What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

Went to the range and gave the 10 finger grip a try. It works really well for me with my woods, not so hot with my irons. So for now it’s going to be overlap with irons, 10 finger with 7 wood up.

Oh and did I mention it’s hot? 112 with the heat index when I hit to the range at 415. An hour was about all that I could handle

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hit a few 7 irons, and christened the new (2nd hand) 5 wood.     I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the Cobra F8 fairways. I definitely need to work on m

Posted Images

Worked on short game today.   MGS had an open slot for me to come in and use the GC Quad so I worked on hitting 30-90 yard shots with my 54* wedge.  Some distances felt really natural and I struggled with others.  Thinking I am going to avoid the 40-60 yard range;  just hard to make myself hit those distances.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I hit a small bucket today working on my transition. I picked up on a few things this weekend when I played at an executive course with my son and I wanted to work on them. Don't want to jinx anything, but it was one of the best range sessions I've had in a while. My driver was ON, as were my irons. Wedges I'm trying to take longer swings to cover gaps and those were OK but still need some work. But I was really happy with how the bulk of the bucket went. When I start my downswing by squishing the bug and THEN turning on the gas, good things happen. When I turn on the gas without squishing the bug... well, let's just say it ain't pretty. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Solid practice session last night. Sticking with a few changes ive made and it has helped. I widened my stance but narrowed it back up as I was tugging the ball off line. Driver is better thanks to opening up stance a bit. Still not great distance but better. 

• Like 4

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I took off work early today to hear out and buy a couple of new wedges. I ended up getting two Vokey SM7 wedges in 52 and 56 and took them to the range after going home to get the rest of my gear. I wasn't striking the ball well to start out, initially I thought I was affected by the sound of the guy hitting behind me. Thump, click, thump, click. He was chunking his irons in a way that made this guy proud...then it started for me. Hit some good shots and am really liking what I'm seeing from the Vokeys, they're right on the distances I need and are spinning like crazy.

I didn't figure out my problems until I hit my first driver shot, I was starting the backswing with my arms and once I would just rotate back and through, the magic happened. That first shot was high toe, I'm talking almost of the face high and toe. After making an adjustment, I was seeing the best ball flight I've seen in a long time. That bleed over into my irons and wedges and I left the range feeling good about my game. 

• Like 9

After a less than stellar weekend of golf, I went to the range to work out a few issues.  Mondays have been my walking round with the old guys for the past 5 years, but we haven't played since early June.  The 80-year old got cellulitis infection in one leg and hasn't been to the course until a couple of weeks ago.  The 77-year old has been on the Oregon coast, apparently getting away from the heat.  I'm the only idiot stoopid enough to play in the heat.  Both guys were there this morning but only hitting balls, not playing.  It was nice to chat with them anyway.  

After not hitting one good drive all weekend, I was striping (for me... lol) some very good shots this morning.  Not sure what the difference was, but I would have taken any of them on the last couple of days.  Our driving range is very similar to our fairways and rough with mounds in the range with a flat green on top of the mounds.  The greens are large enough to land a ball and have it stay there.  You can't see the ball land when it goes over a mound.  We have a color-coded stakes around 50(orange), 110(green), 170(blue), and 230(black) yards, according to the yardage sign at the middle of the range on the right side.  I've never measured the stakes, since using range balls doesn't give me a good indication of distance.  I use the range for direction, trajectory and shot shape practice.  The teeing area can move plus or minus 15 yards.  Today the teeing area was near the back of the range, so add maybe 13 yards.  I was hitting straight shots that were flying over the blue green, but can't really tell how far over.  I have never seen my ball bounce up the mound with the black stake on the green.

I don't carry a laser, but my buddy checked each stake.  All of the stakes except for the 230 black stake were very close to the yardage listed on the sign.  However, from where we were near the back of the range the 230 black stake was 313 yards!!  No wonder I couldn't see my ball bounce up that mound.  Now I don't feel so bad.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 8/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I took off work early today to hear out and buy a couple of new wedges. I ended up getting two Vokey SM7 wedges in 52 and 56 and took them to the range after going home to get the rest of my gear. I wasn't striking the ball well to start out, initially I thought I was affected by the sound of the guy hitting behind me. Thump, click, thump, click. He was chunking his irons in a way that made this guy proud...then it started for me. Hit some good shots and am really liking what I'm seeing from the Vokeys, they're right on the distances I need and are spinning like crazy.

I didn't figure out my problems until I hit my first driver shot, I was starting the backswing with my arms and once I would just rotate back and through, the magic happened. That first shot was high toe, I'm talking almost of the face high and toe. After making an adjustment, I was seeing the best ball flight I've seen in a long time. That bleed over into my irons and wedges and I left the range feeling good about my game. 

I am a high toe hitter. Sometimes too far toe side. End up being super low spin with driver.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Have burned through a couple hundred range balls since my lesson last Thursday, plus two rounds. I just cannot for the life of me stop my shoulders from overtaking my downswing. Heading into my lesson I had basically grooved an inside takeaway followed by a drop of the club to the inside further with a hard shoulder turn. Led to all sorts of issues (pulls, pull draws, massive uncontrollable push draws), so during my lesson Thursday we worked on getting on plane during the backswing and then my focus was to let my hands beat my shoulders back to the ball. 

I actually had a pretty decent range session on Saturday, but really struggled during my round Sunday and for the first four holes on Tuesday (went +10 on the first four holes and then +3 over the last 14), but my lunchtime range sessions just have been a huge struggle. Today I think I hit about four "good" shots in a bucket of 48 balls. 

My biggest frustration with my lessons right now is that for the past couple of lessons, after about 5 minutes of making a small change or tweak, I start doing things "right" and get fantastic results for the remainder of the lesson. But as soon as I go out on my own I just cannot get the same feels/results. Right now it just feels like I'm playing about the same as I did last fall following my first lesson (grip change), with exception to the driver which has been pretty OK. 

I guess another way to phrase it would be that I feel like I focus on making one change and then everything else I've changed up until that point just falls apart. So each month's lesson is just fixing everything I've broken trying to fix something else. Frustrating!

I'm still playing slightly better golf than I did last season, so that progress is there, but this is all starting to wear a bit on me mentally...

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.4 (Last Updated Oct. 22, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Nice range session today. 106 heat index so not a long one but every 8 iron was at and past the flags at 136 and 138.

6 iron was a bit short of the 172 flag. 5 iron remains the crap out club for me. When I hit it well, it went past 172, when I hit it poorly, it really sucked. 9 woods would all have been on the green, all right around that 172 carry but where they hit, they stayed.

The key was getting my left hip open right after I put my left foot down. When I do that, I hit the ball beautifully

• Like 7

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

My daughter got bored after 3 holes, so we hit the range...

I hit about 150 balls at the Mike Bender Wedge Range... dialing in my wedge game from 30 to 90 yards. Love this exercise!

• Like 6

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

2 small buckets today, almost all wedges and 7i. Trying to figure out why I had a lot of topped shots during my round on Wednesday, which is never a problem for me usually. Looks like I'm starting to over-cook having the flat left wrist and bent right wrist at the top of the backswing. My main miss is a wipey fade so I'd rather go in slightly closed than wide open, in my efforts to stay square to closed looks like I've been WAY closed. Some tips from Monte Scheinblum's last two vids helped, just trying to point my thumbs to the sky instead of actively bending/flattening helped out a lot. Hit some great wedge shots and noticed my 7i ballflight was a lot straighter. Driver was decent when I used it for my last 5 balls, although I popped the last one up. Should have walked away with the baby draw I had hit with 2 balls left!

• Like 5

Spent the night at my buddies house and certainly enjoyed a few cocktails.

Stopped by the range on the way home. Yesterday’s fiasco was still leaving sour taste in my mouth. I was determined to figure out what was going on. It didn’t start well but fortunately my teacher was giving a lesson next to me and saw my struggles. He came over, got me closer to the ball and focused on turning back and then swinging hard left coming down. Boom - lots of nice straight solid shots with my wedge.

And no charge for the quickie lesson. :)

I feel for RusstoHerb - as a member I can hit as many or as few balls as I want. I planned on being there for 45 minutes. But I hit 6 gorgeous wedges at the 35 minute mark, had pulled my “next” ball over and thought, “what am I doing? This is how I want to hit them.”

So I left -I wouldn’t have had I paid for a bucket though.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Had to get my car inspected this morning, and gosh darn it - the drive took me right by a local range so I just had to hit a small bucket.

😄

On the good side, the work I put in the other day seems to have stuck for the most part. Lots of great wedges and irons to the target. Driver was OK, had some of my usual misses to the right but I'm sure that'll come around with a little more work.

Disappointed in the range itself, though. Looks like they haven't moved the markers on the grass part of the range in quite some time - I was hitting off of pure dirt. All of the open stations were devoid of any grass. Still better than hitting off of mats... but not by much.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a nice low humidity day so in between weed wacking i got in about 80 swings at the 65 yard mark in the back yard.  Used the 57 and the 53 to practice the high / low shot options.  I had a couple from that yardage at the course last evening and the backyard practice swings made it to the course for a change!!  👍

• Like 3

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5

Ping Heppler Fetch

So I haven’t swung a club in six weeks due to life being in the way so I finally made time to get to the range at a minimum today. Wow. That was an odd range session.

I usually play a fade with the occasional slice and today everything was a draw or was getting topped. Not a terrible draw, everything would have been playable but the topped shots were certainly frustrating. Not sure what I was even doing wrong so I’ll need to hit some balls in the garage later on and try to determine what is going on. 

• Like 4

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

62100907386__EB5F53CF-EA45-40AC-8D69-8F894515AD73.JPGIMG_2200.JPGIMG_2201.JPGIMG_2202.JPG

Went to the range to work on the brief lesson my teacher gave me Saturday - move closer to the ball, take the club back straighter and swing left. (basically visualize hitting a cut which turns out to be straight or a slight draw for me.)

Hit it beautifully - back to where I was for most of the summer. It’s almost always a simple fix where there’s some basic fundamental, ball position, alignment, posture, grip that has gotten off kilter.

Our club now hosts the University of Tampa’s golf team.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

7 hours ago, revkev said:

Hit it beautifully - back to where I was for most of the summer. It’s almost always a simple fix where there’s some basic fundamental, ball position, alignment, posture, grip that has gotten off kilter.

My son wanted to go to the range tonight because he wasn't happy with how he was hitting the ball last week when we played together. His biggest problem is that he's growing so quickly he's constantly re-adjusting to how he needs to hold his clubs, where he needs to put the ball in his stance, etc. Tonight I watched him pounding the ball for the most part, but everything was way off to the right. I had him move the ball up in his stance, and then watched him hit 180 yard 5 irons dead straight. His driver was much straighter as well. With longer arms he just wasn't closing the face in time with the ball in the middle of his stance like his PGA Jr coach had him doing when he was 6-8" shorter.

• Like 5

After my not-so-confident range time this morning, I decided to spend about an hour or so in the garage working on getting things back together. It’s pretty crazy how slowing things down and thinking them through can correct the problems so easily. Ball contact was much better and my swing felt much closer to “normal” for me. 

011E9330-8E57-43EC-A8F9-0D2C0E81F8A9.jpeg

• Like 4

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

I’m off to the range early this morning to try and “shake off” the swing issues from last few weeks. Friday we have the toughest course here, every shot is water, swamp is carry.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m off to the range early this morning to try and “shake off” the swing issues from last few weeks. Friday we have the toughest course here, every shot is water, swamp is carry.

Got to the range right @ 7:00 and got to far left area so I don’t frighten the RH golfers.

Started off a few shots that were AAWWFUL! Settled down and tried to remember the good stuff my instructor went over w me B4 he retired when C19 came here.

Finally started to feel a decent swing again and some good results. Even hit a few decent hybrid shots which have been dogging me for months. Hit off mats, so much rain last week or so it’s a bit sloppy.IMG_1395.JPG

Early Tee Time Friday @ toughest 9 in our area.....swell.

• Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list