TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Still working on making bigger turns backswing and through swing.  Today I could hit some beautiful driver shots, but yesterday on the course the timing just wasn't there yet... had to go back to my shorter swing to hit decent drives.  It's going to take more time to engrain the longer swing... sure wish my hitting bay was complete!!  😄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Still working on making bigger turns backswing and through swing.  Today I could hit some beautiful driver shots, but yesterday on the course the timing just wasn't there yet... had to go back to my shorter swing to hit decent drives.  It's going to take more time to engrain the longer swing... sure wish my hitting bay was complete!!  😄

About a year ago I was watching a tournament and noticing how far back and high their hands traveled with the back swing, so then I mimicked my swing in front of a mirror.  I was only getting my hands slightly above shoulder height.  After thinking about it, I realized the hand height was actually a function of how far one rotates because the path of the hands are ascending. But the key is to stay connected.

So I went to the range, and just tried forcing more rotation, thinking my shots would become more erratic.  But they didn’t, and they did go farther.  The problem was that it was forced.  So I worked on increasing flexibility and do various yoga positions.  I’ve always have done other stretches because of some significant lower back issues.  But now before I go to the range or play, I do 15-20 min of these other stretches before leaving the house and it helps tremendously.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

Got the puttout today while at work. We have an event all weekend so i can't really leave, but means i work for a hour have 2 hours off and repeat from 6am-21:00... Long day but lots of practice!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hit clubs for first time in 20 days. Irons ok. Driver surprisingly good. Low strikes were trying to do foot stomps.
7i

F5E8CDD9-1394-40C8-8440-D7E1607EFAC3.jpeg.63f91449241aae8931b2ee4453022099.jpeg
8i

FB3EE1B5-721E-44DA-8BDB-C21C8F36D518.jpeg.87941646130cade112bbfcaf92b5604f.jpeg
6i

B74EC66B-2AD2-4B2F-8808-DE30C0A1ABE5.jpeg.7bd2a9b714e1dd17ac766f83d6dcf859.jpegD7B6EF8A-0816-4F26-8E42-BAB3A52557A8.jpeg.55ffb1464b65f131dd9d8c5bc7a59aa5.jpegWas looking at face contact for 6,7,8 in prep for my moi matching at end of the month. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I went to the range today to see how my at home practice was coming along. It's slowly getting there, I only hit a couple of the shanks that have been plaguing me lately. I was actually out of the toe more today, but I was working on an avoidance drill where I place a tee outside my ball and hit. So I think it worked fairly well. 

20221008_144104-01.jpeg.f78cb8204968815050bc0aae1d09d4b0.jpeg

I was experiencing a bit of a push today, lots of balls going straight right and also noticed a tendency to still hit a little behind the ball. 

My driver was still biased toward the heel. Most were playable, even the pop up I hit off the crown. 

20221008_144918-01.jpeg.54ade3e0504bee66a5874764b0ffd25e.jpeg

After leaving the range I spent some time on the chipping and putting greens. It wasn't perfect but I'm seeing improvement after about a week and a half swinging in the yard and net. 

Walked Buena Vista alone today and quickly ran into three foursomes that were all together as a big family outing.  So rather than just playing, I threw down multiple balls and tried things as I waited.  He are some things I learned/observations:

Forget about crosswinds.  Club up or down accordingly if it's at my back or in my face but don't aim any differently on a crosswind.  Breezy today but if I expected any ball movement help from the wind, it wasn't there.  Aiming left or right just meant I missed that much more.  Iron strikes were good today.

Along those lines, I need more work on my aim and alignment.  I can dial in at the range, but for some reason I can't transfer that to the course very well.  It's an especially big issue with my wood and hybrid.

I get a lot of rollout on my shots and rarely get any bite no matter how much I try.  Knowing this, I have more success if I target the front of the green rather than the back.  I also need to try avoid short-siding myself as much as possible.

Overall a pretty productive day.  Was different but felt good to be on the course and not worried about score.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

28 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Forget about crosswinds.  Club up or down accordingly if it's at my back or in my face but don't aim any differently on a crosswind.  Breezy today but if I expected any ball movement help from the wind, it wasn't there.  Aiming left or right just meant I missed that much more.  Iron strikes were good today.

Someone once said that a well-struck ball is not affected by the wind.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

... Rory said growing up in the Irish winds he concentrated on perfect contact and not flighting the ball. He said a well struck shot aren't effected by the wind very much and he just used more club. Although he did say he either rode or held up the ball in a side wind. I find myself playing wind and the ball just doesn't move as much as I think when swinging well. But when hitting it not so solidly the wind seems to have a much bigger effect on the flight. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Rory said growing up in the Irish winds he concentrated on perfect contact and not flighting the ball. He said a well struck shot aren't effected by the wind very much and he just used more club. Although he did say he either rode or held up the ball in a side wind. I find myself playing wind and the ball just doesn't move as much as I think when swinging well. But when hitting it not so solidly the wind seems to have a much bigger effect on the flight. 

Yep!  Sounds about right.

That someone was me 🤣 on a 9-hole course when I was a 20+ 'cap and playing with a bunch of hacks that played worse than I did back when Rory was about 5 years old!!

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think the same person said trees are 90% air. 

... Countered by Gary McCord that replied "So is a screen door". 😝

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Countered by Gary McCord that replied "So is a screen door". 😝

Perfect!

weird workday today.  We had a big community outreach event at church this morning that I had to make an appearance at.  I had a haircut at 1:30 and needed to be on campus by 330 to get ready for the evening service.  That gave me some time to hit the practice green at the club.  It's been warm and dry, unseasonably and mercifully dry since Ian.  Oh my was the practice green frisky.  The green actually crunched under your feet.  Golf should be fun tomorrow!  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good couple days of practice.  I posted my swing the other day and @RickyBobby_PRpointed out a couple things to work on. 

I set to work on those which lead me to my biggest facepalm moment of the day.   I've recognized that I was not opening my chest to the target at impact and set about finding some drills that could help me.  I found a few and that looked like they might help and started running through them.  They were okay, but just didn't help me find a feel.  I tried the last one, did it once, and stood up to shake my head.  The feel it showed me was exactly the same feel my instructor had been trying to show me, just in isolation.  🤦‍♂️ literally day 1 he was trying to show me this.  It just happened to be part of a drill that encouraged encompassed shallowing and impact so I missed it.  I immediately texted him to laugh that I finally understood the first drill he taught me.  Still work to do, but I have direction again.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Well another good session highlighted by my new purchase.  Still working on rotating my chest open.  It's going to take some doing.  I think retraining my timing and release is going to be the toughest part.  I'm in the right position with most of my body, but I'm too early with some of it and a little late with other parts.  Considering that this is all taking place in literal milliseconds I think this is going to take some time to get right.... probably most of 2023 considering adding the little shallowing hitch took me most of 2022.  The one thing that was suggested before that has been immediately beneficial was getting a real hip turn by sliding my trail hip back.  It's had immediate results, so in the mean time while I'm working on the next adjustment I'm in a good place to play reasonable golf.

The highlight of the day though was the impulse purchase I made last Monday.  PXG 0211 w/ Tensei Raw Blue 75.  I'm very happy with the choice I made and I think it's going to have very positive results on my game.  I only hit about 20 balls with it today, but from the start I found the head to be forgiving, with good feedback, and a decent if not super hot face.  The shaft was borderline perfect, stable, easy to load, and very consistent in delivering the near center of face to the ball.  (My mediocre driver swing not withstanding.)  It's obviously early, and I did find that the Tensei didn't respond well to overly aggressive transitions and breakdowns in tempo, but I didn't have any crazy spinny misses.  Never sliced one off to space or pull hooked one off the map.  Time will tell but I feel like this is certainly going to help save maybe 1 or two strokes a round for me.  (whether or not I give them away in other parts of my game is another matter).  

Second ever swing with it.

Swings 5-10 after forgetting to press play for 3&4.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

54 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I'm in the right position with most of my body

I’m going to disagree. You get out of position very early in the swing. You are doing a better job of getting the right hip back but you are getting too much right leg extension. You don’t shift any pressure into right side to shaft the swing and none into the left side to shaft transition. You hands and arm get disconnected early in the swing(first pic)

Your right arm moves back instead of getting some external rotation (second and third pics). This happens because the upper body doesn’t really turn much. As mentioned in earlier posts this is somewhat common with bigger guys.

All of this leads to a steep transition and your right side bending to shallow, when what should happen is your right leg gaining flexion and getting some bend at the waist. Pics 4 and 5. It also leads to you getting stuck and the face open instead of being more pointed towards the ground.

As a result your body stalls to let arms catch up and have to early extend and throw the arms at the ball and roll the hands to avoid the ball going right. Pics 6 and 7

Some things to work on. Put the butt of the club in your sternum. And rotate the chest away from the target and keep the club connected. This trains the triangle that needs to be maintained. Then do it with the club in a normal swing. This will work your pivot. 

another good drill is club across the chest turn the chest while standing up then add left side bend. From there feel the left side gets lower and you add some hip bend and right knee bend. From here there is some right send been and turn so the right shoulder the down and towards the ball

5FDA3780-9335-498E-A55E-16245823B070.jpeg

AEA16792-1E96-4398-AA57-ABCF0B9647F3.jpeg

72B86D2E-0051-4FE1-AE64-E39FC8628147.jpeg

BEE873E4-E226-406F-9436-FB7F1A6AD674.jpeg

13E21D0E-BCC2-41B2-BA5C-70C324666537.jpeg

AAD5B4E4-C34F-471B-AF0B-BF04C0F3375D.jpeg

2EF614F2-984B-4CBE-9EA3-42FAEB9A27FF.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

FDD8DC9E-302A-42DE-8348-269A664504B3.jpeg.ece35e5d9cd3d4a63b0f3bad859cc866.jpeg

Milestone moment!!! I have been working on getting to this position at the top for so long. I started with very little chest turn and low and inside takeaway. Now I have it more on plane with higher hands and my back to target. I still have a lot more work to be able to do it on repeat. I still am working on the timing and the downswing, but if I can keep doing this the downswing will come. Irons and wedges were great today, but this is what I am so proud to share. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

53 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m going to disagree. You get out of position very early in the swing. You are doing a better job of getting the right hip back but you are getting too much right leg extension. You don’t shift any pressure into right side to shaft the swing and none into the left side to shaft transition. You hands and arm get disconnected early in the swing(first pic)

Your right arm moves back instead of getting some external rotation (second and third pics). This happens because the upper body doesn’t really turn much. As mentioned in earlier posts this is somewhat common with bigger guys.

All of this leads to a steep transition and your right side bending to shallow, when what should happen is your right leg gaining flexion and getting some bend at the waist. Pics 4 and 5. It also leads to you getting stuck and the face open instead of being more pointed towards the ground.

As a result your body stalls to let arms catch up and have to early extend and throw the arms at the ball and roll the hands to avoid the ball going right. Pics 6 and 7

Some things to work on. Put the butt of the club in your sternum. And rotate the chest away from the target and keep the club connected. This trains the triangle that needs to be maintained. Then do it with the club in a normal swing. This will work your pivot. 

another good drill is club across the chest turn the chest while standing up then add left side bend. From there feel the left side gets lower and you add some hip bend and right knee bend. From here there is some right send been and turn so the right shoulder the down and towards the ball

Thank you for taking the time to break this down.  Very much appreciated.  👍 Always work to do.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

2 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

FDD8DC9E-302A-42DE-8348-269A664504B3.jpeg.ece35e5d9cd3d4a63b0f3bad859cc866.jpeg

Milestone moment!!! I have been working on getting to this position at the top for so long. I started with very little chest turn and low and inside takeaway. Now I have it more on plane with higher hands and my back to target. I still have a lot more work to be able to do it on repeat. I still am working on the timing and the downswing, but if I can keep doing this the downswing will come. Irons and wedges were great today, but this is what I am so proud to share. 

Getting that much turn and the hands in that high position looks really impressive!

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

7 hours ago, GaryF said:

Getting that much turn and the hands in that high position looks really impressive!

Thank you, it’s been a lot of work. My back is feeling it today lol

Another Tuesday with a 1 hour meeting I only have to listen in on, so got my putting practice in. Again focusing on alignment, but making sure the swing felt loose and free and results were solid. Then got in my speed training for the day. It was great to feel some of the speed coming back as I dove back in on Level 3 for super speed and got some good speed. I am enjoying this increased practice and hope to see some of the results next year on the course.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I’ve been doing some studying and applying the concepts to my putting.  Started on Saturday and applied some things to my Sunday round.  Overall the results were pretty good and I like what I saw.  I have continued the reading/studying and have tried some of the concepts during carpet putting sessions and the results seem promising.  
The skills I’ve been working on are setup/stroke, green reading, and touch.  While the green reading and setup is somewhat analytical, the touch aspects are very feel based which is kind of the opposite of what I normally do.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Well another good session highlighted by my new purchase.  Still working on rotating my chest open.  It's going to take some doing.  I think retraining my timing and release is going to be the toughest part.  I'm in the right position with most of my body, but I'm too early with some of it and a little late with other parts.  Considering that this is all taking place in literal milliseconds I think this is going to take some time to get right.... probably most of 2023 considering adding the little shallowing hitch took me most of 2022.  The one thing that was suggested before that has been immediately beneficial was getting a real hip turn by sliding my trail hip back.  It's had immediate results, so in the mean time while I'm working on the next adjustment I'm in a good place to play reasonable golf.

The highlight of the day though was the impulse purchase I made last Monday.  PXG 0211 w/ Tensei Raw Blue 75.  I'm very happy with the choice I made and I think it's going to have very positive results on my game.  I only hit about 20 balls with it today, but from the start I found the head to be forgiving, with good feedback, and a decent if not super hot face.  The shaft was borderline perfect, stable, easy to load, and very consistent in delivering the near center of face to the ball.  (My mediocre driver swing not withstanding.)  It's obviously early, and I did find that the Tensei didn't respond well to overly aggressive transitions and breakdowns in tempo, but I didn't have any crazy spinny misses.  Never sliced one off to space or pull hooked one off the map.  Time will tell but I feel like this is certainly going to help save maybe 1 or two strokes a round for me.  (whether or not I give them away in other parts of my game is another matter).  

Second ever swing with it.

Swings 5-10 after forgetting to press play for 3&4.

I would take those shots Syks!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

Thank you, it’s been a lot of work. My back is feeling it today lol

Sorry for the length, but.....

I can relate with the back issues, but something I just deal with pretty successfully given my condition.  The past few times playing, my drives have become more and more of a challenge.  My distance has been ok, but more and more fades, strong fades and a couple slices, but still very high % FIRs.  But the swing just hadn’t felt quite right and I’ve been fighting it. 

Just not transitioning properly during the downswing, and while I feel connected, I think I’m slightly losing it at the start of the downswing.   Also don’t feel I’m keeping my ‘center’ resulting in opening my left side while dipping my right side toward the ball, and laying back some.  (With driver I play the ball off the left heel, and by centered I mean the intersection of a line from the ball drawn back from the target, and a line perpendicular line).

Last Saturday went to the range and tried slowing things down, and concentrate on keeping my center.  Probably hit about 25-30 drives, and felt I was making some progress.  Was pulling quite a few too far left though.  Started reading the thread about shafts and torque, and began considering if that might be contributing.  My driver shaft is a recoil 450 ES F3 with 5.7* torque.  Anyways, I dismissed that notion.

Had another range sessions yesterday, and significant improvement.  Started with a much slower tempo but quickly increased, but still a bit slower than my normal.  Really worked on my backswing rotation while staying very close to centered.   Tried forcing a max rotation.  Interesting that the more I rotated, getting the hands as high as I can, the drives got better and better.  Still got some straight drives with a very subtle fade, which I can live with.  But then made another discovery- I try to hold and feel the lag position thru the downswing...and while focused on that, just totally relaxed my wrists and hands, and by doing so, felt the club at the top kind of collapse to more parallel to ground (I’m sure pics would verify).  Tried keeping that relaxed or neutral hand feel, and was hitting numerous baby draws and what seemed to be greater carry distance, and my finish position was much better.  

In conclusion, really feeling it in my lower back today, but in a way, it’s a ‘good’ hurt!

Edited by GaryF

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

Sorry for the length, but.....

I can relate with the back issues, but something I just deal with pretty successfully given my condition.  The past few times playing, my drives have become more and more of a challenge.  My distance has been ok, but more and more fades, strong fades and a couple slices, but still very high % FIRs.  But the swing just hadn’t felt quite right and I’ve been fighting it. 

Just not transitioning properly during the downswing, and while I feel connected, I think I’m slightly losing it at the start of the downswing.   Also don’t feel I’m keeping my ‘center’ resulting in opening my left side while dipping my right side toward the ball, and laying back some.  (With driver I play the ball off the left heel, and by centered I mean the intersection of a line from the ball drawn back from the target, and a line perpendicular line).

Last Saturday went to the range and tried slowing things down, and concentrate on keeping my center.  Probably hit about 25-30 drives, and felt I was making some progress.  Was pulling quite a few too far left though.  Started reading the thread about shafts and torque, and began considering if that might be contributing.  My driver shaft is a recoil 450 ES F3 with 5.7* torque.  Anyways, I dismissed that notion.

Had another range sessions yesterday, and significant improvement.  Started with a much slower tempo but quickly increased, but still a bit slower than my normal.  Really worked on my backswing rotation while staying very close to centered.   Tried forcing a max rotation.  Interesting that the more I rotated, getting the hands as high as I can, the drives got better and better.  Still got some straight drives with a very subtle fade, which I can live with.  But then made another discovery- I try to hold and feel the lag position thru the downswing...and while focused on that, just totally relaxed my wrists and hands, and by doing so, felt the club at the top kind of collapse to more parallel to ground (I’m sure pics would verify).  Tried keeping that relaxed or neutral hand feel, and was hitting numerous baby draws and what seemed to be greater carry distance, and my finish position was much better.  

In conclusion, really feeling it in my lower back today, but in a way, it’s a ‘good’ hurt!

Honestly, this is very much what I was feeling with the before, and the same with my downswing improvements. Right now, I am at the good being high towering straight or just falling to the right. I’m not quite to the draw stage, but I feel in time I will get there, but for the moment I’m still in astonishment of where I’ve gotten to. I’m still feeling that “good” hurt. 

Not the best day of practice today. Things were a little out of sync and physically I just wasn't all there, especially in the legs. Noticed a few mph of speed lost, and contact was a little off. Kind of worked through it and got to hitting some little baby fades that weren't going my normal distances, but would still manage to get me around the course. I'm continuing to work on driver and I was down to about 30% low hooks with the rest of the shots pretty straight. Like most other clubs, speed and distance were down, but this was a day of mostly working on correcting flaws rather than worrying about the results. Finished up the bucket by ripping the best 3 wood of my life. Hit that one off the deck about 15 yards past any of the shots in my fitting, so that club is definitely coming around. Looking forward to pulling it out on the course this weekend. 

Finished up the practice with about 15 minutes on the putting green. Working on 3 foot, 6 foot, and 10 foot putts mostly. Last few minutes were spent practicing longer putts trying to get a feel for the distance control with the new putter. It is definitely an adjustment to get used to this putter on those longer distances.

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review

Went to the range to continue working on a drill. It’s the whole basis of this swing change, and it SURE gets aggravating doing it over and over, but it’s the only way I’m ever going to get the change to happen.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Today was slow quarter speed swings into the net, working on rotating as much as possible on both the backswing and follow through.  

Yeesh!  Really need to up my flexibility!!  Also nearly brained myself with a ball that clanged off the support pole.

Hit the gym again for the first time in a couple months.  Another eye opener.  Hit it hard and going to feel it for a few days!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

Today was slow quarter speed swings into the net, working on rotating as much as possible on both the backswing and follow through.  

Yeesh!  Really need to up my flexibility!!  Also nearly brained myself with a ball that clanged off the support pole.

Hit the gym again for the first time in a couple months.  Another eye opener.  Hit it hard and going to feel it for a few days!

😬  Get some pipe insulation!!