TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

12 hours ago, Rickp said:

Got to the range right @ 7:00 and got to far left area so I don’t frighten the RH golfers.

Started off a few shots that were AAWWFUL! Settled down and tried to remember the good stuff my instructor went over w me B4 he retired when C19 came here.

Finally started to feel a decent swing again and some good results. Even hit a few decent hybrid shots which have been dogging me for months. Hit off mats, so much rain last week or so it’s a bit sloppy.IMG_1395.JPG

Early Tee Time Friday @ toughest 9 in our area.....swell.

I bet you find it just as unnerving as I do... on the range swinging with a guy next door facing you.  Happened to me last week.  A lefty shows up when I am halfway through my bucket and starts swinging looking at me.  I quit.  Couldn't take it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I bet you find it just as unnerving as I do... on the range swinging with a guy next door facing you.  Happened to me last week.  A lefty shows up when I am halfway through my bucket and starts swinging looking at me.  I quit.  Couldn't take it.

Yup, hate it . I always head down to the far left and grab the last stall.
There was a range in CT that had a LH area and worked out great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've been practicing on a nightly basis putting on a 48" metal measuring stick.  I'm working on keeping the ball rolling on the stick and not falling off side to side.  I know if the putt was off based on the roll.  The stick is flat too.  Just in case someone asks.  I've had a large problem putting the ball on line so getting a consistent stroke has really helped.    

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

5 hours ago, Rickp said:

Yup, hate it . I always head down to the far left and grab the last stall.
There was a range in CT that had a LH area and worked out great.

That's what I do as i head to the wall of urinals in a public toilet....    😏

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Played a Par 3 yesterday afternoon .. one that's great for wedges and short irons (most holes are PW, 9i or 8i for me) .. trying to focus on key things from my recent lessons, including better golf posture during the takeaway and better movement towards the target on the downswing. First swing was straight but short; next bunch of holes the tee shots (off of mats) were going the right distance but way left of where I thought I was aiming and lined up to...

So I had lots of chances to practice my secondary objective = trying to get up and down more often. Chipping was pretty much on-line but too often further longer or shorter of the hole than 3 ft, and then too often did not sink the first putt (though they were all pretty close .. except one where the sprinklers had just been on so I'd thought the wet green would be slower and I ran the first putt waaay past the hole!).

Last few holes was able to straighten out the shots though still was short or long of my intended targets.

Overall feel like I'm making some progress in my game - despite not really scoring any better - but am (generally..) hitting the ball more solidly and feel like I'm starting to gain a bit of control over distance and direction 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

@cksurfdude what par 3 did you play?

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

5 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

@cksurfdude what par 3 did you play?

That was the one at Smithtown Landing (it's kind of "inside" the main course). I also go to Heartland once in a while - that's a fun and challenging Par 3; and once or twice a season to the 18-Hole Par 3 at Robert Moses - shorter holes / wedges only but great target practice!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Just now, cksurfdude said:

That was the one at Smithtown Landing (it's kind of "inside" the main course). I also go to Heartland once in a while - that's a fun and challenging Par 3; and once or twice a season to the 18-Hole Par 3 at Robert Moses - shorter holes / wedges only but great target practice!

i’ve gotta get out to those...i’m getting tired of playing Eisenhower park haha

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

That's what I do as i head to the wall of urinals in a public toilet....    

Huh, never thought of that.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Second range session after last Saturday’s lesson.

Of course not everything with perfect because it feels weird to be so close to the ball but it was very good - lots of solid straight shots and no hosel rockets.

Moved the driver back up a notch - I had brought it all the way down because I felt that I was launching it too high. I do launch it high at 11.25, 14-16 degrees but I was carrying it over 225. That works for me.

I’m planning to play after church Sunday but we may be impacted by a tropical system so we’ll see. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

got to the range for about an hour today. brought my 6i, 9i, and lob wedge

started off with some chips. i’m trying to develop a go to chip shot. i’m finding pretty consistent high spin mid launch shots carrying about 50y if i bring by swing back to about hip height. 

moved into some full wedge shots from there, which felt great 

then went 9i, 6i working on ball first contact and downward aoa. fat shots are my biggest problem 

I wanted to go to the range today, but the smoke is back in town; this time from the fires in Oregon as the wind is from the south.

So, I spent my practice time in my indoor (sorta) range hitting wedge shots focusing on a flat left wrist.  My wrists are quite weak; years of arthritis.  I make better contact when I bow my wrist, but I don't do it on every shot.  I am also trying to delay my turn from the top of my backswing... more power!  I just need to sync it up.

Tomorrow I play our sister course across the river... 2nd time this year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hit a full bucket yesterday: my cut/fade swing with the driver has begun leaking into my iron swing recently. So I wanted every iron hit left and every drive off the toe just to remind myself that I could. Then I noticed that my club face was really open at the top of my backswing, so I’ll be working on that for next few practice sessions...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I'm in a stretch at work where I get two days off over the course of 17 days and won't have much time to play, so I hit the range today. It was my first time hitting the new (to me) Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons I picked up last Sunday. I'm thankful my wife is perfectly understandable of my recent club ho'ing and let me pick them up at a great price. 20200913_131225-01.jpeg.2fcecbee08548a8616340b8badf21d70.jpeg

First impressions are great! They're a little shorter than my regular gamers but seem to go where I want and fly beautifully. They have a muted click at impact that is pleasing to my ears and don't kill your hands with mis-hits while still offering feedback. 

I simplified my thought process on the range to "relax and compress" and hit some good shots. Sometimes the compress thought led to "stay on your back foot and chunk the daylights out of the ball". 

I also spent some time with the wedges hitting partial shots to 30 yards and time with the driver trying to make it a viable option of the tee once again. The wedges like going to the right, I need to work on why I'm pulling the ball and correct that. The irons and driver both were producing nice fades that are perfectly playable if I allow for it. It's the best I've hit driver in a while and hopefully I can take that thought to the course.  

Hit a small bucket this morning. I honestly wasn't in the right headspace, and after about 20 balls things deteriorated quickly. I tried switching things up as best as I could but it was just bad. I left the rest of the bucket and walked away. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 9/13/2020 at 6:05 PM, sirchunksalot said:

the new (to me) Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons

Nice looking irons!! 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 9/14/2020 at 6:45 AM, russtopherb said:

Hit a small bucket this morning. I honestly wasn't in the right headspace, and after about 20 balls things deteriorated quickly. I tried switching things up as best as I could but it was just bad. I left the rest of the bucket and walked away. 

It was the right thing to do... speaking from experience!

Bought a hitting net when the restrictions started this spring and I have really enjoyed being able to take swings each day. It has really helped me get in a groove. So today was like most days able to hit about 40 balls today. Looking to get back to hitting putts on my mat more nights.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Air quality still too poor in my area to go out. Practice with my new putting aid

48AE8632-FC35-4A79-82DF-AD92A786246C.jpeg.7e3b9478a775f9102c56884146f2944e.jpeg

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Hit a small bucket this morning at the range before "work", I've been chomping at the bit to get back out for some practice for two reasons. First, I was disappointed in my last practice session, which admittedly I wasn't in the right headspace for. Second, @Wedgie very graciously let me borrow a set of One Lengths to try out to see how I liked them.

So after one bucket... please allow me to say I like them VERY MUCH. I started with 7i because I know what my "usual" distance & flight is with that club using range balls. From there I jumped to 5i, which I hit low but holy cow so straight. From there I moved up to wedges which honestly didn't take much adjustment to hit. I've read to just take a normal swing with them and not go slow or hit softer due to the shaft length, and I hit some towering shots. I ended with driver, my first ball was a worm burner and I immediately thought "oh man here we go again". Then I realized that I was tensing up and had a death grip on the downswing. I eased up and relaxed my wrists & arms and what do you know - decent (for me) drivers to end the bucket. 

I'm hoping I can get out again tomorrow to hit these irons some more. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

56 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Hit a small bucket this morning at the range before "work", I've been chomping at the bit to get back out for some practice for two reasons. First, I was disappointed in my last practice session, which admittedly I wasn't in the right headspace for. Second, @Wedgie very graciously let me borrow a set of One Lengths to try out to see how I liked them.

So after one bucket... please allow me to say I like them VERY MUCH. I started with 7i because I know what my "usual" distance & flight is with that club using range balls. From there I jumped to 5i, which I hit low but holy cow so straight. From there I moved up to wedges which honestly didn't take much adjustment to hit. I've read to just take a normal swing with them and not go slow or hit softer due to the shaft length, and I hit some towering shots. I ended with driver, my first ball was a worm burner and I immediately thought "oh man here we go again". Then I realized that I was tensing up and had a death grip on the downswing. I eased up and relaxed my wrists & arms and what do you know - decent (for me) drivers to end the bucket. 

I'm hoping I can get out again tomorrow to hit these irons some more. 

My pleasure!  On the 5 iron try moving it forward a hair in your stance.  It will make a big difference, at least it does for me.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

With a large amount of changes in my golf swing this year, and just now everything starting to feel right, I got on trackman yesterday to confirm distances. Happy to say thanks in part to those changes making better launch conditions I have increased yardage.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Due to my back injury and the air quality outside, I'm stuck inside the house. Practicing properly gripping the club. That is one of the fundamentals that causes me the most problems. I need to always remember to grip the club properly.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Able to hit the range today. A bit windy but some beautiful views. Been working on getting the hips to start the downswing, I can tend to get my hands a bit too quick. Pretty successful found a groove with about ten balls to go (isn't that always the way). Then I was able to hit the practice green which revealed that I have indeed not been practicing this enough.

IMG_20200918_161251.jpg

IMG_20200918_155441.jpg

IMG_20200918_162707.jpg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

damn @ejgaudette that’s a good looking range!

i hit the range today as well but it definitely wasn’t that scenic

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

damn @ejgaudette that’s a good looking range!

i hit the range today as well but it definitely wasn’t that scenic

Thanks it is scenic though there is a stern price to pay for the view. I only have about a month left before the cold weather arrives here and then a long 5 months or so without golf.

took my new cobra UDI to the range today to really stretch its legs. man i love this thing so far.

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

took my new cobra UDI to the range today to really stretch its legs. man i love this thing so far.

Looking like a good hit, and I know you have mentioned you club head speed before and just the sound of the ball coming off that club is something else. Though I will give you, your range is a bit less scenic.

4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Looking like a good hit, and I know you have mentioned you club head speed before and just the sound of the ball coming off that club is something else. Though I will give you, your range is a bit less scenic.

thanks man. i was hitting them well today. working on smoothing the swing out and delivering the face more consistently 

3 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

thanks man. i was hitting them well today. working on smoothing the swing out and delivering the face more consistently 

I imagine there is some speed to give up there. Keep up the hard work.