What/How did you practice today?

Went to the range for the first time this year.  Man was it embarrassing for the most part.  I made some solid contact at times, but quite a few ugly shots.  Just shows me that I have a ways to go to get back in "form" this year and go back to chasing breaking 100.

I took the Hogans only today and absolutely loved hitting them.  Toe shots weren't as terribly punishing on my hands as I was expecting.  This set has given me the gift of a 4 iron that I can actually hit and that alone made up for the rest of the day.

• Like 8

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

I had to come home from work and do some touch up cleaning on my car because I found out today that my new lease is in and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. I was hoping to get a full practice se

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

Went to the range for the first time this year.  Man was it embarrassing for the most part.  I made some solid contact at times, but quite a few ugly shots.  Just shows me that I have a ways to go to get back in "form" this year and go back to chasing breaking 100.

I took the Hogans only today and absolutely loved hitting them.  Toe shots weren't as terribly punishing on my hands as I was expecting.  This set has given me the gift of a 4 iron that I can actually hit and that alone made up for the rest of the day.

You will get there to breaking 100. I went from 115ish to breaking 100 mostly by being able to hit a competent shot off the tee with a driver. When I was shooting 115, it was snap hook off tee, 100 yards forward but also 100 yards left.

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

Wedges and tempo in the basement. Also had all the snow melted at the high school track so took my son for an easy run. Hopefully it stays clear can start hitting it after he gets out of school when he’s here.

• Like 5

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

3 hours ago, AmishJason said:

I'm going to echo @dlow206 and say just to keep the drive in play and you'll get there. Just work on advancing the ball, keeping it in play, and don't try to pressure yourself to hit every green. Most importantly, have fun getting out and hitting the ball. 

I'm glad to hear you like the Hogan's, they're beautiful clubs and if they feel anything like the set I have, they're a pleasure to hit. I can't wait to see the post where you announce you're in the 90's. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

You will get there to breaking 100. I went from 115ish to breaking 100 mostly by being able to hit a competent shot off the tee with a driver. When I was shooting 115, it was snap hook off tee, 100 yards forward but also 100 yards left.

For the most part my killer has always been being 30 yards into the trees on the right with my driver.  Thank you for the encouragement.

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm going to echo @dlow206 and say just to keep the drive in play and you'll get there. Just work on advancing the ball, keeping it in play, and don't try to pressure yourself to hit every green. Most importantly, have fun getting out and hitting the ball. 

I'm glad to hear you like the Hogan's, they're beautiful clubs and if they feel anything like the set I have, they're a pleasure to hit. I can't wait to see the post where you announce you're in the 90's. 

Thank you for the encouragement.  I was headed in a really good direction last time I played last Fall and I should be able to regain the momentum this Spring.

• Like 1

Since it was 62 degrees when I left work yesterday, I had to go the the range. I took only three clubs - the M5 I bought from @MattF (with both shafts) and my new Zipcore wedges. Most of the time was spent trying to settle on which shaft may be a better fit for me in the M5 and play with the weights a bit to see if there was a noticeable difference given that I have not swung a club in anger since November. When I hit the center of the face, the CK Orange seems to give me the more appealing flight (a little lower) than the Even Flow Blue. The woods at the end of the range are about 265 from the tees according to Google Earth and I had a few bounce into the woods with the Tensei, zero with the Even Flow. Considering how long it's been, I was pleasantly surprised by the dispersion. Nothing that was too hateful.

I think I am going to love the new wedges, but it was a bit hard to say since I was hitting off a mat. If I can trust the range measurements, I was peppering the 100 sign with the 54.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

A little background before I explain what I am working on and what I feel.

Last year, I struggled with being steep and over the top. My over the top move was due to inside takeaway, lack of depth in the backswing, and then handpath in the downswing. I was not actually making the initial steepening move of making the shaft steeper in transition, but will still too steep and swinging too far left.

More recently, as I was working on becoming less steep, I became pretty shallow but with doing some things the wrong way. It can look nice in a video swing, but shallow with losing tilt plus early extension can lead to terrible shots. I would consider some of those shots to be much worse than the over top shots. For example, the 45 degree to the right shot off the toe is probably the shot I hate the most. 

So now, working on swinging while maintaining proper shoulder tilts and not early extending. Coming from recently trying to shallow and developing some bad tendencies, the changes I am working on feel massively over the top and swing massively left. Also the clubface feels massively open at the top to me (i historically have a closed face at the top). Its crazy how different "feel" is from reality.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Updated 4/27/2021

@dlow206 that’s some great progress man! That swing looks real nice. 

I jumped outside today as we hit the mid 50’s right now and got some swings in. I started with my skilz gold flex to loosen up then some 6 irons swings to get in rhythm. 

After that I alternated some swings with my driver and green SuperSpeed stick to try and get this slow winter body moving a bit. I was happy to see myself end up only 3mph down from my max on the green stick. 

overall the iron swings feel so much better than my driver swing right now, which is pretty typical and what I saw from the two times I’ve got on the simulator recently. 

the rest of the week looks nice too, so I’m going to try to get a few level one workouts in and then fire up where I left off on SuperSpeed in the fall. 

• Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

59 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

A little background before I explain what I am working on and what I feel.

Last year, I struggled with being steep and over the top. My over the top move was due to inside takeaway, lack of depth in the backswing, and then handpath in the downswing. I was not actually making the initial steepening move of making the shaft steeper in transition, but will still too steep and swinging too far left.

More recently, as I was working on becoming less steep, I became pretty shallow but with doing some things the wrong way. It can look nice in a video swing, but shallow with losing tilt plus early extension can lead to terrible shots. I would consider some of those shots to be much worse than the over top shots. For example, the 45 degree to the right shot off the toe is probably the shot I hate the most. 

So now, working on swinging while maintaining proper shoulder tilts and not early extending. Coming from recently trying to shallow and developing some bad tendencies, the changes I am working on feel massively over the top and swing massively left. Also the clubface feels massively open at the top to me (i historically have a closed face at the top). Its crazy how different "feel" is from reality.

Lots of things to like about that swing!!  You've come a long way.  Congrats!

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's 60-plus here today. Inching closer to the season. Drove by my course on the way home from work and could have stopped and played No. 17 and No. 18 by the looks of it. Saw some drone shots of the rest of the holes last night and there's still a lot of snow to melt. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow and Thursday, so that will help. I bet I'll be out on the course before the end of the month!

Anyway, now that my backyard is thawed I've been working on chipping and pitching and making some good progress. I watched some Gareth Raflewski stuff last month and made a few changes to my setup. So far, so good. I've never put a lot of time into my short game, so now I'm trying to develop the following four shots:

• Bump and run - Basically a scaled down version of my full-swing, will release and run a lot even with my highest lofted wedge.
  • A true "pitch" - I'm a late wrist set person in my full swing, so in order to pitch I need to feel like I set my wrists from the get-go. Should land softer and run less.
  • A "dead-arm" pitch - I've found if I keep my arms as straight as possible and go around my body more I can hit a higher spinning pitch that stops quickly.
  • A "putting" chip - Putting grip and swing, toe slightly down. Going to be good from off the fringe and trying to practice with all four wedges for different types of run out.

Trying to keep it simple, but more refined than in the past. Last year I'd try to hit every shot around the green like a bump and run and that's not ideal for me. 

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.0 (Last Updated June 17, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 minute ago, edingc said:

It's 60-plus here today. Inching closer to the season. Drove by my course on the way home from work and could have stopped and played No. 17 and No. 18 by the looks of it. Saw some drone shots of the rest of the holes last night and there's still a lot of snow to melt. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow and Thursday, so that will help. I bet I'll be out on the course before the end of the month!

Anyway, now that my backyard is thawed I've been working on chipping and pitching and making some good progress. I watched some Gareth Raflewski stuff last month and made a few changes to my setup. So far, so good. I've never put a lot of time into my short game, so now I'm trying to develop the following four shots:

• Bump and run - Basically a scaled down version of my full-swing, will release a run a lot even with my highest lofted wedge.
  • A true "pitch" - I'm a late wrist set person in my full swing, so in order to pitch I need to feel like I set my wrists from the get-go. Should land softer and run less.
  • A "dead-arm" pitch - I've found if I keep my arms as straight as possible and go around my body more I can hit a higher spinning pitch that stops quickly.
  • A "putting" chip - Putting grip and swing, toe slightly down. Going to be good from off the fringe and trying to practice with all four wedges for different types of run out.

Trying to keep it simple, but more refined than in the past. Last year I'd try to hit every shot around the green like a bump and run and that's not ideal for me. 

The only 4 "short" shots ya need in the arsenal! Good luck, short game has been my focus this year hope it pays off for both of us! This number is not ok:

image.png.75d70736b8e51f2229b855031641c02d.png

Of those 4 shots what are you most comfortable with now?

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

7 minutes ago, edingc said:

• Bump and run - Basically a scaled down version of my full-swing, will release and run a lot even with my highest lofted wedge.

Have you tried blading a wedge? I do that occasionally when I'm close and just off the fringe and am always surprised I don't practice it more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

11 minutes ago, edingc said:

I'm a big fan of the "putt" chip. I don't really duff chip shots anymore when i use this technique. I set up with putting grip, toe down, right hand partially on the shaft, make a putting stroke swing, just with faster tempo. I have noticed it doesn't work that well with the 54 and 58 wedges, unless its a really super short chip shot. I use everything from 5 iron to gap wedge for this shot.

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

The only 4 "short" shots ya need in the arsenal! Good luck, short game has been my focus this year hope it pays off for both of us! This number is not ok:

image.png.75d70736b8e51f2229b855031641c02d.png

Of those 4 shots what are you most comfortable with now?

Arccos doesn't seem to hate my short game as much as my approach and driving games, but my issue last year was that the chipping style I used (a la Mickelson - weight forward, big forward press, leading edge down) around the green was too inconsistent for me. I'm hoping the putting style chip will help me be more consistent with distance/roll out because the difference in strike should be less different from shot-to-shot (in theory).

The putting chip is dead simple to setup so that's by far the most comfortable for me. I have a nasty tendency to want to "help" the ball into the air with my other short game shots and that's going to be a big area of focus in my practice this season.

• Like 1

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Have you tried blading a wedge? I do that occasionally when I'm close and just off the fringe and am always surprised I don't practice it more.

Without the right context... Why would you TRY to blade a wedge!? haha

I've done it a few times when my ball is nestled up in the collar between the fringe and rough.  It really does work quite well once you get a feel for it.  I had to do it a few times during #CCC4 with club eliminator challenge.  I'm much better with my putter in my hands, but it wasn't too bad either.

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

4 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

Yes! That's actually in one of Raflewski's videos. He uses it for when a ball is backed up onto the collar between fringe and rough. The putting chip is so close to blading anyway, I'd just have to move the ball slightly more heel side. The biggest difference would be that the ball would just come out a little hotter.

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I'm a big fan of the "putt" chip. I don't really duff chip shots anymore when i use this technique. I set up with putting grip, toe down, right hand partially on the shaft, make a putting stroke swing, just with faster tempo. I have noticed it doesn't work that well with the 54 and 58 wedges, unless its a really super short chip shot. I use everything from 5 iron to gap wedge for this shot.

Not sure why I didn't try it sooner. It eliminates a lot of variables. I seem to be OK with the higher lofted wedges, but I imagine the ball would want to stop and move right just a bit (for a right-hander) due to the slight cut spin that gets put on the ball.

Fingers crossed that my practice facility opens up in the next few weeks as well. I still haven't decided if I want to purchase a short game membership or not. There's a huge putting green and pitching area that's included for free, but there is a private, dedicated short-game area with multiple greens, targets and hitting areas (both turf and mat). Not sure if it's worth the extra money... with unlimited range balls I can always practice pitching out onto the range.

17° Hybrid:
18.5° Driving Iron: 
21° Hybrid:
4-AW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

28 minutes ago, edingc said:

are you only using your wedges or are you trying any shots with other clubs? (i.e. hybrid, 8i)

• Like 1

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

2 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

are you only using your wedges or are you trying any shots with other clubs? (i.e. hybrid, 8i)

I have about 17 yards to work with in my backyard so that's the limiting factor at the moment. I am working with some lower lofted clubs to get an idea of how they launch when hit softly. I could see using a hybrid on a dry day to run a ball up onto a green, and using something like an 8 iron to hit low bump and runs, too. Just don't have the space for it at the moment. My neighbor is already going to find a ball in his backyard when his snow melts... whoops! 😂)

• Like 3

17° Hybrid:
18.5° Driving Iron: 
21° Hybrid:
4-AW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

24 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Without the right context... Why would you TRY to blade a wedge!? haha

I've done it a few times when my ball is nestled up in the collar between the fringe and rough.  It really does work quite well once you get a feel for it.  I had to do it a few times during #CCC4 with club eliminator challenge.  I'm much better with my putter in my hands, but it wasn't too bad either.

Yeah - hopefully never; but my mindset is never try a shot during a round that you haven't practiced at least once!

• Like 2