TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

More work on hip rotation and foot work.  Some time on the range, then off with a friend to play a stress free 9 holes.  Lessons are beginning to pay dividends and I'm finding more success each day out it seems.  Ball striking has been improving nicely.  Next up, I need to address wedge play 75 and in, mainly distance control.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Took my dad to Imaging at the hospital for x-rays on his neck; hopefully next week he will be able to take cervical collar off.  When I got home, a package was waiting for me at the front door!!  

I had ordered a set of Mizuno MP20 HMB with UST Recoil ESX 460 F3 regular graphite shafts the day before MGS published the Most Wanted Player's Distance Irons with the HMB's being the Most Wanted.  They were a used set in excellent condition and about $400 less than new.  I can live with that!!

So I headed to the course and my wife met me there.  Played a 9 hole practice round to get a feel for how they play and how far I hit them compared to my Bridgestone SGI clubs; certainly shorter because of the weaker lofts.  I hit some good shots and some really bad shots!  These clubs are much lighter; it doesn't take much to get my swing out of sync.  It will be awhile before these clubs are prime time, but...

I bogeyed the first two holes; the two easiest holes on the front nine; my wife birdied both of them.  

I parred #3; the #1 handicap hole with a great drive and nice 7i that ended up in the greenside bunker; sandy par.  

The par 3 #4 playing 150y into a strong breeze, I hit the 6i to 8 feet and made the birdie; I would normally have hit my 8i.  

On the par 5 #5 playing 525y into that same breeze, I hit another great drive and decided to hit the 4i to see if I could actually hit a 4i; two 4i shots and I'm 10y in front of the green; get up and down for par.  I par #6, bogey #7 and #8 and par #9 for a round of 40.  I have a difficult time shooting 40 with my other irons in the wind, so there is promise.  More practice needed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I spent a few minutes today thinking about why I don't setup my short wedge shots to use the bounce and what it looks like to setup a wedge shot to expose the bounce. I know about the bounce concept, but for some reason i like to set myself up for failure with the leading edge jammed into the ground at setup on pitch shots. 

Bounce is your friend... use it!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Today was another SuperSpeed day and while doing that, I was working on getting my clubhead outside my hands and trying to lessen my outside to in path. Had some pretty good speeds and felt like I was coming more from the inside.

Got out just a few minutes ago with a club and the GoPro to get video to see if it worked. After looking at the video, it was better. The clubhead was still a hair to the inside of my hands, but it looked like my path was better than the extreme OTT I had Sunday at the range. 

I get my first Moderna shot tomorrow and if that doesn't adversely affect me, I'm going to the range or possibly play. We've been cut down to eight hour days and that should give me time after work to hit some balls. 

Even if the arm hurts, it doesn't affect hitting a ball... at least it didn't with me.  My feeling is that swinging a golf club actually helps lessen the time the arm hurts.  No data to support that, but it sounded good so I did it.  😂

Just now, Kenny B said:

Bounce is your friend... use it!!!

It has taken me a while to really understand what using the bounce means, what the club looks like at setup to expose the bounce, etc. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

It has taken me a while to really understand what using the bounce means, what the club looks like at setup to expose the bounce, etc. 

It really sunk in for me when I watch a Golf Channel video years ago with Paul Azinger.  He made it sound so simple; I tried it and What a difference!!

I frequently refer back to Monte's Use the Bounce videos, and every time I pick up something new I had missed before.  So much good info.  

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It really sunk in for me when I watch a Golf Channel video years ago with Paul Azinger.  He made it sound so simple; I tried it and What a difference!!

I frequently refer back to Monte's Use the Bounce videos, and every time I pick up something new I had missed before.  So much good info.  

Outside of golf, I'm smart and learn and pickup things quickly.

With golf, I feel like my brain is dense and doesn't get something, forgets about something, or just doesn't apply something.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

35 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Those are so good. I may need to look again as I had two pitch/chips Sunday where I flat out 45* shanked right

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Even if the arm hurts, it doesn't affect hitting a ball... at least it didn't with me.  My feeling is that swinging a golf club actually helps lessen the time the arm hurts.  No data to support that, but it sounded good so I did it.  😂

Moving actually probably is good for it. A) keeps your mind off it and B) blood flow since it’s right jnto your muscle that movement Is good for it actually now that ya mention it!

kennyB is a closet genius! Everyone had excuses for golF now

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Outside of golf, I'm smart and learn and pickup things quickly.

With golf, I feel like my brain is dense and doesn't get something, forgets about something, or just doesn't apply something.

Sounds exactly like me!!  The older you get, the worse it is.  When I sleep at night, my mind does a 3-finger salute!!  😂

Yesterday i was pondering about what using the bounce means. Today i hit some pitch shots into my net, setting up in a way to expose the bounce. Was hitting off a mat so it wasn't a perfectly real experience, but i get what using the bounce feels like now. I feel like the bottom of the club sorts of glides along the turf into the ball. 

Made me realize how dangerously i used to live, hitting a pitch shot trying to pick the ball with the leading edge and shaft lean. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Beautiful day, still working on that 155-165 yardage gap and 3 wood. Spent time in the trap as that’s always a weakness then hit a bunch of 7 irons, averaged 146 yards of carry, out came the 6 - 153 average - just NG.

A real positive was 5 wood, averaged 195 carry with that, 198 with the 3 wood but better ball speed and lower launch tells me there might be some roll out there. 3 wood will be in bag Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Practiced my 1.5 hand drill my instructor gave me. It's helping me keep my left arm straight on the follow through rather than getting gator arms.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Had the battle of the 6 irons today after church.

D7 forged that’s currently not cutting in
D7
Ping G30

I’m going to put the G30 in the bag for a trial starting with tomorrow afternoon’s round - we shall see. It won by being the most consistent - still a few yards shy on carry but I should get 160 out of it maybe a tad more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Planned on chipping and pitching practice but rain was coming down so I hit the covered range for my swing drills. Very happy with my ball striking and Im getting some confidence back in my game for the 1st time in a long time. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I hit a large bucket of balls. I try to start with my wedges and work my way up to a driver. I followed that up on the putting green. I watched a video recently of Phil Mickelson doing a putting drill. Place 10 tees 3-4 feet out around the hole and put 10 balls. Goal is to get 100 in a row. I never make 100 but I do 100 puts. Link to video

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

I went to the range today to focus on some things that both helped and hurt me the last round I played. 

I started out with the positive and worked on short chips focusing on keeping my hands and arms dead throughout the swing. I saw some pretty good results in the 20-50 yard range with good flight and distance control. I also hit a few fairway woods as they performed the best they have in a while during my round. Not too bad, not too good with them but definitely an improvement over the consistent topping I've seen recently.

Then I moved on to what hurt me, iron play. If I could use one word to describe my irons recently it would be meh. I'm living dangerously on the hosel getting weak fades and shanks. I focused on trying to hit off the toe today with mixed results. 

My biggest problem is my mental game on approach shots. I've become a mental case any time I have an iron in hand. It was compounded today as the range was filled with golfers preparing for a tournament and ripping balls all around me. I finally moved on to trying to go through my routine and just walking up and hitting without locking up over the ball. I hit the ball a little better, so I need to remember that in the future. 

Chilly and rainy this afternoon so I opted to work on chipping indoors. Mostly trying to get form and direction control dialed in a little better. 

3D22036C-9AE3-4A2F-8CA6-8D57FE392573.jpeg

Edited by ParFore74x

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 4/23/2021 at 5:56 PM, dlow206 said:

Yesterday i was pondering about what using the bounce means. Today i hit some pitch shots into my net, setting up in a way to expose the bounce. Was hitting off a mat so it wasn't a perfectly real experience, but i get what using the bounce feels like now. I feel like the bottom of the club sorts of glides along the turf into the ball. 

Made me realize how dangerously i used to live, hitting a pitch shot trying to pick the ball with the leading edge and shaft lean. 

It's funny, I have never really though about actually using the bounce on pitch shots... I usually just use it for chips around the green.

I read "Your Short Game Solution" by Sieckmann last season and have tried to adapt his teachings into my short game... It's definitely big on presenting the bounce from 40 yards and in. 

On the power shots, he's more about hitting the low flighted heavy spinning drop and stop pitches. I've been struggling with them, so I wonder if I should step back and hit the high, bounce friendly wedge shots in the short term (and work on building the lower flighted shots when I practice)...

On my practice front, I've been doing tons of tempo drills and really trying to create a better "pendulum" swing... I think I went too far in letting the club move itself, and spent some time starting my swing with enough force... it seemed to work well on the practice green, but I've struggled to convert good practice on the practice green into good putting on the course. It's mostly mental and all about confidence... I think a few rounds with decent putting and I'll start lowering my putts per round. 

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

My wife and I had to get outside in order to clean her car for its lease inspection and afterward decided to bring out the Divot Board to work on contact. I read @rbsiedsc post on keeping his back to the ball longer on the downswing and thought I'd try it out. I made pretty decent contact and it seemed to move strike more toward the toe. 20210425_161037-01.jpeg.13ef55dbf5219947e26d874c9b1ca6c1.jpeg20210425_161539-01.jpeg.b49e1c5a0a3195bb4c3a43bbd761d728.jpeg20210425_161715-01.jpeg.b62576177b6c2d07b18f31306852eca8.jpeg

I'm not saying I was super consistent, I did have a few bad ones thrown in. 20210425_161926-01.jpeg.f1c7fdf12139a39a7f9cec6ca3926c7a.jpeg

I had a couple that were worse, but didn't take photos of them. Overall, it made me feel better about my irons. 

Finished off by working on differential drills using a chipping and pitching motion going no higher that 9 o'clock. I was able to hit shots off the toe, heel, and center pretty much on command. I think I'll stick with doing this drill with a shorter swing for a while before going with the full swing. 

Every time I see this thing makes me want to snag one!

looks like a good swing day

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

My wife and I had to get outside in order to clean her car for its lease inspection and afterward decided to bring out the Divot Board to work on contact. I read @rbsiedsc post on keeping his back to the ball longer on the downswing and thought I'd try it out. I made pretty decent contact and it seemed to move strike more toward the toe. 20210425_161037-01.jpeg.13ef55dbf5219947e26d874c9b1ca6c1.jpeg20210425_161539-01.jpeg.b49e1c5a0a3195bb4c3a43bbd761d728.jpeg20210425_161715-01.jpeg.b62576177b6c2d07b18f31306852eca8.jpeg

I'm not saying I was super consistent, I did have a few bad ones thrown in. 20210425_161926-01.jpeg.f1c7fdf12139a39a7f9cec6ca3926c7a.jpeg

I had a couple that were worse, but didn't take photos of them. Overall, it made me feel better about my irons. 

Finished off by working on differential drills using a chipping and pitching motion going no higher that 9 o'clock. I was able to hit shots off the toe, heel, and center pretty much on command. I think I'll stick with doing this drill with a shorter swing for a while before going with the full swing. 

Nice work!!  Building that confidence up is key. Next step is to take the confidence to the course and make it work, I struggle with this part as well. 

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

You and me both. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

34 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

looks like a good swing day

28 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

You and me both. 

I will say it's probably the best practice aid I've seen. I've completely scrapped using my hitting mat with my net because of the valuable feedback it gives when you can't hit off the ground. Plus, you can use it without a ball like I did today and can benefit from the practice. 

After a focussed practice at the range saturday I was having a practice 9 today.

My session was highligting that a half swing with my driver was consistent and getting good distance, a full 'Bryson' swing got a lot of air and was not consistent in direction.

Unfortunately all that went missing today, out of 7 drives 2 got any height.

More practice required.

Callaway XR Driver - Aldila NV Green Shaft 55g Stiff

Taylormade M2 3 Wood

Mizuno T-zoid 2 iron

Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid

5-AW Lynx #BB,

Ping Sigma 2 - Tyne Putter

Started week 5 of SuperSpeed today, speeds were down a bit but I expect hills and valleys in this training. I can't complain, I hit my two longest drives in a long time this past weekend 273 and 263. Throw in a 221 yard 3 wood and a 195 yard 5 wood and that makes me pretty happy. I'm not going to mention I had a tailwind on all these shots. 

4 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Started week 5 of SuperSpeed today, speeds were down a bit but I expect hills and valleys in this training. I can't complain, I hit my two longest drives in a long time this past weekend 273 and 263. Throw in a 221 yard 3 wood and a 195 yard 5 wood and that makes me pretty happy. I'm not going to mention I had a tailwind on all these shots. 

That's good work, regardless of wind. 

Updated 07/15/2022

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

That's good work, regardless of wind. 

I appreciate it! I definitely ain't going to complain because it cost me distance hitting in to it. I wish I had gotten Arccos to work earlier (thank you again @B.Boston for your help) I had a 3 wood go over a green at 215 yards and wish it would have been recorded. 

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I appreciate it! I definitely ain't going to complain because it cost me distance hitting in to it. I wish I had gotten Arccos to work earlier (thank you again @B.Boston for your help) I had a 3 wood go over a green at 215 yards and wish it would have been recorded. 

Any time man! Those are some sweet shots! Like you said hills and valleys with the training, but my on course speeds seemed to stay pretty consistent after the first few weeks. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Sunday night I sucked it up and practiced in the rain.Worked on pitching/chipping  with my 9i, pw, 51, and 54. Trying to get back to getting the ball on the ground quickly which is the way I learned and truly prefer. 

Tonight was the range and really happy with my swing change progression. Swing plane change is coming along nicely at this point. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX