TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

I took the Hogan's out for another day of practice, along with a special guest....my Spalding driver. Or as my wife likes to call it, my per-cinnamon driver.20200920_161224-01.jpeg.f777f968c2dcca29efcb3989871e07fc.jpeg

My goal today was to relax and rely on my body to swing the club and try not to get too armsy with my swing. The irons are coming along good, I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be with them, but I'm seeing progress. Once I focused on not swaying contact became better and I was enjoying hitting the ball. I will say I was curious about the V sole on the Hogan and I can say with full confidence the turf interaction when you hit four inches behind the ball is actually more pleasant than with other irons I've hit. The divots they make are things of beauty. 

The per-cinnamon still needs some work, but I was able to get more airborne than the last time I tried to hit it. I'll call it a work in progress.

My normal driver seems to be acting nicer than it has over the past few times I've used it, even with my bad contact.20200920_160705-01.jpeg.90fd6646bae746a88415c0e2d7784537.jpeg

I'm guessing I'm living on the high toe just a bit too much. The two I hit center heel were straight up pulls that I worried we're going to fly the net and possibly hit the cars passing by on the road, I've come close before and it's not a great feeling. 

Finished off the session on the putting green hitting chip shots with my new 52, 60, and the set PW. I'm going to have to adjust for less roll out as the combination on new grooves and Srixon Z Star XV's were zipping pretty good. 

21 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I took the Hogan's out for another day of practice, along with a special guest....my Spalding driver. Or as my wife likes to call it, my per-cinnamon driver.20200920_161224-01.jpeg.f777f968c2dcca29efcb3989871e07fc.jpeg

My goal today was to relax and rely on my body to swing the club and try not to get too armsy with my swing. The irons are coming along good, I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be with them, but I'm seeing progress. Once I focused on not swaying contact became better and I was enjoying hitting the ball. I will say I was curious about the V sole on the Hogan and I can say with full confidence the turf interaction when you hit four inches behind the ball is actually more pleasant than with other irons I've hit. The divots they make are things of beauty. 

The per-cinnamon still needs some work, but I was able to get more airborne than the last time I tried to hit it. I'll call it a work in progress.

My normal driver seems to be acting nicer than it has over the past few times I've used it, even with my bad contact.20200920_160705-01.jpeg.90fd6646bae746a88415c0e2d7784537.jpeg

I'm guessing I'm living on the high toe just a bit too much. The two I hit center heel were straight up pulls that I worried we're going to fly the net and possibly hit the cars passing by on the road, I've come close before and it's not a great feeling. 

Finished off the session on the putting green hitting chip shots with my new 52, 60, and the set PW. I'm going to have to adjust for less roll out as the combination on new grooves and Srixon Z Star XV's were zipping pretty good. 

Stop saving the sweet spot!!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just trying to prolong the life of the driver. 😂

Exactly that's why I try to use the toe and heel as much as possible😬 at least that's what I tell myself.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Since the greens are slow after aeration, and I can't seem to make myself putt the ball all the way to the hole, I decided that putting practice was something I didn't want to do.  Make sense?  I know that the greens will speed up one of these days.

However, chipping is also an issue since the ball doesn't run out close to the hole, and I'm not getting up and down as often.  So, today I tried to re-calibrate my chipping distance.  I spent an hour this morning on the putting green (no holes so not many people using it).  My bump 'n runs last weekend weren't running, leaving me with longer putts (that I didn't get to the hole!!)  So, I tried different wedges focusing on flying the ball closer to the "hole" (two tees) than I otherwise would have.  I chipped from the fringe and the rough.  20 footers and less were best with my 60º; longer than 20 footers were best with my gap wedge.  

One of my walking buddies was there and stopped to chat.  He said he was struggling with chip shots; hitting fat.  I told him to set up to a chip shot, then told him to close the distance from his toes to the ball by half with his feet together.  Now his chip shot does not arc as much on his backswing, and he is making repeatable contact.  So, both of us had a good practice day.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

back to the range with the new driving iron

worked on a bigger shoulder turn on my takeaway and getting my hands lower through contact 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Was thinking of playing 9 this afternoon .. hoping the Summer crush was starting to wane .. but got to the course and it was jam-packed!! 

And.. no one on the practice green so spent some time there with two balls focusing on distance control; eg. hit one to a target spot and try to put the second right next to it. Things were going ok until two groups rushed in putting and chipping balls all over the place before their tee times, so I decided to go over to the next nearby course to see if there was an open spot on the range (has been regularly filled up).

Turns out there was - and a spot at the upwind end, too - so parked, grabbed my bag and walk up .. head over towards the shop window to pay for a bucket only to find ... somewhere along the line I dropped a $100 bill... ...

(Yeah I know .. who the heck does that other than Al Czervik??!!??)

Looked all around on the ground - maybe I dropped it when I pulled my mask out of my pocket? - while telling myself, "..this is gonna be the most expensive *NON*-range session ever!"

Don't see anything anywhere so grab my bag and walk back to the car feeling stoopit .. I either dropped it in the lot and someone's found it by now, or I dropped it back at the first course and it's long gone.

Look around and under the car, and ... yep there it is ... WHEW!!! Crumple it up and cram it deep down in my pocket and head back up to the range...

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my past few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

Been working on the irons a lot lately, and I think I'm starting to feel where my new left miss is coming from. And still a lot more work to do but hit some solid shots and am making progress.

Here's a shot of that range, looking North towards Long Island Sound (zoom in on the top and you'll see some blue out there)...

20200922_222554.jpg.d9a2a6f844db1a553c18c040d5b7ca26.jpg

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the cart garage!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Was thinking of playing 9 this afternoon .. hoping the Summer crush was starting to wane .. but got to the course and it was jam-packed!! 

And.. no one on the practice green so spent some time there with two balls focusing on distance control; eg. hit one to a target spot and try to put the second right next to it. Things were going ok until two groups rushed in putting and chipping balls all over the place before their tee times, so I decided to go over to the next nearby course to see if there was an open spot on the range (has been regularly filled up).

Turns out there was - and a spot at the upwind end, too - so parked, grabbed my bag and walk up .. head over towards the shop window to pay for a bucket only to find ... somewhere along the line I dropped a $100 bill... ...

Looked all around on the ground - maybe I dropped it when I pulled my mask out of my pocket? - while telling myself, "..this is gonna be the most expensive *NON*-range session ever!"

Don't see anything anywhere so grab my bag and walk back to the car feeling stoopit .. I either dropped it in the lot and someone's found it by now, or I dropped it back at the first course and it's long gone.

Look around and under the car, and ... yep there it is ... WHEW!!! Crumple it up and cram it deep down in my pocket and head back up to the range...

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my party few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

Been working on the irons a lot lately, and I think I'm starting to feel where my new left miss is coming from. And still a lot more work to do but hit some solid shots and am making progress.

Here's a shot of that range, looking North towards Long Island Sound (zoom in on the top and you'll see some blue out there)...

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the car garage!

where’s this range? i wouldn’t mind hitting there

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

7 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my past few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the cart garage!

That is a nice view as well 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Got out for a small bucket this morning, mostly stuck with irons and wedges. Wedges and short irons were fine. Great even (for me). 5i-7i on the other hand... blech. Short game area at the local muni where I practice is still closed, no flags or holes so my practice on that part of my game is woefully lacking. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I hit 50 wedge shots in the backyard this morning while moving the sprinkler around.  58 yards per the MG Golf range finder, used the 57* trying to dial in the high soft ones.  I hit 10 at a time then go get them, move the sprinkler (so I can say I was doing yard work 😇 ) and do it again. 

It was a pretty good session for me with the worst being 6/10 hitting the green on the first set and then 8 or 9 /10 on the other sets.  From the angle I was hitting to miss the cars, the target area to hit the green is ~15' diam circle.  I am better with the half swing 53* when at that distance but sometimes need the height of the 57* depending on whats to clear in front and how much green room there is in front of the pin.

View from the mat..... 58 yds

20200924_093727.jpg.cc9af217a65bfce8c43e3f4c8850c2bc.jpg

from about 30 yards.....

20200924_093707.jpg.d40bb52f860b587f459cc036c582926f.jpg

The target zone.....

20200924_093839.jpg.a9cd3411c087db8b3e26a0b439622fec.jpg

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

hit the range last night and tried the "Bryson" swing... one thing that people have pointed out is that with his 'new' swing compared to his old swing he's already at impact vs just starting his downswing on the new one.

So I tried to up the tempo - much faster back and through.... actually was quite surprised with the results. It feels much different but in a good way. Might have to put that into play. My tempo is usually pretty slow.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Working through a bunch of buckets this week trying to cement the takeaway. Really good progress the last two days after noticing on video Tuesday that a few things were off with my right hand grip. Combined that fix with a "right forearm over left" feeling in the takeaway and I am back to hitting some really nice shots with long and short irons. 

The driver is still a mess. Oh well.

One of the things I need to focus on more is moving my arms together with my torso. Sometimes I get so focused on the hands I don't turn my shoulders until late, which gets the club stuck way behind me. Typically this leads to blocks right or if I get back to the ball, thin shots.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 9/22/2020 at 11:05 PM, Chip Strokes said:

where’s this range? i wouldn’t mind hitting there

Hey, it's at Crab Meadow in Northport.

Plz note, tho, the view is the best part - there are not a whole lot of hitting bays, the back fence is only about 225 out (but plenty for me) and the range balls are really super crappy .. a few decent practice balls and an occasional gamer someone discarded but mostly ooooold and beat... 

But lemme know if you go there!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I hit 50 wedge shots in the backyard this morning while moving the sprinkler around.  58 yards per the MG Golf range finder, used the 57* trying to dial in the high soft ones.  I hit 10 at a time then go get them, move the sprinkler (so I can say I was doing yard work 😇 ) and do it again. 

It was a pretty good session for me with the worst being 6/10 hitting the green on the first set and then 8 or 9 /10 on the other sets.  From the angle I was hitting to miss the cars, the target area to hit the green is ~15' diam circle.  I am better with the half swing 53* when at that distance but sometimes need the height of the 57* depending on whats to clear in front and how much green room there is in front of the pin.

View from the mat..... 58 yds

20200924_093727.jpg.cc9af217a65bfce8c43e3f4c8850c2bc.jpg

from about 30 yards.....

20200924_093707.jpg.d40bb52f860b587f459cc036c582926f.jpg

The target zone.....

20200924_093839.jpg.a9cd3411c087db8b3e26a0b439622fec.jpg

Very nice practice area! You've got better nerves than me, I'd be worried I'd hit one of those cars most notably the SUV. It's good you were able to get in a little practice during yard work.

Well just some backyard swings today. Found a bag of balls at work today going through spaces. Boy I wish I had some of these for the rock hard challenge 😂 These ones were soft but they didn’t fly straight at all....

3FF8223C-53F6-4D55-B2FB-2EE11E56FB91.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Another small bucket this morning, got things back on track for the most part. One thing that I really need to continue to work on is my aim. I had pulled my "aim sticks" out of my bag and forgot them in the garage, and it felt like everything was going left for a while without anything to reference on the grass range this morning. When I finally stood back and looked at where I was aiming, turns out I was WAY off. I laid down a few clubs and things were definitely better after that.

Also! Sign is up that the chipping & putting greens will be open soon! 😄 I really need to get back to working on my short game. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

22 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Very nice practice area! You've got better nerves than me, I'd be worried I'd hit one of those cars most notably the SUV. It's good you were able to get in a little practice during yard work.

If the spousal unit was up I'd have been told to move the SUV... Such a lack of respect for my ball striking ability!!    🤔

I should've moved it a bit to the left, not because of a hit off the club, but if the shot is just a little short it will bounce all kinds of crazy directions off the rocks and could reach where it was.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, cksurfdude said:

Hey, it's at Crab Meadow in Northport.

Plz note, tho, the view is the best part - there are not a whole lot of hitting bays, the back fence is only about 225 out (but plenty for me) and the range balls are really super crappy .. a few decent practice balls and an occasional gamer someone discarded but mostly ooooold and beat... 

But lemme know if you go there!

You just describe Buckskin; 3 miles from my house, except there is NO back fence... 225 out is the #8 fairway!!  I use to be a member!!

Just a range day today. Was good to get out, have not played in a week. Lots of driver just to keep up the good strikes I’ve been having....it continued. Was hitting 117 consistently for SS and nothing heely, center or slightly off center.

finished up with closest to the target with @B.Boston always a fun way to finish up. We actually started to shape some shots which was a lot of fun. Over faded and over drew a lot but fun nonetheless. Thought process was there

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Just a range day today. Was good to get out, have not played in a week. Lots of driver just to keep up the good strikes I’ve been having....it continued. Was hitting 117 consistently for SS and nothing heely, center or slightly off center.
finished up with closest to the target with [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] always a fun way to finish up. We actually started to shape some shots which was a lot of fun. Over faded and over drew a lot but fun nonetheless. Thought process was there

That was a fun way to end it. I liked trying to shape the shot and think we should keep that one in the normal routine!

Felt nice to hit some balls at the range... especially with the Ventus in the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Took a lesson from my longtime coach 4 hours away North of New Orleans. I hadn’t gone to him in a number of years because he had switched to a “method”, so now that he’s dumped that idea, he’s back to “normal”.

Ultimately, I left with a great idea on what I need to work-on, and have some drills to do. Nothing major, which is great!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Had a great practice session yesterday morning. Finally starting to feel comfortable with the D7 forged irons. I have a vacation that starts Tuesday and intend to play two “rounds” on the local par 3 course as well as a regular round on Weds.

Then I’m hoping to hit an LM the following week - by then I should have enough data to write my review.

I’m going to head to the putting green on my way in to church to practice chipping with the GW. It’s got a much hotter face than what I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I spent a little time in the backyard hitting foam ball with the wedges working on alignment and distance control...well as accurately as you can with foam balls. I've been using them since I'm trying to hit a little more in to out and was afraid of shanking real balls. It seems to be coming along nicely, as I'm missing fewer shots to the left. 

It was a fun time until the mosquitoes showed up and started feasting. Good thing was we were tied 3/3 when I went in. 3 bites, 3 dead. I hate those little vampires.

Going to be a combo practice/play/new club test today. Heading out for 9 holes, but only going to play the graphite shaft irons I got this week to test them out. I’ll keep score just for curiosity as I haven’t done this in a while.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

Been practicing the “modern chipping” method using the “bounce” and final felt confident to chip like that the whole round.   I always been a hinge &hold type of chipper as well as forward press type putter.  Now the butt points at my mid body and using my rotation  I always had a fear of blading/sculling but if I keep my feet close together I can control the leading edge/bounce much better.    I trying to keep my putting similar with no forward lean of the shaft 

Still lots of good chippers and putters with hands forward I find H&H chipping more effective in heavy rough

Ifind ball rolls better on  monster long putts if I have use forward press so I will still keeping doing that in special circumstances 

8 hours ago, Haro said:

Been practicing the “modern chipping” method using the “bounce” and final felt confident to chip like that the whole round.   I always been a hinge &hold type of chipper as well as forward press type putter.  Now the butt points at my mid body and using my rotation  I always had a fear of blading/sculling but if I keep my feet close together I can control the leading edge/bounce much better.    I trying to keep my putting similar with no forward lean of the shaft 

Still lots of good chippers and putters with hands forward I find H&H chipping more effective in heavy rough

Ifind ball rolls better on  monster long putts if I have use forward press so I will still keeping doing that in special circumstances 

Good luck!  Report back.  

I tried the hinge & hold and it wasn't for me.  Phil makes it look so easy but he practices it all the time.  When I went to wide sole C-grind wedges (Callaway PM Grind), the bounce is my friend and blading a shot is extremely rare even with a 12º SW.  I get in trouble when I frequently use more than one technique; I seem to blend then together, which is always bad.

Similar for the putter; forward lean or no lean.  It makes a difference.  Just have to stick with one or the other.  I was fitted with my current putter (Ping Sigma G) using a forward press.  The correct loft of the putter makes a big difference on the roll.  

After years of “reverse C “ and weak iron play   I been trying hard at the driving range to have the modern stand tall type finish    Difficult to incorporate the setup learn at the driving range to the course.   Notice that if I adjust my left hand grip “behind” my body it taunts my left armpit , loosen my left thumb and puts my left hand in more stronger hold position 

Ball position off my left side rather than the right will help ensure I don’t “reverse C”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Good luck!  Report back.  

I tried the hinge & hold and it wasn't for me.  Phil makes it look so easy but he practices it all the time.  When I went to wide sole C-grind wedges (Callaway PM Grind), the bounce is my friend and blading a shot is extremely rare even with a 12º SW.  I get in trouble when I frequently use more than one technique; I seem to blend then together, which is always bad.

Similar for the putter; forward lean or no lean.  It makes a difference.  Just have to stick with one or the other.  I was fitted with my current putter (Ping Sigma G) using a forward press.  The correct loft of the putter makes a big difference on the roll.  

Good point about blending techniques. I mess up and either duff or blade my chips when I mix up the techniques  So many ways to chip    I would blame the technique if I mess up but really it’s just not committing to one or the other method