TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Spent 1.5 hours at the practice green... somehow my putting is amazing. Made about 50% of all the putts from 7’ to 15’. Around 75% of them inside 6’.

I’ll take that all day.

Also, my green side control hasn’t missed a beat. Laying the 60° wide open and hitting that Low spinner that lands like a butterfly with sore feet. Stopping them dead at 15 and 20 yards.

30-50 yards I was averaging about 12’ from the flag. I’ll take that for now.

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.572bf069b4ddc57738d071ec7ec33de1.JPG

(40 yard pitches with the Hi Toe)

The high chip seems to be my forte, the low roller is a bit hard for me to get on the right line. I’d rather just throw it pin high with spin and stop it... much higher percentage for me.

It is a perfect day weather wise so even though I have a super long honey-do list I had to go to the range for at least a half hour.

The range was packed so I grabbed one of the few open stalls and started progressing through the bag, mostly working on ball position, putting the ball a little further back in my stance. I am hitting the ball more cleanly but I did have a couple of hosel rockets which is rare but a I chalked that up to the change in ball position.

Then, the entire Cal-Berkeley Ladies Golf Team shows up at the range and they all place their bags down in the two stalls next to mine as those were the only ones open.

Of course, now I’m thinking “please don’t let me shank one” as these gals were just hitting perfect shots.

I hit 3 solid iron shots and then like George Costanza I left on a high note and got the hell out of there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

IMG_5377.JPG

Put in some more work today aside from the 50 yard shots.

This is the purest shot I’ve hit all year. Smoked a PW, my shot shape this year is going to be a fade. My draw at full speed will be a 1 yard fade. At least I can eliminate the left side of the course.

New strategy for the year.

Finally found time to work on chipping and putting. Yuck that was a rough practice session. 70% from 3ft and 50% from 6ft on putting. That may explain why I’m posting 0 for anything on up and downs.

Hopefully the weather cooperates so I can practice again. Because boy oh boy do I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Looks like a great place to spend a summer evening with a few adult beverages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm sure enjoying it. And because it's sand and infill based, it'll need tune-ups from time to time.

Months after install last summer, I opted for the free tune-up. But here on out, every 12-18 months is recommended, it'd be roughly $350 to have it done. Can't have that.

I paid close attention to install and closer attention to the tune-up process. Shortly after, I bought the rake, the specific infill, drop spreader, a roller and a stimpmeter.

Just last week, I tuned it myself for the first time. My gosh, I thought it putted well before but now it's fantastic. I'm so psyched that I can now tend to it and adjust speed as I like. I currently have it rolling at 14 downgrade, 10 up, roughly 12 across.

I wanted it very fast because I really need to improve my touch. It's paying dividends and strangely enough, most significantly on lags which are much longer than I can practice on my own green.

Overall since its install last May, my putting has vastly improved. So has my summer adult beverage drinking.

9 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Sorry, missed this. Here ya go. emoji4.png

tapatalk_1555692774504.jpgtapatalk_1555692782402.jpgtapatalk_1555692789064.jpg

Oh holy *^$@. I want!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Had to go across town to find grass range as I cant hit off mats for the time being. Focused on figuring out why my 5w is pulling on me. Usally this club is dead straight or slight fade. Got it straightened out and it seemed I was forgetting to fire my hips and was all arms which happens with my irons on an occasion.

Also worked on putting after adding new grip and adding 1.25 inches to shaft. Like it thus far.

Off for 18 then back home for yardwork. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Had another opportunity to work on my chipping and putting today. Much better from 3ft today. 84%.

Same results from 6ft. 50%

My chipping left something to be desired with my 52* wedge, but had much better success with the 56*.

With league play tomorrow, I may only use the 56* until I get things settled.

Hit some balls at the range today as courses are all either closed or walking only right now. Either way, they're water logged and not much fun to play. Worked on my drills, and getting my left shoulder down and under. Strikes were pretty good. Very happy with the progression so far.

Also spent half an hour chipping and putting. Green was slow and soft from the rain, but it was good to get some practice with the short game.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Had such a nice time on the range today. Under the Eagle’s watchful eye I checked my gapping from longest iron to driver lingering with 3 wood working especially on not trying to help it I to the air - best and most consistently I’ve hit that club in a long time.

Hit pitches to the practice green but seemed to have no touch there (it was only when I went to hit my 60 full that I discovered why - I grabbed the 56 accidentally so of course I was hitting it too far - duh)

Hit about 20 8 irons trying to hit the ball as straight as possible (Did well).

Just a great day. Feel good about where the game is heading

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Been doing a lot of chipping and pitching over the winter inside in the garage "studio", working on good contact and on moving better through the ball. 

Happened to catch a segment on GC the other day with Martin Hall where he talked - very briefly - about a tip from Tiger on pitching, which was: lead with the chest.

Didn't really make sense to me but tried it out in the garage - and man I think that Tiger dude is on to something 😉

I guess possibly it's his "feel" for keeping the arms connected ... after only a few tries I was making nice, crisp contact and felt like I'll be able to have better distance and trajectory control. Gonna keep working on it!

Also been able to get out on the few nicer days here and there for 9 hole Par 3 rounds, which have been great for wedge and short iron practice. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Had a very rare combination of no work and gorgeous weather (never happens) so I decided to make the most of it with a 4 hour practice session this afternoon.

Took the vintage bag to the range and that was a blast from the past - vintage practice sesh

I also spent 3 hours on the putting green with the Bettinardi Armlock SS38 - hot date with Betti

Man I love practice!

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

But... but... Dave Pelz has chipping greens too!!
Absolutely beautiful!  

Oh holy *^$@. I want!

Thanks so much guys. I'm still ecstatic at the idea of having a green, the reality of it is amazing.

Even better, it was all my non-golfer wife's idea.

I thought she was just teasing. I handle all of our finances and of course we discuss all. Over breakfast in February of last year she said, "I know we discuss everything but because I work hard for my money, there's something that I'd really like to have and I just don't want to leave it up to any discussion. I want it."

Now, I'm thinking she's gonna say new car or something and I'm already formulating a firm defense in my mind. She dances around things some more when I ask her to just come out with it already.

"I want a backyard putting green," she says assertively.

I literally dropped my spoon into my bowl of cereal. I was actually insulted that she'd tease me so heartlessly about a thou-shalt-not-go-there subject. One entirely off limits to mere teasing.

She wasn't and made her point very clear, so I said, "I can't believe that you wanna do this for me."

She replied, "wait... no, I mean... you'll use it, right? Yeah, that's good, you should. But I just want it because it'll look nice and I have a specific vision for that space."

I mean...

Whatever, she meant it and we got it. It'll be a full year soon and I still can't believe it.

What's even better still??? She asked recently, "hey, do you think we should add one of those sand pits next to the green?"

"Uh, yeah honey... heck yeah. I hear those sand pits are all the rage, let's do it!!!"

8 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Oh yeah .. she's a keeper!! 👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Met up with @mr.hicksta today at the practice greens/range but it was rained out so we just swapped a couple of sleeves of balls, and shot the sh*t a little. Super cool guy and hopefully we get to tee it up soon!

Went back home for a couple of hours and the weather cleared up a little so I headed back. Hit a small bucket and was just trying to figure out why I've been a hosel lord recently. I think I'm just losing my levels and moving my head too much. Once I focused on not moving my head, it was back to crispy Mizuno butter town. Then spent about 90 minutes mostly practicing 8-15 footers (trying to make 3/3) and practiced 2-putting from a bunch of 25+ foot distances.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

19 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

What's even better still??? She asked recently, "hey, do you think we should add one of those sand pits next to the green?"

"Uh, yeah honey... heck yeah. I hear those sand pits are all the rage, let's do it!!!" emoji16.png

Unicorn!!

I married one too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Finally was able to get to the driving range to start working on lowering my awful Arccos handicaps in Driving and Approach.

Focused on strike and making sure I was going through my complete pre-shot routine every time.

Was going to the range this morning and turned my car around and went to the par 3 course for a quick 9 instead.

Only played 1 ball a hole (normally I will play multiple balls) but then chipped or pitched a bit after each hole was finished.

Great practice - hit 7/9 greens (I don’t use a tee, I just drop a ball and hit it) - was 1 over - while I hit my irons well I never got one inside of 10 feet - I was 12 to 33 ft on my greens hit - also these greens are small and many are tricky - my up and down took some imagination and execution.

But it got better - I had wondered why a family did pay me for a funeral 2 months ago - turns out they made a donation to a fund that we had set up while Penny was sick so I dropped by to pixie the check up and there was free punch from Panera Bread for teacher appreciation week. And it gets better - stopped at the liquor store on the way home and one of the owner’s sales reps was there having him try some scotches - he looked at me and said, “This is one of my scotch guys, let’s see what he thinks of these.” :)

Jackpot

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been taking my daily swings (25) every night trying to get that 'water over the shoulder' feel that I worked on with Brian Mogg last month. So tonight at the range I continued to work on ingraining that feel with pretty good results. I was seeing consistent ball flight with all my clubs so I was pleased with that, and I'm hoping it translates to good things when I play on Sunday. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Been practicing in the garage a bunch, mostly wedges. We had a rare nice day recently and I decided to hit the range to watch actual ball flights.

Hit a few wedges (poorly), a few irons (nicely), a few 4Ws (ok) and then picked up the driver. This has not been my favorite club .. since I started playing....

So tried something different: gripped down halfway and took about a half length swing at about half speed and focused on simply making good contact while continuing to move _through_ the ball. Felt a little awkward at first but after a few I started watching the ball fly downrange. No, not far but still further than I expected.

Alternated that with a few almost full speed swings but still gripping halfway down, then gripping normally but swinging about half speed. 

Which was great because now I've directly and unequivocably proved to myself that making solid contact is the most important thing.

And it worked! Played in a charity outing the following day and started hitting some really solid .. and for me, long .. drives!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

On hour number three tonight of rolling putts with the arm lock. I am going to get comfortable with this if it breaks me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

8 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

On hour number three tonight of rolling putts with the arm lock. I am going to get comfortable with this if it breaks me.

You will. It just takes some time. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You will. It just takes some time. 

Well I have to get it soon. It is going in the bag for my seven rounds of golf over the next five days.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Wondering if you don’t have the fit quite right. Good luck!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Today I worked on a swing change, adjusting my hand path through the backswing. I hit 200 balls at the range which I do 3 times a week, to try and make the change through repetition and video analysis. 

Once the change feels comfortable (normally after 3000+ reps) I will go back to shot shaping and trajectory control and test my accuracy/dispersion on a GC2.

I work on short game at the weekend and have just installed an artificial putting green in the back garden which will help 🙂