jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

Stopped by the club, grabbed my LW and 4 balls and made my way over to the chipping area.  Practiced varying between high shot and low shot to 2 different pins for about 1/2 hour.  Didn't do it intentionally, but I had grabbed 4 balls from my used ball pocket in my bag and 2 of them were Taylor Made TP5X and the other 2 were Snell MTB-X.  I couldn't discern any noticeable differences on short pitches or chips between the 2 brands.  Both felt and spun very similarly.

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Nice enough range session today -

I came out Sunday and hit 4 straight greens - I had some issues later in the round though - I’m convinced it’s a lack of focus. I keep wanting it to be automatic - it’s not going to be - i have to learn that and focus

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Another day, another bucket full 'o shanks. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm at a total loss. And very frustrated and angry, which I know isn't helping things at all.

Literally, of the 30ish balls I split between my 54 and 7 iron, 90 percent barely got off the ground and dove hard right. 

I'm supposed to have an iron fitting tomorrow with the local Mizuno rep, but I'm contemplating cancelling. There's no way you could fit ANYTHING to this.

• Sad 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

46 minutes ago, edingc said:

Another day, another bucket full 'o shanks. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm at a total loss. And very frustrated and angry, which I know isn't helping things at all.

Literally, of the 30ish balls I split between my 54 and 7 iron, 90 percent barely got off the ground and dove hard right. 

I'm supposed to have an iron fitting tomorrow with the local Mizuno rep, but I'm contemplating cancelling. There's no way you could fit ANYTHING to this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I hit a large bucket this morning, working on my wrist set and backswing. Looks like I was getting a bit lazy for a while, and my wrist set was more up than slightly back, which results in wipey fades. My irons were great, 5i off the tee was the most consistent long shot I had all morning. Driver & fairways... eh not so much. I even tried the hybrid which was blah as usual.

Seriously thinking about going all irons for my next round just for the heck of it. I scored 110 my last 18, can't get any worse by dropping the woods... RIGHT???

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 9/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, edingc said:

Spent 45 minutes on this today hitting half 54s and think I got it all squared away, finally. I had been working with a different swing thought relating to my hip rotation, and while I was getting better rotation of the hips, I was no longer hinging properly at the waist. Because of that, the shaft had no where to go but up and out, which led to Shanksville.

Thanks to @THEZIPR23 for bringing some levity to the situation with the Tin Cup reference. I did end up cancelling my Mizuno fitting today, which is a bummer, but I was just putting way too much stress on myself thinking about it. There will always be another time - the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate this afternoon anyway.

One drill that really helped me today was this one from Monte:

• Like 4

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)

3 minutes ago, edingc said:

Spent 45 minutes on this today hitting half 54s and think I got it all squared away, finally. I had been working with a different swing thought relating to my hip rotation, and while I was getting better rotation of the hips, I was no longer hinging properly at the waist. Because of that, the shaft had no where to go but up and out, which led to Shanksville.

Thanks to @THEZIPR23 for bringing some levity to the situation with the Tin Cup reference. I did end up cancelling my Mizuno fitting today, which is a bummer, but I was just putting way too much stress on myself thinking about it. There will always be another time - the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate this afternoon anyway.

One drill that really helped me today was this one from Monte:

Sometimes we just have to take a step back and get out of our own way. I have suffered from shankitis pretty much my whole golfing life. I'll never forget my first set of irons I ever got fit for. Titleist 962 DCI's. It was a static fitting, not really a fitting but that's what they called it then. + 1 1/2" and 2* upright. Got my hands on them and took a large bucket of balls to the range. Shanked 100 of them in a row. Got another bucket and shanked another 100 in a row. Not kidding I didn't hit the face once. Obviously angry, depressed and a disaster I went home and came back the next day and everything was fine. 🤦‍♂️.

One of the things that I have found to cure them almost immediately now is to focus on my right knee staying inside the ball and more toward the target. Fixes it most of the time. 

• Like 4

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Had a lesson - found a couple of alignment/set up faults to work on - so no changes with the swing but big changes if you know what I mean - doing the same thing with a different set up felt really weird.

I’ve been having trouble getting the ball to go at the target except with driver - I hit a lot of balls at the target after the lesson today

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Had some spare time today so I took time to really hit my 7i.  

I have begun to feel comfortable with the new grip. That took longer than I thought it would.  

I put the same grip on my 4h and felt it was perfect by the second swing. I changed to a Golf Pride with a bit less tapering because of a need for my right hand. Seemed to work well for the hybrid.

Still feels a bit off on the 7i, so worked to get a better handle on it. (Pun intended, sorry.) Made the club feel heavier even though the weight of the club did not change.  Now the older grip was showing some serious wear, so it might be simply getting back to "normal"

After 25 whacks, I began getting the loft, distance and direction better in order.  I seem o have a fuller control the club and it feels very comfortable.  My arthritis is not even noticed.

I was fitted for the grip, as well.

Should be a solid fix after this weekend.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Did some putting inside on the carpet. Did some drills and things the SeeMore Tour Rep gave me to work on to correct some putting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Happy St Michael and All Angels Day!

I canceled my post church round because I want last weeks lesson to sink in.

Really hit it good, good in a way that I haven’t hit it in five years. We shall see but this is promising.

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Hit 40 balls on my lunch break - really striped them - I am definitely on to something - I haven’t hit the ball this solidly in a long time, different sound, different feel, different ball flight.

Now I need to shower and change back into my work clothes. It’s 90 out.

:)

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Hit a small bucket to try and figure out my driver funk. After a bunch of low and ugly shots, I pulled out the foot spray. First hit was way on the heel.

I stepped back a few inches and addressed the ball with the toe of my driver, something I used to to but stopped for some reason. The next shot was out on the toe, so I adjusted again. And then?

IMG_5488.JPG.a2be02af485a034a466abe8574064726.JPG

Pretty much every other shot after that change would have been playable and no penalties. I could have used that last week!

Irons were very good, as was my fairway. Making an effort to make sure my thumbs point slightly back in addition to up in my backswing makes a world of difference. Sometimes I get lazy and just go up with the thumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Been focusing the past two days on getting back to what was working earlier this season. I limped through my round Saturday thanks to my driver and short game, which I got away with until the driver quit working for me on No. 16 and the wheels fell off my round. My iron contact was crap, just no distance and a bunch of weak high fades or thin/topped shanky looking things, such as the two I put in the water on 16 and 18.

Couple of things happened over the past few weeks which I'm now trying to revert:

1) As I had mentioned above in my getting over the shanks post, I had been trying to change my hip rotation slightly and I overdid it, causing all sorts of problems. I think I have this fixed now, only had one shanky wedge today.

2) In the process of doing Monte's takeaway drill, my arms starting to work in a disconnected fashion from my shoulders/torso. I'm now focusing more on staying connected and really kind of speeding up my torso a bit in the backswing. Seems to help keep everything together more easily.

3) For some reason, I decided I needed to work on getting the club more toe up in my takeaway/backswing (P2 position or so...). This ended up being disastrous for me as I started extended my left wrist, coming way inside and leaving the club face wide open at the top. Queue the high, weak iron shots. (Looking at GAME Golf from the past round, I lost about 20-25 yards on some of my worst offenders.) Comparatively, it now feels like I'm hooding the club face and coming way outside on the takeaway, but checking myself I'm hitting much better positions. Feel isn't real!

Anyway, I went back to what was working before, hitting tons of half 54 wedges in the short game area since the range has been closed due to rain. Toward the end of my practice I really starting honing in on the target flags from 40-50 yards or so. Results were pretty good! 

IMG_08102019_131053_(800_x_1067_pixel).jpg.671dcd192b111dc10c59551871ecc468.jpg

• Like 6

Hit a large bucket at lunch today (shhh don't tell my boss). I spent a lot of time with my 54* just trying to see how I could get different flights to a few targets. Driver was good today, so was my HWood off the deck. Irons have definitely been getting more consistent, and a lot of that is really focusing in on my backswing. When I get that right, everything else just feels automatic. 

• Like 7

Today's practice weapons were: Driver, 6i, 7i and 91.

After a really focused warm-up to get the body awake and, with use of my Orange Whip® to get the flow right, I was ready to go.

First club used got me off to a great start. Shots were well on line, great loft.  Really great looking shots with not too bad speed.  The only frustration came from distance. For a 6i, I was fairly disappointed. I usually got significantly better distance.  So I put the club back in the bag and came to the conclusion that, for a 9i, the shots were really good!  

Yes, I had been swinging a 9i, not my 6i. 

Lack of coffee plain and simple!

But, it drove home how much I need to not over think and allow the club to do the work!

I then hit the 6i and was very happy with those results. Got the distances expected, as well.

My 7i was better than it had been behaving. Some bit of a left hook, but nothing too out of line.

Driver was one of the best days in a while, though instead of a nice draw, a few were exaggerated a bit too much.

I think 85-90% of the whacks were more that playable (one wild slice, two worm burners).  If I am happy with 85%+ of my shots, I should have a good game.

• Like 3

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

After evaluating my game over the past week I decided it's back to practice vs. play. Went to the practice holes today and focused solely on 80 yards in. My shag bag got quite a workout not to mention the wedges.

All of my wedges were spot on so I figure the issues on the course must be more of an issue with being tentative vs. believing my yardage chart.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

So wanted to hit long shots today but I needed to do short game stuff as part of a testing opportunity - in theory today was my day off but in reality two very sick people plus the ongoing Penny Van saga made that impossible.

Practice was fun, a fellow school grandfather was working on his short game. He’s a very strong player - we tried to match shots and also see who could get up and down the most.

• Like 7

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

4 hours ago, revkev said:

So wanted to hit long shots today but I needed to do short game stuff as part of a testing opportunity - in theory today was my day off but in reality two very sick people plus the ongoing Penny Van saga made that impossible.

Practice was fun, a fellow school grandfather was working on his short game. He’s a very strong player - we tried to match shots and also see who could get up and down the most.

Well... who won?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Volume UP^^^

Colorado weather has been beautiful the past 3 days. And my wrist finally feels good enough to take some proper divots... so I took ~600 of them over that stretch. Still have a couple of things to get dialed in, but I have most of the recent hinky wrist related habits ironed out.

For me personally, being able to practice multiple days in a row speeds up my progress by orders of magnitude. And once I’m dropping it in the slot, practice becomes downright addictive. So I’m planning to continue digging as long as the weather (and turf) allow.

Still bummed about basically missing my entire Summer of golf but I’m not giving up yet - only 7 months until Bandon Dunes

• Like 5
  • Love 2

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan