TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

@pulledabill - first time that I've ever done that - there was no one on the range - beautiful day, people were playing, and I've been walking when playing a lot - so I thought - why not simulate what actually happens in a round - I've done exactly what you described for years and played simulated rounds, I have even sidled over to the practice green and hit a chip or putt in between - this really gave the feel of a regular round - I liked it.  Don't know if the opportunity will present itself again but I liked this method of practice a lot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

So, my wedge game has been TRASH lately, (I mean WORSE than the rest of it emoji51.png). Had some free time today and stopped at Haas Family Golf (shameless plug for Jay, Jay Jr & Bill) and hit nothing but wedges for an hour. Moved a bit away from the ball and moved the ball position back a good bit, and “Voila!” I love this game again. BTW: If you’re looking for wedges, and don’t have Ping in your list, it’s a mistake, IMO. These beauties are money, even in my less than stellar hands. IMG_7092.JPGIMG_7093.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think now they are the only KZG club dealer in both Carolinas now. Knew Jay back in the day when he lived in Charlotte. If the rest of the Haas family are like him then they are good folks

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well I am sorta seriously practicing again since I am retiring at the end of March. I am semi retired now only working 3 days and 30 hrs. But I am seriously trying to get my body back in shape. One tends to gain weight and lose mobility sitting in the cab of a truck 10 to 12 hours a day. I have been doing stretching exercises using 5 lb weights. My back seems ok now so I have been practicing with my older heavy stiff shafted vintage irons and persimmon woods. Yesterday after church I worked on my putting about 2 hours then hit the range and hit 50 balls with the old sticks then walked a 8 club vintage 9 hole round. Today worked on putting about 2 hrs again and the short game for 1 hr then hit 100 balls. Walked 9 holes carrying 13 clubs this time. I have not felt sore or stiff in fact I am getting more limber. It is not so much about improving my game or score it is more about losing weight feeling better and enjoying walking my vintage rounds again. My carry bag is an real old school like a Jones but made out of ballistic nylon and is lighter than a moonlight type bag. I did modify it with a better Nike padded strap but it carries real light. 

You’re going to enjoy retirement Boss, and getting in shape won’t hurt.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

7 hours ago, Rickp said:

You’re going to enjoy retirement Boss, and getting in shape won’t hurt.

Believe it or not right now I am actually enjoying the getting back into shape. Of course I will admit 99% of that is hitting and playing my vintage clubs again

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Did a little bit of short game practice, which I've sorely neglected lately. Nothing too serious, mainly just getting a bit of feel of ball on the club face. Planning to get out do a bit more real work on the short game Thursday. 

I've missed not practicing, but work is settling down so I plan to get out and put in some hard work.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Really needing to get to the range or at the very least set up my net in the garage to get my swing back in tempo.  

I've been down in the basement working on my putting stroke lately.  Ensuring that my fundamentals are keyed in and getting the ball started on the correct line I choose.  Also, have been trying to have high hands and not let my grip get "stuck" in my waist.  Hopefully, it will lead to better speed control on the greens with consistency on my strike and more makes if I'm starting it on proper line.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Played 18 on the optishot also tried to use R-Motion simultaneously work for the most part but I think R-Motion is a little off with foam balls.
More importantly I got a notification that The local course will be open tomorrow morning. Should I take a half day off work? Supposed to be 55*?

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Played 18 on the optishot also tried to use R-Motion simultaneously work for the most part but I think R-Motion is a little off with foam balls.
More importantly I got a notification that The local course will be open tomorrow morning. Should I take a half day off work? Supposed to be 55*?

As they say - just do it!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First time taking full swings in over 2 months. Went through the whole bag on a medium bucket. Felt good and struck the ball well. Long irons a bit off, but happy overall. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played a practice 9 this afternoon. Was planning to play a few holes and hit a few random chips on each hole. Got to the first tee and a 60ish year old woman asked me if I could guide her as she had an upcoming match at my course and had never played there before.

I was happy to oblige. She was a pretty solid golfer, with a pretty good all round game. Hit it really solid, played percentages well except for one poor decision. Offering course management advice was helpful to my game, a good reminder to focus in on that for every shot. 

Short game again wasn't great, until the last 2 holes when I relaxed and just committed to the shot instead of over thinking and under committing.

Playing a 9 hole 4 club comp tomorrow, should be a bit of fun.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Last week purchased #Edingc SC 200 LM. Finally had a chance to hit a few shots at the local net. Driving Range was full of Snowbirds and I didn’t want to get hit.
Easy setup and hit a couple 8 irons and the guy in the next stall was staring at the LM. Explained what it was and he was all over it. Guy is 90 years old. So I did little coaxing and he was into it.
We had a lot of fun with it and him. Great morning, hope to see him again.
I’m 73 and he’s calling me Sonny!

Thanks Cody!

Rick

Left Hand, 

putter distance control

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Played 9 but didn't keep score and hit a boat load of 6/7 irons testing out new Maltby demo clubs.20200306_163101.jpeg

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Had a lesson today. The first since October of last year. The unexpected loss of my mother in law in November put my practice and golf on the back burner. But I got back today.

Worked on the takeaway, getting more vertical, and then shallowing out hard on the downswing. Felt good. Looked good. Was definitely hard. Lots of practicing to be done. But I'm very happy with today's results.

Here's the video overview and drills I've got to work on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Had a lesson today. The first since October of last year. The unexpected loss of my mother in law in November put my practice and golf on the back burner. But I got back today.

Worked on the takeaway, getting more vertical, and then shallowing out hard on the downswing. Felt good. Looked good. Was definitely hard. Lots of practicing to be done. But I'm very happy with today's results.

Sorry for your loss.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I went out today to work on my wedges, lately I've been either hitting them very heavy or thin. My last time out to the range, I got frustrated on the chipping green and decided to swing the club back, pause, then focus on hitting the ball then the ground. It seems to have worked, as my pitches and chips are a lot more crisp.

I also watched a video from TXG about flighting wedges and wanted to see how that would work. Let's just say, I need a lot more practice getting them on line. It's a great video with one of the funniest ball flight graphics I've ever seen.

Screenshot_20200307-173810_YouTube-01.jpeg

Other than that, my irons were good, except the 5. I was very consistent with strike on it, but they were all off the toe. The driver I only hit four times and it wasn't anything impressive. I really didn't want to spend too much time with it since the intended focus today was wedges.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That video has a wealth of knowledge. I don’t know how many times I’ve hit a 100 yard 6/7 iron. Then watch someone hit a 40 yard sand wedge yelling at it the whole time cause it’s ballooned on them and fell out of the sky.[/url]
It was definitely eye opening to just how much a 30 mph wind can cause a golf ball you just drop. I've never been good at hitting a lesser lofted club and hitting it lower, but now it's going to become a part of the practice routine. I've just got to figure out where to aim, I was hitting a lot of hooks today when I tried it.

I love the knowledge these guys bring to the table. I know I'll never be able to hit it like Matt (that guy's a beast), but it'll help tremendously with the mental side of the game.

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It was definitely eye opening to just how much a 30 mph wind can cause a golf ball you just drop. I've never been good at hitting a lesser lofted club and hitting it lower, but now it's going to become a part of the practice routine. I've just got to figure out where to aim, I was hitting a lot of hooks today when I tried it.

I love the knowledge these guys bring to the table. I know I'll never be able to hit it like Matt (that guy's a beast), but it'll help tremendously with the mental side of the game.

The videos TXG has posted over the past few days have been really good.  I know it is long,  but the short game lesson has lots of great nuggets of information. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not going against what they were saying on the video, but I rarely open up as much as Matt was.

They are far better at golf than I, but I just club up and stay mostly square with the ball back slightly. Figure out what works for you.

There video is awesome, but complex for sure.

Not going against what they were saying on the video, but I rarely open up as much as Matt was.

They are far better at golf than I, but I just club up and stay mostly square with the ball back slightly. Figure out what works for you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

37 minutes ago, Shankster said:

In the short game lesson video, they talk about starting off square and then layering on other changes to create additional shots.  It is probably better to watch the short game lesson video prior to the knockdown shot video.   They also talk about doing what works for you. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In the short game lesson video, they talk about starting off square and then layering on other changes to create additional shots.  It is probably better to watch the short game lesson video prior to the knockdown shot video.   They also talk about doing what works for you. 
I'm really enjoying the short game video, it's interesting to see the different things he's doing by just changing how he's setting up. The neural shaft lean, opening the body, and just how they're using the bounce is giving me a lot to think about. I like how they are promoting trying different things to find out what works. We are all different in how we deliver the club to the ball, and I can see where it's important to find what works each person.

Hit two buckets on the range, recorded video and sent it to the coach, then spent 30 minutes pitching with the 54* wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 3/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, dhartmann34 said:

Here's the video overview and drills I've got to work on.

Interesting that you're using a weight. Is that more to control tempo or build on SS. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Pretty nice day in northwest Ohio, the only open course was booked solid so my wife and I decided to go to the driving range (first time for her since her arm surgery in Jan). Both of us did pretty well. I was especially pleased with my short game - my sand wedge was working flawlessly. Hope that transfers to the course. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting that you're using a weight. Is that more to control tempo or build on SS. 
It's to be able to feel the position and movement and build muscle memory. It's exhausting. I'm weak

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Hit the range twice last week.  Shaking rust off more than anything and trying to get my timing down.  

Looking back, i was just hitting ball after ball and wish I would have keyed in on something to feel like I was doing more thoughtful practice.  A couple things I may try to focus on through a range session are below.

image.png.8499a4721759d630e051e6348e1af2be.png

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Really fougt the urge to hit the course since it was blue and 63 degrees. Hit the range and went throug most of the trying to figure out my dismal performance yesterday on the course. 

No complaintd today. Good contact and smoked the ball off the tee

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX