What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

I finally took my Hogan irons to my local golf course to get the grips I purchased from @chisag put on them. They'll get them back to me later this week, as no one was there to do it today. 

After dropping them off I picked up a small range bucket to work on the technique I was trying with foam balls in the yard yesterday and alignment. I was surprised the range was open with the rain we had and actually got wet when a small shower came through as I was hitting. I hit all three wedges to different targets from 20-100 yards. Ended up shanking only three balls again and was really happy with the results. The balls were coming off the club face crisp and going close to where I was aiming. 

I'll post pictures up once I get the Hogan's back, I'm excited to see how the new grips will look on them. 

• Like 6
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sorry, missed this. Here ya go.

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I finally took my Hogan irons to my local golf course to get the grips I purchased from @chisag put on them. They'll get them back to me later this week, as no one was there to do it today. 

Next step is learning how to change grips.   Really easy to do and requires minimal tools.  

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

After dropping them off I picked up a small range bucket to work on the technique I was trying with foam balls in the yard yesterday and alignment. I was surprised the range was open with the rain we had and actually got wet when a small shower came through as I was hitting. I hit all three wedges to different targets from 20-100 yards. Ended up shanking only three balls again and was really happy with the results. The balls were coming off the club face crisp and going close to where I was aiming. 

I'll post pictures up once I get the Hogan's back, I'm excited to see how the new grips will look on them. 

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Next step is learning how to change grips.   Really easy to do and requires minimal tools.  

Yep changing grips is easy.

The hard part is trying to save the non-rubber putter grips. Those take a lot of patience if you want to try to save them

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

55 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Yep changing grips is easy.

The hard part is trying to save the non-rubber putter grips. Those take a lot of patience if you want to try to save them

It's something I really want to try. I was hoping my wife would have the upstairs room cleaned out so I can set up a station, but it isn't done, yet. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's something I really want to try. I was hoping my wife would have the upstairs room cleaned out so I can set up a station, but it isn't done, yet. 

I have a station i use for clubmaking tasks, but half the time I change grips outside without a vice grip.

• Like 3

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

had a great lesson with my coach today. we’ve been working a lot on face control. 

in the longer clubs, i tend to leave it open. and in my mid irons and shorter clubs, i tend to pull the ball left. 

today most were finding the middle, which was a great feeling. 

my other tendency is adding loft as i add speed. for as fast as i swing and as far as i can hit the ball, my distances can get killed by wind because my ball flight is way too high. fixing that is up next. here’s one of my better 7iron shots from today. i’d like that loft to be in the 26-27* range. 

3E4F5862-0674-4719-9BA9-E8964289D3B0.jpeg

• Like 5

Practicing short putts and find that for left to right sliders deviate differently than my normal routine    When I read a break that runs toward me I can see one line   But for the break that runs away I have to see “two lines” one from the cup to the apex and another from the ball to apex and kind of join those two lines   I think if I go through this routine and read from both sides I will not miss as many left to righter 

So I what I’m saying is I can can see a draw curve easier.  When force to imagine a fade I have to think of two straight paths intersecting, if that makes any sense 

Edited by Haro
  • Like 2

Was working on putting today indoors, specifically on trying to not let my left hip rotate open. That may sound weird, but it is a really common issue. Here is what Monte had to say on this topic:

"The most common one I see — and it is nearly universal in people who are plagued by poor lag putting — is excess hip rotation. Sometimes there’s even an actual weight shift. Think of it this way; take a backstroke and stop. Rotate your hips 20 degrees without moving anything else. The putter and the arc is now pointed left of your intended line. You have to shove it with your arms and hands not to pull it. Good luck hitting it solid while doing all of that.

I had a golf school in Baltimore and told this story. Ten of the 15 people there assured me they didn’t do that. After 8 people had putted, we were 8-for-8. No. 9 said, “There is no ******* way I am going to move my hips after watching this.”

The entire group laughed after his putt told him he was wrong. The last 6 did everything they could to avoid the fault. We went 15 for 15. Many people are unaware that this issue is so dire. If you add the people that are unaware they have this issue, we are near 100 percent of golfers. I have gotten emails from 8-10 of them telling me how much their putting improved after all they did was focus on minimizing hip rotation and just hitting the ball solid."

• Like 4

Updated 10/6/2020

21 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

had a great lesson with my coach today. we’ve been working a lot on face control. 

in the longer clubs, i tend to leave it open. and in my mid irons and shorter clubs, i tend to pull the ball left. 

today most were finding the middle, which was a great feeling. 

my other tendency is adding loft as i add speed. for as fast as i swing and as far as i can hit the ball, my distances can get killed by wind because my ball flight is way too high. fixing that is up next. here’s one of my better 7iron shots from today. i’d like that loft to be in the 26-27* range. 

3E4F5862-0674-4719-9BA9-E8964289D3B0.jpeg

Holy crap, 142 ball speed with a 7 iron? Once you improve what you want to improve about your swing, you should go into long driving, not joking.

• Like 3

Updated 10/6/2020

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Holy crap, 142 ball speed with a 7 iron? Once you improve what you want to improve about your swing, you should go into long driving, not joking.

haha thank you man, i appreciate that. 

we’ll see where we’re at once i get the swing dialed in and get the right driver in my hands. 

i’m still using a training driver on loan from my coach. it’s a cobra with the loft set down to 7 and a hzrdus smoke black 70g shaft i believe. it’s decently close to the right fit for me. im seeing carry distances at 330+ but the spin is still too high. 

once i’ve got better control of the club face and can control my launch conditions, we’re gonna start fitting me to the right shaft and head and hopefully that carry number is somewhere in the 345-350 range. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Was working on putting today indoors, specifically on trying to not let my left hip rotate open. That may sound weird, but it is a really common issue. Here is what Monte had to say on this topic:

never in a million years would i have thought about my hips during a putting stroke. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

haha thank you man, i appreciate that. 

we’ll see where we’re at once i get the swing dialed in and get the right driver in my hands. 

i’m still using a training driver on loan from my coach. it’s a cobra with the loft set down to 7 and a hzrdus smoke black 70g shaft i believe. it’s decently close to the right fit for me. im seeing carry distances at 330+ but the spin is still too high. 

once i’ve got better control of the club face and can control my launch conditions, we’re gonna start fitting me to the right shaft and head and hopefully that carry number is somewhere in the 345-350 range. 

You need one of these:

HZRDUS-Smoke-Green-PVD.png

• Like 3

Updated 10/6/2020

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

You need one of these:

HZRDUS-Smoke-Green-PVD.png

you’re probably right, that shaft has come up a few times.  i’m excited to see what i end up with.  i’m gonna keep up with lessons all winter and allow my coach (who is also a great club fitter) to keep putting drivers in my hand until we find the right one 

• Like 3

Here is one of my putting drills from today:

• Like 7

Updated 10/6/2020

14 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

you’re probably right, that shaft has come up a few times.  i’m excited to see what i end up with.  i’m gonna keep up with lessons all winter and allow my coach (who is also a great club fitter) to keep putting drivers in my hand until we find the right one 

Or the Texas Rebar shaft that Bryson is using.....

or with that swing speed....just put 3/4" rebar in the driver head!    🔧  📐  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

13 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Here is one of my putting drills from today:

Nice roll on that putt...i like the two tone ball to show the roll pattern!  I just draw a circle around mine but that really stands out.

• Like 1

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

Nice roll on that putt...i like the two tone ball to show the roll pattern!  I just draw a circle around mine but that really stands out.

Just use a sharpie to fill in half the ball. Really easy to make
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

49 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Or the Texas Rebar shaft that Bryson is using.....

or with that swing speed....just put 3/4" rebar in the driver head!    🔧  📐  😀

i haven’t looked into the texas rebar, thanks for the recommendation 

i’m also looking at the LA Golf Trono 

• Like 1

I've had four or five really good buckets of balls since my last lesson. I've been focused on just getting my setup correct and then having a niced relaxed tempo through my swing. It has been working wonders. My driver is still pretty shaky, but I have some keys to work on there as well. I'm still a little bummed about playing the back +14 after playing the front +1 during my round Friday, but to be fair the back has a lot more trouble with out of bounds on six or seven of the holes and several forced carries as well. 

Onward! It's nice to feel like progress is being made again.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Had a really good session at the range today, focusing on shots from 150 yards and in. Arccos has my approach from this range being one of the worst facets of my game. 

I started out shaky with my wedges, hitting the distances but not the trajectory I was looking for. There were lots of bladed shots in there. Went to the irons and once I got my tempo settled down, I hit some pretty good shots. Then I went to focusing on hitting a position I learned from my time with the Planemate and started hitting really good shots. I can't explain it well, but what I was looking for is keeping my left arm connected, body fully turned, and the shaft pointing straight to the ground right before finishing my swing. Screenshot_20201018-160749_Firefox.jpg.597eea9fd95dfb55cec309386c22506a.jpg

Something like that. 

Moved on to 5 wood and I'm continually impressed with the ease I hit the Cobra fairways. I love, love, love, these clubs!

My contact with driver was on today, I didn't have any shots to the extreme corners of the face. I hit 10 shots that were threatening the sweet spot.20201018_150436-01.jpeg.c1d4b1d184be67bdbc1ec10d4ca8fab3.jpeg

I went back to the wedges to finish off the round and was finding better contact after working out my tempo. Almost forgot, I actually tried hitting three balls with my eyes closed after @artful_golfer suggested it to someone. They were a hair thin, but it amazed me that I actually hit them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1