Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Thanks -  I will try it before my Saturday round and see what happens...in any case, I will dance with the one I brung!!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Thanks -  I will try it before my Saturday round and see what happens...in any case, I will dance with the one I brung!!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

Practice/played only a few holes today (course was busy and I needed to get back home, plus the old back is sore so had to keep it short) and focused on just two specific things:

1. Hit a 6i solid off the tee and into the fairway; and

2. Hit a solid second shot.

Accomplished #1 twice in a row, and while the two second shots were solid - GW both times (course is pretty short) - on the first hole I was right online but literally 1 yd short and on the second hole I had the right distance but ended up less than 1 yd left of the green. So all in all I'm happy with those four shots .. a much needed confidence booster!

I tee'ed off on the third hole with 6i (usual club for this tee) but it turned left and outside of the dogleg right. Playable, but took a second tee shot and this one went into the dogleg and faded off a bit and ended in the rough just on the far side of the fairway -- very playable with a "good look" onto the green.

So now on to a small bit of short game practice.

Time to try something new, drawing some inspiration from forum thread...

"That one shot you wished you had, and how to get it"

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20923-That-one-shot-you-wished-you-had,-and-how-to-get-it.

...and also from a response in there from @STUDque...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20923-That-one-shot-you-wished-you-had,-and-how-to-get-it.&do=findComment&comment=327851

...where he outlines a long, low running pitch shot.

Had hit short pitches on those two tee shot balls to get them near each other and inside of the 100 yd marker. Now for the new test: can I punch/pitch these towards the green from back here .. vs a 'standard' wedge shot .. and get them to rollout towards the hole?

Test 1: good contact, ball is flying straight but a bit higher than expected so hits a few feet past my landing spot and rolls out too much and to the far edge of the green and just into the rough. OK, not a total fail, but dropped a shot there I would be trying to save.....

Test 2: a little more shaft lean and a little less oomph. Comes out lower and slower, hits my spot and rolls onto the green .. ending up maybe 7-8 ft "below" the hole, with a makeable putt. OK .. I'm calling that one a success!

So something new to work on!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Working on 60 yard shots again. 7 iron landing at 40 yards 6-8' high will roll out that 20. 53° mid traj 20-25' 57° floaters 30+'. And a driving PW that's 10-15' high that takes a high hop then bites.

Have had a left to right wind here for the last 2 weeks. It really sucks to practice in that if you have a natural fade, I can't tell how much is my actual shot and how much is the wind. I'm talking 15+mph winds.

Trying to get out early Saturday for some warm up before the tournament starts at 10.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Alan, et-al.....

Well, fixed one thing, broke two others!!!  - My drives (by and large) found the fairways- I did as you suggested, slowed down and made sure I committed to and finished the shot. 

That said, my Iron play - and my 3 wood, for that matter, went off the rails- I normally play a baby draw, but all thru the weekend I was pushing everything, sometimes with a fade to boot.  best I can figure, I was sliding my hips forward during the downswing, which really REALLY bothers me- That was a thing I struggled with several years ago, and it seems to have reared its ugly head again - any recommendations or drills to prevent that slide, and to promote a full turn, would be appreciated!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

4 swings in yesterday...pulled a back muscle.  So there is that.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Alan, et-al.....

Well, fixed one thing, broke two others!!! - My drives (by and large) found the fairways- I did as you suggested, slowed down and made sure I committed to and finished the shot.

That said, my Iron play - and my 3 wood, for that matter, went off the rails- I normally play a baby draw, but all thru the weekend I was pushing everything, sometimes with a fade to boot. best I can figure, I was sliding my hips forward during the downswing, which really REALLY bothers me- That was a thing I struggled with several years ago, and it seems to have reared its ugly head again - any recommendations or drills to prevent that slide, and to promote a full turn, would be appreciated!

I'm struggling with that push fade too. Just in time for the season to be over. Lessons, properly fit clubs, and dedicated practice is my goals for next year.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

Well, here it goes.. Had 8:00am tee time Sat. Father in law, wife and myself. perfect morning.. 

Get to the course and then it starts.. Wife Flushes her sunglasses.. Great this is going to cost me.. They were Fossil brand had them for a couple years but they were not cheap.. 

Move onto the important stuff. Open with a double.. Not happy but OK.. then i take a bogey after leaving tee shot behind a tree, OK i'll take my medicine.. Par #3 thats more like it.. That is where it ended.. I'm 11 over through 7.

I get to 8 Long straight par 5. My tee shot doesn't even make the forward tee.. Major D!ck out.. My wife now is out driving me before she even hits a ball.. Errrr. 3 wood to 225. 3 wood to the greenside bunker.. ok I might save a par.. ON know. I have to KNEEL on the edge of the bunker to be able to hit it. i do get it out on 1. but a long way from the pin.. I finish the front 14 over... 

Head to the back, Same thing on 10 another double. I scramble to save a bogey on 11.. the next 7 holes I play 1 over, including a chip in and a drive on a downhill par 4 that find the fringe.. 

i Shoot 51/38.. WTH.. I could not buy a bogey on the front niine. and then i end up with a 4 over back nine.. What the hell.. I hate this game. 

Good news Wilson D300's are getting better.. LOL

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Dave, I hear you- Sunday's match, I am 135 out, center cut fairway on the first hole, end up short left, on the edge of a greenside bunker in 4 inch long rough caused by a trough where the motorized rakes enter the bunker- can barely get the club on the ball, which ends up in the bunker.  Short sided myself, laying 4 in the bunker, get out (long of the pin) and two put for a triple.  Great start.  Second hole is a longish par 4.  The hole has a creek running along the left side of the fairway, cutting across the fairway at about 305, woods on the right, and the fairway sloping right to left.  I hit a baby fade, right to where it should be, and cant find the ball.  in fact, three of the four of us in the foursome cant find our balls, and all three were well hit and should have been in the right rough or fairway... end up with a scrambling bogey after a good shot from a lateral drop and chip to about 3 feet.  On to a downhill par 3 at about 145 to center. Thinned an 8 and end up in the drink.  going to the 4th hole ( a par 5 ) I am already 6 over with two lost balls.  Tee up on the par 5, rip a great drive with a bit of a draw, which ends up taking a huge hop to the left, and into the lake paralleling the left side of the fairway. (now down 3 golf balls- this is crazy)-- on the short par 4 6th I pull yet another left of center and end up in the pond protecting the left side of the 6th hole.  time to change golf balls. (cant be the player, must be the equipment!?!?)

Settle down after the next hole, end up 47 / 41, having looked at (but missed) about 3 legit birdie opportunities on the back 9 - so back 9 better but still not hitting the ball where I want.  Need more practice!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

I hear ya..it's just frustrating.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

IMG_7234.PNG

Just wanted to work on patience, distance, and club management.

Not worried about distance.

Not a bad nine for a quick morning round of nine.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

Thanks for sharing. Wish I had a practice facility like that.

And I wish I could go there more often!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Backyard Chipping Pitching... every day

Back and forth...back and forth... different clubs different lies different techniques

Saved me loads around greens!

IMG_20170828_171207603.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Back and forth...back and forth... different clubs different lies different techniques

attachicon.gifIMG_20170828_171207603.jpg

Nice. I've been working on my chipping in the backyard as well. My kids hula-hoop makes a nice target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I completely agree variety in practice is the key to on course progress. I did a little standard short game work yesterday evening. Choose a target; chip-pitch-flop; repeat. Settling into same shot repetitions can make you feel good on the practice green but in my experience rarely translates to the variety of situations encountered during a typical round.

https://youtu.be/Si3vLD_uzxk

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I need Dave Pelz back yard.

Here are some others that I would like to have as well

https://www.golfgodsonline.com/blogs/golf-blog/ultimate-golf-backyards

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wish I had a backyard big enough for practice.  Mine is small (although it seems pretty big when I mow it), and the grass is NOTHING like grass on any course in the area.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very nice, are you tearing up the grass? What kind of grass is that?

Nah...it's half weeds - just can't see them in the pic. :lol:

I have a dog and a couple of boys so I've kind of given up on the backyard for a while...

I don't really take divots when I chip/pitch so I don't tear up the grass too much.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I can't do that anymore.. Not after i Broke a window, the wife was Pisssssed, Good thing it wasn't the Living room just a small family room window... I had been chipping to a bucket had a few balls scattered so i was knocking them back to where I was chipping from kinda nonchalantly,, Caught one clean put it into the window.. I told " but honey I hit it clean, it was a good shot." she was NOT amused that put an end to my chipping in the yard.. 

that was Several years ago, she still won't let me do it.. I've tried.. LOL

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

I can't do that anymore.. Not after i Broke a window, the wife was Pisssssed, Good thing it wasn't the Living room just a small family room window... I had been chipping to a bucket had a few balls scattered so i was knocking them back to where I was chipping from kinda nonchalantly,, Caught one clean put it into the window.. I told " but honey I hit it clean, it was a good shot." she was NOT amused that put an end to my chipping in the yard.. 

Yikes....  I'm with your wife on this one.  :D

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Ha!

I was volunteering for a charity tourney yesterday hitting long drives on 18. Now, there are houses all over this course, and as with most scrambles, there are a bunch of beginners playing. This one house, I counted, got hit about 3 or 4 times...

Yeah, it was bad.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Ha!

I was volunteering for a charity tourney yesterday hitting long drives on 18. Now, there are houses all over this course, and as with most scrambles, there are a bunch of beginners playing. This one house, I counted, got hit about 3 or 4 times...

Yeah, it was bad.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In league a couple of years ago.. One of the guy's put one through a Plate glass window.. Our league Plays 10 courses over 21 weeks with a fun day in the middle.. So one of the courses has a par 5 dogleg right. the dogleg is about 240 to the start of the turn and tops out at 275 to the far side of the rough.. he uncorks a great drive hits the cart path and ricochets into the window. I think he said it was like $800 he had to pay.. Ooops.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Foam practice balls, maybe?

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Yikes....  I'm with your wife on this one.  :D

You should have my back not hers.. LOL.. 

Dam and i thought you'd understand.. LOL

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Foam practice balls, maybe?

Yeah Not quite the same.. LOL.. I have the Net just need to get it put up and I'll have a 10' x 10' x 10' hitting cage.. 

So then I'll be working on my game alot more.. 

That was also 10 years ago.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Did about a half hour of short pitches, between about 20 to 40 yds - try to hit 4 balls in a row the same way and get them to end up in a cluster. Moderately successful .. better than the start of this season but still not good enough for the MGS All Star Team

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg