretty close on line but all also landed about 10 yds short :(

But overall feel like I'm making progress!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Here's a sign your range session didn't go so well. MDGolfHacker claimed he was working on short chip shots. Ha

For the record, this was after our morning per wee camp took a break. Although I think our pro needed a break more. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Here's a sign your range session didn't go so well. MDGolfHacker claimed he was working on short chip shots. Ha

attachicon.gif20170627_105547

For the record, this was after our morning per wee camp took a break. Although I think our pro needed a break more. Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hahaha! I almost took a picture like this today! Same amount of range balls just chilling 3 yards from the tee. Nice grouping... I saw the guy leave the range, he wasn't smiling.

Thanks for sharing CG2!

- Alan