jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

19 hours ago, edingc said:

Had a good first winter range session yesterday. I haven't finished building my new set just yet, so I only brought along the 7 iron and a 54 degree wedge. I was pretty please with the results, definitely could have shot a decent round with the swing I had.

I'm happy to say my pivot/backswing has improved greatly since I really started practicing in March. No more sway. My misses yesterday were on the toe, pretty sure I'm getting a little early extension pulling my arms in and coming across the ball.

This was one of my better swings and you can still see my first move in the downswing is to steepen slightly:

steep.gif.9faf8356079472d5b0080bd1c3250b5b.gif

Have a few things I'm working on in my setup to help fix this, specifically making sure I'm not standing too close to the ball. I don't know why, but until yesterday I never noticed how much I pull my arms/hands in toward my thigh. They hang almost straight down at six o'clock, but if I let them naturally hang they are closer to five o'clock. When I setup that way it feels like I'm a mile away from the ball, but practicing with a few foam balls in the backyard tells me I have a lot more room for my arms to shallow being further away.

It'll be another two weeks until I get some more range time, most likely, but I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

I, too, pull in just enough to change the impact area from fully centered on the sweet spot to a very toed one. Agreed, that even the slightest change in distance at set up seems as if I am swinging from the next county.  Does not seem "normal" to me just yet; but when it is on the results are great. Best of luck to you!

• Like 2

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On the range today with three mini tour players - one made it to the final stage of Korn Ferry Q school so we are talking guys with serious game. They were warming up to play. The one guy hits drivers off the deck as part of his warmup - pretty impressive.

Back to earth I jumped back into the Super Speed game - did a dynamic warm up, hit three drivers, average SS 90, a little slow for me but it was only 3 and with other warm up. Did the level one protocols and hit 3 more -averaged 94.

Then hit about a dozen 9, a dozen 8’s, 3 or 4 7 woods and some gap wedges to finish up.

I’m going to follow that level one protocol and try to do 1 workout a week like this one - on the range live.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

3 hours ago, revkev said:

On the range today with three mini tour players - one made it to the final stage of Korn Ferry Q school so we are talking guys with serious game. They were warming up to play. The one guy hits drivers off the deck as part of his warmup - pretty impressive.

Back to earth I jumped back into the Super Speed game - did a dynamic warm up, hit three drivers, average SS 90, a little slow for me but it was only 3 and with other warm up. Did the level one protocols and hit 3 more -averaged 94.

Then hit about a dozen 9, a dozen 8’s, 3 or 4 7 woods and some gap wedges to finish up.

I’m going to follow that level one protocol and try to do 1 workout a week like this one - on the range live.

Good for you!!

I'm jumping back into the SuperSpeed protocol again.  My right wrist is better; been sore all summer.  We are moving to a new house at the end of the month.  In addition to high ceilings in the 3-car garage, there is a room behind the third bay that might be a good exercise room or... hitting bay(?)  So unlike last winter I don't have to wait for a nice day outside.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good for you!!
I'm jumping back into the SuperSpeed protocol again.  My right wrist is better; been sore all summer.  We are moving to a new house at the end of the month.  In addition to high ceilings in the 3-car garage, there is a room behind the third bay that might be a good exercise room or... hitting bay(?)  So unlike last winter I don't have to wait for a nice day outside.

Will you resume where you left off or do what I’m doing? I will say this was much easier on the body than the first time around. I wondering if I shouldn’t have resumed at level 2 but that would require kneeling -

IMG_1414.JPG

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

26 minutes ago, revkev said:

Will you resume where you left off or do what I’m doing? I will say this was much easier on the body than the first time around. I wondering if I shouldn’t have resumed at level 2 but that would require kneeling -

IMG_1414.JPG

I will restart at the beginning.  It's been too long.  What will be interesting is that with my recent swing change with Monte Scheinblum, I'm driving the ball further but I haven't check SS yet.  I'm just comparing where I'm playing my 2nd shot to where I was a couple of months ago.  It's a lot colder when I play now and the body isn't as warm, but I'm probably getting more bounce and roll.  Do hard, fast fairways offset cold weather, stiff body and more layers of clothes??  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, it was good as I did a morning of final prep for the match tomorrow.  

18 holes on a course where I barely break 100!

Once quickly through the bag!  All clubs showed an improved line of the shots over the hooks that come into play when I go on auto pilot. Being a hooker is the BIG fault in my geezer/hacker technique.

I was happy, in particular, with my hybrids and 6i, which will be needed on this course.

Wedges were MUCH more on target, especially in the sand trap practice time.  The course I am playing has only a few pre-green traps, which are not too deep, and, not too great of a lip in the green traps.  I will do my human-limited best to avoid them.

The biggest accuracy gain was in my driver.  While I did not measure it, my AoA seemed a bit better, longer, lower action with better post re-entry roll. On this course, if you drive straight, you are in a good position to do well on every hole.

Will get a bit of pre-round putting in tonight, at home.

May Friday's game not be destroyed by my slight overconfidence my technique and clubsood range  from a g!

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 3

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I mentioned in my last update that I "discovered" I've been standing too close to that ball. Today, I pulled out the tripod just to see the difference. This is only from Sunday until today.

Sunday - Typical looking backswing from this season. Could never figure out how to get steeper and longer in the backswing, anytime I did, I felt really disconnected. As I posted above, from here I come down really steep on the downswing.

snapshot_20191107_201317.jpg.ab9223d280543ac9ab830f643bcf2e66.jpg

Today - Hitting foam balls in 30ish degree weather. Only change is that I've standing farther away from the ball. Lead/left arm is now covering the right shoulder, left shoulder comes up under my chin. Because I'm standing farther away I have more room to swing my hands/arms around my spine instead of inside my spine angle. On the downswing, this is translating to some shallowing and more club speed.

snapshot_20191107_201052.jpg.096fd49326dc81e034794a180381fd4d.jpg

Excited to get back out to the range.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Practice 9-hole round this afternoon.  Ball striking was not very good, but my putting was much better.  Simply widening my stance gave better control on putts; made a bunch of 4-6 footers.  

I used to have a wide stance, and I really don't know how my stance got narrower, but I'm glad I'm back to wide.

• Like 4

I mentioned in my last update that I "discovered" I've been standing too close to that ball. Today, I pulled out the tripod just to see the difference. This is only from Sunday until today.
Sunday - Typical looking backswing from this season. Could never figure out how to get steeper and longer in the backswing, anytime I did, I felt really disconnected. As I posted above, from here I come down really steep on the downswing.
snapshot_20191107_201317.jpg.ab9223d280543ac9ab830f643bcf2e66.jpg
Today - Hitting foam balls in 30ish degree weather. Only change is that I've standing farther away from the ball. Lead/left arm is now covering the right shoulder, left shoulder comes up under my chin. Because I'm standing farther away I have more room to swing my hands/arms around my spine instead of inside my spine angle. On the downswing, this is translating to some shallowing and more club speed.
snapshot_20191107_201052.jpg.096fd49326dc81e034794a180381fd4d.jpg
Excited to get back out to the range.

You would not like my teacher

He doesn’t believe it’s possible to stand too close to the ball. :)

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

He doesn’t believe it’s possible to stand too close to the ball. :)

I’ve heard the same thing.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, revkev said:

He doesn’t believe it’s possible to stand too close to the ball. 🙂

I just never realized how much I hugged my arms in toward my body instead of letting them hang freely. Standing a little further away lets my arms hang naturally now at around 5 o'clock when viewed from behind, which seems to be letting me go back more on plane and not inside like I did before. 

I have longer than average arms for my height, so I think this contributes to it.

Of course, this has only been validated with foam balls in the backyard. Hoping to get back to the heated range tomorrow.

• Like 4

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)

I just never realized how much I hugged my arms in toward my body instead of letting them hang freely. Standing a little further away lets my arms hang naturally now at around 5 o'clock when viewed from behind, which seems to be letting me go back more on plane and not inside like I did before. 
I have longer than average arms for my height, so I think this contributes to it.
Of course, this has only been validated with foam balls in the backyard. Hoping to get back to the heated range tomorrow.

I had an instructor a while back who was always preaching to me about keeping ball closer. Sometimes it’s worked, sometimes no.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

18 hours ago, Rickp said:

I had an instructor a while back who was always preaching to me about keeping ball closer. Sometimes it’s worked, sometimes no.

Anymore, I'm always standing too close to the ball ..... after I hit it!  😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Went to the range today, and it started out badly. I was hitting shanks and spending more time hitting toward the heel than i care to do. After some work on keeping my right elbow from flying out on me, I started to see some improvement.

After straightening that out, probably 3/4 of my bucket, I started focusing on the thought of taking my left shoulder down toward the ball then up through on my follow through. I'm not the best at explaining swing thoughts, but that idea in my head as I was hitting had me hitting longer, straighter shots with my irons. I got this tidbit of a thought at the 4:20 mark of this video by Mark Crossfield:

I'm going to spend some time in my yard trying to incorporate this move into my swing and see how it helps. I've always had a habit of trying to push through the ball with my right side and I'm wondering if this might help to keep me from hanging back on my right side.

One of these days I'm going to take lessons and actually learn how to play this game.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

@Rickp @revkev

I hit far too many balls at the heated range this morning, but I can confirm I was too close before. Now, the caveat to that is that it is definitely possible to be too far from the ball also. I had quite a few close to the toe while I figured out exactly how far I should be.

I ended up finding a distance where my arms were hanging freely at address, but also that I felt pressure on both the balls and heels of my feet, with a bit more pressure on the heels. The little bit of extra pressure on my heels helps me get a nice turn of my lower body.

• Like 5

My playing buddies tell me that my stance is too narrow.  I tell them that it is easier for me to rotate my hips with the narrow stance.  I finally gave in and began to practice widening my stance while playing.  I've gained distance and starting to gain more control as I adjust back to the wider stance.  I feel that the last few weeks my game has been the most consistent it has been in awhile and my confidence is going up and my handicap will fall. 

I do lose more balls left with the wider stance so Im still working the kinks out on that part, but loving the added yardage and for the most part more control. 

• Like 5

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Playing 18 on my Optishot simulator setup. It doesn't do great with woods so i just use irons off the tee. Good to just swing. Need to make sure I do this 1-2 times a week throughout winter. 1573781220504~3.jpeg

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Went to the range today to get in some work with my irons and to spend time practicing my short game. I haven't been able to play in over a month, but have been trying to take advantage of my range pass to keep sharp. I have a tentative round next weekend with a couple of buddies, and one of them can absolutely blow by me off the tee. His short game isn't as good, so I figure an advantage in that part of the game can't do anything but help me.

I had pretty good results results on the range, I'm starting to see more of a high, piercing ball flight compared to my stock shot that looks like an arch. It's hard to explain, but I've always felt my shot takes the flight pattern of a basketball leaving the hand of a player shooting beyond the three point line. I'm still working on a better rotation with the shoulders on the follow through and not feeling like I'm stopping it early.

My major regret is the fact they have closed the grass part of the range and have brought out the mats. I hate mats...they have a tendency to mask too many problems with contact. Accuracy was better than normal, though with fewer shots going off course. Still need to work on contact.

20191116_135951-01.jpeg

After the range, I moved to the chipping green and worked on better rotation and not an all arm swing. Spent about half an hour there before moving on the the putting green.

Started there working on distance control, and boy was the green fast! Arccos shows that my average distance on all approach shots to be 25 feet, so then I started working from that distance and tried not to three putt from three.

Finally, I went just off the green to work on improving my chip and down percentage that is currently sitting at 10.3 percent. I would try to chip three balls and then try to one putt from there.
20191116_152633-01.jpeg

(Results were not too good)

Now I know why I average 39 putts a round.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

Large bucket at the heated range again this morning. Not as great as last week. Falling into old habits again. A little too inside on the takeaway and not enough turn into my right hip on the backswing. Did find a few that were just right and liked the results. Just a matter of consistency. My miss right now is off the toe when I get too steep in the downswing.

Club head speed continues to impress thanks to Fit For Golf. It was very cold this morning (high 20s, heated stall probably in the upper 40s), and right out of the gate with no real warm up I was seeing some very positive speed results. Now, I just need to get more of the center of the face to get my ball speeds up.

I also spent a good 15 minutes on the indoor practice "green," which although quite large has some ridiculous undulations and is about as hard as putting on concrete. The positive I'm taking away is that my impact when putting has gotten a whole lot more consistent since fixing my stance and adding a bit of forward shaft line. I think next year could be a much better year for the putter!

• Like 3

Continuing to work on the drills from my lessons a few Sundays ago. A better takeaway should help transform the rest of my swing and be easier on my body. It's amazing how simple some things can be....and how our bodies want to go back to what's familiar, yet not ideal for great performance and scores.

2019 wasn't a year of good golf or practice for me. I'm planning 2020 will be!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink: