Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

This morning was pretty nice at 56* and very little wind but rain was forecasted for early afternoon. So I went to the club to practice. I started on the pitching green and hit a variety of shots from 25 and 50 yards; high, low with my 54 and 58 SCORs. I hadn't done this since last fall, but I was happy with the results.

Next, I went to the range (I hate range work!) and worked on getting a bigger backswing. I shot my best round on Sunday by focusing on a good turn, and I thought that the winter caused a shorter turn, so let's stretch it out! Hit some nice shots, but had a few mishits. I will be doing this more over the coming weeks.

Then I went to the chipping/putting green. First I worked on chip shots with my 54, 50, and 46 SCORs varying shots to different pins. This part of my game was solid last weekend, and today I was still sticking them close. I'll keep riding that horse as long as I can. Finally, I worked on putting from the MGS putting test distance of 5, 10, and 20 feet. The grounds crew mowed the greens early today, and they were pretty quick; just like I like them. Yesterday, the grass was too wet and the greens didn't get mowed. No bunker practice; maybe next time.

Overall, I spent 2 hours practicing. It's supposed to be a nice sunny day tomorrow so I'll be playing with the guys at the club. I wonder how many strokes today's practice will be worth??

Wow .. nice! You have a great practice regimen. If it's not "worth" actual strokes - yet - I bet it translates into easy ;) pars and birdies

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Wow .. nice! You have a great practice regimen. If it's not "worth" actual strokes - yet - I bet it translates into easy ;) pars and birdies

I really like short game practice.  I could probably chip/pitch putt all day long.  I think it's because I can be a little creative with different shots.  It's kind of odd for an engineer, I know.  I only go to the range if I need to work on a specific aspect of my swing.  Today I did not hit my driver.  Don't really need to and hitting driver more than a few times wears me out.   :(   My short game has really improved since I moved to this club last year.  My old club did not have good practice areas, and the course conditions were unlike any other course in the STATE!!  Didn't do much good to practice there anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I really like short game practice. I could probably chip/pitch putt all day long. I think it's because I can be a little creative with different shots. It's kind of odd for an engineer, I know. I only go to the range if I need to work on a specific aspect of my swing. Today I did not hit my driver. Don't really need to and hitting driver more than a few times wears me out. :( My short game has really improved since I moved to this club last year. My old club did not have good practice areas, and the course conditions were unlike any other course in the STATE!! Didn't do much good to practice there anyway.

Yeah, same here except you're making me think I might have to find a real club to join... Although around here that's pretty much cost prohibitive. So I scratch around at a few different public facilities, plus my garage and on occasion my backyard.

Do like the range - once in a while - and spend most of my time there with irons and hybrids.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

We got 8 inches of snow and I'm still recovering from having the appendix jump ship, so I've just been working on the positions in the video I previously posted. For so long I've been sticking my butt out. Pretty tough to get it back in and round things out, but I'm getting there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I really like short game practice. I could probably chip/pitch putt all day long.

I am like you. I could practice this aspect of my game all day. It is pretty much all I do practice and I may go to the range and hit a couple of warmup balls before a round. I practice putting at home and get to the course well before a round to work primarily on pitch and chips. Unfortunately my short game practice does not carry over to the course

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am like you. I could practice this aspect of my game all day. It is pretty much all I do practice and I may go to the range and hit a couple of warmup balls before a round. I practice putting at home and get to the course well before a round to work primarily on pitch and chips. Unfortunately my short game practice does not carry over to the course

Yeah - I hate that... Smooth and controlled in practice, telling ourselves we're video-worthy of a "How To" segment on The Golf Channel, but then....

Nerves? Jitters? Tension? Distracted? Focusing on the "do not hit it there"? Over-thinking the value of the shot?

(What do we do to ourselves when we're out on the course?????)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I think I've practiced replying to every new thread that's popped up here today. Does that count ? All the ranges and courses are closed with snow and ice still covering the ground.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Had a big problem of hooking the ball.So last week I thought I would experiment with ways to fix it.Found out that when I drive my right elbow past my belt buckle I don't hook as bad.My golf game and swing is a mixture treasure trove of quick fix tips.Hope this feel lasts longer than a week

Keep it in the short stuff

Yeah - I hate that... Smooth and controlled in practice, telling ourselves we're video-worthy of a "How To" segment on The Golf Channel, but then....

Nerves? Jitters? Tension? Distracted? Focusing on the "do not hit it there"? Over-thinking the value of the shot?

(What do we do to ourselves when we're out on the course?????)

Yeah, that why I said I wonder how many strokes this practice will be worth.  I think we all expect that if we practice and practice that we will get up 'n down nearly 100% of the time, and are disappointed that we don't.  However, I have seen over the last year that I am flubbing less shots, getting shots a little closer to the pin, and have made a few.  Some days are really good; others maybe not so good, but overall I think I'm better.  But it's golf... that is the way it's supposed to be!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Had a big problem of hooking the ball.So last week I thought I would experiment with ways to fix it.Found out that when I drive my right elbow past my belt buckle I don't hook as bad.My golf game and swing is a mixture treasure trove of quick fix tips.Hope this feel lasts longer than a week

There is no way I could ever "drive my right elbow past my belt buckle"!!  I think I would hurt myself.  At my age if I can get it inside my right hip, I'm happy!   :)

Yeah, that why I said I wonder how many strokes this practice will be worth. I think we all expect that if we practice and practice that we will get up 'n down nearly 100% of the time, and are disappointed that we don't. However, I have seen over the last year that I am flubbing less shots, getting shots a little closer to the pin, and have made a few. Some days are really good; others maybe not so good, but overall I think I'm better. But it's golf... that is the way it's supposed to be!

Similar here - incremental on-course improvements over time. Practice practice practice to work on ingraining the proper movements but when it counts still have yet to convince myself to "trust it"....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I am NOT one to pass on swing tips, but... FYI and only fyi....

(Also see the thread on Golf Instruction Overload!)

Recently saw a Secret Golf clip on Twitter with Steve Elkington and Pat Perez on how to hit a fade (the situation they were working on was an approach to a sloped green) .. Elk was coaching Pat and told him at the moment of impact think of your hands (*assuming you're right-handed) turning clockwise; ie. trying holding the face more open.

FYI.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Finally decided to make changes that needed for a long time and went for lessons. Needless to say it has been eye opening. The real vs feel is unbelievable. I never thought I did anything with my lower body and come to find out that was the main issue with my swing. Going for my 4th lesson today. Even though it is on a simulator the changes in regards to strike and flight (for a simulator) have been amazing. I always fought a pull hook but now it is a straight to gentle fade with 1 and 1/2 club gain in distance.

I am now an advocate of lessons. I always thought I could figure it out. I guess the wife was right I am little stubborn. Just don't tell her. LOL!!!

Finally some swampy dormant weeds to hit off from. About a 10' circle, good to knock the rust off. A few more weeks till the snow melts and I can go find the lucky Pro V's I sent on a ride. I have 75 yards in my backyard I've turned into a 15, 25, 30, 45, 50... 75 yard chip and pitch practice area, nothing special, I just knock the tall stuff down. Has a "bunker" and I can replicate most all lies, looking to install a putting/chipping green in my basement for next winter, and it just so happens the living room is tall enough for full driver swings, maybe a Skytrak...

- Da Yooper

• 3 weeks later...

Got out today to the range and worked on tempo and ball flight. The 917 just does not agree with range balls and was spinning off the charts. Gave up on it after about 8 swings. My game is ready for four rounds this week, well as ready as it can be coming off a winter layoff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Was able to walk 18 today, soggy conditions, but my new wedges are getting dialed in. Keep pulling my long irons. Definitely need to work on putting 7 three putts.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Working on my 100 yard and in. My neighbors are on vacation so... I hit them over the trees "on accident", getting the basics back down. My grip drifted to weak over the winter. Got it back, easier to manufacture shots now. Officially pulling the 60° out of the bag for good. 56° is my one stop shop for accuracy and dial a distance. Throwing darts from 30, 40 and 50 yards. All within a yard of my "pin".

Was able to walk 9 today then hit around afterwards. Plan on getting back to the basics tomorrow with my swing, something just isn't right. Needs lots of practice.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Hit waaaaay too many more range balls than an old guy should - 225 (for $17) - but did spend most of my time, effort and range balls with different wedges going at different targets .. 100, 75 and 50.

Did much better than usual at 100 and 75, but strangely enough had trouble with the 50 .. not a huge dispersion but bad enough .. hmmm....

Anyway was trying to focus on a consistent, smooth tempo with a simple, easy swing. Still needs more work but making some progress!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I took lesson #2 the weekend before last and have a lot to work on. These are a few of the drills. I put them in play this past weekend and while I hit some really ugly shots, I hit some really great shots as well. It won't come quickly or easy and it may get worse before it gets better, but I'm really happy so far.

https://youtu.be/djsSZwdDmQ4

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Yesterday, I worked on getting my left shoulder more up and swinging on a more up swing with my driver to get my flight up.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Have been taking a series of in person golf lesson(s) this last month and half.The teacher directed his entire focus fixing my severe over the top swing.Been working on manually shallowing the club and squaring the face at impact with a hard left pivot.This all has been done with his watchful eye- camera and extensive muscle memory drills.All during the lesson(s) I've never swung the club more than a 50% of my normal speed.Funny enough the distances have almost been the same of my normal 100% old motion.Maybe because the ball is going lower? Not sure

Anyway, when i play i try and replicate the motion as best as I can.Almost feel like I'm bunting the ball.Just can't describe how swinging with no speed emphasis can hit the Ball just as far or farther than my all out speed.Truly feels like I'm only going to hit my driver 80 yards.According to him , all over the top guys are the result of trying to hit the Ball.His focus is let the club do the work for you.Swing as easy as where you feel the weight of the club in your hand with oily wrists

Keep it in the short stuff

Have been taking a series of in person golf lesson(s) this last month and half.The teacher directed his entire focus fixing my severe over the top swing.Been working on manually shallowing the club and squaring the face at impact with a hard left pivot.This all has been done with his watchful eye- camera and extensive muscle memory drills.All during the lesson(s) I've never swung the club more than a 50% of my normal speed.Funny enough the distances have almost been the same of my normal 100% old motion.Maybe because the ball is going lower? Not sure

Anyway, when i play i try and replicate the motion as best as I can.Almost feel like I'm bunting the ball.Just can't describe how swinging with no speed emphasis can hit the Ball just as far or farther than my all out speed.Truly feels like I'm only going to hit my driver 80 yards.According to him , all over the top guys are the result of trying to hit the Ball.His focus is let the club do the work for you.Swing as easy as where you feel the weight of the club in your hand with oily wrists

Sounds like .. and my uneducated guess is .. you're making better contact with the ball. Congrats!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Didn't practice per say, but I looked at old videos of when I attended a golf school at Orange County National in Winter Garden, Fl. Reviewed some basics and then put on Phil Mickelson's short game DVD. Need to actually get out and see if the mental changes I made in my swing match the physical reality of my swing, lol.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Weather here is still pretty spotty, mostly spending time on the range getting ready for my fitting next week.  Had surgery in late February and really got out of golf shape.

Purpose of fitting is: review / check irons from last Fall's fitting (should be short, as they seem to be pretty good), add hybrid or wood to fill gap between current fairway wood and hybrid (currently 5 1/2 degree gap between clubs) and replace head / driver after denting my current driver head.

Generally getting about 100 swings in, split between irons, hybrid and driver 4-5 days a week (either outdoors on range, or indoors if weather is bad) for the past 2 1/2 weeks.

I feel like I'm making progress, even if I'm not as physically fit as I'd hoped to be by this time of year.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Had a blast hitting balls yesterday between our assistant pro and a guy prepping for life on the hooters tour.

I was stunned by how low he launched his driver. Still the ball was staying in the air for ever. It was impressive but I don't know how it will play in it High launch world.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I shot an 86.

44/42 my first round ever with multiple birdies!

It was 4 hours ago and I'm still cheesing!!!!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

My instructor said something that really hit a nerve with me the other day when we were talking about seeing thoughts. He knows I play a lot of basketball and asked me if I think through all the parts of taking a shot like "set my feet", "bend the knees", "look at the rim" "take the ball back" "now shoot". Of course I said heck no. I just do it. And he said exactly. Through practice you train your body to make the right moves and when you get on the course you think about what you want to do in your pre shot routine and then you just do it. It really made sense to me and made me want to just clear my mind and just hit the ball. I'm hoping that frame of mind will remove any thoughts and allow me to swing freely.