Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

... Yup a very difficult drill because it exposes your swing flaws. Which of course is the purpose of the drill. Most find the sweet spot just under their normal distance when they are still swinging smoothly but not 100% of normal. Hang in there amigo, I have a feeling you will reap the benefits as you continue with the drill. And remember to use one more club than normal when you play!  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup a very difficult drill because it exposes your swing flaws. Which of course is the purpose of the drill. Most find the sweet spot just under their normal distance when they are still swinging smoothly but not 100% of normal. Hang in there amigo, I have a feeling you will reap the benefits as you continue with the drill. And remember to use one more club than normal when you play!  

I think it'll be good for my game, I'm a strong believer repetition helps ingrain better habits. It's actually nice to get out of my comfort zone and I like how it's easier to get an idea of what is going on at the slower speed.

Playing lesson with my swing coach today.  Made some adjustments to posture for putting and driver.  Worked on green reading, decision making and thought process, and some minor tweaks to putting posture, chipping posture, driver ball position and setup.  Finished with a few minutes on driving range with the driver to work out a couple of things.  Afterwards, I joined a few of my buddies during their round and played about 9 holes, working on the things we discussed.  Things I'm still working on -- rotation, balance, better weight shift and finish.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

31 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Playing lesson with my swing coach today.  Made some adjustments to posture for putting and driver.  Worked on green reading, decision making and thought process, and some minor tweaks to putting posture, chipping posture, driver ball position and setup.  Finished with a few minutes on driving range with the driver to work out a couple of things.  Afterwards, I joined a few of my buddies during their round and played about 9 holes, working on the things we discussed.  Things I'm still working on -- rotation, balance, better weight shift and finish.

I could use the putting alignment right now.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I took last week off from SuperSpeed training due to a bit of soreness in my left foot caused by what I believe is the non dominant swings. I started back up today swinging only on my dominant side, which isn't ideal but is better than nothing. Still saw some pretty good speeds and I'm right there at when the jump in speed takes place. Can't wait to retest in a couple of weeks!

Range day today. Irons were ok. Tried variable practice with grip and shaping. Realized if I come through great my face is a little open. 

also did the Davis love drill. Contact all over is full speed. Center contact is 150 hits. 

3DED4AD5-F414-4EAC-9526-2F1A791231B3.jpeg

0AA22F23-32B7-414B-96DC-A5636801B9ED.jpeg

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I went outside on lunch today and did a SuperSpeed session.... man did I feel slow today.

I barely sniffed in the mid-120's on the light stick.  But I feel like I got some decent speeds with the middle and heavy stick.  It's been far too long since I've done a full session.  I don't think I was feeling the light head all that well today which was messing up my timing.  

I want to get to the range at some point this week/weekend.  Maybe get out for 9 too, but I needed to get some speed training in! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I’ve been doing a fair amount of home office putting these last couple weeks.

Still had 31 putts this past weekend BUT I had only ONE putt that ended more than a foot away from the cup and that was on a 60 footer (ended up 4 feet short). I missed 8 putts that were 16’ or closer. No three putts. I’m looking forward to making even 3 of those 8 in the near future and 6 of them in the distant future! Would have brought my round down to 75 (five over) or 72 (two over). We will get there! 

Today I worked on a few things:

1. Putting Grip - I never have had a grip that I feel comfortable with. I’ve tried traditional, left hand low, split hands, finger down, lots of overlap... so many things. Today I felt pretty good! Settled on traditional with two fingers overlapping from my left hand onto my right. I also brought my right index finger down the shaft a little bit. Not pointing down the side, but more “dangling”. I felt like I could grip with a light pressure this way. 

2. Putting Speed. I subscribe to DECADE and one of the drills there is around speed. I didn’t have a lot of room in my office while I was on calls, so I practiced a lot of 5’ putts making sure I rolled the ball exactly between 5’ and 6’. I then moved back to 6’ and 7’ (the furthest I could go with some stuff we have on the floor) still stopping the ball within 12” of two quarters on the floor. 

Hoping it pays off this weekend.

Headed to the range on Friday to a Toptracer range as I want to work on getting my driver launch angle more consistent. Traditionally I’ve been around 1.4° but that can go as low as -2° and as high as 4.5°. I end up obviously with VERY different results if I put that different of a swing on it. 

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

3 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

I missed 8 putts that were 16’ or closer. No three putts. I’m looking forward to making even 3 of those 8 in the near future and 6 of them in the distant future!

Lots of great work on the putting,  but I think you need to really look at putting expectations.   You didn't specify the distances of those 8 putts,  but anything outside of 8 feet is the 50/50 distance.   If those putts were all inside of 8 feet,  I wouldn't question your 6 of 8 desire. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

28 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Lots of great work on the putting,  but I think you need to really look at putting expectations.   You didn't specify the distances of those 8 putts,  but anything outside of 8 feet is the 50/50 distance.   If those putts were all inside of 8 feet,  I wouldn't question your 6 of 8 desire. 

My strokes Gaines putting on those 8 putts was -3.54. So yeah, a couple of them were REALLY bad. Again, I’m shooting for making 6. Realistically (as I noted) making 3 I’m happy with. Then the SGP on those at least looks a lot better. 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

20 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

My strokes Gaines putting on those 8 putts was -3.54. So yeah, a couple of them were REALLY bad. Again, I’m shooting for making 6. Realistically (as I noted) making 3 I’m happy with. Then the SGP on those at least looks a lot better. 🙂

Thats why saying something like inside 16 feet is really a bad way of putting things.   It is like when the TV announcers say that a player made X amount of putts inside of 12 feet.   They probably made 1 12 footer and all the rest were inside of 3 feet.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had a great day at the range today. Practice some drills I got from my coach which is helping to get rid of my slice and actually starting to get a slight draw. The best part was after the driving range I spent 2 hours practicing 20-30 yeard chip. The local course I go to was slow and only one other person was on the chipping/putting green while I was there. It helps in confidence if you don't ahve to worry about getting in someones way or shanking a ball while someone else is practicing. 

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

16 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I went outside on lunch today and did a SuperSpeed session.... man did I feel slow today.

I barely sniffed in the mid-120's on the light stick.  But I feel like I got some decent speeds with the middle and heavy stick.  It's been far too long since I've done a full session.  I don't think I was feeling the light head all that well today which was messing up my timing.  

I want to get to the range at some point this week/weekend.  Maybe get out for 9 too, but I needed to get some speed training in! 

Had a very similar session today after a couple weeks off due to some crazy work and the kids being home. Felt slow for sure. Got the light and medium up to decent speeds but the heavy was down 5 mph from the last week I did it. Part of it is morning but part of it is the time away. It's always that heavy stick that takes the longest to come back after a break. Still good to get back to it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

55 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Had a very similar session today after a couple weeks off due to some crazy work and the kids being home. Felt slow for sure. Got the light and medium up to decent speeds but the heavy was down 5 mph from the last week I did it. Part of it is morning but part of it is the time away. It's always that heavy stick that takes the longest to come back after a break. Still good to get back to it.

Oh yeah the red one can be a b**ch sometimes. Haha. There are days in out of sequence and can struggle to get it over 100mph. Then other days it’s been as fast as my blue. 

looking forward to tomorrow’s workout being better. Haha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Oh yeah the red one can be a b**ch sometimes. Haha. There are days in out of sequence and can struggle to get it over 100mph. Then other days it’s been as fast as my blue. 

looking forward to tomorrow’s workout being better. Haha

Yes so true when I am off with that one I feel as slow as a turtle but if I get it right yes its only a few MPH behind the blue. Yes there is always another workout and it is the consistency that will help in the long run.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Every day... probably 30-40 swings back and forth.... around 50-60 yards. Need to get between the 2 flags. Have another mat between them for the shot back.
Working on swing path and plane.

Ignore the ugly lawn; new house and it's a WIP.

practice_station2.jpg.2118be5ba4bf81f5894f1b462ff86138.jpg

Nice setup! I have room in my yard for 50-60 yard wedge practice as well - it's made a huge difference for me over the past year.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS