What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not unheard of.  If we don't focus on the clubhead,   there are lots of potential variables:  total club weight, swing weight, head weight,  shaft,  shaft length lie angle, etc that could make the club a better fit for your game.   As an MGS most wanted tester, I hit lot of clubs from players clubs through SGI and even within the same category I hit them differently and get different results.  

All true.  The lofts on the AP2s are 3 degrees weaker than my irons.  Thats possibly why I was able to get them up in the air with relative ease.  Except for the 4 iron.  That's a beast beyond my skills in that type of iron.  Now I just need Covid to die down.  The nearest two fitterest to me are in high infection rate areas.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Figured I should hit my new irons before putting them in play for a four day tournament. I think they fit me really well. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

All true.  The lofts on the AP2s are 3 degrees weaker than my irons.  Thats possibly why I was able to get them up in the air with relative ease.  Except for the 4 iron.  That's a beast beyond my skills in that type of iron.  Now I just need Covid to die down.  The nearest two fitterest to me are in high infection rate areas.

Why even try to hit a 4 iron?   6 is the longest iron I carry and fill the rest of the gaps with hybrids;  fairway woods would launch even higher.   I don't hit the 5 irons during testing consistent enough to want to put one in my bag.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Why even try to hit a 4 iron?   6 is the longest iron I carry and fill the rest of the gaps with hybrids;  fairway woods would launch even higher.   I don't hit the 5 irons during testing consistent enough to want to put one in my bag.

I'm thinking about ditching my 5 iron. Can sometimes hit it fine, but its not consistent.

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Because it was there.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Touched my  clubs  for 1st time in 3 weeks. Game had been horrid and a driver fitting convinced me to change my grip. Work, a 2nd job doing club repair  bad game' crowded courses, and time hasnt allowed me to do much besides work and more work.Hit the range tonight  with my new grip and finally dialed  it in.Went out with 8-gw and hit a bucket. Best practice in months. High' straight  and able to move the ball like i want to..

New life to the game for sure

• Like 4

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

IMG_2143.JPG

Went to the range and was able to hit balls for a full hour and a half today. It was only 88, felt like 91, overcast, light breeze, about as good as it gets here in August.

Wanted to test drives ver swing speed so that’s where I started first, dynamic warm up right to driver 95,95, 101, 96,96. Very pleased with that.

Then measured a few targets 121, 125, 157. Hit wedges to the 121, perfect distance 9 iron to the 125 mostly long, 7 iron to the 157 - it was really between 6 and 7 to me - well struck 7’s were there, all the 6’s were past it.

Then I played a simulated 9 based on the course I will play tomorrow afternoon. My driver swing speed ran from 93-98 so it stayed up throughout the session.

Finished off with some 56’s at a flag that was 77. I can hit that club around 85 when I’m swinging full but don’t like to ever do that with a wedge. 77 was perfect and I hit it well.

Overall a good day. Getting more acclimated to the D7’s and liking them. Really looking forward to the D7 forged!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Chipping and putting after work today. I don’t know what was going on but I chipped in 3 times in 20 minutes! Pretty much random stuff too, toss three balls, accept the lie and hit the 52 towards the hole.

• Like 7

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

It's hot here!!  Last night the temp never dropped below 80º and it made it to 108º for the third straight day.  Too hot to play for my wife, so I've taken the week off so far.  However, I went to the course at 7am to practice.  Hit a few balls on the range, then some pitch shots but spent most of my time on the putting green.  I have neglected my putting practice most of this year.  We have no holes to putt toward, so very few players even use the putting green to warm up before a round.  I had the green all to myself.  Since I haven't been practicing, I have had more 3-putts than I am used to.  That has to change!!

Placed 2 tees in the middle of the green about a cup-width apart.  Worked on 15-20 footers... lining up the ball and putter like playing, making the stroke, focusing on getting the ball to the tees.  I only putt two balls at a time... rinse and repeat at different distances.  Both balls must be within a foot of the tees, but not short.  I putt from both sides of the tees, then move a tee to give me a different angle.  

Felt good to spend the practice time, and I will head back again tomorrow.  More putting practice and chip shots.  With no one on the putting green, I can chip from 10 feet to 20 yards.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's hot here!!  Last night the temp never dropped below 80º and it made it to 108º for the third straight day.  Too hot to play for my wife, so I've taken the week off so far.  However, I went to the course at 7am to practice.  Hit a few balls on the range, then some pitch shots but spent most of my time on the putting green.  I have neglected my putting practice most of this year.  We have no holes to putt toward, so very few players even use the putting green to warm up before a round.  I had the green all to myself.  Since I haven't been practicing, I have had more 3-putts than I am used to.  That has to change!!
Placed 2 tees in the middle of the green about a cup-width apart.  Worked on 15-20 footers... lining up the ball and putter like playing, making the stroke, focusing on getting the ball to the tees.  I only putt two balls at a time... rinse and repeat at different distances.  Both balls must be within a foot of the tees, but not short.  I putt from both sides of the tees, then move a tee to give me a different angle.  
Felt good to spend the practice time, and I will head back again tomorrow.  More putting practice and chip shots.  With no one on the putting green, I can chip from 10 feet to 20 yards.

Would no holes on the practice green be the norm at this time? Ours all have holes with noodles in them.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

Would no holes on the practice green be the norm at this time? Ours all have holes with noodles in them.

I have only been to one other course in my area since COVID started.  It had shallow holes with the mini flagsticks, but the greens are in bad shape.  Our course has not put holes in the green since we opened up in early May.  We are a muni, and I think it is a cost-saving measure as well as a safety measure.  They have cut back some of the maintenance and shop staff, no new sand in bunkers, and there hasn't been as much done for weed and pest control as in the past.  Course still looks and plays OK, but it's subtly different.  

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hit a small bucket at lunch today. Felt good to go out and hit a few, mostly wedges and short irons. Trying to "squish the bug" when I start the downswing, as I could feel myself falling backwards on a few shots last week on the course.

I was a little distracted watching a guy hit balls a few bays down. He'd make a full backswing, then on the downswing his body would just abruptly stop when he got back to his setup position, and his arms would slingshot the rest of the way through. He wasn't killing the ball but everything was dead straight. 

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I try to practice twice a week. One day I work on chipping & Putting. The other day full swing. One thing I found with Covid is I have been practicing more because besides playing there is nothing else to do. I have lowered my handicap 6 strokes this year that I attribute to my more aggressive short game which came with the practice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Ping G20

5 wood: Titleist 917f

irons Taylormade M2 6-PW

hybrids Taylormade 4 and 5

wedges: Titleist SM5 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

Been struggling with a driver for quite some time and have been testing a few.  Watching a bunch of videos on how to shallow out my swing as it is as bad as ever.  Last night I worked on flattening swing out by focusing on hip turn on the backswing, slight grip adjust, keeping ball behind the ball, and steady my head.  It helped and I could see it in the ball flight and my divot.  Not perfect, but a huge improvement. 

Lack of practice and play has me very confused on how to swing a golf club. 

• Like 3

5W- Alpha XS

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Been struggling with a driver for quite some time and have been testing a few.  Watching a bunch of videos on how to shallow out my swing as it is as bad as ever.  Last night I worked on flattening swing out by focusing on hip turn on the backswing, slight grip adjust, keeping ball behind the ball, and steady my head.  It helped and I could see it in the ball flight and my divot.  Not perfect, but a huge improvement. 

Glad your improving. Have you considered live lessons or sending a video to a certified instructor?

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

I cut a lot of grass yesterday and was a bit stiff by the afternoon so I only hit about thirty 50yd wedges and practiced putting for about 1/2 hour.  I found a straight 10' putt and chalked a line, used a ball with a stripe around it and practiced getting the ball to roll with no stripe wobble along the chalk line.  I had done a bit of work to my putting set up earlier this year and I still have to think about it so doing sessions like this helps make it more natural.  

• Like 2

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

Practiced four and six foot putts in between sets of lifting this morning in the garage.

• Like 3

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

21 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Sometimes I get info overload watching too many lesson videos and hitting too many into the net rather than playing and seeing ball flight.  I have to mentally flush everything and go natural for a session to reset things. 

I have to ask...what is the "keeping the ball behind the ball" swing thought?  

• Like 1

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Sometimes I get info overload watching too many lesson videos and hitting too many into the net rather than playing and seeing ball flight.  I have to mentally flush everything and go natural for a session to reset things. 

I have to ask...what is the "keeping the ball behind the ball" swing thought?  

The thought is a typo ….head behind ball.  I like to keep my swing simple and look for simple fixes rather than overload too many swing thoughts.  Playing to what was a 6 ish hdcp, would be no longer a 6 with my current swing.  With my speed and I would say experience, I should be getting upper 200's with my drive, but can seem to get anywhere near that anymore. 

• Like 3

5W- Alpha XS

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I went to the range today with a couple of thoughts in mind. The first was working on wrist angle at impact, I tend to get flippy at contact and launch the ball high and in more of an arch than a nice line. I started out by addressing the ball with the impact position I wished to achieve, took a half swing, and just work on getting the feeling of impact. I hit several nice shots toward the 100 yard marker before moving on to full swings. They turned out nice, for the most part. I did have a couple that I chunked because I didn't get my weight shifted to my left side. 

I also worked on a drill for driver I saw on a Danny Maude video to hit up on the ball by placing a tee a few inches in front of the ball and trying not to hit the front tee. I chunked driver on the first shot and after that I was able to clear it. I had a decent shot pattern, for me, on the foot spray that was in the clubface. Middle low to high with one that was center and toward the heel. 20200823_162806-01.jpeg.8f64cc0d774f7f603faa25d465b81a0c.jpeg

I'm usually all over the place, so that is progress. 

I tried to get some feedback from the spray on my irons, but the grass and balls were wet so the spray got somewhat washed off at impact. 

• Like 6
19 hours ago, pulledabill said:

The thought is a typo ….head behind ball.  I like to keep my swing simple and look for simple fixes rather than overload too many swing thoughts.  Playing to what was a 6 ish hdcp, would be no longer a 6 with my current swing.  With my speed and I would say experience, I should be getting upper 200's with my drive, but can seem to get anywhere near that anymore. 

😀  ohh a typo......And here i thought it was going to be something along the line of 'T**s to the Target' that the spousal unit and her lady friends use a a reminder to turn toward the target on the follow through!  

• Like 2

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB