jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Been trying a lot of drivers lately, since that's the biggest current gap in my bag. Candidates are:

- Ping G410 (Max, LFT, SFT)

- Cobra F9

- TM M5/6 & also a buddies M2 tour spec he no longer uses

- Callaway Epic's

Right now the Cobra F9 is the leader with 280yd+ carry #'s, however I went to the new Top Golf in Richmond on Saturday - side note, place was a ghost town on Sat AM for others in the area - and tried out my buddies M2 Tour Spec (apparently he somehow got it off the tour truck last year...I didn't ask to many questions) w/ a Speeder 65g S-flex shaft. Based on the trackers at Top Golf, I was getting  carry distances in the 255-265yd range and most hits went where I wanted them to go. 

Also beat my other buddies in their regular scoring game since my wedges were rock-steady 😉 

• Like 3

B4 my fitting this morning I stopped at the closet course warmer up in the net, chipped and putted for 45min as the sun came up. IMG_0216.JPGIMG_0212.JPGIMG_0215.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

I watched a BUNCH of Mike Malaska videos that are on YouTube, and I did some of the drills. With my back disease that I deal with, I’m going to look at transitioning to what he teaches. It seems like it will help save my back in the long run.

The other two guys I’ve done lessons with, Bryan Pate, and Mike Bender, have so much body movement/rotation/extension that I actually HURT after doing their drills, or hitting balls, or playing 18.

This is a big change, but for the sake of reducing pain, I gotta do it. Plus, having played tennis year round until I was 14, I really see his swing philosophy of hand action being pretty easy to mimic since it’s very similar to the old forehand I hit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 9

Well... who won?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

He’s a plus 2 and 8 years my junior - enough said. :)

• Like 2

IMG_1386.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

Chipping and putting yesterday

IMG_1389.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

Full shots today

• Like 5

6 hours ago, revkev said:

He’s a plus 2 and 8 years my junior - enough said. 🙂

What ever happened to old age and treachery beating youth and skill every time??   🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

What ever happened to old age and treachery beating youth and skill every time??   🤣

FAKE NEWS

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Only 6i work today. Took suggestions on how to hit much straighter and somewhat faster mid iron shots; I was primarily watching address position, turn turn turn, simply swinging freely.

Speed showed improvement and I was able to keep most of the shots well with a 8' width os my imaginary fairway. Even as I went for greater distance.

Was it dumb luck?

Looking forward to working with a top tracer tomorrow to check results.

• Like 3

Was able to get out this morning and spend an hour at the driving range and another half hour on the putting green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

With winds north of 23mph out of the west, I took the opportunity to work on some low 50-75 yard shots.... directly into the wind.

Nothing more fun than hitting a 7 iron that travels head high for 75 yards.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was able to get out yesterday during a low wind period which really only lasted an hour or two. The range was completely dead as a result, which I liked. 

I mostly worked on woods, including the Heavenwood off the deck and the 4i off the tee for those rounds when the woods don't want to cooperate (which is more often than not it seems with me). The more I bounce around the bag, the better my practice time becomes. 

• Like 3

Putter distance control at various distances.  Focus was to control speed to end up no more than 2 feet behind the target.

• Like 3

Putter distance control at various distances.  Focus was to control speed to end up no more than 2 feet behind the target.

That’s a great practice routine. I prefer 12-18 inches behind hole.
Just the engineering background leaching out.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Clearly, @CarlH is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clearly, [mention=85348]CarlH[/mention] is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  

2’ can sometimes look like 3’

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Clearly, @CarlH is more confident with 2 footers than you are!!  😁

OR, has a tendency to leave putts short so is forcing himself to be more aggressive.  Just saying 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I prefer them going in, but that's just the perfectionist in me speaking 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I prefer them going in, but that's just the perfectionist in me speaking

Huh, who knew

• Like 1

I’ve always had some early extension. To combat that and to learn better hip clearing/rotation on the downswing, I’ve been working on standing taller at address and getting closer to the ball.  This forces me to turn through the shot as my hips have to turn through to make solid contact.  I’ve been doing a lot of super slow motion swings inside at night and 50% swings on the range to groove the motion and feel.  It feels odd because I’ve always stood so far away at address, but early in the process it seems to be working.  

• Like 1

I didn’t mention it prior but I had to take a little over a week off because of an infected bug bite (IV antibiotic followed by a week on a heavy duty oral one.)

I hit about 40 balls late today, mostly 7 irons, 2 7 woods and 3 5 woods, the sun wore me down quickly. In fact I feel like I spent the day on the beach in the middle of the summer tonight.

It’s going to take a few days to get this out of my system.

The bite site looks great! So so hitting balls but that was to be expected. Going to try some chipping and putting tomorrow. It’s really hot for this time of the year, even in Florida. There’s no relief in site. :(

• Like 3