TESTERS WANTED! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

3 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Hope that you have fun both rounds, and just enjoy them for the opportunities they present, being outdoors, enjoying the time with others, and potentially making new friends along the way.

Really hope that you will also post a few pictures of the fun events you have coming up.

Just relax, and enjoy these moments for what they really are, without putting any other undue pressure on yourself.

Thank you! It'll be fun getting out with guys I've never played with before and just experiencing new courses. You can be sure I'll post some photos, especially from Dead Horse. I've been looking to Arccos and Google Earth scouting it and it looks interesting.

As a bonus to tomorrow's round, I'm going to make a surprise visit to see my sister. She lives in the area and due to taking care of my mother-in-law during Covid, I haven't seen her in over a year. I'm going to have to slyly make sure she's not doing something and she's home. 

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Thank you! It'll be fun getting out with guys I've never played with before and just experiencing new courses. You can be sure I'll post some photos, especially from Dead Horse. I've been looking to Arccos and Google Earth scouting it and it looks interesting.

I've never played the course either, but I'm sure we will have a great time. Its all about playing golf and having some fun along the way. I got to play this morning to warm up for tomorrow. Haven't been able to play much the last couple of weeks with all my daughters state track meets and her HS graduation.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Just messed around PGASS with my daughter today. Was fun! Was able to stroke the ER2V while I was there and really enjoyed it.

Daughter was loving the practice green and may be buying a set sooner than later 😂 she was extremely disappointed we didn’t make the 2nd putt 

Really need a new putter....when you purposely setup on the toe no matter what...

00510B15-BE24-4C3A-988F-7691919774BF.png.cc89a6a1711e7a1cbba4400be7d7880f.png

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

After my round, was practicing some stuff from my most recent lesson. Shorter backswing with a good turn. Started hitting a baby draw with driver with that swing. Never seen that ball flight before. I have hit plenty of hooks before, but not a consistent proper legitimate baby draw. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

My son and I hit the range late this afternoon. My funk from Thursday carried into today... My son on the other hand settled into a consistent groove.

PXL_20210530_203830640.MP.jpg

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Was thinking about being more consistent with my putting and chipping and generally if I have a flat uphill to the pin I like to use the ground like chipping and use the toe of the club like I do for putting 

I find downhill putts very difficult to judge the speed and generally look at the hole or spot and feel where the butt of the putt club is. 

It seems like a totally different setup on the long uphills vs long downhills 

Edited by Haro

Greenside bunker play is getting better    I’m feel it’s free swinging  not to be afraid to hit sand using my body a lot more and weight over my front leg.  Setting up the ball relative to where my foot position is 

I think this keeps me using my “ entire  body “ Into the motion and not just my arms  or just my hands or just my upper body 

While rain postponed yesterday round, going to the store to replace Jackson’s broken driver meant I wasn’t the only one in the house who wanted to go to the range today.

Took a trip this afternoon and tried to feel like I was maintaining my bend in the downswing.  And man did I hit a few pure.  I hit several shots that were right at the 100 yard flag, one that might have hit the stick from 148, and a 175 yard 7-iron that would have been a real good birdie opportunity.  I’m really starting to hit my stride with the Modus 120x and love the feel. 

As always when I go with @Lacassem and my brother we like to play a few games.  Today I decided it would be fun to take a few swings with his Radspeed + Motore X combo.  Except unlike last time where I barely got it off the ground (there’s a.... 4ish degree difference in our lofts) I made sure to swing up on it.

Hit an absolute bomb that Mark caught on camera (thanks for the evidence).  Thanks to the few extra swings I got with it I’m seriously contemplating if it might be a better fit in the big stick for me than the Ventus Blue 6x.  The Motore X feels incredibly smooth but still stable.  

We had the radar out again and Mark must have been swinging well within himself as we were both registering around 110 mark.  I hit 111 a few times and 112 once, but the result was.... less than ideal.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I've been struggling in a very bad way lately. The big right miss is always lurking, and that's just assuming I make clean contact and don't double-cross it left. Not great... But, I'm not one to give up and have been working in earnest to completely rebuild my swing. It's not enough to simply make good contact, I want to create something much more repeatable and less likely to introduce such chaos.

The results from yesterday's driving range and short game session yielded some positive results. Unfortunately, I didn't capture any pics or video from that, but set the camera up at home while working on the same "feels". The differences (at least to me) are significant!

BEFORE (2nd pic in transition):

IMG_4006.PNG.56d272990e34972c30f15720f3f2a67a.PNG

IMG_4003.PNG.32c5c8c1b1f8a69a4d4a762cace95d7b.PNG

AFTER (2nd pic in transition):

IMG_4005.PNG.d0fd53e0537e37d9de1e7d0ba89bda43.PNG

IMG_4001.PNG.c02bf6ea20aa5728e2325cfbb24a5ec0.PNG

I don't have anything to show for impact position simply due to that fact that I was swinging inside and a proper move down towards the "ball" would destroy my wife's new rug and earn me a 3-night stay at the Back Breaker's Inn (AKA: the cOUCH)! 😂 

From the top, my previous move lacked rotation through the impact zone as my hips would get ahead of my arms and stall out or slide. So, I've implemented the Tiger pump drill to feel as though the swing starts with the arms and everything syncs up much better. I still need to work on covering the ball and exiting left, but much improved with a stronger, more piercing ball flight as a result.

It'll be a solid week or two before I make it back to the range or course with rain in the forecast and a trip to Galveston planned for the weekend, but I worked up some things I can easily do in the living room to help me until then.

🤞🤞🤞 for a speedy return to low-80 rounds or better!!!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Went to a practice range yesterday with the kids (5-girl and 2-boy).  The boy is a machine! Hit went through 100 balls and was mad that he was out lol.  I probably got 20-30 swings in, but did well with my focus of ball first cantact and watching impact in those few swings.  I was really able to get some work in at the short game area as the kiddo's played in the sand 😂

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Messed around with ball position to see if I can get some more height on my iron shots. I've always played most iron shots out of the middle of my stance because I had the tendency to hang back when I started playing. That's not too much of an issue for me now, thankfully and moving the ball up an inch or so did two things today - first, I got a little more height which is nice, and second my divots were a lot more shallow. Now, this was one day - we'll see how things go after a few more attempts at this. We all know what it's like to try something and go "aha!" and then it never works right again 😂

I'm tempted to once again put the drivers away and just use my 3w or Heavenwood off the tee on longer holes. The HWood has always been so consistent for me off the deck or tee, today I couldn't hit the D7 or the Mini Bertha to save my life. But the HWood was fine, even bleh shots still would have put me in the fairway.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Today I/We used my favourite practice round. 

basically I play with my mate who’s same handicap. We both tee off then use the location of the worst ball for both our next shots. Repeat until the ball is in the hole. 

It does a few things I enjoy..

adds competition into practice and puts both players in position they’re not usually in. 

was super enjoyable and I feel much more confident going into match play again. The social aspect of it is also huge. 

Edited by PankaGolf

"C'mon be good"

Had a really good range session this afternoon. Jackson was able to come with me as school had to close early due a water issue that required them to turn it off, which meant the kids needed to be released early.  I wanted to go to the range on lunch today anyway, so it was a perfect storm.  

I had done a planemate workout earlier in the day and still felt like I had it on when I was loosening up with some chips and pitches.  

Got into some longer shots and was peppering this flag at about 100 yards.  I liked this one a lot because I swing down ever so slightly under the plane of my takeaway, which is new for me.  

The real highlight was the long game though.  I set a new personal best swing speed!

D54281A7-863E-42B6-8EC9-F4A8BD7AAED5.jpeg.da028d44d00298500051cf0255b5cbfe.jpeg

Still not quite in the @Chip Strokes club, but I consistently hit balls in the 114-116 range today.  I had been getting a little frustrated with some of my drives lately to the point I decided to adjust until I felt like I was hitting good shots.  I ended up going to the full +1.5* setting on Speedzone to help close the face, as well as taking a slightly stronger top hand.  It appears to have worked, well at least for today!

A few things stand out to me there.  

1. The sound.  I still LOVE the sound of the Speedzone, and it seems to get better with more speed.  This swing registered 114 on the radar.

2. More planemate progress.  Club face and spine are a nice match here

6F4A026E-E1FB-47EC-B809-B4824DDDA836.jpeg.868ad31214d3e7bb095a69c28ec6ab1a.jpeg

3. Whoa!  I actually loaded the shaft!

FF564344-C08E-4049-92E4-C1E67A071C7E.jpeg.ba58b511897478801a695e585a211fc9.jpeg

On top of that, Jackson had a blast.  

Jackson and I will be playing with my Dad and brother on Sunday, so we’ll see if we’re still both hitting bombs, but until then… well, Jacksons sign off is probably better

34C34A47-BEC6-47F8-A237-77C05DD770AC.jpeg.75da8c324b1def4145c4fa84fbe58855.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

17 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Had a really good range session this afternoon. Jackson was able to come with me as school had to close early due a water issue that required them to turn it off, which meant the kids needed to be released early.  I wanted to go to the range on lunch today anyway, so it was a perfect storm.  

I had done a planemate workout earlier in the day and still felt like I had it on when I was loosening up with some chips and pitches.  

Got into some longer shots and was peppering this flag at about 100 yards.  I liked this one a lot because I swing down ever so slightly under the plane of my takeaway, which is new for me.  

The real highlight was the long game though.  I set a new personal best swing speed!

Still not quite in the @Chip Strokes club, but I consistently hit balls in the 114-116 range today.  I had been getting a little frustrated with some of my drives lately to the point I decided to adjust until I felt like I was hitting good shots.  I ended up going to the full +1.5* setting on Speedzone to help close the face, as well as taking a slightly stronger top hand.  It appears to have worked, well at least for today!

1. The sound.  I still LOVE the sound of the Speedzone, and it seems to get better with more speed.  This swing registered 114 on the radar.

Jackson and I will be playing with my Dad and brother on Sunday, so we’ll see if we’re still both hitting bombs, but until then… well, Jacksons sign off is probably better

nasty bombs!!!

you’re getting fast, dude!!

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

25 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Your swing is looking great and those are some wicked fast swings with the driver. Jackson's swing and high five are the biggest highlights of the video. Man, he looked pumped to be hitting bombs. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Your swing is looking great and those are some wicked fast swings with the driver. Jackson's swing and high five are the biggest highlights of the video. Man, he looked pumped to be hitting bombs. 

He can't get enough of it!  It's fun to play with him... but he's already telling me he's gonna kick my butt.  haha

I'm looking forward to playing with him, my brother, and my dad this weekend.  It will be the first time we've all done that!  I even got the old man to agree to an early tee time by reminding him of that fact.

14 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

He can't get enough of it!  It's fun to play with him... but he's already telling me he's gonna kick my butt.  haha

I'm looking forward to playing with him, my brother, and my dad this weekend.  It will be the first time we've all done that!  I even got the old man to agree to an early tee time by reminding him of that fact.

That's awesome that he's already thrown down the gauntlet and let you know you're in his sights. I'm just glad you're all getting to play together this weekend. That should be a great family outing and sounds like the making of some wonderful memories. 

Have been totally lost on the tee box as of late, so I went out today with only a single wedge and then nothing but long irons, hybrids and driver.

Driver still isn't good at all (lesson on Wednesday and I will make that the focus), but by the end of my buckets I started finding some good things with all of the other clubs. I still default to bringing the club way inside on the backswing and it leads to pushes and hooks, especially with the longer clubs. Toward the end of the session, I really focused on "standing up the umbrella" or taking the club back along the shaft line (thanks, @GolfSpy_CS for that thought) and then keeping the right shoulder up on the downswing. Made some really nice contact and hit some dead straight shots, which is a rarity for me.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 5/26/2021 at 9:27 AM, cjeffs12 said:

the problem is I woke up today and completely forgot it

..the only thing I remember is that my muscles have no memory ...
😆

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

So I’ve been working at this for over 3 years. When I started my driver swing speed was mid 80’s. Slowly but surely it’s been coming up.  It made its way into the 90’s and stayed in the low 90’s until last fall when I started doing PT. 

Today I hit three straight drives with a rapsodo measured SS of 100 mph.  

I also hit a bunch of driver/GW combos as that will be my most likely combo on the first hole tomorrow in league.  

I also hit a few 7 irons and then 3 gorgeous 7 woods at a flag that was 187 - all of them rolled out past that flag. 

Ended with 5 or 6 54 degree wedges and then went to putt for a bit. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I love a nice quiet range in the morning 🙂 

7B4B8901-2CA2-4A61-A2D3-794679720EBE.jpeg.b14adf8028ccd17061371ce859c52e76.jpeg

I hit a small bucket, started with wedges and went through the bag. I tried to feel like everything was a 3/4 punch shot and it’s incredible how much distance I get doing that. I stay connected and in control. 

Tried some drivers and mini drivers but the 4w beat them both on consistency and flight. I’m not even bringing driver to my next round. I’m fine with the mini on holes that have wide fairways but for anything else I’m just hitting 4w off the tee and let’s see how many penalties I get & what my score is. 

4 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Had an “ah-ha” moment at the 12th hole this past Sunday. Pushed my tee shot to the right, which left me with a second shot that did allow me to get a good shoulder turn, but only a 3-qtr swing ... for an overhanging tree branch was in the way of a full swing. 

Additionally, just up ahead was another tree with low branches that I wanted to get the ball under. I thought to myself at the time, ‘back swing like Finau, follow through like Fleetwood’ ... well, the result was eye opening. A flighted low piercing 7i that went under the tree branch up ahead, and left me with a great 3rd shot into the green.

Mimicked that swing for the remaining holes and my iron game was on fire. Ended up shooting a 39 on the back ... best 9 hole score in quite some time.

Visited the range yesterday with the same idea in mind ... short, compact, compressed backswing, with a low follow-thru and finish. (Yes, I did get new iron heads, soon before long there’ll be scuffs all over the face 😂) Here’s to hoping that those swing thoughts will be the ONLY thought processes as I’m standing over my iron shots going fwd. 

Our two posts back to back are interesting and a bit funny 🙂

What's even funnier is a FB memory popped up today of a picture of me at a driving range a few years ago with the caption about a more compact swing that "felt slower" resulted in 10+ yards more per shot. Funny how we sometimes never learn our lesson about not swinging out of our shoes? 

An overhanging tree branch led to my one and only ace. The tee box markers were right under a tree that was overhanging a stone wall on the course's property line. So I felt like I could only go back halfway to what I was used to, so I took one club longer and swung back to what felt like waist-high. The ball took one hop and went into the cup. 

Again - maybe I'll finally learn one of these days!

16 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Our two posts back to back are interesting and a bit funny 🙂

What's even funnier is a FB memory popped up today of a picture of me at a driving range a few years ago with the caption about a more compact swing that "felt slower" resulted in 10+ yards more per shot. Funny how we sometimes never learn our lesson about not swinging out of our shoes? 

An overhanging tree branch led to my one and only ace. The tee box markers were right under a tree that was overhanging a stone wall on the course's property line. So I felt like I could only go back halfway to what I was used to, so I took one club longer and swung back to what felt like waist-high. The ball took one hop and went into the cup. 

Again - maybe I'll finally learn one of these days!

... Good stuff guys and this is one of the reasons taking lessons is never a bad idea. One thing I learned very quickly teaching is what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing is almost always 2 different things. I would take golfers with backswings that looked like a very poor imitation of John Daly and ask them to take a backswing no more than 1/2 way back. If they were going to err, then err on the side of over doing it and it is just mind boggling to watch them swing  to 90 maybe even 95% of their normal swing and have them say "I felt like I swung halfway and it almost felt like a chip!" For most without a specific drill or me standing there with a club held over their shoulder so they would hit it when swinging more than 50% of their normal backswing length, they had little chance of significantly shortening their swing. 

... That said, making discoveries on your own is always a good thing. Regardless of how much shorter your swing actually is, making good contact and hitting good shots is the goal and it seems like both of you have accomplished that. 🤗 Just be aware that we tend to go in 2 different directions when incorporating something new into our swings. Since we know it works we start to over do the move, which is pretty natural and under the watchful eye of an instructor we can keep that in check. Really that is all most Tour  instructors do, make sure they don't over do anything and stop them before they do. Watching these guys on the range make a Pro move their hands 1/2" forward or back at address and then seeing the player start really hitting it pure is really telling. The second tendency is the brain wants to go back to what is comfortable so the swing will start getting longer and longer a tiny bit at a time. Then tension can set in as you are trying to shorten the swing when it is back to its' normal length and that can cause tension and poor shots and again very natural. Of course this is one of the reasons the golf swing is so difficult to execute day in and day out. Chip Beck shoots a 59 and then loses his card the next year and never made it back being an extreme example. 

... So what I am saying is doing something new, especially when it works is a great idea and something we all do, but don't be surprised if the change doesn't become permanent without an instructor keeping an eye on the changes. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

58 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Funny how we sometimes never learn our lesson about not swinging out of our shoes?

Truer words have never been more spoken! Lol 

But kidding aside, it really is amazing how we know of certain swing ideas we should execute, but rarely do. I attribute that to informational overload. And I know this is easier said than done, but I am consciously going to practice and play with that swing thought every time going fwd until it's ingrained in my swing DNA. 

MGS Spies will be my accountability partners! 🤣

Edited by mikeanthony

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... So what I am saying is doing something new, especially when it works is a great idea and something we all do, but don't be surprised if the change doesn't become permanent without an instructor keeping an eye on the changes. 

Completely agreed. I recently learned "my guy" has relocated for day job, and I'll need to find someone new to work with. I still use the tips/thoughts he gave me a few years back, and I'll say again - he single handedly, in the span of about 5 mins, fixed a huge flaw that I spent nearly 2 years trying to self-diagnose. 

Poorly. Trying to get used to an indoor simulator for when the Max LS comes in. This time the space was much larger and more comfortable, but still my delivery is off. Short irons are ok, but the issue seems to be that I am massively coming over the top, with driver it was so bad that the QC Quad could not see I had four dots on it I was so out to on. On the plus side I do hit up on the driver so there is that. 

The guy who runs it is an instructor, but a little pricey but with how bad it was I am certainly considering it. My swing has been better just have a bit of a flying elbow right now. Back to basics on keeping that shoulder tucked in and exaggerating the move for now. When I was playing a lot and we'll in high school I was a bit of a picker with shallow divots, but today I was massively down on my irons. Again speaks to me dropping on the club like a sledge hammer.

Unfortunately right now it kinda an either or situation. I could pay for some lessons though I won't get to play much, or I get okay a bit more before my third child arrives this fall. So for now I go it alone and see if I can get back to a better place. Though if it does not get much better after some time its probably time for my first lesson.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Solid morning at the range today. Great flight from woods off the tee and I've noticed that my iron flight has straightened out considerably over the past few weeks. Excited to get out to play a round soon and see if it translates to the course.

Went to the range during lunch yesterday...amidst all the smoke from the fires in SE AZ & SW NM.  Finally got to hit my 4-5 iron ZX5s, and I really like them, but I have some work to do...everything seemed to be hooking too much.  I have a tournament this Saturday and it's supposed to get up to 103*.  I've been working on my tempo and firing my hips through, trying to get better rotation.  My last 3 rounds have all been the best of the year to this point (85,84,83) so I hope I can keep it going, but I'll be playing a track (NM Tech) that I've only played once before, which was a tournament last year and shot my best tournament round to that point...86.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗