Jump to content

What/How did you practice today?


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Was at MGS last night so I figured I would work on iron shots and try to reduce my toe hits. Definitely something I am struggling with. Ball back in stance has helped a little but not “perfect”. Thought about what Adam Young talks about and changing intent. This helped as well but it made my path go way in to out...7* range. To minimize path I opened my stance which reduced it to the 2* range. The open path gave me better contact location but I had the tendency to hit a straight pull.

It is interesting that I am not appearing to suffer from a lot of distance loss on the toe strikes, maybe because I am holding the club too tight. Got kind of frustrated after a while and really went after the ball and was able to increase distance by 10ish yards. Face,path, and impact location were no better or worse. Obviously have more in the tank based on that, but the whole swing seems messed up.

Gotta get to a range and film my swing.

Lots more practice and direction needed.

  • Like 6

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Was at MGS last night so I figured I would work on iron shots and try to reduce my toe hits. Definitely something I am struggling with. Ball back in stance has helped a little but not “perfect”. Thought about what Adam Young talks about and changing intent. This helped as well but it made my path go way in to out...7* range. To minimize path I opened my stance which reduced it to the 2* range. The open path gave me better contact location but I had the tendency to hit a straight pull.

It is interesting that I am not appearing to suffer from a lot of distance loss on the toe strikes, maybe because I am holding the club too tight. Got kind of frustrated after a while and really went after the ball and was able to increase distance by 10ish yards. Face,path, and impact location were no better or worse. Obviously have more in the tank based on that, but the whole swing seems messed up.

Gotta get to a range and film my swing.

Lots more practice and direction needed.

Ball too far back will cause some of the excessive in to out. GG recommends playing balls off the left ear for stock shots. I’ve seen Monte and some other use left armpit or left chest.

  • Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ball too far back will cause some of the excessive in to out. GG recommends playing balls off the left ear for stock shots. I’ve seen Monte and some other use left armpit or left chest.

I know and I am probably just inside that with the adjustment. I am thinking I stupidly listened to all the rotational stuff and now rotate and pull the club inside which causes the toe strikes. Gonna have to retrain the brain.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cnosil said:


I know and I am probably just inside that with the adjustment. I am thinking I stupidly listened to all the rotational stuff and now rotate and pull the club inside which causes the toe strikes. Gonna have to retrain the brain.

I hear ya. Will be curious to see what you find when you video the swing

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cnosil said:


I know and I am probably just inside that with the adjustment. I am thinking I stupidly listened to all the rotational stuff and now rotate and pull the club inside which causes the toe strikes. Gonna have to retrain the brain.

you could also just stand a little closer or address with the hosel like Adam Scott?

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So my swing adjustments apparently have been working. 2 years ago this time I was -5* today at my fitting I was averaging with all clubs this pretty Number. More to come on a post in boom sticks

 

30A72703-11F3-4AB3-9D9E-FF6894827641.png

  • Like 8

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

So my swing adjustments apparently have been working. 2 years ago this time I was -5* today at my fitting I was averaging with all clubs this pretty Number. More to come on a post in boom sticks

 

30A72703-11F3-4AB3-9D9E-FF6894827641.png

Isn't that a little high for irons through as you want to compress? nice that your driver is looking better 🙂

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

So my swing adjustments apparently have been working. 2 years ago this time I was -5* today at my fitting I was averaging with all clubs this pretty Number. More to come on a post in boom sticks

 

30A72703-11F3-4AB3-9D9E-FF6894827641.png

At my Titleist fitting I was like -5 as well. Hoping my swing changes will make my driver AOA less negative as well. 

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Isn't that a little high for irons through as you want to compress? nice that your driver is looking better 🙂

Was only driver today I would have to go back to my irons and see what it was at my true spec fitting with irons from 2 years ago, But don’t remember any issues in the iron department 

  • Like 1

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
you could also just stand a little closer or address with the hosel like Adam Scott?

Tried it and it doesn’t fix the problem. I have put the ball inside the clubhead and still have toe hits. I have reached the point that I need professional help.
  • Sad 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

So my swing adjustments apparently have been working. 2 years ago this time I was -5* today at my fitting I was averaging with all clubs this pretty Number. More to come on a post in boom sticks

 

30A72703-11F3-4AB3-9D9E-FF6894827641.png

you better tee it up higher and go after it at +8 if you wanna catch up 😘😘

  • Haha 2

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random question, unrelated to anything I am specifically working on at the moment. Just some food for thought.

Exaggeration feels/drills, are they helpful or hurtful for you? For me, I need to be careful with exaggerations. Sometimes i start to over do the exaggerations in real swings, which turns into doing the wrong thing.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Random question, unrelated to anything I am specifically working on at the moment. Just some food for thought.

Exaggeration feels/drills, are they helpful or hurtful for you? For me, I need to be careful with exaggerations. Sometimes i start to over do the exaggerations in real swings, which turns into doing the wrong thing.

They can be helpful as are slow motion swings. Worth exaggerations and drills in general one shouldnt do them for extended periods at a time. Example would be do a few exaggerations of a movement then make swings rinse and repeat for a several cycles. Same with a drill. Hit 3-5 balls with a drill or training aid then hit 3-5 without 

  • Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching this today. AMG is very big on posture and how it affects the swing. They have some similar thoughts as GG, but slightly different posture. They make an interesting point about finding a Tour pro that is in the same height range as you that has posture similar to what is highlighted in the video and then you can compare how your posture looks to theirs as a reference. 

 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Was watching this today. AMG is very big on posture and how it affects the swing. They have some similar thoughts as GG, but slightly different posture. They make an interesting point about finding a Tour pro that is in the same height range as you that has posture similar to what is highlighted in the video and then you can compare how your posture looks to theirs as a reference. 

 

They do have similar thoughts to GG, but lots of instructors talk about the same type of setup. Some coaches I know of like Monte and Bradley Hughes discuss this and Bradley even says the same thing about true weight being on the shoe laces.

The setup is similar to many of the greats. Here’s Jack and Norman. You can see the butt underneath them

B9BCF1A3-7682-4F14-8E8A-69579764B8CD.jpeg

A0AA4317-32E1-4D03-B6E1-B63567F41C3A.jpeg

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They do have similar thoughts to GG, but lots of instructors talk about the same type of setup. Some coaches I know of like Monte and Bradley Hughes discuss this and Bradley even says the same thing about true weight being on the shoe laces.

The setup is similar to many of the greats. Here’s Jack and Norman. You can see the butt underneath them

B9BCF1A3-7682-4F14-8E8A-69579764B8CD.jpeg

A0AA4317-32E1-4D03-B6E1-B63567F41C3A.jpeg

Yep, agree there are lots that setup similarly. Just trying to find a similar height & proportion player. The AMG guys were talking about some of the angles looking different if you try to compare yourself to someone thats not in the height range. I have to go to the LPGA for a better comp.

I am more or less the same height as Bianca. 

maxresdefault.jpg

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dlow206 said:

Yep, agree there are lots that setup similarly. Just trying to find a similar height & proportion player. The AMG guys were talking about some of the angles looking different if you try to compare yourself to someone thats not in the height range. I have to go to the LPGA for a better comp.

I am more or less the same height as Bianca. 

maxresdefault.jpg

That suggestion by them is something I had an instructor tell me back in 2015/16. He had me looking at Molinari. Same height and we’re working a few lbs of each other just distributed differently.

I agree for your build you will see more similarities with lpga players. Danielle Kang, Brooke Henderson are some others you could look at.

On the pga tour someone like Bud Cauley who’s is about 5’7” 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

@dlow206[mention=65848]RickyBobby_PR[/mention]
I started the GG online academy 2 weeks ago; done nothing so far but look at my stance in the mirror, and try to get my butt underneath me. In the mirror I look for my belt to be level, and I’m standing so much closer to the ball. Gonna be a long, long time before I take this to the course...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Yep, agree there are lots that setup similarly. Just trying to find a similar height & proportion player. The AMG guys were talking about some of the angles looking different if you try to compare yourself to someone thats not in the height range. I have to go to the LPGA for a better comp.

I am more or less the same height as Bianca. 

The LPGA swing speeds are more in our general neighborhood also which I think makes certain equipment references more legit for us.  

  • Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* Hybrid, Snake Eyes 23* Hybrid,  PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Micah T said:

@dlow206[mention=65848]RickyBobby_PR[/mention]
I started the GG online academy 2 weeks ago; done nothing so far but look at my stance in the mirror, and try to get my butt underneath me. In the mirror I look for my belt to be level, and I’m standing so much closer to the ball. Gonna be a long, long time before I take this to the course...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Lots of good info in that course especially the first module 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...