TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Trying to do the slow work indoors; but personally I start to question or “fix” some of the movements.  My mind is trying to correct the over the line at the top and it makes me swing flatter on the backswing….which I know is the wrong thing to do.   In my mind this is one of the limitations of lessons (unless you have an unlimited plan for a period of time)   I have a 2 minute question and want to validate something but I have to consume another lesson.  Yes, there should be time to make sure things are done right but as you know we stray a little over time or without reinforcement.  

then we get into terminology, “dumping the right shoulder” doesn’t mean anything to me 🤪.  Traditionally, I have been the step down, shallow late type of player.   Remembering  my numbers, I was probably a little too step of an AoA (6-7*) and when I got down to the 4* range I was getting better numbers across the board.

i don’t work hard to close the face; if anything, my face is too closed.  Prior to implementing the wrist hinge, I was about 3* in to out or less and the face would vary between a couple of degrees closed to a couple of degrees open.  Yesterday, I was 2-6* closed.   

Feel free to post videos if your practice and I can help guide you.

dumping the right shoulder means you add too much right bend or what some refer to as leaning away from the target 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Turning my hips left in the downswing while keeping right heel down in a fairly narrow stance. It shallows the downswing. Just keep your head steady. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The one suggestion would be to look at getting the face to be facing a little more closed at shaft parallel in the downswing.

Definitely on my list of things to work on.  

AMG has become one of my favorite resources for drills.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

It's a balmy 26* here today, so my practicing has been relegated to swing practicing inside (club position/transition/body rotation........) it's supposed to get close to 45* tomorrow- so I'm gonna try and get out to work on my 30-50yd approach shots and maybe some chipping. Been doing a LOT of putting practice

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

...then we get into terminology, “dumping the right shoulder” doesn’t mean anything to me 🤪

Confusing terms do little in terms of helping others, especially being driven through different prisms of understanding and perspectives that folks have.

One of my favorites to consider concerns direction.  If at last parallel before the strike the shoulders point, which they should do,  to the opposite side of an imaginary target line we are standing to the side of,  the shoulders are considered 'closed', yet the corresponding club face orientation at that location with a toe up orientation is considered 'open', yet the face points to the same area as the shoulders do.    

It begs the question, why close a face that already is closed while in the toe up position....and it has really nothing to do with arc shapes or  arc locations.

Hmmm

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

23 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

Confusing terms do little in terms of helping others, especially being driven through different prisms of understanding and perspectives that folks have.

One of my favorites to consider concerns direction.  If at last parallel before the strike the shoulders point, which they should do,  to the opposite side of an imaginary target line we are standing to the side of,  the shoulders are considered 'closed', yet the corresponding club face orientation at that location with a toe up orientation is considered 'open', yet the face points to the same area as the shoulders do.    

It begs the question, why close a face that already is closed while in the toe up position....and it has really nothing to do with arc shapes or  arc locations.

Hmmm

I was taught "one is pretty much a captive to what has come before during the downswing" .  I think this is largely true, and any consciousness of movements during that phase of the swing needs to be within the context of a completed swing or else it likely won't hold up or last. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

1 hour ago, Andrew75 said:

I was taught "one is pretty much a captive to what has come before during the downswing" .  I think this is largely true, and any consciousness of movements during that phase of the swing needs to be within the context of a completed swing or else it likely won't hold up or last. 

Correct and really it’s any issue up until lead arm parallel. At this point timewise the swing is half over. From the top of the swing it’s roughly .25 seconds til impact and any correction one tries to make occurs after impact.

So from lead arm parallel to impact any movement is a compensation for out of place clubface 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well, I'm a minimalist, my lead arm doesn't go past parallel to the ground except maybe on a hard hit driver or fairway. In fact that's one of my swing keys on drives, "left arm parallel to ground backswing is finished". 

1 hour ago, Andrew75 said:

...that's pretty much it, but there is some wiggle room after transition to 'square' an 'open' from last parallel to the strike but it's set up prior to transition so that transition becomes a launching point for a very deep drop down to that last parallel.     

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

After a disastrous front nine yesterday, followed by a +4 back nine (all four strokes on 10&11), I went back to the range today to see if I could recreate the good stuff I had over the final 7 holes. Wedges were excellent - especially the partials (70/80yd shots) - seem to have found a technique that's repeatable and effective, which is awesome. Driver, after forcing a few, fell into a good groove, and most irons were behaving. 

Overall, a super productive session. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Not today, but at least every other day have been going to our local YMCA, they have a nice hitting area with 3 bays. 
I have been doing a drill to stop coming over the top, At 66 years I do about 100 per day, then practice my pitching with about 50, half at 7:30 other half 9:30 ( Dave Pelz ). Going to start working on chipping, at least the basic moves. Next 4 foot putts starting by the end of the month. 

Dean Miller

Totally in the house doing practice swings without clubs. Too cold outside  -5* and 10* in the barn.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I had lessons only twice with different PGA club pros. Instead of trying to work with what I have and just  making small tweaks, both tried to completely change my swing. So that was that. I hardly use a driving range. But I play alone frequently, so when no one is behind me, that is when I practice-especially approach shots, as a weakness in my game is greens in regulation. And will take time to practice on greens out on the course. I usually have found that practice putting greens do not emulate green conditions on the course. I am now 80 years old and am a high 70 to low 80s shooter. .

ff

Yesterday, I took my new putter to the practice green for about 15 minutes to work on distance control.  I didn't care much about line but rather getting the ball to within tap in range.  Afterwards, my wife and I were going to play about 3 holes (she's a newbie) but after our drives, she said it was too cold and didn't want to continue.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, Jim Shaw said:

what does "toe release" mean

Rotation of the left forearm after impact.

Driver -Sim Max 9* Ventus Red S or Callaway Rogue ST Max Tensei Blue Raw 55S

3 Wood - TSI2 Kurogage S

3/4 Hybrid - Srixon ZX

Irons - PXG 0311XP 5-6 -, PXG 0311P 7-GW MMT 80S

Wedges - Haywood 48 bent to 50, 56 bent to 54, 60 bent to 58 KBS Tour 90 steel

Putter - TM Spider Tour or Oddessy Big-T #5 (350g)

57 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

ahh, gotchya, to square up the club face at impact...

Interesting

Not practiced for a few days been digging behind a retaining wall that's leaning over a bit because the ground is half sand and I didn't set the posts correctly, I'm pleased with the work I've done and happy my body has stood up to it well, actually doing almost 3hours daily digging and spreading I'm hoping getting stronger digging will help my golf muscles. Should be back to golf mid next week if the weather finds some Sun...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Finally got to the range to hit some golf balls. It was packed. All the indoor spots were taken along with the top tracer so it was just a visual practice which wasn't a bad thing. 

Swing felt pretty good I must admit. Only a couple awful shots, but it was cold. Maybe 35 F or so and it was a bit wet so the balls were going nowhere. Not the end of the world again haven't swung a bunch recently and it was more to get the body loose again. 

I will say I love the sub70 irons, but I may move on from them. They work great don't get me wrong, but something witha little more power and forgiveness may be in the works. 

I think I will go and look at some options this week and just see whats there. Ping i230 will be on the short list. I won't be selling the sub70's as I still really like them and maybe its that I keep a few of them in like the pw and aw and go 9-5 iron with something else. Not sure yet, but I am going to look at exploring some options for an iron that is a bit more on the forgiving side. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Finally got to the range to hit some golf balls. It was packed. All the indoor spots were taken along with the top tracer so it was just a visual practice which wasn't a bad thing. 

Swing felt pretty good I must admit. Only a couple awful shots, but it was cold. Maybe 35 F or so and it was a bit wet so the balls were going nowhere. Not the end of the world again haven't swung a bunch recently and it was more to get the body loose again. 

I will say I love the sub70 irons, but I may move on from them. They work great don't get me wrong, but something witha little more power and forgiveness may be in the works. 

I think I will go and look at some options this week and just see whats there. Ping i230 will be on the short list. I won't be selling the sub70's as I still really like them and maybe its that I keep a few of them in like the pw and aw and go 9-5 iron with something else. Not sure yet, but I am going to look at exploring some options for an iron that is a bit more on the forgiving side. 

SO many good new options out there, I completely understand!  I am planning a full multi club fitting process - probably March timeframe.  I want to put my current Stealth irons up against Mizuno JPX923 (HMP and Forged), Callaway Paradym, Cobra King Tour, Srixon ZX MkII, not to mention a few DTC irons I've had my eye on.. I will be a busy spring.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Just now, Golfspy_TCB said:

SO many good new options out there, I completely understand!  I am planning a full multi club fitting process - probably March timeframe.  I want to put my current Stealth irons up against Mizuno JPX923 (HMP and Forged), Callaway Paradym, Cobra King Tour, Srixon ZX MkII, not to mention a few DTC irons I've had my eye on.. I will be a busy spring.  

It is that or I may look at making the lofts a bit stronger. They spin plenty so maybe getting a bit of spin off would help?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

8 minutes ago, 202 said:

Yes sir! Chipping and putting is where the money is at.
No need to rush things. Wait until you are 100% before going for full swings.

thanks for that, I am impatient by trade...my wife is a recovery room nurse, so she is keeping, how do you say, a close eye on me lol

committed to performance excellence

Multi faceted range day today

videoed my iron and driver for a lesson. Todays focus was Adam young impact drills with many rehearsals and then half swings. Worked up to full swings along with the arm dropping. Lead to straight to soft fade shots. 

Driver focused on turn and really had to think only take 25% swing, otherwise I was coming way across the line

Chipping work was ok. Worked on different spots and distances with my 54. Holed a few

putting work with the DF is coming along. Need more lag work but starting to get the feel down. Realized I used to compensate a lot reading putts. The lab hits my line and I can really see true break. I need to recalibrate. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

28 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

thanks for that, I am impatient by trade...my wife is a recovery room nurse, so she is keeping, how do you say, a close eye on me lol

... and if anyone has had surgery they know a real Saint when they see one. After my first devastating back surgery early in the morning my night nurse let me use a bedpan. But my afternoon nurse the next day, an older black lady said she ain't given' me no bedpan and If I want to get out tha hospital I best get up and start moving around. Not just the bathroom but walking with my IV in the hallway. Made it to the bathroom in considerable pain and later took a walk in the hallway. She passed me and with a slight twinkle in her eye and a barely detectable smile whispering "mmmm hmm". All of the nurses were awesome. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour