jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

And when you (and I) were in school they told us we would not have a calculator with us everywhere went so we needed to learn how to do the math.  Guess what,  I  have a calculator with me every day  
[mention=81594]GB13[/mention]depending on what you what to do from a profession standpoint you will probably need math skills.  

I never saw a calculator until the late 60’s early 70’s, It was only addition, subtraction, division & multiplication and was the size of a Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

18 hours ago, Rickp said:

I never saw a calculator until the late 60’s early 70’s, It was only addition, subtraction, division & multiplication and was the size of a Volkswagen.

We had one of those!!!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So admittedly, I don't "love" golf this time of year and chasing the ball among leaves and dormant grass in low light conditions just isn't much fun to me. So instead, these last several weeks I have instead been focusing on (and really enjoying) going to my club and playing and practicing wedges almost exclusively. It's kinda turned into an addiction and I've found myself enjoying it and thinking alot about ways to improve. Most of my time has been spent in 2 areas: 1) working on and collecting alot of data for distances for each wedge with half, 3/4, and full swings, with two wedges also having an added "specialty" distance 2) playing games going around the course like playing 18 holes playing only shots from 60-125yd and keeping proximity to hole, and also dropping a second ball in or around green inside 40 yards and keeping track of strokes and/or up and downs.

It's really captured me, planning to go do more of the same with this today.

Edit: as to the underlined above, this has been fascinating to me and has really quieted my mind on distances and shots........and the net result (+/-) in turn has been knowing/having 13 different "go to shots/yardages" between 62 yards and 127 yards. How cool!

Edited by Trial&Error
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Trial&Error said:

So admittedly, I don't "love" golf this time of year and chasing the ball among leaves and dormant grass in low light conditions just isn't much fun to me. So instead, these last several weeks I have instead been focusing on (and really enjoying) going to my club and playing and practicing wedges almost exclusively. It's kinda turned into an addiction and I've found myself enjoying it and thinking alot about ways to improve. Most of my time has been spent in 2 areas: 1) working on and collecting alot of data for distances for each wedge with half, 3/4, and full swings, with two wedges also having an added "specialty" distance 2) playing games going around the course like playing 18 holes playing only shots from 60-125yd and keeping proximity to hole, and also dropping a second ball in or around green inside 40 yards and keeping track of strokes and/or up and downs.

It's really captured me, planning to go do more of the same with this today.

Edit: as to the underlined above, this has been fascinating to me and has really quieted my mind on distances and shots........and the net result (+/-) in turn has been knowing/having 13 different "go to shots/yardages" between 62 yards and 127 yards. How cool!

This is the kind of on-course practice I use throughout the year, except I don't collect data.  Maybe I should.  Playing at a muni, the course is not busy after the morning groups go out and before the afternoon leagues start.  Some days I work on tee shots, pick up and go to various yardages from the green to hit approaches, then play all the putts.  Other days I will only hit mid-irons and hybrids from locations that I frequent during a round.  I find this practice much more enjoyable than range and short game area time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My instructor identified a fault with rolling the forearms to start the backswing and opening the club face on a flat plane. Started to notice that getting my hands higher on my backswing with a closed clubface eliminated a lot of my two way miss due to timing a flip or roll of the hands to shut the face. The result was a consistent fade tending towards slice as my path is out to in. 

Was thinking about "shallowing elements" as discussed in Adam Young's Strike Plan. Which led to messing around with some partial, slow motion, and then full swings where the downswing was started with an exaggerated "pulling down" on the handle which tucks the trail elbow and initiates side bend instead of starting by "swinging" the club out and towards the ball. It was easy to see this led to an in-out path and it started to feel powerful after some practice. 

Did 3 or 4 sessions of 5 minutes over the evening getting into a proper address position and ingraining this feeling making 9 iron swings without a ball. 

Also listened to the Golf Science Lab podcast with John Novosel Jr. about the Tour Temp tones and added his suggestion of trying to swing faster than normal as an experiment with this new technique. Excited to try this out at the range but might have to take it straight to the "course" for the next round on the simulator due to shortage of practice time.  

• Like 3

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

Heavy rain and winds so ventured out this evening for a large bucket. I added some weight to the head of a driver I shortened and played with that a little. Ive always felt with my swing speed and tempo I should be longer. Watched a ton of videos paying attention to wrist cock as Ive always felt that this was lacking in my swing. Worked on that and certainly added very noticable yardage. Some control issue but not huge.I think it was more of a timing thing.

Kind of excited if I can work that out.

Work on wedges a bit  as well.

Edited by pulledabill
spelling
  • Like 3

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 12/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, GB13 said:

Preparing for my ACT exam, so I’m practicing a s***load of math that I’m never going to actually use in the real world. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:53 AM, Kenny B said:

You don't know that.  Depends on what you want to do in life.  

I didn't have to take any tests to get into college, but I loved math.  I was a math major until my sophomore year, then changed to chemistry... still used math.  Throughout my career I used math in ways I couldn't have guessed at your age.  

Today I use it every day I play golf...  -1 for birdie, 0 for par, +1 for bogey, +2 for double.  Much easier to add up my score than all those 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 scores!  🤣

Good luck!!

Yeah, GB13 you may never ever never "use math" .. per se .. again in your life, but..... like KennyB said there's a good chance you will. I was also a math major (still not sure how I actually graduated 😆!) but if you can work though the process of solving problems then you've learned how to think and use your brain .. which is adaptable to ANY enterprise - including golf! 

Good luck on the exams!

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)

Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

“We” went to a CBD “informative session” today run partially by our neighbor.
It was a slightly disguised MLM scheme bordering on Pyramid Scheme.
I’ll discuss with my real Doc Thursday.
Ridiculous pricing.

Talked to my GP Doc about the CBD oil. My Doc knows little about it but is trying to get info about it. He has 1 patient who had tremendous results with the oil but other patients started off great but the results really didn’t last very long.
Rev if you’re doing well with the cream that’s great. I’m going to look for some of the cream and see if it can help my knee.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

A decent range session this afternoon; working on solid contact and a better impact position. A little improvement showing vs last week .. yea!

The longer clubs were a bit 50-50, and tinkered some with the driver weights and settings, but not overly concerned as current focus is short clubs + tempo. Plus it's FREAKIN COLD here!!! 😜

• Like 5

Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

Hit a large this morning in 20-30 ,mph gusts. Tempo. wrist cock, and wind play were worked onas well as a different swingweigt onmy driver. Loving the new shorter driver shaft. 

• Like 5

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Talked to my GP Doc about the CBD oil. My Doc knows little about it but is trying to get info about it. He has 1 patient who had tremendous results with the oil but other patients started off great but the results really didn’t last very long.
Rev if you’re doing well with the cream that’s great. I’m going to look for some of the cream and see if it can help my knee.

My doctor was clear that the oil brings mixed results it the cream always works. That’s why I went with the cream. It’s working for me

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

My doctor was clear that the oil brings mixed results it the cream always works. That’s why I went with the cream. It’s working for me

Yeah it makes sense to be able to apply the pain reliever directly to the desired area(s).
  • Like 2

Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

I've used aspercreme and icy hot - does this work better?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I’m primarily looking for sleep help. The older I get the worse I sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

So did your doc provide a solution?

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Ask your doc about Tizanidine.  It's a generic muscle relaxer and is cheap.  I take one 4mg tablet before bed, and I am out like a light.  Better than any sleep aid I took when I was traveling overseas.

• Like 2

So did your doc provide a solution?

Melatonin 10 mg.
I can’t take anything with Benadryl in it as knocks the out of me.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Ask your doc about Tizanidine.  It's a generic muscle relaxer and is cheap.  I take one 4mg tablet before bed, and I am out like a light.  Better than any sleep aid I took when I was traveling overseas.

I’ll drop Doc a message thru the Portal and see if it’s OK to try it.
Thanks

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I’ll drop Doc a message thru the Portal and see if it’s OK to try it.
Thanksemoji106.png

I tried melatonin; didn't work for me.  Got the prescription strength... nothing.  Tizanidine worked great and no side affects.

• Like 2

I've used aspercreme and icy hot - does this work better?

No comparison - it’s much more effective than anything I’ve ever used.
@Rick I’ve heard whiskey helps with getting a good night’s sleep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them