jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

This injury has sidelined since the end of Dec,  1st of Jan.  Zero golf minus a bit of putting until this last week.  Finally got in to physical therapy and am just about healed.  I expect to have a full doctors release next in 10 days or so.  Really hoping this short game practice helps as my swing will not be in order come April 6th for a tourney at the Oregon Golf Club. 

I do think I am going to ditch the 60 degree wedge and stick with my 58.  The difference being my 51, 54, and 58 are Vokeys, and the 60 is a Cleveland RX4 I think.  Just not where close to the same feel and as my Vokeys so I see nor advantage playing a 60 with so much different feel than my other wedges.  I think it would hurt me on touch shots around the green.   I will find a used Vokey somewhere to play with. 

Edited by pulledabill
  • Like 2

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Hit balls indoors today with my son on GC Quad. Tapping in the new bag seems to be right where I want it for the early season. First round of the season in NY tomorrow at Bethpage.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Went to the range first, hit a large bucket (40-50 balls), fought early extension the last 1/3. Frustrating.
Went to the chipping green and spent almost an hour chipping first, then hit pitches. Figured out the PW is the choice for chipping, and the 54* for pitching.
Then worked on putting speed since our greens are in tough shape.
I gotta keep spending the time in the short game area. This is where I’m going to help myself the most in my quest for all rounds in the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Went to the chipping green and spent almost an hour chipping first, then hit pitches. Figured out the PW is the choice for chipping, and the 54* for pitching.

I gotta keep spending the time in the short game area. This is where I’m going to help myself the most in my quest for all rounds in the 70s.

I agree; at least for me it is the key to the game.  Either I need to hit 18 greens or I need to figure out my short game woes.   My problem is I can sit on the practice green and hit them well, but when I get the one chance on the course I screw it up.  I think I am failing to commit to the shot and just go right under the ball.   Just need to tell myself to hit the ball because it would be nice to actually go over past the hole instead of way short.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree; at least for me it is the key to the game.  Either I need to hit 18 greens or I need to figure out my short game woes.   My problem is I can sit on the practice green and hit them well, but when I get the one chance on the course I screw it up.  I think I am failing to commit to the shot and just go right under the ball.   Just need to tell myself to hit the ball because it would be nice to actually go over past the hole instead of way short.  

That mental side is a killer. My issue has been not committing to a technique, so I stand over a ball and don’t know how I’m going to swing! I’ve committed to a chipping style, and I’ve committed to a pitching style. Now I just gotta get the reps so I can trust that part and just focus on distance control.
No wonder Pros still don’t break par every time. There are SO many aspects to this game to work on to the detriment of areas not worked on! Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Swinging the short irons well and should be playing the whole bag this week if all goes well.  Putter practice is a bit rough as my back is hurting a bit so I can't put a ton of effort in on the green.  Trying to stretch it out on the Swiss ball so it should help.  I've been working a little on chipping with the ball closer to me to get the shaft more upright.  Some days it's the bomb, yesterday it was duffers paradise.  Maybe lack of concentration as I seldom duff around the green. 

• Like 2

5W- Alpha XS

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Was supposed to play a round with Foz and Rob today but had a family situation that I needed my attention and couldn’t play with them.

Once I shook free I was able to get to the range. I’m following the same pattern with SuoerSpeed as last year - for a while I couldn’t hit the ball worth a lick and then bang everything clicked.

Today was the “click” day - I also hit some balls in sequence, driver, walk to my van, walk back (about 280 yards), approach shot, walk to the putting green (140 yards), 2 putts - followed that pattern 4 or 5 times.

Hit my last two shots with driver - here they are on the club face:

IMG_1654.JPG

That gives you an idea of how well I was swinging - the marks were on top of each other.

Now it’s time to take it to the course

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

48 minutes ago, revkev said:

Was supposed to play a round with Foz and Rob today but had a family situation that I needed my attention and couldn’t play with them.

Once I shook free I was able to get to the range. I’m following the same pattern with SuoerSpeed as last year - for a while I couldn’t hit the ball worth a lick and then bang everything clicked.

Today was the “click” day - I also hit some balls in sequence, driver, walk to my van, walk back (about 280 yards), approach shot, walk to the putting green (140 yards), 2 putts - followed that pattern 4 or 5 times.

IMG_1654.JPG

That gives you an idea of how well I was swinging - the marks were on top of each other.

Nice...

Never seen or heard of anybody hitting a driver, then "walk to the ball", and so on.....I hit around a few guys that will play a specific course at the range and go through their clubs that way. 

5W- Alpha XS

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Well I am sorta seriously practicing again since I am retiring at the end of March. I am semi retired now only working 3 days and 30 hrs. But I am seriously trying to get my body back in shape. One tends to gain weight and lose mobility sitting in the cab of a truck 10 to 12 hours a day. I have been doing stretching exercises using 5 lb weights. My back seems ok now so I have been practicing with my older heavy stiff shafted vintage irons and persimmon woods. Yesterday after church I worked on my putting about 2 hours then hit the range and hit 50 balls with the old sticks then walked a 8 club vintage 9 hole round. Today worked on putting about 2 hrs again and the short game for 1 hr then hit 100 balls. Walked 9 holes carrying 13 clubs this time. I have not felt sore or stiff in fact I am getting more limber. It is not so much about improving my game or score it is more about losing weight feeling better and enjoying walking my vintage rounds again. My carry bag is an real old school like a Jones but made out of ballistic nylon and is lighter than a moonlight type bag. I did modify it with a better Nike padded strap but it carries real light. 

• Like 6

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

1 hour ago, revkev said:

IMG_1654.JPG

Keep on Rev and you will be giving me 3 up a side when we meet up!!!!

• Like 1

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

@pulledabill - first time that I've ever done that - there was no one on the range - beautiful day, people were playing, and I've been walking when playing a lot - so I thought - why not simulate what actually happens in a round - I've done exactly what you described for years and played simulated rounds, I have even sidled over to the practice green and hit a chip or putt in between - this really gave the feel of a regular round - I liked it.  Don't know if the opportunity will present itself again but I liked this method of practice a lot.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

On 1/7/2020 at 3:12 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

So, my wedge game has been TRASH lately, (I mean WORSE than the rest of it emoji51.png). Had some free time today and stopped at Haas Family Golf (shameless plug for Jay, Jay Jr & Bill) and hit nothing but wedges for an hour. Moved a bit away from the ball and moved the ball position back a good bit, and “Voila!” I love this game again. BTW: If you’re looking for wedges, and don’t have Ping in your list, it’s a mistake, IMO. These beauties are money, even in my less than stellar hands. IMG_7092.JPGIMG_7093.JPG

I think now they are the only KZG club dealer in both Carolinas now. Knew Jay back in the day when he lived in Charlotte. If the rest of the Haas family are like him then they are good folks

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

Well I am sorta seriously practicing again since I am retiring at the end of March. I am semi retired now only working 3 days and 30 hrs. But I am seriously trying to get my body back in shape. One tends to gain weight and lose mobility sitting in the cab of a truck 10 to 12 hours a day. I have been doing stretching exercises using 5 lb weights. My back seems ok now so I have been practicing with my older heavy stiff shafted vintage irons and persimmon woods. Yesterday after church I worked on my putting about 2 hours then hit the range and hit 50 balls with the old sticks then walked a 8 club vintage 9 hole round. Today worked on putting about 2 hrs again and the short game for 1 hr then hit 100 balls. Walked 9 holes carrying 13 clubs this time. I have not felt sore or stiff in fact I am getting more limber. It is not so much about improving my game or score it is more about losing weight feeling better and enjoying walking my vintage rounds again. My carry bag is an real old school like a Jones but made out of ballistic nylon and is lighter than a moonlight type bag. I did modify it with a better Nike padded strap but it carries real light. 

You’re going to enjoy retirement Boss, and getting in shape won’t hurt.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

7 hours ago, Rickp said:

You’re going to enjoy retirement Boss, and getting in shape won’t hurt.

Believe it or not right now I am actually enjoying the getting back into shape. Of course I will admit 99% of that is hitting and playing my vintage clubs again

• Like 1

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

Did a little bit of short game practice, which I've sorely neglected lately. Nothing too serious, mainly just getting a bit of feel of ball on the club face. Planning to get out do a bit more real work on the short game Thursday. 

I've missed not practicing, but work is settling down so I plan to get out and put in some hard work.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Really needing to get to the range or at the very least set up my net in the garage to get my swing back in tempo.  

I've been down in the basement working on my putting stroke lately.  Ensuring that my fundamentals are keyed in and getting the ball started on the correct line I choose.  Also, have been trying to have high hands and not let my grip get "stuck" in my waist.  Hopefully, it will lead to better speed control on the greens with consistency on my strike and more makes if I'm starting it on proper line.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Played 18 on the optishot also tried to use R-Motion simultaneously work for the most part but I think R-Motion is a little off with foam balls.
More importantly I got a notification that The local course will be open tomorrow morning. Should I take a half day off work? Supposed to be 55*?

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Played 18 on the optishot also tried to use R-Motion simultaneously work for the most part but I think R-Motion is a little off with foam balls.
More importantly I got a notification that The local course will be open tomorrow morning. Should I take a half day off work? Supposed to be 55*?

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As they say - just do it!

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

First time taking full swings in over 2 months. Went through the whole bag on a medium bucket. Felt good and struck the ball well. Long irons a bit off, but happy overall. 

• Like 3

5W- Alpha XS

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played a practice 9 this afternoon. Was planning to play a few holes and hit a few random chips on each hole. Got to the first tee and a 60ish year old woman asked me if I could guide her as she had an upcoming match at my course and had never played there before.

I was happy to oblige. She was a pretty solid golfer, with a pretty good all round game. Hit it really solid, played percentages well except for one poor decision. Offering course management advice was helpful to my game, a good reminder to focus in on that for every shot. 

Short game again wasn't great, until the last 2 holes when I relaxed and just committed to the shot instead of over thinking and under committing.

Playing a 9 hole 4 club comp tomorrow, should be a bit of fun.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy