null

I finally understand what pivot/rotation means

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

The last few weeks in my basement I have been chasing a more repeatable putting stroke. Recently it seems I have had good success by focusing on keeping my elbows in - it seems to help prevent me from getting "wristy" and just rotating my shoulders. We'll see how it works out if winter ever ends.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Regarding my pivot/rotation comment, in this swing, I "feel" like my arms are passive during the downswing and I am just rotating hard through the shot. What I mean by passive is that I am not actively trying to speed up the arms or hit with the arms. In actuality, it looks like it is speeding up my swing by feeling like my arms are passive.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Regarding my pivot/rotation comment, in this swing, I "feel" like my arms are passive during the downswing and I am just rotating hard through the shot. What I mean by passive is that I am not actively trying to speed up the arms or hit with the arms. In actuality, it looks like it is speeding up my swing by feeling like my arms are passive.

so sweet man! Its all in the hips, its all in the hips....

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

@CarlHand @Shapotomousi have the same issue opening the lead him/turning. Most recently I found this diagram as a light bulb moment for me. Always have had a closed stance....how can I clear my hip when I start out like this? Have since adjusted and I do not have any videos but it feels much better and hitting a straighter ball. Not sure if you potentially are doing the same but just wanted to toss out what I have seen for my own swing

147CDC84-34D5-4C87-82C7-6556FAE2282F.png

Although, slightly closing your stance is a great way to hit a nice draw while keeps the hands passive

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

6 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

so sweet man! Its all in the hips, its all in the hips....

I was previously focused on an upper body/arm controlled swing in the sense that focusing on the upper body movements would automatically get the lower body to move properly. But then I was running into issues with early extension, hip stall, and many other issues. 

Updated 07/15/2022

22 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Although, slightly closing your stance is a great way to hit a nice draw while keeps the hands passive

There was nothing slight about mine lol 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I was previously focused on an upper body/arm controlled swing in the sense that focusing on the upper body movements would automatically get the lower body to move properly. But then I was running into issues with early extension, hip stall, and many other issues. 

Ya with that video your swing looks very smooth and powerful. Keep it up

My Reviews:

28 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Looking at your swing you still are fighting this and from what I can see it’s because your balance points are off. Because of where your glutes are in relation to your body and your armpits you end up rebalancing yourself in the backswing. As a result you don’t create and space in the downswing and that’s what causes the the right shoulder to dip and the need the stall.

at setup if you use the marking on your fence and use the image of butt on a chair or wall at the top of the backswing instead of pushing the chair back a little you come off it and no ever get back onto in the downswing. The first pic shows your address and the second shows you at the top and where you can see the separation from that mark on the fence and the third is just before impact showing even more separation 

61CE24B7-01E2-40B7-98C0-F666DA29343A.jpeg

31DBF888-D175-43BE-B524-C35A083571AF.jpeg

8EBEF9E5-A2E8-43E9-A6B3-938FE4A32E6D.png

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Looking at your swing you still are fighting this and from what I can see it’s because your balance points are off. Because of where your glutes are in relation to your body and your armpits you end up rebalancing yourself in the backswing. As a result you don’t create and space in the downswing and that’s what causes the the right shoulder to dip and the need the stall.

at setup if you use the marking on your fence and use the image of butt on a chair or wall at the top of the backswing instead of pushing the chair back a little you come off it and no ever get back onto in the downswing. The first pic shows your address and the second shows you at the top and where you can see the separation from that mark on the fence and the third is just before impact showing even more separation 

61CE24B7-01E2-40B7-98C0-F666DA29343A.jpeg

31DBF888-D175-43BE-B524-C35A083571AF.jpeg

8EBEF9E5-A2E8-43E9-A6B3-938FE4A32E6D.png

Thanks for pointing out this issue. Definitely something I continue to fight. 

Updated 07/15/2022

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks for pointing out this issue. Definitely something I continue to fight. 

The one reason is recognize it is the last two coaches I used pointed it out in different ways. The one that’s a GG guy explained it well to me and used my videos to him to show me what what happening. 

I don’t recall which video series or maybe YouTube where Monte talks about the setup and having the somewhat butt under you.  He shows how to tuck the hips/butt. Some people talk about pretending your hips are a bucket of water and you don’t want to dump water at setup so you tuck the hips.  

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The one reason is recognize it is the last two coaches I used pointed it out in different ways. The one that’s a GG guy explained it well to me and used my videos to him to show me what what happening. 

I don’t recall which video series or maybe YouTube where Monte talks about the setup and having the somewhat butt under you.  He shows how to tuck the hips/butt. Some people talk about pretending your hips are a bucket of water and you don’t want to dump water at setup so you tuck the hips.  

Was it GG who focused on setup posture about having the pelvis tucked a bit or something like that? (i may not be describing it exactly right, but something to that effect)?

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This was one of the biggest GG tips that spoke to me.  I used to try to want to set up like Adam Scott, but because I am not a world class athlete (hard to believe, i know), it is a struggle to keep the hips and pelvis back.  The only place for it to go during the down swing was towards the ball (the dreaded goat hump).  Keeping my pelvis and hips under me more at address and having a more relaxed spine allows me to really push back the pelvis and rotate the hips during the downswing like I was never was able to before.

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup

This was one of the biggest GG tips that spoke to me.  I used to try to want to set up like Adam Scott, but because I am not a world class athlete (hard to believe, i know), it is a struggle to keep the hips and pelvis back throughout the swing.  The only place for it to go during the down swing was towards the ball (the dreaded goat hump).  Keeping my pelvis and hips under me more at address and having a more relaxed spine allows me to really push back the pelvis and rotate the hips during the downswing like I was never was able to before.

Thanks, I need to take a closer look at the GG setup posture stuff. 

I think when I am out on the course, my butt starts to go out even more than in my practice videos (feels like I am going in the direction of sitting at address), and then i am assuming the EE gets even worse. I dont have any recent on-course swing videos to prove it but i am pretty sure its happening. 

I have historically suffered from what I call the double EE. Moving towards the ball in the backswing and then moving even more towards the ball in the downswing. Have started to reduce the big EE move in the downswing, but need to get rid of the backswing EE. If posture helps, thats a no brainer for me to focus on

Updated 07/15/2022

6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, I need to take a closer look at the GG setup posture stuff. 

I think when I am out on the course, my butt starts to go out even more than in my practice videos (feels like I am going in the direction of sitting at address), and then i am assuming the EE gets even worse. I dont have any recent on-course swing videos to prove it but i am pretty sure its happening. 

I have historically suffered from what I call the double EE. Moving towards the ball in the backswing and then moving even more towards the ball in the downswing. Have started to reduce the big EE move in the downswing, but need to get rid of the backswing EE. If posture helps, thats a no brainer for me to focus on

I am not a Barstool sports fan, but take a look at the video they put out with Riggs getting a lesson from GG.  They work a ton on his posture and pelvis/hips at address

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Was it GG who focused on setup posture about having the pelvis tucked a bit or something like that? (i may not be describing it exactly right, but something to that effect)?

Definitely a GG focus point. The video jlukes posted does a good job of explaining it and Monte was the only other person I’ve seen refer to a similar setup philosophy. It might be in his drive 4 dough video series as I don’t recall it in the ntc series or efficient swing. 

45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I am not a Barstool sports fan, but take a look at the video they put out with Riggs getting a lesson from GG.  They work a ton on his posture and pelvis/hips at address

This is a good video of the GG method

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

This was one of the biggest GG tips that spoke to me.  I used to try to want to set up like Adam Scott, but because I am not a world class athlete (hard to believe, i know), it is a struggle to keep the hips and pelvis back.  The only place for it to go during the down swing was towards the ball (the dreaded goat hump).  Keeping my pelvis and hips under me more at address and having a more relaxed spine allows me to really push back the pelvis and rotate the hips during the downswing like I was never was able to before.

Its been what I’ve spent most of the winter working on and it makes the backswing easier and more balanced

Thanks @jlukes and @RickyBobby_PR for the info.

I definitely need to watch this more in-depth. My initial takeaway is to apply my normal everyday non-golf posture to the golf setup lol (not exactly, but i have crappy normal posture with the rounded shoulders and so on when i am standing).

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks @jlukes and @RickyBobby_PR for the info.

I definitely need to watch this more in-depth. My initial takeaway is to apply my normal everyday non-golf posture to the golf setup lol (not exactly, but i have crappy normal posture with the rounded shoulders and so on when i am standing).

Yeah bad posture is a good thought. 

2 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Just plunked down the emoji383.pngto join GG online academy: maybe I’ll start a thread chronicling my year...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

that would be so neat. This sounds like an awesome thing to do, although also going to one of Monte's clinics sounds just as good

My Reviews:

3 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Just plunked down the emoji383.pngto join GG online academy: maybe I’ll start a thread chronicling my year...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice. There’s a lot of information in there and he just added a bunch of mini series videos based on what he sees from those who have posted their swing videos and the number of them he sees doing things wrong. The mental section is pretty good too

14 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

that would be so neat. This sounds like an awesome thing to do, although also going to one of Monte's clinics sounds just as good

Monte in-person is awesome. In terms of his interaction/communication style, i feel like i am talking to a different person when talking to him in-person or on Facetime vs. email/message board

Updated 07/15/2022

7 hours ago, Lacassem said:

@CarlHand @Shapotomousi have the same issue opening the lead him/turning. Most recently I found this diagram as a light bulb moment for me. Always have had a closed stance....how can I clear my hip when I start out like this? Have since adjusted and I do not have any videos but it feels much better and hitting a straighter ball. Not sure if you potentially are doing the same but just wanted to toss out what I have seen for my own swing

147CDC84-34D5-4C87-82C7-6556FAE2282F.png

Not my issue, but thanks anyway.  If anything, I tend to be open when I get lazy.  My issue is more years of NOT firing the left side aggressively.  I start to clear my hips on the downswing, but they're still fairly square at impact rather than open to the target.  There's a lot of little faults leading to the cause that I'm working on.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

That's exactly what I've been working on the last couple of days while working with the Divot Board. I noticed with my normal swing, ground contact is all over the place. While trying to rotate keeping the arms passive and feeling like I rotate the chest through before the arms, I'm seeing more consistency. I'm starting small, mostly quarter and half swings with the wedge trying to develop a feel for it. 

Working indoors just to feel what proper rotation feels like. sure feels very different, not in a bad way, just different.

Updated 07/15/2022

Working indoors just to feel what proper rotation feels like. sure feels very different, not in a bad way, just different.

Changes are supposed to feel different otherwise it wouldn’t be a change as you would be doing the same thing as before.

You say “proper”, but proper to whom?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Changes are supposed to feel different otherwise it wouldn’t be a change as you would be doing the same thing as before. emoji23.png

You say “proper”, but proper to whom?

Proper is probably not the right word. "more" is a better word. more rotation on the downswing than what i have been doing.

Updated 07/15/2022

45 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Proper is probably not the right word. "more" is a better word. more rotation on the downswing than what i have been doing.

Keep at 

Just got back from the range where I hit a large bucket, working on a drill from my coach, then hitting driver, and “playing holes” to finish. If I can just get the feeling down from the drill during actual play... Man, I flush the ball, and hit SO straight when done correctly. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX