Jump to content

What/How did you practice today?


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

56 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Hit a small bucket this morning at the range before "work", I've been chomping at the bit to get back out for some practice for two reasons. First, I was disappointed in my last practice session, which admittedly I wasn't in the right headspace for. Second, @Wedgie very graciously let me borrow a set of One Lengths to try out to see how I liked them.

So after one bucket... please allow me to say I like them VERY MUCH. I started with 7i because I know what my "usual" distance & flight is with that club using range balls. From there I jumped to 5i, which I hit low but holy cow so straight. From there I moved up to wedges which honestly didn't take much adjustment to hit. I've read to just take a normal swing with them and not go slow or hit softer due to the shaft length, and I hit some towering shots. I ended with driver, my first ball was a worm burner and I immediately thought "oh man here we go again". Then I realized that I was tensing up and had a death grip on the downswing. I eased up and relaxed my wrists & arms and what do you know - decent (for me) drivers to end the bucket. 

I'm hoping I can get out again tomorrow to hit these irons some more. 

My pleasure!  On the 5 iron try moving it forward a hair in your stance.  It will make a big difference, at least it does for me.

  • Like 3

Wedgie

 

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hit a few 7 irons, and christened the new (2nd hand) 5 wood.     I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the Cobra F8 fairways. I definitely need to work on m

Posted Images

With a large amount of changes in my golf swing this year, and just now everything starting to feel right, I got on trackman yesterday to confirm distances. Happy to say thanks in part to those changes making better launch conditions I have increased yardage.

  • Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

 Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to my back injury and the air quality outside, I'm stuck inside the house. Practicing properly gripping the club. That is one of the fundamentals that causes me the most problems. I need to always remember to grip the club properly.

  • Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Able to hit the range today. A bit windy but some beautiful views. Been working on getting the hips to start the downswing, I can tend to get my hands a bit too quick. Pretty successful found a groove with about ten balls to go (isn't that always the way). Then I was able to hit the practice green which revealed that I have indeed not been practicing this enough.

IMG_20200918_161251.jpg

IMG_20200918_155441.jpg

IMG_20200918_162707.jpg

  • Like 6

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

damn @ejgaudette that’s a good looking range!

i hit the range today as well but it definitely wasn’t that scenic

Thanks it is scenic though there is a stern price to pay for the view. I only have about a month left before the cold weather arrives here and then a long 5 months or so without golf.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

took my new cobra UDI to the range today to really stretch its legs. man i love this thing so far.

 

Looking like a good hit, and I know you have mentioned you club head speed before and just the sound of the ball coming off that club is something else. Though I will give you, your range is a bit less scenic.

  • Like 3

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Looking like a good hit, and I know you have mentioned you club head speed before and just the sound of the ball coming off that club is something else. Though I will give you, your range is a bit less scenic.

thanks man. i was hitting them well today. working on smoothing the swing out and delivering the face more consistently 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

thanks man. i was hitting them well today. working on smoothing the swing out and delivering the face more consistently 

I imagine there is some speed to give up there. Keep up the hard work.

  • Like 2

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the Hogan's out for another day of practice, along with a special guest....my Spalding driver. Or as my wife likes to call it, my per-cinnamon driver.20200920_161224-01.jpeg.f777f968c2dcca29efcb3989871e07fc.jpeg

My goal today was to relax and rely on my body to swing the club and try not to get too armsy with my swing. The irons are coming along good, I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be with them, but I'm seeing progress. Once I focused on not swaying contact became better and I was enjoying hitting the ball. I will say I was curious about the V sole on the Hogan and I can say with full confidence the turf interaction when you hit four inches behind the ball is actually more pleasant than with other irons I've hit. The divots they make are things of beauty. 

The per-cinnamon still needs some work, but I was able to get more airborne than the last time I tried to hit it. I'll call it a work in progress.

My normal driver seems to be acting nicer than it has over the past few times I've used it, even with my bad contact.20200920_160705-01.jpeg.90fd6646bae746a88415c0e2d7784537.jpeg

I'm guessing I'm living on the high toe just a bit too much. The two I hit center heel were straight up pulls that I worried we're going to fly the net and possibly hit the cars passing by on the road, I've come close before and it's not a great feeling. 

Finished off the session on the putting green hitting chip shots with my new 52, 60, and the set PW. I'm going to have to adjust for less roll out as the combination on new grooves and Srixon Z Star XV's were zipping pretty good. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I took the Hogan's out for another day of practice, along with a special guest....my Spalding driver. Or as my wife likes to call it, my per-cinnamon driver.20200920_161224-01.jpeg.f777f968c2dcca29efcb3989871e07fc.jpeg

My goal today was to relax and rely on my body to swing the club and try not to get too armsy with my swing. The irons are coming along good, I'm still not anywhere near where I want to be with them, but I'm seeing progress. Once I focused on not swaying contact became better and I was enjoying hitting the ball. I will say I was curious about the V sole on the Hogan and I can say with full confidence the turf interaction when you hit four inches behind the ball is actually more pleasant than with other irons I've hit. The divots they make are things of beauty. 

The per-cinnamon still needs some work, but I was able to get more airborne than the last time I tried to hit it. I'll call it a work in progress.

My normal driver seems to be acting nicer than it has over the past few times I've used it, even with my bad contact.20200920_160705-01.jpeg.90fd6646bae746a88415c0e2d7784537.jpeg

I'm guessing I'm living on the high toe just a bit too much. The two I hit center heel were straight up pulls that I worried we're going to fly the net and possibly hit the cars passing by on the road, I've come close before and it's not a great feeling. 

Finished off the session on the putting green hitting chip shots with my new 52, 60, and the set PW. I'm going to have to adjust for less roll out as the combination on new grooves and Srixon Z Star XV's were zipping pretty good. 

Stop saving the sweet spot!!  🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just trying to prolong the life of the driver. 😂

Exactly that's why I try to use the toe and heel as much as possible😬 at least that's what I tell myself.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the greens are slow after aeration, and I can't seem to make myself putt the ball all the way to the hole, I decided that putting practice was something I didn't want to do.  Make sense?  I know that the greens will speed up one of these days.

However, chipping is also an issue since the ball doesn't run out close to the hole, and I'm not getting up and down as often.  So, today I tried to re-calibrate my chipping distance.  I spent an hour this morning on the putting green (no holes so not many people using it).  My bump 'n runs last weekend weren't running, leaving me with longer putts (that I didn't get to the hole!!)  So, I tried different wedges focusing on flying the ball closer to the "hole" (two tees) than I otherwise would have.  I chipped from the fringe and the rough.  20 footers and less were best with my 60º; longer than 20 footers were best with my gap wedge.  

One of my walking buddies was there and stopped to chat.  He said he was struggling with chip shots; hitting fat.  I told him to set up to a chip shot, then told him to close the distance from his toes to the ball by half with his feet together.  Now his chip shot does not arc as much on his backswing, and he is making repeatable contact.  So, both of us had a good practice day.

  • Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was thinking of playing 9 this afternoon .. hoping the Summer crush was starting to wane .. but got to the course and it was jam-packed!! 

And.. no one on the practice green so spent some time there with two balls focusing on distance control; eg. hit one to a target spot and try to put the second right next to it. Things were going ok until two groups rushed in putting and chipping balls all over the place before their tee times, so I decided to go over to the next nearby course to see if there was an open spot on the range (has been regularly filled up).

Turns out there was - and a spot at the upwind end, too - so parked, grabbed my bag and walk up .. head over towards the shop window to pay for a bucket only to find ... somewhere along the line I dropped a $100 bill... ...

(Yeah I know .. who the heck does that other than Al Czervik??!!??)

Looked all around on the ground - maybe I dropped it when I pulled my mask out of my pocket? - while telling myself, "..this is gonna be the most expensive *NON*-range session ever!"

Don't see anything anywhere so grab my bag and walk back to the car feeling stoopit .. I either dropped it in the lot and someone's found it by now, or I dropped it back at the first course and it's long gone.

Look around and under the car, and ... yep there it is ... WHEW!!! Crumple it up and cram it deep down in my pocket and head back up to the range...

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my past few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

Been working on the irons a lot lately, and I think I'm starting to feel where my new left miss is coming from. And still a lot more work to do but hit some solid shots and am making progress.

Here's a shot of that range, looking North towards Long Island Sound (zoom in on the top and you'll see some blue out there)...

20200922_222554.jpg.d9a2a6f844db1a553c18c040d5b7ca26.jpg

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the cart garage!

  • Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Was thinking of playing 9 this afternoon .. hoping the Summer crush was starting to wane .. but got to the course and it was jam-packed!! 

And.. no one on the practice green so spent some time there with two balls focusing on distance control; eg. hit one to a target spot and try to put the second right next to it. Things were going ok until two groups rushed in putting and chipping balls all over the place before their tee times, so I decided to go over to the next nearby course to see if there was an open spot on the range (has been regularly filled up).

Turns out there was - and a spot at the upwind end, too - so parked, grabbed my bag and walk up .. head over towards the shop window to pay for a bucket only to find ... somewhere along the line I dropped a $100 bill... ...

(Yeah I know .. who the heck does that other than Al Czervik??!!??)

Looked all around on the ground - maybe I dropped it when I pulled my mask out of my pocket? - while telling myself, "..this is gonna be the most expensive *NON*-range session ever!"

Don't see anything anywhere so grab my bag and walk back to the car feeling stoopit .. I either dropped it in the lot and someone's found it by now, or I dropped it back at the first course and it's long gone.

Look around and under the car, and ... yep there it is ... WHEW!!! Crumple it up and cram it deep down in my pocket and head back up to the range...

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my party few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

Been working on the irons a lot lately, and I think I'm starting to feel where my new left miss is coming from. And still a lot more work to do but hit some solid shots and am making progress.

Here's a shot of that range, looking North towards Long Island Sound (zoom in on the top and you'll see some blue out there)...

20200922_222554.jpg.d9a2a6f844db1a553c18c040d5b7ca26.jpg

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the car garage!

where’s this range? i wouldn’t mind hitting there

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Was thinking of playing 9 this afternoon .. hoping the Summer crush was starting to wane .. but got to the course and it was jam-packed!! 

And.. no one on the practice green so spent some time there with two balls focusing on distance control; eg. hit one to a target spot and try to put the second right next to it. Things were going ok until two groups rushed in putting and chipping balls all over the place before their tee times, so I decided to go over to the next nearby course to see if there was an open spot on the range (has been regularly filled up).

Turns out there was - and a spot at the upwind end, too - so parked, grabbed my bag and walk up .. head over towards the shop window to pay for a bucket only to find ... somewhere along the line I dropped a $100 bill... ...

(Yeah I know .. who the heck does that other than Al Czervik??!!??)

Looked all around on the ground - maybe I dropped it when I pulled my mask out of my pocket? - while telling myself, "..this is gonna be the most expensive *NON*-range session ever!"

Don't see anything anywhere so grab my bag and walk back to the car feeling stoopit .. I either dropped it in the lot and someone's found it by now, or I dropped it back at the first course and it's long gone.

Look around and under the car, and ... yep there it is ... WHEW!!! Crumple it up and cram it deep down in my pocket and head back up to the range...

.. Where I actually had a pretty decent session working on all the new things from my past few lessons, including - better stance and posture at address, better takeaway, better body movement / lateral weight shift in transition, better path into contact ... you know: just a few simple basics 😉

Been working on the irons a lot lately, and I think I'm starting to feel where my new left miss is coming from. And still a lot more work to do but hit some solid shots and am making progress.

Here's a shot of that range, looking North towards Long Island Sound (zoom in on the top and you'll see some blue out there)...

20200922_222554.jpg.d9a2a6f844db1a553c18c040d5b7ca26.jpg

That black apron in front of the hitting area? That's the roof of the cart garage!

That is a nice view as well 

  • Like 2

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out for a small bucket this morning, mostly stuck with irons and wedges. Wedges and short irons were fine. Great even (for me). 5i-7i on the other hand... blech. Short game area at the local muni where I practice is still closed, no flags or holes so my practice on that part of my game is woefully lacking. 

  • Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...