Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Happy St Michael and All Angels Day!

I canceled my post church round because I want last weeks lesson to sink in.

Really hit it good, good in a way that I haven’t hit it in five years. We shall see but this is promising.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hit 40 balls on my lunch break - really striped them - I am definitely on to something - I haven’t hit the ball this solidly in a long time, different sound, different feel, different ball flight.

Now I need to shower and change back into my work clothes. It’s 90 out.

:)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hit a small bucket to try and figure out my driver funk. After a bunch of low and ugly shots, I pulled out the foot spray. First hit was way on the heel.

I stepped back a few inches and addressed the ball with the toe of my driver, something I used to to but stopped for some reason. The next shot was out on the toe, so I adjusted again. And then?

IMG_5488.JPG.a2be02af485a034a466abe8574064726.JPG

Pretty much every other shot after that change would have been playable and no penalties. I could have used that last week!

Irons were very good, as was my fairway. Making an effort to make sure my thumbs point slightly back in addition to up in my backswing makes a world of difference. Sometimes I get lazy and just go up with the thumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Been focusing the past two days on getting back to what was working earlier this season. I limped through my round Saturday thanks to my driver and short game, which I got away with until the driver quit working for me on No. 16 and the wheels fell off my round. My iron contact was crap, just no distance and a bunch of weak high fades or thin/topped shanky looking things, such as the two I put in the water on 16 and 18.

Couple of things happened over the past few weeks which I'm now trying to revert:

1) As I had mentioned above in my getting over the shanks post, I had been trying to change my hip rotation slightly and I overdid it, causing all sorts of problems. I think I have this fixed now, only had one shanky wedge today.

2) In the process of doing Monte's takeaway drill, my arms starting to work in a disconnected fashion from my shoulders/torso. I'm now focusing more on staying connected and really kind of speeding up my torso a bit in the backswing. Seems to help keep everything together more easily.

3) For some reason, I decided I needed to work on getting the club more toe up in my takeaway/backswing (P2 position or so...). This ended up being disastrous for me as I started extended my left wrist, coming way inside and leaving the club face wide open at the top. Queue the high, weak iron shots. (Looking at GAME Golf from the past round, I lost about 20-25 yards on some of my worst offenders.) Comparatively, it now feels like I'm hooding the club face and coming way outside on the takeaway, but checking myself I'm hitting much better positions. Feel isn't real!

Anyway, I went back to what was working before, hitting tons of half 54 wedges in the short game area since the range has been closed due to rain. Toward the end of my practice I really starting honing in on the target flags from 40-50 yards or so. Results were pretty good! 

IMG_08102019_131053_(800_x_1067_pixel).jpg.671dcd192b111dc10c59551871ecc468.jpg

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Hit a large bucket at lunch today (shhh don't tell my boss). I spent a lot of time with my 54* just trying to see how I could get different flights to a few targets. Driver was good today, so was my HWood off the deck. Irons have definitely been getting more consistent, and a lot of that is really focusing in on my backswing. When I get that right, everything else just feels automatic. 

Today's practice weapons were: Driver, 6i, 7i and 91.

After a really focused warm-up to get the body awake and, with use of my Orange Whip® to get the flow right, I was ready to go.

First club used got me off to a great start. Shots were well on line, great loft.  Really great looking shots with not too bad speed.  The only frustration came from distance. For a 6i, I was fairly disappointed. I usually got significantly better distance.  So I put the club back in the bag and came to the conclusion that, for a 9i, the shots were really good!  

Yes, I had been swinging a 9i, not my 6i. 

Lack of coffee plain and simple!

But, it drove home how much I need to not over think and allow the club to do the work!

I then hit the 6i and was very happy with those results. Got the distances expected, as well.

My 7i was better than it had been behaving. Some bit of a left hook, but nothing too out of line.

Driver was one of the best days in a while, though instead of a nice draw, a few were exaggerated a bit too much.

I think 85-90% of the whacks were more that playable (one wild slice, two worm burners).  If I am happy with 85%+ of my shots, I should have a good game.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

After evaluating my game over the past week I decided it's back to practice vs. play. Went to the practice holes today and focused solely on 80 yards in. My shag bag got quite a workout not to mention the wedges.

All of my wedges were spot on so I figure the issues on the course must be more of an issue with being tentative vs. believing my yardage chart.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So wanted to hit long shots today but I needed to do short game stuff as part of a testing opportunity - in theory today was my day off but in reality two very sick people plus the ongoing Penny Van saga made that impossible.

Practice was fun, a fellow school grandfather was working on his short game. He’s a very strong player - we tried to match shots and also see who could get up and down the most.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 hours ago, revkev said:

So wanted to hit long shots today but I needed to do short game stuff as part of a testing opportunity - in theory today was my day off but in reality two very sick people plus the ongoing Penny Van saga made that impossible.

Practice was fun, a fellow school grandfather was working on his short game. He’s a very strong player - we tried to match shots and also see who could get up and down the most.

Well... who won?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Volume UP^^^

Colorado weather has been beautiful the past 3 days. And my wrist finally feels good enough to take some proper divots... so I took ~600 of them over that stretch. Still have a couple of things to get dialed in, but I have most of the recent hinky wrist related habits ironed out.

For me personally, being able to practice multiple days in a row speeds up my progress by orders of magnitude. And once I’m dropping it in the slot, practice becomes downright addictive. So I’m planning to continue digging as long as the weather (and turf) allow.

Still bummed about basically missing my entire Summer of golf but I’m not giving up yet - only 7 months until Bandon Dunes

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Been trying a lot of drivers lately, since that's the biggest current gap in my bag. Candidates are:

- Ping G410 (Max, LFT, SFT)

- Cobra F9

- TM M5/6 & also a buddies M2 tour spec he no longer uses

- Callaway Epic's

Right now the Cobra F9 is the leader with 280yd+ carry #'s, however I went to the new Top Golf in Richmond on Saturday - side note, place was a ghost town on Sat AM for others in the area - and tried out my buddies M2 Tour Spec (apparently he somehow got it off the tour truck last year...I didn't ask to many questions) w/ a Speeder 65g S-flex shaft. Based on the trackers at Top Golf, I was getting  carry distances in the 255-265yd range and most hits went where I wanted them to go. 

Also beat my other buddies in their regular scoring game since my wedges were rock-steady 😉 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

B4 my fitting this morning I stopped at the closet course warmer up in the net, chipped and putted for 45min as the sun came up. IMG_0216.JPGIMG_0212.JPGIMG_0215.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I watched a BUNCH of Mike Malaska videos that are on YouTube, and I did some of the drills. With my back disease that I deal with, I’m going to look at transitioning to what he teaches. It seems like it will help save my back in the long run.

The other two guys I’ve done lessons with, Bryan Pate, and Mike Bender, have so much body movement/rotation/extension that I actually HURT after doing their drills, or hitting balls, or playing 18.

This is a big change, but for the sake of reducing pain, I gotta do it. Plus, having played tennis year round until I was 14, I really see his swing philosophy of hand action being pretty easy to mimic since it’s very similar to the old forehand I hit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Well... who won?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

He’s a plus 2 and 8 years my junior - enough said. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

IMG_1386.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

Chipping and putting yesterday

IMG_1389.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

Full shots today

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

6 hours ago, revkev said:

He’s a plus 2 and 8 years my junior - enough said. 🙂

What ever happened to old age and treachery beating youth and skill every time??   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What ever happened to old age and treachery beating youth and skill every time??   🤣

FAKE NEWS

Rick

Left Hand, 

Only 6i work today. Took suggestions on how to hit much straighter and somewhat faster mid iron shots; I was primarily watching address position, turn turn turn, simply swinging freely.

Speed showed improvement and I was able to keep most of the shots well with a 8' width os my imaginary fairway. Even as I went for greater distance.

Was it dumb luck?

Looking forward to working with a top tracer tomorrow to check results.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I was able to get out yesterday during a low wind period which really only lasted an hour or two. The range was completely dead as a result, which I liked. 

I mostly worked on woods, including the Heavenwood off the deck and the 4i off the tee for those rounds when the woods don't want to cooperate (which is more often than not it seems with me). The more I bounce around the bag, the better my practice time becomes. 

Putter distance control at various distances.  Focus was to control speed to end up no more than 2 feet behind the target.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Putter distance control at various distances.  Focus was to control speed to end up no more than 2 feet behind the target.

That’s a great practice routine. I prefer 12-18 inches behind hole.
Just the engineering background leaching out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

41 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Clearly, @CarlH is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  😁

Clearly, [mention=85348]CarlH[/mention] is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  

2’ can sometimes look like 3’

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Clearly, @CarlH is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  😁

OR, has a tendency to leave putts short so is forcing himself to be more aggressive.  Just saying 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I prefer them going in, but that's just the perfectionist in me speaking 🙂

I prefer them going in, but that's just the perfectionist in me speaking

Huh, who knew

Rick

Left Hand, 

I’ve always had some early extension. To combat that and to learn better hip clearing/rotation on the downswing, I’ve been working on standing taller at address and getting closer to the ball.  This forces me to turn through the shot as my hips have to turn through to make solid contact.  I’ve been doing a lot of super slow motion swings inside at night and 50% swings on the range to groove the motion and feel.  It feels odd because I’ve always stood so far away at address, but early in the process it seems to be working.  

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I didn’t mention it prior but I had to take a little over a week off because of an infected bug bite (IV antibiotic followed by a week on a heavy duty oral one.)

I hit about 40 balls late today, mostly 7 irons, 2 7 woods and 3 5 woods, the sun wore me down quickly. In fact I feel like I spent the day on the beach in the middle of the summer tonight.

It’s going to take a few days to get this out of my system.

The bite site looks great! So so hitting balls but that was to be expected. Going to try some chipping and putting tomorrow. It’s really hot for this time of the year, even in Florida. There’s no relief in site. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches