Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Today I spent about an hour in my back yard hitting birdieballs with my sand wedge and pitching wedge.  Really focused on developing a better preshot routine - more time looking at the target and visualizing the shot and less time looking down at the ball.  Felt like this routine allowed me to make more consistent swings that weren't focused on mechanics and instead focused on results.

Hit about 20 50-60m pitches, been struggling with these distance lately.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

A couple of days ago I took a playing lesson. If you can take one sometime. If you have a competent coach you'll find it interesting.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hit about 20 50-60m pitches, been struggling with these distance lately.

I do this several times a week.  We have a pitching green, and there are always range balls on it.  I prefer to use my own used balls that I play with, but if I am just working on technique, range balls are OK.  I have found that by working on my short shots like this, my full swing has also improved.

A couple of days ago I took a playing lesson. If you can take one sometime. If you have a competent coach you'll find it interesting.

I have been meaning to do this.  One of our local instructors is very good, and I have "audited" one of his group classes on the course.  These have been beginner classes, but he has given me a few pointers and doesn't try to change my single-plane swing.  He has actually said that my SPS is one of the best he has seen, but he doesn't have much experience with it, so I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot!  :)

When the season winds down and his time is more available, I think I will see how much he would charge to play 9-holes with me and provide feedback on my game.  He does that with his top junior students now.  One girl is 15 and drives the ball 280; hope she makes it to the next level.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I worked on my lag putting yesterday. Hit countless putts from 30-40-50 feet trying to work on speed and have them stop within a 6 foot circle around the hole.

Then went to the practice area and hit 3 balls to many different hole locations and from different lies. Here's the different part, I hit one ball each with my wedge, an 8i, and a 5i. Solely working on feel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

I swing Strings Concordance 10 times in front of a mirror in my study after doing some stretches. I try to do this daily at work.

Its easily as heavy as a standard medicine ball.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wow I hate looking back on posts from my phone! :)

I played yesterday and just grabbed and hour to work on my short game via my 3 ball drill. Take 1 club, drop 3 balls, pick a hole, play them as they lie and putt them out.

When I'm on my short game I can get up and down 9/9 somewhat regularly.

I couldn't do 3 in a row today. Clearly I needed the work. I will try again Monday and Weds. I'm playing Tuesday and Friday.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Vv l)ll)la

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

All 18 greens are closed at my club and we are in Tempe for 10 days so I hit some balls today while my son took a lesson. Spent half my time hitting nothing but fades through the bag and the second half hitting nothing but draws through the bag. There may just be something to this practice thing.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Went and shot nine holes at a course I've only gone to one other time this year. Shot pretty good, minus my drives. Only a few drives played in the fairway, I was hitting a lot of hard fades. Still shot a 40 though. Progress!!

RossCJohnson

Played a putting game with my two boys after taking them to the range. We each take turns picking a hole and where to hit from. Lowest strokes wins. Highlight of the day, my 6 year old made about a 30-35 foot bomb.

I practiced patience. I nearly broke about 3-4 clubs over the knee because of how poor I played but managed to hold the anger down.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Vv l)ll)la

I'm going to work on my posting. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Showed up at the course to play and test a few new clubs but it was full and by the time I could get on wouldn't have had time to play much more than 9.

So I decided to practice instead. After the range, I spent about an hour working on a lag putting drill. From one spot on the green I hit a ball to a hole 15 feet away then a ball to a hole 40 feet away. Repeated many times. Hopefully this will help with my feel on longer putts.

Showed up at the course to play and test a few new clubs but it was full and by the time I could get on wouldn't have had time to play much more than 9.

So I decided to practice instead. After the range, I spent about an hour working on a lag putting drill. From one spot on the green I hit a ball to a hole 15 feet away then a ball to a hole 40 feet away. Repeated many times. Hopefully this will help with my feel on longer putts.

This is a great way to significantly reduce 3-putts.  I do this several times a week, and it's amazing how well it works when I get on the course.  The only issue I have is that the speed of the green is different in the morning than in the evening.  I play with the guys in the morning, but my wife and I play after she gets off work.  I do better in the morning.  

It's a nice feeling to know that the next putt will be easy... if there is a next putt!  I've made a lot of long putts recently; a few birdies but the pars are what keeps a good round alive.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is a great way to significantly reduce 3-putts. I do this several times a week, and it's amazing how well it works when I get on the course. The only issue I have is that the speed of the green is different in the morning than in the evening. I play with the guys in the morning, but my wife and I play after she gets off work. I do better in the morning.

It's a nice feeling to know that the next putt will be easy... if there is a next putt! I've made a lot of long putts recently; a few birdies but the pars are what keeps a good round alive.

That's my only concern about speed. But I'm sure if I do it enough on different practice greens I'll get a feel for it.

Had a ton of conference calls today so I worked from home and did a lot of putting on my birdieball green. Really focused on a shorter backstroke and accelerating through the putter rather than feeling like I'm steering the club through the ball

I've got a variation is this for you. Putt from a spot in the middle of the green to the edge and try to get the ball to just roll up on the collar.

I learned that from listening to Anneka. It works very well for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have been meaning to do this.  One of our local instructors is very good, and I have "audited" one of his group classes on the course.  These have been beginner classes, but he has given me a few pointers and doesn't try to change my single-plane swing.  He has actually said that my SPS is one of the best he has seen, but he doesn't have much experience with it, so I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot!   :)

When the season winds down and his time is more available, I think I will see how much he would charge to play 9-holes with me and provide feedback on my game.  He does that with his top junior students now.  One girl is 15 and drives the ball 280; hope she makes it to the next level.

Well I did it!!  Last week I set up a playing lesson with the best teaching pro in the region.  He has won pro tournaments here in central Washington, but now just focuses on teaching and has been the eastern Washington teacher of the year.

Yesterday he and I played 9 holes at my club.  First, I have to brag a little... I beat him!   :)   But that's not really fair.  He hasn't played much at all this year; only on the course with his students who are mostly kids.  I had walked 9-holes with my regular Monday group, then got a cart and drove to the far side of the driving range where he conducts his classes with his students.  I hit a few balls to keep loose while he finished up with a couple pf students, then we headed to the first tee.  He usually plays this course from the tips, but he played from the Blues with me.  

I asked him to play with me in order to evaluate my game, not to spend time working on anything in particular.  I just wanted an assessment.  I played better than I did earlier with the guys; +2 vs. +5 earlier in the day.  One bad swing on a 200 yard par 3 cost me 2 strokes!!  At the completion of the round, we discussed several issues that he noticed, and I raised a few of my concerns with my game.  I have known this instructor for a few years, and I "audited" a class he had this summer just to see how he teaches.  However, I was hesitant to take a lesson because I have spent several years committed to the single plane swing, and I didn't want any teacher that doesn't understand this swing to mess with it.  The SPS fixed my huge slice about 10 years ago.

He was impressed with my game and said he enjoyed playing with me.  He assured me that he will not interfere with my SPS.  So, next Monday I have another appointment with him to head out onto the course and focus on certain shots from some of the awkward lies on the course.  There are several locations where I struggle.  The fairways of my course are not particularly flat, and it seems that the landing zone on several holes are on a downslope.  Second shots from here are not my best.  The course also has mounds just off the fairway, so uneven lies in the rough are common.  This is where we will be next week.  We might also work on some fairway bunker shots.  I've never been very good from there, and I always try to avoid them... not always successfully.

So, what did this cost??  I was amazed!  I wondered if it was just because he liked me, but for 1.5 hours playing on the course, he changed me $40.  Same next week.  I call this a bargain!!

Thanks PJ for bringing this up, otherwise I might not have done it.

I hit about 80 balls today - 5 54's, 5 PWs, 10 9 irons, 10 7 irons, 5 4 hybrids, 5 Drivers, 10 9 irons, 10 48's, 10 54's, 10 60'.

I didn't lay the sod over on a single one although I hit a couple thin.  Here's what the practice ground looked like when I finished.  I just wish that I had more time to play.  I'm hitting it well right now. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I was able to practice some on Sunday. Went through the bag and hit roughly 10 shots with each club and then ended with about 20 shots to a pin ~105 yards away. Focused on trying to put it within 15-20 feet of the flag on each shot.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

On Monday I had another playing lesson with the pro.  I am enjoying these!!  He had another student with him, so the three of us went out on the course.  John is a nice guy who is a couple of years older than I am, but he is about a 20 hcp. He is a disabled vet and his birthday was yesterday.  He bought a brand new Corvette!!!  

The pro worked with both of us with most of my time on downhill/sidehill lies.  I have figured out that this shot requires a lot of clubhead speed that I don't have.  To compensate, I have to use a more lofted club and know that I won't get the distance that I would with my normal club from a flat lie.  But I will get more distance because I hit the ball better.  It's going to take more practice, but I am feeling more comfortable hitting the shot.

My highlight of the lesson was on hole #7, a par 4 that is one of my nemesis holes.  I hit a decent drive and had a 5i to the green from a slight downhill lie.  The pro hit his new Titleist 917 driver beautifully and had a wedge to the green.  I hit probably my best 5i of the month, off a lie that I don't really like, onto the green pin-high, about 15 feet.  The pro hit his wedge to about 6 feet.  I told John that the pro was going to make his birdie, so I had to make mine.  I did!!   So did he.  

Good stuff Kenny! If money wasn't an issue playing lessons would be the only lessons I ever sprung for. Working on my game in actual round conditions would be so much better for me than working on the range.

If it wasn't so affordable, I probably wouldn't do it but maybe once or twice.  The pro's fee, charged through the clubhouse even though he doesn't work there, is $40.  We play for about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on his schedule and how busy the course is.  A week ago we played 9 holes.  This past Monday the course was more crowded, so we cut it short; only played 5 holes + a little time on the back side of the range hitting off downhill lies.

Definitely want to do this.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Not sure if this is played or practiced but I played the par

3 course at my muni. No tees just dropped 2 balls on the ground got a yardage and hit them. That meant I hit everything from the 60 to my 4 hybrid 93 yards to 188. Played both balls out. I was 1 over with one and even with the other. It took one hour. I had so much fun.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches