What/How did you practice today?

20 minutes ago, analyticandrew said:

My strokes Gaines putting on those 8 putts was -3.54. So yeah, a couple of them were REALLY bad. Again, I’m shooting for making 6. Realistically (as I noted) making 3 I’m happy with. Then the SGP on those at least looks a lot better. 🙂

Thats why saying something like inside 16 feet is really a bad way of putting things.   It is like when the TV announcers say that a player made X amount of putts inside of 12 feet.   They probably made 1 12 footer and all the rest were inside of 3 feet.   

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

I got in another range session today, I got on a couple of things yesterday I wanted to reinforce in my swing. Mostly working on alignment and tempo, as I have a habit of swinging hard from the top an

Posted Images

Had a great day at the range today. Practice some drills I got from my coach which is helping to get rid of my slice and actually starting to get a slight draw. The best part was after the driving range I spent 2 hours practicing 20-30 yeard chip. The local course I go to was slow and only one other person was on the chipping/putting green while I was there. It helps in confidence if you don't ahve to worry about getting in someones way or shanking a ball while someone else is practicing. 

• Like 6

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

16 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I went outside on lunch today and did a SuperSpeed session.... man did I feel slow today.

I barely sniffed in the mid-120's on the light stick.  But I feel like I got some decent speeds with the middle and heavy stick.  It's been far too long since I've done a full session.  I don't think I was feeling the light head all that well today which was messing up my timing.  

I want to get to the range at some point this week/weekend.  Maybe get out for 9 too, but I needed to get some speed training in! 

Had a very similar session today after a couple weeks off due to some crazy work and the kids being home. Felt slow for sure. Got the light and medium up to decent speeds but the heavy was down 5 mph from the last week I did it. Part of it is morning but part of it is the time away. It's always that heavy stick that takes the longest to come back after a break. Still good to get back to it.

• Like 7

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

55 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Had a very similar session today after a couple weeks off due to some crazy work and the kids being home. Felt slow for sure. Got the light and medium up to decent speeds but the heavy was down 5 mph from the last week I did it. Part of it is morning but part of it is the time away. It's always that heavy stick that takes the longest to come back after a break. Still good to get back to it.

Oh yeah the red one can be a b**ch sometimes. Haha. There are days in out of sequence and can struggle to get it over 100mph. Then other days it’s been as fast as my blue. 

looking forward to tomorrow’s workout being better. Haha

• Like 7

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Oh yeah the red one can be a b**ch sometimes. Haha. There are days in out of sequence and can struggle to get it over 100mph. Then other days it’s been as fast as my blue. 

looking forward to tomorrow’s workout being better. Haha

Yes so true when I am off with that one I feel as slow as a turtle but if I get it right yes its only a few MPH behind the blue. Yes there is always another workout and it is the consistency that will help in the long run.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Every day... probably 30-40 swings back and forth.... around 50-60 yards. Need to get between the 2 flags. Have another mat between them for the shot back.
Working on swing path and plane.

Ignore the ugly lawn; new house and it's a WIP.

practice_station2.jpg.2118be5ba4bf81f5894f1b462ff86138.jpg

Nice setup! I have room in my yard for 50-60 yard wedge practice as well - it's made a huge difference for me over the past year.

• Like 3

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Working on a few things with my iron swing. In the backswing, feeling a little more upper left arm rotation. In the downswing a feel that gets my arms moving better through the ball. Probably the best my iron swing has ever been.

My driver swing looks like crap though. I recorded a driver swing and it shares nothing in common with my iron swing, looks like a different person. 

• Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

6 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Every day... probably 30-40 swings back and forth.... around 50-60 yards. Need to get between the 2 flags. Have another mat between them for the shot back.
Working on swing path and plane.

Ignore the ugly lawn; new house and it's a WIP.

practice_station2.jpg.2118be5ba4bf81f5894f1b462ff86138.jpg

I love the setup you have there, it makes me wish I had enough room for longer shots in my yard. Speaking of yard, it looks pretty good to me. 

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Working on a few things with my iron swing. In the backswing, feeling a little more upper left arm rotation. In the downswing a feel that gets my arms moving better through the ball. Probably the best my iron swing has ever been.

My driver swing looks like crap though. I recorded a driver swing and it shares nothing in common with my iron swing, looks like a different person. 

Your swing is looking good and hopefully you can get to a place soon with your driver swing where it looks that smooth. 

• Like 3

Another couple of buckets this week after my round Tuesday. Think I'm making some more progress. I love how when you start to focus on one area another problem rears its head. I figured out my long club woes are the result of me rolling my arms back inside again with my takeaway. When I really make sure my right forearm arm stays over the left on the way back (forcing my arm off of my side and getting me more upright) I hit some fantastic shots.

I've been practicing almost exclusively with my longer clubs (3 utility, 4 iron, hybrids) because the shorter irons are more forgiving when I come too far inside on the backswing.

Two rounds scheduled for this weekend!

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.3 (Last Updated June 13, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Today's SuperSpeed training was going much better than Wednesdays!  As I had said I struggled to move the heavy club with any velocity but today I was right up near my blue club speeds.  I was about 10 MPH faster with it today.

I started the 3rd protocol but I instead of doing 4 of each club I added 3 using the counter weight club to start. 

My fastest speed of the day actually came with that club on off hand swings.  I hit 130 mph and was quite surprised.  

Unfortunately I could feel a blister coming so I bowed out of my final 3 swings of the day.

Also this morning I did some planemate work.  I really like using it the morning.  Gets the muscles engaged early and helps loosen up any tightness in my lower back.

• Like 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

I got off work today and since I've had swing thoughts dancing around in my head, I decided to take a trip to the range. I wasn't sure if it would be wise after waking up at 3:30, but I couldn't resist.

My 20 yard wedge shot was money! I was hitting close to target and working trajectory decently. Now, my 50 yard wedge shot was not anything to write home about. Shank, shank, and more shank was the theme of the day. I decided to leave it and come back and try again later. 

Hit my irons decently well, put some alignment sticks down and am feeling like in set up way right of the target, but was hitting them as straight as I have in a long time. 

I then moved on to the driver drill @chisag told me about and had some pretty good results. Started out on the heel, but was able to make a slight adjustment to move them closer to the center. 20210514_180459-01.jpeg.b70371746245e37e3ac41d9ec0bb2e6c.jpeg

I even found the center, once, but that's progress!20210514_180006-01.jpeg.9a371f46d7272b550dacdc94baf36f0a.jpeg

I then decided to leave my comfort zone with irons. I think I've mentioned before that you can watch the grass grow in the time I stand over the ball. Well, I decided to take a couple of waggles, set my club behind the ball, and go. Oh momma! I was striping the ball, at least compared to how I normally hit. It was extremely uncomfortable and awkward, but the shots were so much better than normal. 

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

. It was extremely uncomfortable and awkward

change is uncomfortable and awkward. 

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

change is uncomfortable and awkward. 

Very much so, but I'm hoping it'll help me keep from psyching myself out over the ball. I should know by now to trust I can hit a ball, I build cars for a living and repetition is the name of the game. I've just got to trust myself hitting a ball. 

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Very much so, but I'm hoping it'll help me keep from psyching myself out over the ball. I should know by now to trust I can hit a ball, I build cars for a living and repetition is the name of the game. I've just got to trust myself hitting a ball. 

... It is one of the things about golf that is so radically different from most other sports. I was never very accurate standing and looking at a target and hitting it with a football. But when I wasn't thinking but just reacting I was very accurate. Kinda like The Sundance Kid when he said "I'm better when I move". You see good shooters in basketball struggle at the free throw line because they aren't reacting, they are thinking and often over thinking which is something they don't have time to do in the flow of the game. The more you can react and the less you think the better with your golf swing. No need to rush, but just waggle and keep moving even if it is just barely shifting your feet and try to swing in reaction to the shot you want to hit and not in non reaction to thinking.

... Now I know it just isn't that easy and I remember early in my career that I had lots of thoughts and froze over the ball. It was noe of my first advances when I started playing with a really good player and he forced me to just look at my landing area, step up, waggle once and then instantly start my swing. It felt waaaaaaay too fast so I get what your saying but just keep at it. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Ive been working on swing change for weeks with most every shot on the range aided by sticks to change my path. Ive taken the training wheels off most of the time and things are going well and the longer clubs are seeing improvement which tells me things are improving. Much better divots or lack off and a straight ball flight with a slight draw at times which I'm ok with. 

Last night was zero range balls but 30 minutes on the putting green with the main focus being 10 feet and in. 

• Like 3

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Putting, putting & more putting practice the last week or so.  I still have a sore lump on my right wrist so I have give the wedge practice and playing a break hoping it eases up some. 

I have been continuing the one hand putting drill (with each hand) and for me it really seems to help me keep the face stable when going back to putting with two hands.  I can't wait to do it before a round on the practice green and then see how it plays out on the course.  I want to see if the effect is a short 15 minute impact while practicing or if it will extend to 3+ hours of 18 holes.

• Like 5

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Was able to test out the Sim2 Max set up like i was fit for weds on the range today between a funeral this morning and work tonight. I’m also being allowed to take it to the course tomorrow afternoon and play with it. 

I didn’t want to abuse someone’s kindness so I just hit 4 with it. I was faster both with my driver and this one today than weds - I knew I didn’t swing especially well that day. 

Had the identical launch angle of 14 and ball flight of mid high draw and the same ball speed and carry distance gap.  The Rapsodo only records carry so I don’t know about run out but based on what I  could see the ball was taking off once it hit the ground.

I also hit the lag shot training club followed by a bunch of 7 irons, a series of random chips and pitches around the practice green, some full wedge shots, 9 irons and 7 wood shots. 

• Like 6

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I had a GREAT FaceTime lesson with Tyler McGhie today! So stoked!!! Once he posts our summary videos on the app I’ll post some pics. I was crowding the swing again, so we worked on my stance at address, then creating room on the downswing, and the proper path/face angle, and how the club exits with all of the newly found space. Ugh. SOOOO good. I asked for some drills I can do to keep solidifying everything, and I got a couple! He’s REALLY good and worth the money. Seriously stoked after this lesson today!!!!

• Like 7

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Went to the range to really try and work on my angle of attack for my driver.  

After putting together my kids' 16 foot trampoline, my back and hands were done for.  I should have just foregone the range as I could not get much speed and my timing was off in general.

Worked on putting for about 40 minutes as well hitting a lot of 5 - 8 footers.  Trying to keep my hands soft and ensuring that I am getting the ball started on line each and every time.  

• Like 6

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"