Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Did players iron most wanted testing last night. Some of the worst ball striking I have had in a long time. Hit about 8 of those shots that go sharply right off the hosel. I generally fight toe hits so this was really unexpected. Hole this doesn’t creep into my golf league match tonight.

I am all too familiar with the hosel right now and I will pray for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Some putting practice, followed by about an hour of chipping. First real session on the chipping green this year. Really happy with how it went, felt like I really had control of the club face.

By the time I get back to playing my short game should hopefully be really sharp.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Took my new knee to the practice area today.  Putted with the Bettinardi armlock putter for awhile, then moved over and chipped with my 60 degree wedge for about 100 balls.  Feeling frisky, grabbed my pitching wedge and walked over to the driving range.  Started hitting some easy half wedges and worked my way up to full swings at 80% power.  Felt good to be back out hitting the ball after a month+ off.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Took my new knee to the practice area today.  Putted with the Bettinardi armlock putter for awhile, then moved over and chipped with my 60 degree wedge for about 100 balls.  Feeling frisky, grabbed my pitching wedge and walked over to the driving range.  Started hitting some easy half wedges and worked my way up to full swings at 80% power.  Felt good to be back out hitting the ball after a month+ off.  

That is terrific! Don’t overdo it Grasshopper!!
Your way ahead of me , I can’t hit 100 wedges yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

33 minutes ago, CarlH said:

That's great! How'd the putter feel? Annnnnd how do you feel after that workout?

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

20 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

That's great! How'd the putter feel? Annnnnd how do you feel after that workout?

I'm liking the putter.  After the practice time, I had a bit of lunch then went to the grocery store for the DW.  Knee is barking just a bit letting me know that I should just sit for awhile 🙂  THanks for asking!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

That is terrific! Don’t overdo it Grasshopper!!
Your way ahead of me , I can’t hit 100 wedges yet.

Yeah, but I'm nursing a right knee.  You're dealing with a shoulder.  I'd think you'd have more issues than me.  You take it easy, too!

Yesterday I hit up the short game area at Navy Marine Golf Course and worked on a variety of short game shots to include flops, short sided flops, pitch shots from 10, 20 and 30 yards, bunker shots and the trusty hinge and hold method. It was a productive session!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Yesterday I hit up the short game area at Navy Marine Golf Course and worked on a variety of short game shots to include flops, short sided flops, pitch shots from 10, 20 and 30 yards, bunker shots and the trusty hinge and hold method. It was a productive session!

I got tired reading your practice routine
Sounds like you’re going to have a great season!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yeah, but I'm nursing a right knee.  You're dealing with a shoulder.  I'd think you'd have more issues than me.  You take it easy, too!

True, I did hurt my shoulder a bit on that freakin mat Thursday. Never going to hit on a mat again.

Rick

Left Hand, 

More putter time.  @Stinky Puttjoined me on the practice green for a look see and try the Bettinardi armlock putter.  Then moved on and chipped a few 54 degree wedge shots then some 9 iron chips.  Went over to the driving range for a dozen or so 75% 7 iron swings.  The swings felt comfortable, but I can certainly tell that my stamina needs to increase following the month of inactivity.  Was pretty pleased with contact.  Working on rotating lead knee outward to initiate my downswing and was hitting nice little draws.  Feels really good to be hitting the ball again.  Going to try to get out each day for the next week and work my way to full swings.  

More putter time.  [mention=88257]Stinky Putt[/mention]joined me on the practice green for a look see and try the Bettinardi armlock putter.  Then moved on and chipped a few 54 degree wedge shots then some 9 iron chips.  Went over to the driving range for a dozen or so 75% 7 iron swings.  The swings felt comfortable, but I can certainly tell that my stamina needs to increase following the month of inactivity.  Was pretty pleased with contact.  Working on rotating lead knee outward to initiate my downswing and was hitting nice little draws.  Feels really good to be hitting the ball again.  Going to try to get out each day for the next week and work my way to full swings.  

Sounds good, eaasse back into it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

24 shots each from 50 yards, 25 yards, 15 yards, 35 yards, and 75 yards.  Chipped any that didn't land on or stay on the green.  Putted for 20 minutes.

Did a little putting action in the living-room last night. I found that if I lock my left elbow (left-hand-down grip), I felt more "pendulum-like" and more in control. I'll try that out some more this evening when I go to the range and also hit the practice green.

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

16 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Did a little putting action in the living-room last night. I found that if I lock my left elbow (left-hand-down grip), I felt more "pendulum-like" and more in control. I'll try that out some more this evening when I go to the range and also hit the practice green.

I was able to indeed get out for some practice tonight and did a "normal" range session before hoofing it over to the practice green. I indeed did the "left-arm-lock" method and WOW! Just WOW! I instantly had better feedback and also felt I had better control. Most of my session here revolved around lag putts and the difference was amazing and very promising. Now to be clear, my putter grip is only 34" long so I'm not talking about doing an actual "arm-lock" grip with an extended shaft which is anchored against my left forearm. I'm simply trying to describe locking my left elbow in an attempt to help me minimize any wrist break or "floppy" putt stroke. I made no putts outright, but my feel during the session left me with some hope since many more putts seemed to track better on my intended line and finish nearer the 3' circle around the hole more often than I've ever experienced before.

Perhaps I need to try a true arm-lock putter one of these days. Until then, we'll see if this newly found "key" to my game can help lower my scores a bit. Only time will tell...

Now for my range session, please read up here...:

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

19 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I've never used the pendulum type swing........and I'm a crap putter.

Tried left hand low recently with good results, for one round, then back to being crap.

Last night in the living room I 'locked' my elbows into my torso and rocked the shoulders, felt good and repeatable, maybe good for those 8-10 footers I regularly miss. Will get to the putting green today for another episode in my continuing quest to stop having an average 36 putts per round🙄

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Worked on alignment at the range during lunch. I kept missing left and then once I got the rods out I realized just how off my body was in relation to my target. I need to make a point to pick different targets and take my time picking a line and aim point before every shot.

On the good side my driver and 4w were really solid. The 4w in particular I was just hitting on a rope. Playing in my first scramble of the year on Monday so I’m hoping to bring that swing with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It’s too freakin HOT in FL right now for me to practice.
I hate practice anyway, prefer to play.

Rick

Left Hand, 

13 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Worked on alignment at the range during lunch. I kept missing left and then once I got the rods out I realized just how off my body was in relation to my target. I need to make a point to pick different targets and take my time picking a line and aim point before every shot.

Something we all overlook at times. If your feet and hips point left and your shoulders right there's a lot of compensating needed during the swing.

As Luuuuuke Donald keeps saying "practice the funamentals" (yes he misses out the 'd' when he says it, have a look)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

IMG_1034.JPG

Started work on the Ping long game testing the other day. Don’t know if this picture belongs there when we start to post or in the SuperSpeed thread.

A year ago this was a good drive. Now it’s a 5 wood off the turf - all of them were like this and pretty much on target out past the 200 yard flag (that measured at 208 because the tees were back).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hit about 20 full(ish) swings with my 7 iron. Got permission from my PT to start swinging again. 

Pleased to say it wasn't totally awful, contact was probably a bit thin, and pulled a few, but club speed was about 80mph by the time I finished.

Pretty happy after 6 months of not being able to swing a club, and hopefully I'll pull up well tomorrow.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Hit about 20 full(ish) swings with my 7 iron. Got permission from my PT to start swinging again. 
Pleased to say it wasn't totally awful, contact was probably a bit thin, and pulled a few, but club speed was about 80mph by the time I finished.
Pretty happy after 6 months of not being able to swing a club, and hopefully I'll pull up well tomorrow.

Yea!! Welcome back! You are now in contention for “comeback player of the year”
Sure feels good to swing pain free

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Yea!! Welcome back! You are now in contention for “comeback player of the year”
Sure feels good to swing pain free emoji106.png

Not back yet, but getting closer👍

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Not back yet, but getting closer

There’s 4 or 5 of us coming back from injuries/surgeries and will be while for us all .
We just have to be careful and not rush it!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Took just my 6 iron out to the range today and hit 2/3 of a pyramid stack.  Talk about inconsistent!  I've got some serious range time work to do to get back in the groove.  

10 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Took just my 6 iron out to the range today and hit 2/3 of a pyramid stack.  Talk about inconsistent!  I've got some serious range time work to do to get back in the groove.  

Ease your way back into golf.   Glad you hear you are back on the course and hope the knee is doing better. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that when I focus on one thing with my swing, a bunch of other stuff goes out the window.

My biggest swing fault is not having enough of a shoulder turn in my backswing. I get all arms, which results in weak fades. So right from the get-go this season I've been focusing primarily on a nice solid turn, feeling like I'm turning my front shoulder into my back big toe, and feeling the weight in my inner rear leg. All stuff I got via lessons. 

Yesterday at the course I hit some good shots... and some downright terrible ones. Plus I felt something "off" in my swing. So today I go to the range and start working on things and I realized that I was concentrating so much on my shoulders, I was giving zero thought to my arms. They were stiff and not rotating. Like, at ALL. So I made a point to relax and feel my arms rotating as I turned back without consciously turning them (does that make sense?), and there they were - nice iron shots and a straight(ish) driver. 

I know that the ultimate goal is to just think about the target and have a single trigger and yada yada yada, but for me, sheesh. I concentrate on one thing and my feeble mind just tosses everything else out into the gutter. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

After my round on Saturday I decided that I need to actually practice a bit. Got a tip from someone at work for a range that was about 40 minutes away from the office at well it was a wasted drive. Grass was light rough at best and the balls were as old as I am. Did what I could while I was there and at least it was some practice.

Highlight of the night was the driving range pro giving me his card and telling me with his help I could be pretty good at this game. I could even get to single digits is I work with him. Guess he didn’t realize that would mean that I would have to get worse at the game. Ones swing can only look so good digging Top Flite range balls out of two inch grass.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

8 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

After my round on Saturday I decided that I need to actually practice a bit. Got a tip from someone at work for a range that was about 40 minutes away from the office at well it was a wasted drive. Grass was light rough at best and the balls were as old as I am. Did what I could while I was there and at least it was some practice.

Highlight of the night was the driving range pro giving me his card and telling me with his help I could be pretty good at this game. I could even get to single digits is I work with him. Guess he didn’t realize that would mean that I would have to get worse at the game. Ones swing can only look so good digging Top Flite range balls out of two inch grass.

Tell me you let him know your handicap after he 'offered' to get you (up) to single digits?😂

Tell me you let him know your handicap after he 'offered' to get you (up) to single digits?

I was polite and just said thank you. My wife has told me that I can’t be an @sshole all the time anymore. In his defense watching someone hit 7 irons out of crappy lies can lead to not having the most beautiful of swings. In my defense after watching someone hit five or six in a row dead online at target out of those lies would lead me to believe they can play a bit.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond