TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Practiced some dry swings today trying to get more depth in the swing. This time, this is not a random youtube tip i am trying. I have been told by multiple instructors to focus on more depth, but along the way i have strayed away from it. For me, I am seeing now how more depth reduces the cupping in my left wrist at the top and will help square up the club better.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

IMG_2290.JPG

Well some plans just don’t come to fruition. I’m on vacation this week and was planning to go to the par 3 course to compare gamer 9, PW with D7 9, PW. Four holes in it started pouring. I was supposed to play golf for real today - I got a text from my buddy that his course was closed because we’ve had so much rain and mine had no tee times. :(

I was able to get to the range and hit a number of shots. It was 93 when I teed off at 10:30 yesterday and 73 when I got to the range at 1030 today. Perfect! It was beautiful, Eagle 🦅 was back, nice cool breeze, very tight lies but that’s okay.

There was a flag at 142, 8 iron was carrying short of it, 7 past it very consistently. I also worked on pitching, trap play (terrible) and putting.

Ive shifted stuff around and am playing Sunday afternoon. I will be hitting balls again tomorrow and Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Went to the range absolutely determined to figure out what's going on with my driver. Over the course of a bucket, it looks like I've learned two things.

1 - My D7 is just too light. I lose where the head is all the time. I hit an older R1 far, far better with much straighter shots. Even the poor shots I hit with that driver would have been mostly playable and not definitely OB. The D7 was all over the place, even with some more controlled swings, which leads me to...

2 - My backswing has become WAY too long again. I set up so I could video a few swings and what felt to me like going back to waist height with my hands was actually a near perfect position. Unsurprisingly, balls hit from there were either straight or a slight draw. Taking what felt like my "normal" driver backswing looked like John Daly and those shots were all over the place.

Unfortunately I had to back out of the scramble I was supposed to be in this weekend due to a mandatory meeting I have to attend with my son for his confirmation class, but I cannot wait to get out on the course to see if I can hold onto what I saw today with the driver in hand.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Well after screwing up the date/time for a putting clinic this afternoon (to be rescheduled), I'm happy to say I had a REALLY PRODUCTIVE range session under the tutelage of @Jmikecpa ... who with a few key tips helped me start making waaaay better contact with my irons and hybrid - heck, even hit my 3W off the mat decently a few times (and have only used it off the tee up to now). 

Gave me a great drill to work on, too, to help counter my bad tendency to hang back on the downswing. Look out golf balls - I'm gonna smash you guys! 😂

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Well after screwing up the date/time for a putting clinic this afternoon (to be rescheduled), I'm happy to say I had a REALLY PRODUCTIVE range session under the tutelage of [mention=604]Jmikecpa[/mention] ... who with a few key tips helped me start making waaaay better contact with my irons and hybrid - heck, even hit my 3W off the mat decently a few times (and have only used it off the tee up to now). 
Gave me a great drill to work on, too, to help counter my bad tendency to hang back on the downswing. Look out golf balls - I'm gonna smash you guys!

I don’t deserve any credit, your instructor had the right idea I just passed along a drill my son used for a similar issue. Keep working at it and you will continue to stripe it. I unfortunately am in late season wind down mode and my swing is like a 4 out of 10 at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-logo-1: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Went to the range absolutely determined to figure out what's going on with my driver. Over the course of a bucket, it looks like I've learned two things.

1 - My D7 is just too light. I lose where the head is all the time. I hit an older R1 far, far better with much straighter shots. Even the poor shots I hit with that driver would have been mostly playable and not definitely OB. The D7 was all over the place, even with some more controlled swings, which leads me to...

2 - My backswing has become WAY too long again. I set up so I could video a few swings and what felt to me like going back to waist height with my hands was actually a near perfect position. Unsurprisingly, balls hit from there were either straight or a slight draw. Taking what felt like my "normal" driver backswing looked like John Daly and those shots were all over the place.

Unfortunately I had to back out of the scramble I was supposed to be in this weekend due to a mandatory meeting I have to attend with my son for his confirmation class, but I cannot wait to get out on the course to see if I can hold onto what I saw today with the driver in hand.

Do you know what the swingweight is for your D7?  I also liked the feel of a heavier club; hit them much straighter.  A couple of years ago I bought a Wilson D300; very light!!  I was all over the place, so put a 65g shaft in it; had to add lead tape to the head to get swingweight up to D2.  It felt good, but now it was as heavy as other drivers I've tried.  I went back to the D300 with the stock light shaft, but removed most of the lead tape until I finally got D2.  Now it's light, and feels like I like it.  It took some getting used to, but I can swing it faster than any other driver so more distance, AND I can control it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Do you know what the swingweight is for your D7?  I also liked the feel of a heavier club; hit them much straighter.  A couple of years ago I bought a Wilson D300; very light!!  I was all over the place, so put a 65g shaft in it; had to add lead tape to the head to get swingweight up to D2.  It felt good, but now it was as heavy as other drivers I've tried.  I went back to the D300 with the stock light shaft, but removed most of the lead tape until I finally got D2.  Now it's light, and feels like I like it.  It took some getting used to, but I can swing it faster than any other driver so more distance, AND I can control it.

D7 is a D2 swingweight vs the R1 at D4.

12 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I don’t deserve any credit, your instructor had the right idea I just passed along a drill my son used for a similar issue.

You totally do ... it was the right tip at the right time! Simple & effective .. gonna continue to work on it .. definitely helped move me further along towards better ball striking 👍

AND.. the ball position tip, too! Fyi for the readers - JMike had me move the ball further forward in my stance with the hybrid, aaannd ... the ball flew higher, straighter and longer. No swing change .. just that setup change. Wow!

12 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I unfortunately am in late season wind down mode and my swing is like a 4 out of 10 at the moment.

Well I'll have to check you out at the start of next season 'cuz those golf balls looked like they were flying to me! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Snuck out to the muni's range this morning, I love being out there all by myself in the crisp morning air. My attempts at thinking what feels like a waist high backswing continued to work very well. Had some pulls with the driver but nothing that would have been off the planet; the majority of the shots were lower but straight and I'll take that 8 days a week. Keeping that backswing feel with my fairway woods was just amazing compared to what I'm used to. I spent most of the bucket just hitting wedges and short irons to targets and kept mixing things up.

It figures that I get the kinks worked out in OCTOBER... 

Wait you’re actually skipping something significant to attend the mandatory confirmation meeting? Have you ever considered moving to Florida?

Thank you for taking your son’s religious instruction seriously.

In the old days we would use lead tape on a club to add tours swing weight. You might experiment with that a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 minutes ago, revkev said:

Wait you’re actually are attending the mandatory confirmation meeting? Have you ever considered moving to Florida?

1 - Yes, my wife attended the one for our daughter and now it's my turn. Plus, she'll be out of town so it's on me. I was still going to play in the scramble, it's a 9am shotgun start so we were figuring I could probably get in at least 14 holes. But then there was a surge of teams signing up, the number was over 30 at last check, and I've played in this event enough to know that the majority of teams are slower than molasses so it wasn't worth paying the entrance fee to MAYBE get in 9 holes before I had to leave.

2 - Nope. 🙂 

Was working at the range with my driver trying to reduce my power fade and straighten out the ball flight a bit. After I was warmed up and swinging with a bit of power, I decided to make a conscious effort to shallow my swing. I didn't do any specific drills, but instead slowed my takeaway, and then visualized the result I wanted while making a natural swing at the ball. (In my head I was thinking about the club tracer videos on a PGA Tour broadcast). Imagine my surprise when I started striping the ball down the range - better looking flight, without the power fade taking the ball way off line to the right!

I think a large part of the improved ball flight that is the shallower swing helped improve my negative AOA, reducing the spin, which is always a struggle for me with the big stick (I've actually managed to back up my driver shots on more than one occasion in wet conditions).

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS