Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

I was going through my videos of yesterday's range session, and I was really on my toes. My pro came out and helped me with my move off the ball, and was noticing me holding onto the face instead of releasing the clubhead. I know no one said swing changes, and breaking habits were easy, but I was really close to just throwing in the towel. Today I am going to work on half swings and try to feel a punch shot to add some compression to my irons. Baby steps 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

Had a really busy week and had to put off going to the range until Late afternoon Friday.  I felt pretty inspired  after watching the Ryder cup all day while I worked.  Unfortunately, today was one of those days where I was just off.  My plan was to hit the first half of a large bucket focusing on distance and accuracy then use the second half to work on the my pitch and chip swing.  I'm retooling my pitch and chip method using Stan Utley's book (It's more handsy than I'm used to) but I can see the advantage already.

Right from the get go everything felt off.  After about 10 shots trying to find my swing I realized I needed to reset and I switched to some nice easy pitches.  That went okay but I was still off so I tried another reset by pretending to play some golf holes.  That too was a grind but it got me into a slightly better rhythm and I 'played' 9 holes that way.    I finished out the bucket chipping and pitching which was also still a grind.

Moving on to the chipping green.  I'm going to need more practice with this but I think the swing that I'm learning from Stan utley's book and watching some youtube videos of him is going to be very good for me in the long run.  I'm still working, through some flubs and skulls, but the stuff that does get to the green ends up pretty tight.  Looking forward to seeing how it works in play.

Overall it wasn't a particularly good session but I'm proud of myself for not trying to fix my swing when I was just having an off day.  It felt just like a grindy round where your swing is a little off and you just have to grind out a result.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Spent about an hour in the backyard working on some short chipping.  Took a handful of balls and chipped them towards a tree stump trying to get them as close as possible.  Going back the other way, there is a line extending from the house where some cable was buried a few months back with about twenty feet or so past that to the fence.  I tried to chip to that line and get it to stop before the fence.  

My chipping game is terrible.  I was mostly trying to get more of a feel for how I was setting up and swinging the club.  I pull a lot of my chips to the left (when I don't flub them completely) and I think I'm a little more cognizant as to why.  Baby steps.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I was at the range for an hour practice session. Started by working my swing back into form since I haven’t been playing much after the birth of my son, target practice to all the locations, then I worked some 40-50 yard feel type wedge shots, I like to finish with a simulated round. I know the course pretty well so I simulate one of the 9 holes. It’s a nice way to get some practice in and wind down the session without feeling like you didn’t hit all your shots. Hardest part is getting the feel for my tempo back. I really have a slow tempo and not hitting consistently has made me want to jump at the ball and ramp up to get speed and distance 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'm in full try hard mode so bear with me.  I'm finding that writing down what I practiced has been very helpful.  

Finished reading through the Stan Utley "Art of the short game" and went out for an hour this morning to work exclusively on pitching, chipping, and sand shots.  Not that I'm surprised that a PGA pro and former PGA winner would have good advice, but man did it feel instantaneously game changing.  I spent about 10-15 minutes hitting some chips the way that I normally do just to get a baseline for the difference.   Then I spent about 15 minutes running through all the prep drills he has in the book about balance, stance, club release, and grip. 

After that I started taking shots....  No joke, it was instantaneously better -- night and day difference.  Obviously there were some struggles. It's very different than what I was doing.  That said, even while adjusting to a completely different way of doing things, it was just flat out better.  Easier to repeat right off the bat, more consistent distance wise, and much easier to control.  I spent about 30 more minutes working on chips and pitches from various positions and lies between 5-15 yards off the chipping green then I hopped into the bunker to practice some sand shots. 

The bunker method he teaches is also is game changing.  The narrow,  handsy swing he teaches feels very controlled and I find myself being able to swing at a comfortable speed.  I'm not exactly throwing darts yet, but they're all coming out onto the green and landing softly.  Plus and I'm finally getting that satisfying thwop sound.

I know its not a silver bullet, but I feel very optimistic about my short game for the first time in a while and I might actually be able to build it to a comfortable enough point that I'll trust it.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

10 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I'm in full try hard mode so bear with me.  I'm finding that writing down what I practiced has been very helpful.  

Finished reading through the Stan Utley "Art of the short game" and went out for an hour this morning to work exclusively on pitching, chipping, and sand shots.  Not that I'm surprised that a PGA pro and former PGA winner would have good advice, but man did it feel instantaneously game changing.  I spent about 10-15 minutes hitting some chips the way that I normally do just to get a baseline for the difference.   Then I spent about 15 minutes running through all the prep drills he has in the book about balance, stance, club release, and grip. 

After that I started taking shots....  No joke, it was instantaneously better -- night and day difference.  Obviously there were some struggles. It's very different than what I was doing.  That said, even while adjusting to a completely different way of doing things, it was just flat out better.  Easier to repeat right off the bat, more consistent distance wise, and much easier to control.  I spent about 30 more minutes working on chips and pitches from various positions and lies between 5-15 yards off the chipping green then I hopped into the bunker to practice some sand shots. 

The bunker method he teaches is also is game changing.  The narrow,  handsy swing he teaches feels very controlled and I find myself being able to swing at a comfortable speed.  I'm not exactly throwing darts yet, but they're all coming out onto the green and landing softly.  Plus and I'm finally getting that satisfying thwop sound.

I know its not a silver bullet, but I feel very optimistic about my short game for the first time in a while and I might actually be able to build it to a comfortable enough point that I'll trust it.  

Making me want to go back and read my art of the short game book. Sounds like it is working fo you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 9/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, RollingGreens said:

Hardest part is getting the feel for my tempo back. I really have a slow tempo and not hitting consistently has made me want to jump at the ball and ramp up to get speed and distance

+1 on that. I'm very much a tempo player as well ... and like you, I tend to rush my downswing, and in consequence of that, lift my left shoulder and turn my head toward the target just prior to contact with the ball. 

A golf buddy suggested to me of having the ever so slightest pause at the top of my backswing, like Spieth somewhat does, and then initiate my downswing ... and it really does help and work for me. I'll mentally have to focus on that for about 5 to 10 swings, but then it becomes an ingrained tempo for the rest of the range session or round. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Making me want to go back and read my art of the short game book. Sounds like it is working for you.  

I think what's making it work so well is that I literally didn't know some of the foundational stuff he's describing.  I'm fully self taught at this point, and while that's been good for me having developed a reasonable natural swing for myself, it would have been a considerably less painful journey if I'd understand a couple fundamentals earlier.  There's one drill that he uses to explain what the club release motion feels like where you hold the club palm down with your trail hand and your elbow at your side then you rotate it clockwise to palm up and let the weight of the club release like you're trying to hammer a nail with the heel of the club.  I did that drill for the first time and thought, 'wow', that's exactly what it feels like when my swing feels right.  It's just one subtle little part of the swing that I could feel when things were going right, but had no idea how to recreate when things felt wrong.  I think that little drill is going to help me with all of my clubs.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Really focused on the driver towards the end of my range sess today. What was once a great asset in the bag with consistent distance and control (had a nice run of rounds in the 80s last fall), has been by far my biggest weakness for quite some time. 

Paid particular attention to a low and slow take away, a stronger grip, a wider swing, feeling like my left arm was constantly tucked into my left armpit throughout the swing, and with a smoother tempo on the downswing … man, what a difference. 

While I wasn’t getting the distance I usually get, but the baby fade ball flight was there and it was in the fairway! I’ll take it! 🙌🏼 

40E129CA-0F52-4DB3-A073-3A39FE82005C.jpeg

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Went back to some planemate work, this time with the red band as the green band I can't feel much resistance. I only am using the PM for feels and resistance while utilizing NTC principles, ala @Kenny B. Feels really good and I ache as I am working muscles I haven't in a long time. my left hand actually has been trembling as i type this. For offseason work, I hope this helps me with my swing building. @goaliewales14 is also an inspiration to me on my quest. Hopefully i can get to the range soon and see how my progress is going. I haven't played since labor day and have only gone to the range one time since.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Haven't played into almost two weeks, and life has kind of got in the way so haven't had much to add around the forums.

Weather has been very nice this week so I've at least been able to continue range work at lunch. This week has been kind of a struggle as I'm starting to overdo the changes from my last lesson. In an effort to get "more left" on the downswing I had started to let my shoulders open too much at address. I also had started to get to steep on the backswing by picking the club up and getting disconnected from my turn. That combo led to the dreaded shanks/early extension a few sessions ago and pretty much ruined my confidence for a few days.

Had a much better session today focusing on the feeling of my right arm staying extended in the backswing for as long as possible. Led to a much better and fuller turn. Combined with making sure my shoulders were square at address, I hit a bunch of better balls today. I've been focusing on hitting the 5 iron lately as it's the longest off the deck iron I carry and had great results.

Finished off my session toying with dropping my right foot back a bit for chips and pitches. Seemed to really help me with my consistency. Might have to play around with that more here heading into the off season. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On the range trying to figure out ball position .

In the past it was directly in line with left shoulder , developed a nasty left shoulder injury  and had to play ball with  respect to the middle of the stance. And surprising worked out better for my irons 

Now feeling shoulder is healed . I still like the ball positioned  for  my woods  directly at left upper shoulder at the angle between my neck and left shoulder I feel I can generate faster swing speed and it fits  the swing plane in Hogan's teachings in my minds eye

8 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Went back to some planemate work, this time with the red band as the green band I can't feel much resistance. I only am using the PM for feels and resistance while utilizing NTC principles, ala @Kenny B. Feels really good and I ache as I am working muscles I haven't in a long time. my left hand actually has been trembling as i type this. For offseason work, I hope this helps me with my swing building. @goaliewales14 is also an inspiration to me on my quest. Hopefully i can get to the range soon and see how my progress is going. I haven't played since labor day and have only gone to the range one time since.

I appreciate that!!!  I'm glad my progress has made an impact!  You definitely got this!  Just take it a bit at a time.  Make sure your parallel are good first and just keep building! 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Hit the range was trying a new grip position worked pretty good just need to get used to it .. also was just trying to get the ball within 5 yards of the target .. had some good ones but still playing a big fade 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Rolling some putts indoors with my newest toy = Edel 4.0. The round grip is interesting .. gonna take a little getting used to .. but I think it's going to help me start the ball online better (FYI David Edel says for some people a grip with a flat section on top .. like I've been using for a long time .. may influence their hands to turn left at impact .. which tend to be a lot of my misses...).

Also been practicing the Slow Motion Drill (Harvey Penick) and that is definitely helping me understand more things about better body movements and sequencing in my swing!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hit a bucket at the range today.  I played terribly last Sunday and I've got a work scramble tomorrow that I've been talking too much trash about, lol.  I have a tendency to not always settle in very well on some shots.  I'm not sure what exactly to do yet, but I need to develop a pre-shot routine to settle myself better.

After the bucket the son and I went to the putting green for a bit.  We played a couple rounds of Horse which was a little more fun than we expected and is something we need to incorporate far more often.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Watched old Ben Crenshaw instruction video about how “swing “ the putter   Tried it with and older odessay 9 putter and worked out okay   Very different than my rocking shoulders method   But very comfortable from any long distance.   Feels like I’m just swinging my arms with minimal body sway

Tried different putters and grips and tried to figure out if there any fundamentals. For the short distance putts lifting the putter/hover seems to work no matter what putter.  Other than that anything goes

6 minutes ago, JerryB said:

After the bucket the son and I went to the putting green for a bit.  We played a couple rounds of Horse which was a little more fun than we expected and is something we need to incorporate far more often.

... You can do the same for short game practice with chips and pitches. Much more fun and engaging than just practicing those shots on your own. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 minutes ago, Haro said:

Watched old Ben Crenshaw instruction video about how “swing “ the putter   Tried it with and older odessay 9 putter and worked out okay   Very different than my rocking shoulders method   But very comfortable from any long distance.   Feels like I’m just swinging my arms with minimal body sway

... I used Ben as a model when I first started playing. If you are a feel player, there really isn't a better stroke. It can be a little problematic on putts from 2-3 feet as it is easy to decelerate on fast greens or downhill putts. Over time I developed a shorter backswing with a more aggressive forward stroke for those short putts. But again if you putt by feel, mid and long range putts will rarely result in a 3 putt. 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You can do the same for short game practice with chips and pitches. Much more fun and engaging than just practicing those shots on your own. 

Its only fun when I can beat him!  I'm the better putter, but hes a far better chipper. 

I'd like to practice more in my backyard, but the ground is very uneven, with several tree roots and stuff.  Is trying to chip into buckets still useful?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I used Ben as a model when I first started playing. If you are a feel player, there really isn't a better stroke. It can be a little problematic on putts from 2-3 feet as it is easy to decelerate on fast greens or downhill putts. Over time I developed a shorter backswing with a more aggressive forward stroke for those short putts. But again if you putt by feel, mid and long range putts will rarely result in a 3 putt. 

I was trying split grip, crack hand, claw and had several putters with broomstick and locked arm height and tried to feel comfortable with one method/putter.  After two hours went to conventional length with a blade type putter and was immediately felt very comfortable just “swinging” the putter with my arms rather than rocking the shoulders

Not sure why this type of putting lost popularity 

1 minute ago, JerryB said:

I'd like to practice more in my backyard, but the ground is very uneven, with several tree roots and stuff.  Is trying to chip into buckets still useful?

... If you are working on technique, any practice is useful. But to understand how your ball reacts on the green with downhill, uphill, level, fast, slow as well as how much it checks or releases, practicing on a green is much more beneficial. Even if your son beats you, which is a great incentive to get better! 🤪

4 minutes ago, Haro said:

Not sure why this type of putting lost popularity 

... Preaching to the choir. It is by far the most reliable and easiest stroke to repeat. The Straight Back Straight Through method certainly helped move away from the pendulum motion and for those that struggle with putting, are more technical in their approach or have some form of the yips, rocking the shoulders is a good method. Otoh a true pendulum swinging gate stroke is just so very repeatable and I have never seen anyone that simply swings the putter have poor distance control. You do need plenty of toe hang and someone swinging the club with a face balanced putter is gonna have a difficult time without something heel shafted or at least closer to the heel. Anything from an 8802 style to a Newport 2.5 style will work. 

my wedge game has been AWFUL lately. lots of chunks and scooping balls that land well short from 80-120 yards lately. 

hit a few buckets of wedges today aimed at the 100yd flag. i usually play that shot with a 3/4 swing 56*. here are a few swings.

second one is a touch fat but still flew the number. if anyone sees anything worth noting here, i’m all ears. 

shoutout to my wife for the camera work and my son for the commentary 😂

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

51 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

my wedge game has been AWFUL lately. lots of chunks and scooping balls that land well short from 80-120 yards lately. 

hit a few buckets of wedges today aimed at the 100yd flag. i usually play that shot with a 3/4 swing 56*. here are a few swings.

second one is a touch fat but still flew the number. if anyone sees anything worth noting here, i’m all ears. 

shoutout to my wife for the camera work and my son for the commentary 😂

IMG_8821.MOV 26.84 MB · 0 downloads

Your son seemed impressed!!! 😃 I translated and I think he was saying he prefers to see more weight on the front foot and less weight shift from front to back for a 3/4 swing like that.  Keeps your swing shorter and helps make sure you accelerate through the ball. 

I tend to agree with him....If my swing gets long on those type shots I decelerate and get scoopy or chunky.

or....I could be off on that translation and he could have been asking to stop for ice cream on the way home....

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

more weight on the front foot and less weight shift from front to back for a 3/4 swing like that.

interesting…so stay 60/40 front? or even more. 

i always thought to approach a 3/4 swing the same as a full swing, and just kind of chop a little off each end of it. 

you’re saying staying on my front foot more will help me get through the ball and eliminate some of the fat shots?

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

11 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

interesting…so stay 60/40 front? or even more. 

i always thought to approach a 3/4 swing the same as a full swing, and just kind of chop a little off each end of it. 

you’re saying staying on my front foot more will help me get through the ball and eliminate some of the fat shots?

Yes...60 / 40 front foot and on backswing i don't shift any more than 50 /50 before going back to at least 60 / 40.  I play with somebody (swmbo) that does a full swing weight shift on those shots even though the backswing is abbreviated and never gets weight off the back foot because of decelerating, drops the back shoulder and it's chunk city.  

The other thing I evolved into for those 3/4 swings was to emphasize a turn to get the swing length rather than an arm lift and/or wrist set to get the club to a 3/4 position.  In my case it made the bottom of my swing and ground contact location very repeatable.  Although I think how successful you are with that turn method really depends on the bounce grind you have on the wedge of choice.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Yes...60 / 40 front foot and on backswing i don't shift any more than 50 /50 before going back to at least 60 / 40.

thanks! i’ll give this a shot. 

the number of wedges i’ve chunked from 100 out IN THE FAIRWAY over the last few months is enough to keep me up at night