Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Spent a good hour working only on 5,6,7 irons, to get rid of a few bad habits that I've picked up lately.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My bad habit is leaving myself a yardage where I have to pull 6 or 7 iron. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My bad habit is leaving myself a yardage where I have to pull 6 or 7 iron. :)

Swear, give me a 4i into a tight green and I'll make it look easy, but give me a 7i into a big green and I find somewhere on the planet to hit it!

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Swear, give me a 4i into a tight green and I'll make it look easy, but give me a 7i into a big green and I find somewhere on the planet to hit it!

Same for me only it's any iron vs any wedge. Don't know why but that 75-100 distance boggles me no matter how much practice I put into it.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Same for me only it's any iron vs any wedge. Don't know why but that 75-100 distance boggles me no matter how much practice I put into it.

Haha you should ask HulaRock about that 78yd wedge...

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Today's line up:

15 minutes of 15-75 yard wedges

30 minutes of mid irons/long irons

30 minutes of fairway metal

45 minutes on the putting green

Working on a major swing change, but when I do it right I get great results. Just need to ingrain it to muscle memory.

Wish I had that kind of time to dedicate to practicing. Also wish I had someplace close that has a great practice area. I do know of someplace, but I doubt I could get a key to the MGS testing facility.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wish I had that kind of time to dedicate to practicing. Also wish I had someplace close that has a great practice area. I do know of someplace, but I doubt I could get a key to the MGS testing facility.

My practice area really isn't all that great. But the range tee box is 60 yards wide. I pace off the yards and use a range bucket as my target.

Every once and a while I go to to the other course theirs an actual practice area, but it's full of A-Holes, so I try to avoid them at all costs. It's always full.

- Alan

My practice area really isn't all that great. But the range tee box is 60 yards wide. I pace off the yards and use a range bucket as my target.

Every once and a while I go to to the other course theirs an actual practice area, but it's full of A-Holes, so I try to avoid them at all costs. It's always full.

- Alan

So you've gotta hope the range is totally empty? You ever hit it in the bucket?

So you've gotta hope the range is totally empty? You ever hit it in the bucket?

The range is usually empty, if not I park at the end with the bunker and work on that.

And yes, just once I hit the bucket, anything within 5' is good, but I'm upping the ante to inside the handle of whatever club I used. But I have dunked two chips from 15 yards dead in the hole on the practice green, no bounce, just bucket in the last few weeks.

- Alan

Guess it is all about timing to get the empty range. I Never thought about using the range that way but it is great for working on pitches

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My course is a muni and play is heavy all day long, even during the week.  The range always has someone on hit.  However, the other end of the range is used for lessons and while it has quite a bit of use this time of the year, there are periods of the day and certain days when it's empty.  Nobody goes there except those that have had lessons, and I asked if I could practice there.  It's OK as long as it's empty.  The advantage of that end of the range is you have access to uphill and downhill lies, not just flat.  My course has a lot of uneven lies!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ready to send this baby to kingdom come with my Cobra F7 Connect driver in the MyGolfSpy Cobra Connect challenge...just waiting on the mailman to bring that beauty on down...#theWaitingIsTheHardestPart

IMG_20170731_165036078.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I "worked" from home today and got bored like 2 hours ago. Went to the range to hit a bucket to work through some issues with my driver swing - they close at 2pm on Mondays. Oh well, walked to the putting green where I need way more work anyways, and put in 45 minutes working on 15+ footers and 20 minutes inside 10 feet. Kinda had a aha! moment once I started focusing on the grass in front of the ball, where I would look at the ball previously. I might be on to something with that one.

You guys look at the ball while you putt, or in front? Behind? Up in the air and pray?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I "worked" from home today and got bored like 2 hours ago. Went to the range to hit a bucket to work through some issues with my driver swing - they close at 2pm on Mondays. Oh well, walked to the putting green where I need way more work anyways, and put in 45 minutes working on 15+ footers and 20 minutes inside 10 feet. Kinda had a aha! moment once I started focusing on the grass in front of the ball, where I would look at the ball previously. I might be on to something with that one.

You guys look at the ball while you putt, or in front? Behind? Up in the air and pray?

I started looking ahead of the ball on my intended line last year. It has helped greatly. I just focus at that point and if I hit that point I did my job.

Sent from my SM-T707V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I started looking ahead of the ball on my intended line last year. It has helped greatly. I just focus at that point and if I hit that point I did my job.

Sent from my SM-T707V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Works better for me, too - replaces focus on the movement of the putter head and stroke mechanics with focus on your line.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I started pulling a Spieth and looking at the hole or halfway to the hole. Frees up by atroke a lot.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Very interesting, I am going to try this next time I hit the practice green

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Front dimple for short game, back dimple for full swings. That's what I was taught anyways

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Works better for me, too - replaces focus on the movement of the putter head and stroke mechanics with focus on your line.

That's EXACTLY what I feel like it does for me. I used to concentrate more on going straight back and through, really made me realize why I miss so often!

I started pulling a Spieth and looking at the hole or halfway to the hole. Frees up by atroke a lot.

That might be a LITTLE too much for me lol. I might shank it hardcore.

Very interesting, I am going to try this next time I hit the practice green

I definitely recommend at least rolling a few like this. I read somewhere on the net that when you watch the ball, your head naturally wants to follow it immediately. I always thought that the pros were pausing deliberately before looking at the ball go towards the cup (not saying everyone putts like this, just an observation) and maybe this is the case? I know Tiger used to pause, because I used to try to copy him when I was young, just because he was Tiger and that was cool.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

start out putting for 30-1hour

hit 30balls with wedges

hit 15balls in bunker

hit 15balls irons 8,6,4

hit 15balls irons 9,7,5

hit 5-10balls 3w

hit 5-10balls driver

putt again for 15-30mins

go home

if warming up to play

putt for 10-15mins to get feel of it

10balls wedges only

10balls irons 8,6,4

5balls 3wood

5balls driver

I've been doing this for 3 years now.   I have much better speed control, and as long as I line up the ball to the line of the putt and the putter to the line on the ball, direction is good too.  There is no tendency to peek early, which for me causes a push to the right.  It's a little scary at first, especially on longer putts, to trust the line but with time, you get used to it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Practiced putting for a whole hour today. Wanted to get my stroke feeling good in case I get chosen for a certain....thing.

After a general warm-up, focused on one hand putts, different gate drills, lefty cleanup, and finished with lag-n-makes. Unfortunately I had more 3 putts than I would like.

side note: I used impact tape the whole time. What's the point? You don't swing a putter hard enough for it to make a mark.

side note: I used impact tape the whole time. What's the point? You don't swing a putter hard enough for it to make a mark.

I haven't had that problem with impact tape on a putter. But another option would be foot powder like people use for full swing. You could also put band-aid on you putter to feel the mishits.

Guess it is all about timing to get the empty range. I Never thought about using the range that way but it is great for working on pitches

Another great place is in a casual round between holes if you have to wait. Play closest to the tee marker for a quarter or dollar or drink with your playing companions.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Another great place is in a casual round between holes if you have to wait. Play closest to the tee marker for a quarter or dollar or drink with your playing companions.

Don't do then "betting" aspect but that is my wait on the tee box routine. Unfortunately, my short game has only gotten marginally better. I really need to take some time and really do some focused work on my 50 yards and in game.

My wife and I played nine last night, it was 104*.  Tomorrow we are playing in a charity scramble starting at 1pm.  Not sure what the temp will be, but today it's supposed to be 106*, so I went to the course early this morning to practice.  I spent about an hour hitting pitch shots from 20 and 40 yards because the pitching green was empty.

Then moved to the putting green for about 30 minutes working on speed control.  I went back to my old putter last night, and I needed to work on getting the ball to the hole.  Didn't take long; came back quickly.  When the putting green emptied out from people heading to the first tee, I practiced chip shots with my 58* from a downhill lie about 10 feet off the green, followed by tight lie chips from the frog hair.

The range cleared out as the last few groups headed to the tee, so I hit a couple of 6i and then about 20 balls with the driver.  I don't usually practice on the range but I wanted to see if I could hit fades and draws on demand... they all went straight, so I guess I'll keep playing that.  

Don't do then "betting" aspect but that is my wait on the tee box routine. Unfortunately, my short game has only gotten marginally better. I really need to take some time and really do some focused work on my 50 yards and in game.

The betting will help because who likes to loose? My college roommates and I can get very creative. It sharpens both your game and your negotiation skills.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Heat index of 106 so I went to the range early today.

Im just about there in regards to the tweaks that my teacher made. I'm hitting lots of quality shots and the misses are getting fewer and better.

It's time to work harder on the short game. I spent twenty minutes around the green today including in the bunker. Lots of balls laying around, I hit random shots from where ever they lay.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Brought the new Cobra to the range today and wowza!  Sharp penetrating flight that just goes and goes.... (I'm in ðŸ’š)

IMG_20170804_122640569_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170804_122707898_HDR.jpg

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: