What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

My wife and I played nine after she quit work tonight.  I got to the course about 90 minutes early; pitched a few balls, then worked on the putting green.  The 13-year old girl that recently won an AJGA event was also on the putting green.  She was helping the instructor with 6-8 year old boys and girls by playing putting games with them.  They were all doing quite well and having a lot of fun doing it.

My wife and I hit the course around 5:15.  It's getting dark earlier, and the clouds didn't help.  For these rounds we don't keep score, and we may hit multiple balls on any given situation.  However, I always play my first ball, and on that ball I shot even par on the front nine (par 37) which is the harder of the two nines.  I had two birdies and two bogeys, the rest pars.  Tap-in birdie on the par 3 #4 hole, and a 40 foot putt on the 200 yard par 3 #8 hole.  I have not shot even on any nine holes this year; I did it once last year on the front and several times on the back nine.   Now, I need to do it this weekend when we keep score.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I had some swing thoughts to work on and went to hit a bucket on the range. It started out really well, irons felt under control and I even started to play with hitting different trajectories with the shorter irons. Move on to the driver and hit the 5 best drives I've ever hit in my life, solid center face contact and a smooth feeling swing. And then the wheels fell off. Tried to hit a few more with the driver to figure out what I changed, didn't work. Went back to irons and it took probably ten swings to get a ball to fly well. Tried hitting some chip shots and that went ok. But not great. Went back to driver and got a few decent shots but nothing that felt like the first few. Course was empty so decided to play 9. Focused on picking a target off the tee and trying to swing smooth. Had some good shots but overall scored really high. I'll blame the high score on everything being cut down for reseeding and hang on to the good shots. Haha

Practiced see ball hit ball mentality today.Not sure how this is working.But it's working like a charm.My swing has so many many faults but oddly it works for me.Its given me many a good shots and scores in the past.At times I do wish it looked more orthodox.No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to alter what is ingrained in my motion

Hey, everyone's swing is different. Whatever works for you, rock it!

Swing your swing.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Played twice on the weekend. Hit the ball really well on Saturday but didn't score well (92). I did how ever get within a foot of a hole in one. The Sunday I played well but struggled with my short game, still shot an 84 so was very happy.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Practiced keeping my head straight down. I have a tendency to move all the way through like baseball batter and it makes for a bad slice with my power.

It's strange that I only notice on tee off and hybrids. On my irons the issue is not as pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have the same ailment as me. Gaussman and Kory gave me some decent tips that have made a difference for my swing. My issue now is repeating the improvements.

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I found a cure for not keeping your head down...  

Yesterday late afternoon, I was practicing 25 yard pitch/lob shots.  The range and pitching green face directly into the setting sun.  I was picking the ball perfectly.  There is NO looking up!!  Blinding sun.  I usually practice in the morning so the sun is not an issue, but I think I will hit the practice area late when we have no clouds.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I found a cure for not keeping your head down...  

Yesterday late afternoon, I was practicing 25 yard pitch/lob shots.  The range and pitching green face directly into the setting sun.  I was picking the ball perfectly.  There is NO looking up!!  Blinding sun.  I usually practice in the morning so the sun is not an issue, but I think I will hit the practice area late when we have no clouds.

My father, 30 years ago, said he'd tie a piece of string to my nose and attach a jag hook to the other end and place it...well, you know where. I don't think that would have worked either.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My father, 30 years ago, said he'd tie a piece of string to my nose and attach a jag hook to the other end and place it...well, you know where. I don't think that would have worked either.

There is one in a bag hanging on the wall in the pro shop.

The back range at Bayou - any lie, any stance, any situation you want to work on. The rough in that last shot is much tougher than it looks - 2 inches of thick Bermuda.

It's a great quiet place. Exactly why we have lots of guys from the Canadian tour here in the winter. And they love to help their "Pops" with whatever he's working on.

They respect our teaching pro and just push what he's teaching.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How did the new hybrid go?

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played 9 with the Peaklette today, getting a bit of practice in before a mixed Scramble on Sunday. We won the nett 2 years ago, and backed up with the Gross last year.

When I focussed I was good, when I didn't I was awful. My daughter is returning from a broken finger, and once she relaxed hit it pretty well.

Looking forward to playing with a mate and his daughter.IMG_0795.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Played 9 with the Peaklette today, getting a bit of practice in before a mixed Scramble on Sunday. We won the nett 2 years ago, and backed up with the Gross last year.

When I focussed I was good, when I didn't I was awful. My daughter is returning from a broken finger, and once she relaxed hit it pretty well.

Looking forward to playing with a mate and his daughter.attachicon.gifIMG_0795.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Good luck!!  Go get 'em Peaksy.

How did the new hybrid go?

I hit it today - incredible. Was left to right down wind aiming at a flag that I shot at 170. No way I'm getting my 6 Iron there so I would have had to grip down, take something off the 5 hybrid and hope for the best. No chance over a Hazzard.

I peppered the flag with that sucker!!!!

Im considering starting a fresh thread for this next practice thought:

My handicap has risen from 1.2 to 5.8 over the past 8 years. Some of that is age - 52 to 60 (61 tomorrow) but not all of it. I think I've got it now though.

I don't play a lot - just a hair over once a week between 60 and 70 rounds a season (remember I can play 12 months). With the move to the private club my clubs are stored so I only practice when I go there. It's about 15 minutes from my house but half an hour or more from work. I used to keep my wedge, putter and shag bag in the car. So I've started doing that. I'm going two or three times a week to the muni that's around the corner from work and spending 20 to 30 minutes chipping, pitching and putting.

My short game was sick when I played on Sunday and I hit the ball very well for someone who hadn't played in a week. I've chipped, pitched and putted twice this week and hit the ball better on the range this evening than I have in several years.

I had 25 shots from 47 yards that brought a smile to my face. Off tight wet turf, over a trap, I didn't miss the green once, didn't hit a single one thin, holed one, hit two inside two feet and hit as many long as short, right as left.

I also crushed my 4 wood.

I'm feeling very good about golf right now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The last couple of weeks I was feeling pretty discouraged, but feel much better after a decent range session tonight. Really focused on keeping my right arm connected to my body and some flex in my right knee. It's amazing how many things that cleaned up in my swing. I still come over the top just a little bit, but it sure looks better on camera than it did before. Irons went really well, driver still needs work but was flying better overall. It felt like there is actually a chance I might get better at this game for the first time in a couple weeks.

My handicap has risen from 1.2 to 5.8 over the past 8 years. Some of that is age - 52 to 60 (61 tomorrow) but not all of it. I think I've got it now though.

Since it's now tomorrow:

giphy.gif

Maybe you're not too far from shooting your age now!

Since it's now tomorrow:

giphy.gif

Maybe you're not too far from shooting your age now!

I'm getting closer at least. :)

Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

file-F1ECED09-D2B5-4A64-B80A-70F4F7D808E0-73107-00000C9327D43CE9.jpg

My wrist is still pretty sore so I practiced what I could. I figured it would be a good day for "when it's breezy" practice. I've been needing to develop more versatility with my PW so I used it for the entire session.

Hit balls at 45, 65, 85, 95 into the wind focusing on shallow divots and low, stable flight. It's easy to lose it left or right when it's blowing this hard so I had to take my time prepping between shots. Periodically, I'd chip 4-5 balls to a spot in the fairway to try and get the grouping as small as possible.

Once I finished, I chipped everything that missed onto the green then hit the balls that landed in the sand about 40y backwards to my shag bag then chipped those onto the green.

Felt like a solid session. I definitely feel like I've got a few new shots in my bag that I can go to whether it's windy or not.

Went to the range and worked on long game a bit.  Have been struggling with 3 wood lately so I gave it a good workout.  Home for lunch and then off to a course near the house that has a pretty good short game area that I can work on wedges and some putting.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 2 weeks later...

Chipping and putting today with the Tour B's

aNjhQ39.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

And?

In the bag:

Bag: 

Without giving too much away from the upcoming review: the short game feel across the entire lineup (x, xs, rx, rxs) was the same. I know they're all the same cover, but I thought the x being significantly higher compression would feel different than the rxs, or make a different sound, but it's not the case with these.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Without giving too much away from the upcoming review: the short game feel across the entire lineup (x, xs, rx, rxs) was the same. I know they're all the same cover, but I thought the x being significantly higher compression would feel different than the rxs, or make a different sound, but it's not the case with these.

Glad I'm not alone in this feeling. I was beginning to think I was missing something.

Combine.jpg

Had a lesson on sunday and my coach ran me through this combine they created. It was a lot of fun to see where I'm weak as well as strong at. It also gave me my ideas on how to structure my practices this winter because I tend to end up just beating balls midway thru a session.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

attachicon.gifCombine.jpg

Had a lesson on sunday and my coach ran me through this combine they created. It was a lot of fun to see where I'm weak as well as strong at. It also gave me my ideas on how to structure my practices this winter because I tend to end up just beating balls midway thru a session.

Cool idea. Is this on a monitor or outside with a measuring tape?

This was a long season so kudos to you if you read the whole thing. You may deserve a beer if we ever play together. I've had some personal stuff going on lately so I blocked off some time for some much needed range therapy. I gave my 52* a workout.

First half: Chipping green

Did the same drill from the other day going up and down. I shot 5 balls at 5 targets over 2 rounds. This time, I picked a harder tee and had much more difficult putts as a result.

attachicon.gifIMG_4840.JPG

The tee

attachicon.gifIMG_4841.JPG

Round 2 scatter. I didn't even think to take pics until now. Round 1 was all over the place and you couldn't even tell which hole the balls belonged to.

attachicon.gifIMG_4842.JPG

After a made a putt, I'd throw the balls into a pile. On the left is round 1 (14/25) and the right is round 2 (19/25)

Second Half: Pitching Green

I threw scatters of balls at 75, 85, 100, 115, and 125 then hit them all with the 52* at this green.

attachicon.gifIMG_4845.JPG

There was a decent cross breeze so the longer shots were coming L to R about 15-20 yards. I love playing in wind like this because it makes things interesting. 125 is definitely outside the comfortable range of this club but it can be done if necessary.

After hitting all of those, I flopped some balls from the 115 trying to land them on the 75 marker. This was the resulting cluster between 60-70 yards out.

attachicon.gifIMG_4844.JPG

After flopping those balls, I took some whacks with my 3 wood and hybrid since I just got some align grips put on them. Side note: I like those grips. An overly strong grip gets me from time to time and those are a nice reminder to keep it neutral.

Then I went up to the flopped balls and chipped those balls onto the green by using my "pick it" swing.

Here's the scatter of the session. Only had 3 land short and 1 in the bunker (duffed pick shot). The rest were on or slightly long. These are mostly rocks so I don't mind the long shots since they're landing the right distance. Normal balls on a normal green would stop.

attachicon.gifIMG_4846.JPG

Total time: 2 hours

It was a great workout and I always love coming out here when no one is out. Just me, my thoughts, and the green. Thanks for reading.

Looks like a nice quiet area. The “snowbirds” are coming in here early this year to check out their homes from hurricane Irma and all practice facilities are mobbed. Golf courses are crowded also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Glad I'm not alone in this feeling. I was beginning to think I was missing something.

Oh oh, me too. In putting and chipping could not tell them apart. Enough giveaway.

But on the course.....

Rick

Left Hand, 

Looks like a nice quiet area. The “snowbirds” are coming in here early this year to check out their homes from hurricane Irma and all practice facilities are mobbed. Golf courses are crowded also.

At certain times it's quiet. Most afternoons it's mobbed unless you go very near to dusk. There's a lot of people that take shag bags or there so you almost have to get a feel for when your time is up so the next person can get work in. I really need to get around to marking my balls to make that part a little easier.

At certain times it's quiet. Most afternoons it's mobbed unless you go very near to dusk. There's a lot of people that take shag bags or there so you almost have to get a feel for when your time is up so the next person can get work in. I really need to get around to marking my balls to make that part a little easier.

I'm going early tomorrow morning to do a little more “experimental” work with these balls. Going to be cool so should be quiet.

Rick

Left Hand,