What/How did you practice today?

You didn't say what kind of shot. Full shot with which club? Around the green chip? Under most circumstances I would pick bare ground as being the easiest, but maybe it depends on the ground. I picture it as not much different than a driving range mat. Yes, i'd have to pick it, but thick grass is tough for my slow swing speed and I can slide a club right under a ball that's sitting on top of a tuft of grass. So. I would say "one".

Aha, good point - and, yes, greenside chipping .. so, no, not a full swing.

The instructor's emphasis in this exercise was that to get the bare lie ball even close - your contact had to be absolutely spot-on. A touch thin or a touch heavy and either way you could send it off the other side of the green....

With the buried lie the lesson was to complete your body turn .. all the through .. full rotation. Speed per se was not as important as hitting through and rotating and finishing.

(still a problem for me)

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

@Shankster @Lacassem @B.Boston @edingc radar came in yesterday, but due to my wife packing our house up last month, i didn’t have batteries. ran out this morning to get some and put it to the tes

Posted Images

I went out yesterday to do some short irons and wedge works.

I forgot that there was a match play tourney and spent two hours watching excellent ball strikers.

Totally screwed me up and set me back as I was subconsciously tried to emulate what I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

I picked up a large amount of range balls at a yard sale! I've been chipping them around in my yard. Working on my short game. I have been hitting my gap wedge a lot. I have a bird house that sits in the middle of my yard and it goes straight up about twenty feet on a pole. I generally pretend that is my flag.

• Like 1

Worked on hybrids and 3Wood for a bucket, had to get some confidence back from hitting off the grass.

Also used a bucket to just dial in my wedges. Kind of like dessert!! Save the fun stuff

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Went to the range tonight where I'll be playing in a Solstice Survival tomorrow. 54 holes. Had the range and putting green to myself. Very cool.

Couple pics. The iron is the z565, glad to see the work is paying off with solid contact.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

The instructor's emphasis in this exercise was that to get the bare lie ball even close - your contact had to be absolutely spot-on. A touch thin or a touch heavy and either way you could send it off the other side of the green....

With the buried lie the lesson was to complete your body turn .. all the through .. full rotation. Speed per se was not as important as hitting through and rotating and finishing.

(still a problem for me)

I was thinking I'd need a definition of good. I suspect that I would good more in a bucket close from the bare lie but I'm sure that I would have the greatest dispersion. I often struggle with the ball on top of the grass lie, we get that fairly frequently here on Bermuda. But I'm always getting it on the green. Ball nestled is tough to control but simple to get to 10 feet every time.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

(still a problem for me)

I believe that I am generally better from a bare lie or tight lies because I get more practice at that.  We don't have Bermuda and the grass is not very thick around the greens, so no buried lies or ball sitting on top.  This is one of the many reasons I struggle when we head south for the winter.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Even bare lie needs a bit of a definition IMO -

If it's bare and firm - no big deal - When I square my 60 there is very little bounce making that shot doable -

However if its bare and sandy or bare and soft - that is exceedingly difficult - we have had lots of those types of shots the past few months because it was such a dry winter - The course was already significantly different last weekend because of some rain - we've had about 3 and a half inches this week - I would imagine that there will be no more bare lies until next February or so. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

This is one of the things that I love about a private club. I called after my funeral today to find out if the range had opened (the course was closed yesterday because of rain).

"Yes Rev it is, would you like us to get your clubs out? "

Here's what I found when I got there twenty minutes later, along with an Orange Gatorade and a cup of ice. They were on the cart because the staff knows that I prefer to practice in a right to left wind and I would need to go to the back range (you can practice in any direction you want at our range.)

I hit that entire bucket and am hopeful that I found something by doing a drill that my old teacher had given me. I hit the 4 wood well once I put a tee about 8 inches behind the ball just inside straight back and then when I went back to my 7 iron I was killing it. I can't recall the last time that I was covering the ball like I was today. I hope it carries to tomorrow's round and beyond.

The two drivers that I hit were absolute bullets. When I hit it well I hit tons of solid shots, not the longest you've ever seen but solid and consistent. If my short game has kept me at a 5.6 I can hardly wait to see what it might do with an ounce of ball striking behind it again.

I'm actually excited about golf again.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Getting reacquainted with my Hogan irons. Hit balls on Tuesday and played on Wednesday with steel shafts and my right elbow feels like it is going to fall off. Looks like it is graphite from here on out for me or at least until I decide to get surgery. Hit about 60 balls and worked on ball flight and tempo.

• Like 3

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 15* AD TP 7x

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 18* AD MT 7x

PXG 0311X Gen 2 23* AD DI 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 5-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:odyssey-small: Toulon Madison Stroke Lab 34"

Hit exactly 100 balls with a 7 iron to find a common miss.

25 balls hard hook

30 balls hard slice

10 balls thin-top

30 balls fat

5 Shanks

What you think?(rounded to avoid odd numbers)

Keep it in the short stuff

Iron mini game on the range with friends.

Someone picks a flag, 2 people get 3 balls each to see who gets closest. Just for bragging rights.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Hit exactly 100 balls with a 7 iron to find a common miss.

25 balls hard hook

30 balls hard slice

10 balls thin-top

30 balls fat

5 Shanks

What you think?(rounded to avoid odd numbers)

Out of 100 balls, there HAS to be one good one, NO?   :blink:

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

no.Im really struggling.Its like I forgot how to play this game

I feel your pain. I hit my "what the hell am I holding" phase of my game this past week. With the minor shoulder injury... took 3 days off and I forgot what a golf club was.

Got a big scramble next weekend with the Pops. Gotta bring my A game. We were -12 last year and came in second behind a -13. Won't be -1 if I don't get my S#it together.

- Alan

• Like 2

I feel your pain. I hit my "what the hell am I holding" phase of my game this past week. With the minor shoulder injury... took 3 days off and I forgot what a golf club was.

Got a big scramble next weekend with the Pops. Gotta bring my A game. We were -12 last year and came in second behind a -13. Won't be -1 if I don't get my S#it together.

- Alan

you sound like a great player Alan.Im sure you will do just fine and have fun.Im going to maybe take a plunge and try the Venetos golf program

Keep it in the short stuff

Totally different grips. Last full round I was playing with interlock and overlap to see what kind of results I would get.  It is amazing how different of a golf swing is used in both grips. I played for many years with overlap but switched to interlock for about 5 years. Now I am trying to see what may be better. 

Took my new toys to the range -- Cobra King OS 5i-PW with Recoil 807s (from a Club Champion fitting). I may be in love ;-) (again)

No, it wasn't all perfect right out of the gate but the upside is I need a few more range sessions and practice rounds to re-learn my distances!

For example, what I thought was my 3/4 gripped-down pitch swing for 100 yards with the PW was flying past and when I realized I was overly manipulating the swing and pace for that flag I had to pick a new target. Similar with 8 and 9 .. so worked on swinging easy and steady and making clean contact.

The 7i - I started catching flush right away and I'm not even gonna say the number I was hitting without​ a few more range sessions and practice rounds. The 6i was not as astounding as the 7 .. first time out, anyway .. but I was hitting it at least as good if not better than any other 6i I've had so far.

The 5i is where it gets more interesting: I already had the King OS 5i, though with a lighter Recoil 460 ES in it (the fitter sent that club to their build shop to get re-shafted). During the fitting it was decided I was doing better with a bit heavier shaft, plus the fitter ordered the clubs with a D4 (!!!??!!!) swing weight .. I'd asked him about this and he assured me it would work for me. Otherwise I can "..come back in anytime for lifetime free adjustments."

Which I may end up doing for the 5i, and possibly the 6i too, but only after a few more times with them at the range and in practice rounds. But on that first trial run I think they felt a bit heavy to me .. like I needed to exert more effort to swing them. We'll see!

Today, I just practiced some putting - seemed to not be doing so well with it this year (not that I'm such a hot putter anyway) and have gone a bit crazy trying out new putters AND new putting grip styles.

So went back to my Odyssey #1W with a conventional grip but worked on...

-- focusing on the front of the ball (and avoiding looking at the putter head);

-- taking a shorter and straighter back backstroke;

-- leading with the back of my left hand through the stroke; and

-- holding my position, especially my head, after the stroke.

Seemed to be starting the ball on-line better and more consistently, and hitting the target distance pretty consistently .. .. but we'll see if all that good stuff translates on to the course...!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I did a very rare range visit today.  Focused on getting center contact with my wedges, as I have been having trouble with approach shots lately.  Used the Dr. Scholl's foot spray, and had a few towards the heel and toe early but the more I focused on a smooth takeaway and tempo, the more I hit the center.  I will probably go again tomorrow just to see if I can repeat it.

• Like 3