TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Went to one of the Nets to hit a few shots and get in some short work. Somethings wrong! Everything felt good, too good. 7iron looked OK and PW/GW on practice green.
Warm but humidity was bearable.IMG_1276.JPGIMG_1278.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Heading to chip and putt before tonight’s service - hit lots of shots on the range yesterday afternoon. Mainly 7 irons - hit numerous good ones.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Took some time to go to the range, mostly concentrating on my wedge game that has been horrible from 20-100 yards. The range time didn't start out too good, with me living up to my name. Chunk, chunk, and more chunk. I've been working with the Planemate for the last week and was getting a little discouraged by the results. I finally realized I was staying on my back foot causing me to flip at the ball. After an adjustment and putting the package on, I started seeing better contact. Then moved on to longer wedge shots and was really liking how they were going, I'm really starting to feel myself shallow the club, instead of coming over the top. 

Finished out the day on the putting green hitting chips from the fringe and putting out from there. I've been working on a low spinner that was on fire! Hit a shot from here:

20200801_141844-01.jpeg.8dc9b1730a3455e12433ca16bf606bb0.jpeg

To here:

20200801_141954-01.jpeg.d3d95457412f555d5903e0d7d1014a44.jpeg

You can see where the hole is in the first picture, the ball is right beside it. 

Took some time to go to the range, mostly concentrating on my wedge game that has been horrible from 20-100 yards. The range time didn't start out too good, with me living up to my name. Chunk, chunk, and more chunk. I've been working with the Planemate for the last week and was getting a little discouraged by the results. I finally realized I was staying on my back foot causing me to flip at the ball. After an adjustment and putting the package on, I started seeing better contact. Then moved on to longer wedge shots and was really liking how they were going, I'm really starting to feel myself shallow the club, instead of coming over the top. 
Finished out the day on the putting green hitting chips from the fringe and putting out from there. I've been working on a low spinner that was on fire! Hit a shot from here:
20200801_141844-01.jpeg.8dc9b1730a3455e12433ca16bf606bb0.jpeg
To here:
20200801_141954-01.jpeg.d3d95457412f555d5903e0d7d1014a44.jpeg
You can see where the hole is in the first picture, the ball is right beside it. 

Nice Clean shoes!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Took my son to the range to hit balls under the lights. Worked on my takeaway and making sure I wasn’t hanging back on the swing, which seems to be happening a lot lately when I get out on the course. 

My son had never seen ballflight under the lights. He loved it. He did a lot of work with his driver, his ball position was creeping too far back so a few setup reminders and he was hitting bombs. His irons were pretty good too. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Chipped and putted for half an hour today. Sadly the local muni doesn’t have thick rough like the two Clubs that I play at most regularly. Chipped in on my last shot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Took my son to the range to hit balls under the lights. Worked on my takeaway and making sure I wasn’t hanging back on the swing, which seems to be happening a lot lately when I get out on the course. 

My son had never seen ballflight under the lights. He loved it. He did a lot of work with his driver, his ball position was creeping too far back so a few setup reminders and he was hitting bombs. His irons were pretty good too. 

That smile on his face says it all. Looks like he's got a Daly-esque backswing, he's definitely going to be a bomber. 

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That smile on his face says it all. Looks like he's got a Daly-esque backswing, he's definitely going to be a bomber. 

He loves playing. His swing definitely is long, but his pro when he played PGA Jr was fine with it and I am too. I’m in no position to teach him anything besides setup issues. His pro was a firm believer in letting kids do what they felt athletically comfortable with and slightly tweak when needed. He’s 14 and out drove me on 2 holes last week. 

ok granted one of them I hit a tree, but still... 

Hit around 50 7 irons today after a working lunch at the club. Working on breaking in the D7’s. It went pretty well. Looking forward to getting the rest of them back from my repair guy so that I can give them a go.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Spent a little time outside hitting whiffle balls into the side of the house working on figuring out my irons. I had a thought when I got home from work that I might be trying to get too big of a backswing. I'm more along the lines of a Jon Rahm (minus the copious amounts of power) than a shaft parallel to the ground guy. Lately, I've been trying to hit the cover off the ball and my scores show me how that's working out. With the more controlled backswing and accelerating through the ball I saw better results. Now I've just got to head to the range and see how it does with real balls. 

Just got a hitting net, mat and SC 200 launch monitor to try to get some practice in at home when i don't have time to go to the range.  Any suggestions on best practice sessions to do with this equipment to improve golf game or any warnings of bad swing habits these can cause?  

Thanks! 

:ping-small: G400, 9.0 deg, Tour 75g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W, 14.5 deg

:ping-small: G 3 hybrid

:ping-small: G700 4 iron

:ping-small: i200 5-AW irons

:callaway-small: MD4 56 and 60 deg

:odyssey-small: O Works #1

:bridgestone-small: E6 2015 Yellow

:Arccos: Smart Sensors 

I took a lesson last,week and am working on, rotation of the chest / upper torso on pitch shots and bunker shots.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

I sent two down-the-line, and two face-on videos to my coach, and then got on the phone with him tonight to go through some things I can do to improve. Looking forward to adding some new drills!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've been working with my PGA pro on my set up.  My set up was leading to a lot of other problems in my golf game.  I'm now staying more butt back chest up.  I was previously more hunched over, but didn't feel like I was until I saw video of my posture.  I would get stuck at times and have to throw the club down at the ball or I felt like I would have to stand up to help clear my hips causing me to blade it.  My iron play has become more consistent and my wedge play has become more reliable.  I used to dig trenches with my wedges.  Now my divots have become much shallower.    

My main concentration to keep my posture is to work on keeping my head level throughout the golf swing.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

Hit a small bucket at lunch, still working on my takeaway. It's really coming around, as I hit some really good shots (for me) at the targets I was aiming for. My last driver was an absolute ROPE dead on target. I was tempted to just walk away and be so happy. Instead I decided to hit the last 3 balls in the bucket with my 7i and PW and hit three crap shots in a row 😂

I knew I should have just called it a day after that rope...

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I knew I should have just called it a day after that rope...

But you want to do it again! 

I know the feeling. I had to walk out a few feet onto the range today to grab a couple more balls because I couldn't end on a poor strike.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I've been driving the ball fairly well for the most part, but, out of nowhere, I'll get trapped, slide forward, and hit a huge push fade/slice.  So, today, I worked on initiating the downswing, focusing on weight transfer and clearing my hip (without spinning out or sliding laterally too far forward).  Also working on relaxing the grip more.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Went to the local muni to play 9 since the online tee sheet was wide open. Got there and nope. 3 foursomes ahead of me and another on the tee. No single bookings in between that I could join up with so I hit 2 buckets on the range. Wasn’t too bad, I played a virtual 9 holes and hit then ball pretty decently. I ended with two 9 irons that landed right where I wanted so I walked away happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the range with the intention of learning low flighted shots and working on making sure I don't hit behind the ball.  I ended up hitting a few lower than usual shots, forgetting to work on ball striking, having a good time, and then being completely confused by the time I left.  My buddy has a set of 708 AP2s that I hit a few times for the heck of it.  There's where the problem was.  I hit them just as well as my G.I. irons.... 

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

46 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

I went to the range with the intention of learning low flighted shots and working on making sure I don't hit behind the ball.  I ended up hitting a few lower than usual shots, forgetting to work on ball striking, having a good time, and then being completely confused by the time I left.  My buddy has a set of 708 AP2s that I hit a few times for the heck of it.  There's where the problem was.  I hit them just as well as my G.I. irons.... 

Not unheard of.  If we don't focus on the clubhead,   there are lots of potential variables:  total club weight, swing weight, head weight,  shaft,  shaft length lie angle, etc that could make the club a better fit for your game.   As an MGS most wanted tester, I hit lot of clubs from players clubs through SGI and even within the same category I hit them differently and get different results.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not unheard of.  If we don't focus on the clubhead,   there are lots of potential variables:  total club weight, swing weight, head weight,  shaft,  shaft length lie angle, etc that could make the club a better fit for your game.   As an MGS most wanted tester, I hit lot of clubs from players clubs through SGI and even within the same category I hit them differently and get different results.  

All true.  The lofts on the AP2s are 3 degrees weaker than my irons.  Thats possibly why I was able to get them up in the air with relative ease.  Except for the 4 iron.  That's a beast beyond my skills in that type of iron.  Now I just need Covid to die down.  The nearest two fitterest to me are in high infection rate areas.

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

All true.  The lofts on the AP2s are 3 degrees weaker than my irons.  Thats possibly why I was able to get them up in the air with relative ease.  Except for the 4 iron.  That's a beast beyond my skills in that type of iron.  Now I just need Covid to die down.  The nearest two fitterest to me are in high infection rate areas.

Why even try to hit a 4 iron?   6 is the longest iron I carry and fill the rest of the gaps with hybrids;  fairway woods would launch even higher.   I don't hit the 5 irons during testing consistent enough to want to put one in my bag.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Why even try to hit a 4 iron?   6 is the longest iron I carry and fill the rest of the gaps with hybrids;  fairway woods would launch even higher.   I don't hit the 5 irons during testing consistent enough to want to put one in my bag.

I'm thinking about ditching my 5 iron. Can sometimes hit it fine, but its not consistent.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Because it was there.

Touched my  clubs  for 1st time in 3 weeks. Game had been horrid and a driver fitting convinced me to change my grip. Work, a 2nd job doing club repair  bad game' crowded courses, and time hasnt allowed me to do much besides work and more work.Hit the range tonight  with my new grip and finally dialed  it in.Went out with 8-gw and hit a bucket. Best practice in months. High' straight  and able to move the ball like i want to..

New life to the game for sure

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

IMG_2143.JPG

Went to the range and was able to hit balls for a full hour and a half today. It was only 88, felt like 91, overcast, light breeze, about as good as it gets here in August.

Wanted to test drives ver swing speed so that’s where I started first, dynamic warm up right to driver 95,95, 101, 96,96. Very pleased with that.

Then measured a few targets 121, 125, 157. Hit wedges to the 121, perfect distance 9 iron to the 125 mostly long, 7 iron to the 157 - it was really between 6 and 7 to me - well struck 7’s were there, all the 6’s were past it.

Then I played a simulated 9 based on the course I will play tomorrow afternoon. My driver swing speed ran from 93-98 so it stayed up throughout the session.

Finished off with some 56’s at a flag that was 77. I can hit that club around 85 when I’m swinging full but don’t like to ever do that with a wedge. 77 was perfect and I hit it well.

Overall a good day. Getting more acclimated to the D7’s and liking them. Really looking forward to the D7 forged!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Chipping and putting after work today. I don’t know what was going on but I chipped in 3 times in 20 minutes! Pretty much random stuff too, toss three balls, accept the lie and hit the 52 towards the hole.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's hot here!!  Last night the temp never dropped below 80º and it made it to 108º for the third straight day.  Too hot to play for my wife, so I've taken the week off so far.  However, I went to the course at 7am to practice.  Hit a few balls on the range, then some pitch shots but spent most of my time on the putting green.  I have neglected my putting practice most of this year.  We have no holes to putt toward, so very few players even use the putting green to warm up before a round.  I had the green all to myself.  Since I haven't been practicing, I have had more 3-putts than I am used to.  That has to change!!

Placed 2 tees in the middle of the green about a cup-width apart.  Worked on 15-20 footers... lining up the ball and putter like playing, making the stroke, focusing on getting the ball to the tees.  I only putt two balls at a time... rinse and repeat at different distances.  Both balls must be within a foot of the tees, but not short.  I putt from both sides of the tees, then move a tee to give me a different angle.  

Felt good to spend the practice time, and I will head back again tomorrow.  More putting practice and chip shots.  With no one on the putting green, I can chip from 10 feet to 20 yards.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's hot here!!  Last night the temp never dropped below 80º and it made it to 108º for the third straight day.  Too hot to play for my wife, so I've taken the week off so far.  However, I went to the course at 7am to practice.  Hit a few balls on the range, then some pitch shots but spent most of my time on the putting green.  I have neglected my putting practice most of this year.  We have no holes to putt toward, so very few players even use the putting green to warm up before a round.  I had the green all to myself.  Since I haven't been practicing, I have had more 3-putts than I am used to.  That has to change!!
Placed 2 tees in the middle of the green about a cup-width apart.  Worked on 15-20 footers... lining up the ball and putter like playing, making the stroke, focusing on getting the ball to the tees.  I only putt two balls at a time... rinse and repeat at different distances.  Both balls must be within a foot of the tees, but not short.  I putt from both sides of the tees, then move a tee to give me a different angle.  
Felt good to spend the practice time, and I will head back again tomorrow.  More putting practice and chip shots.  With no one on the putting green, I can chip from 10 feet to 20 yards.

Would no holes on the practice green be the norm at this time? Ours all have holes with noodles in them.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

Would no holes on the practice green be the norm at this time? Ours all have holes with noodles in them.

I have only been to one other course in my area since COVID started.  It had shallow holes with the mini flagsticks, but the greens are in bad shape.  Our course has not put holes in the green since we opened up in early May.  We are a muni, and I think it is a cost-saving measure as well as a safety measure.  They have cut back some of the maintenance and shop staff, no new sand in bunkers, and there hasn't been as much done for weed and pest control as in the past.  Course still looks and plays OK, but it's subtly different.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”