What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Two pics from today’s lesson. A before and after. So stoked!

671CD8EE-BEE0-4397-B745-85DCB27FB3E7.jpeg

8407B6E4-BEF9-4748-B136-03AEFFC7A58D.jpeg

34B94BFB-478F-4FC1-B1D2-C1E6A3674B0C.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

After a couple weeks of limited action, my wrist wasn't nearly as sore the last couple days so I got out the 57 & 53 for a wedge session this morning.  About 50 shots with each from 50 and 65 yards. 

The first 10 were not consistent, some short and some long, some on target and some pulled as I felt the heel catch the turf.  Then I found the bottom of my swing, got back in the groove and was fairly consistent with the distance and line with the rest.  I had to concentrate on finishing with my hands high & face open to get the soft landing, spinny shots that should hold the green when I get back on the course.

• Like 4

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Posted (edited)

I watched a great video on developing a practice schedule. I took this guys spreadsheet and adapted it to myself changing some things around to best suit me. I like his idea of creating a google spreadsheet so you can update while you are at the course. 

I also got an net for my birthday last week so i can pratice at home. I am thinking about developing another spread sheet that would be more focused on net practice for the days that I can't make it to the range. With a new born due any day I imagine I am going to be spending a lot of time in my basement. 

Does anyone ahve any good drills they like to do at home or in a net? 

Practice Schedule video

Edited by rmvanbuskirk
  • Like 1

Driver :callaway-small: XR 10.5°

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 PW-4i

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey 56°  & Vokey 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #5 Putter

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Ball: Kirkland Signature V2.0

Posted (edited)

First day it’s been 6 months since I thought about the golf swing and taking any clubs out

around the green i been placing the ball opposite my front heel and then adjusting my feet and grip depending on the trajectory and/or if I need to hit out if the bunker     Makes it simple if I use this initial set up for my flop like shots 

for chipping I use the hinge &hold technique and use the blade/top edge 

it’s same as my putting motion  not really a swing , more of a stroke, where my follow through is short and sunted just so I can get the ball rolling on the ground right away 

Edited by Haro
  • Like 2

For the swing   I have not been feeling it but developed a routine to try to feel it 

I’m right handed and like to hold the club with the right arm and do the zorro setup with the club in the air to feel the weight of the club with my right arm then setup with my left arm when I can feel it with my right arm then set up rest of the body. 
To set up the rest of my body I focus spot in the sky above the target (usually the pin) 

sometimes there is tree line that help me. If not tree line and it’s a open links like course I find it easier to play a fade and hit the as high as I can 

for the draw I use the actually pin as the target for my iron shots 

for fairway woods I don’t like to use it. As the same motion give me a hook. 

The only way I can hit a fairway wood straighter is aiming with shaft with my left eye closed.  I might try a hybrid this summer 

• Like 1

I had to run into the office for a few hours this morning so I hit the range on the way home for a small bucket. The two balls I sent into the woods this weekend were both with my driver (as usual) so after warming up with some wedges I just worked on the big stick. One of my problems is I tend to slide forward so maintaining the feeling of hanging back helps out. Worked on that for a bit then finished up bouncing around my irons. 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

One of my problems is I tend to slide forward so maintaining the feeling of hanging back helps out.

I worked on something similar today as well.  My angle of attack is awful with driver (negative 4-6 degrees).  As you can imagine it also increases my spin numbers greatly and I lose distance.  Trying to stay back and a the club to come up into the ball.  Problem is I keep drawing or pulling my tee shots when trying to do this.  

I was on the SkyTrak so I can confirm that my spin and launch angle were both better, but direction was not.  Need to keep working on this.  Possibly get a lesson as I don't want to adjust my swing on the fly without a pga pro giving it a look.

• Like 4

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I had to run into the office for a few hours this morning so I hit the range on the way home for a small bucket. The two balls I sent into the woods this weekend were both with my driver (as usual) so after warming up with some wedges I just worked on the big stick. One of my problems is I tend to slide forward so maintaining the feeling of hanging back helps out. Worked on that for a bit then finished up bouncing around my irons. 

53 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I worked on something similar today as well.  My angle of attack is awful with driver (negative 4-6 degrees).  As you can imagine it also increases my spin numbers greatly and I lose distance.  Trying to stay back and a the club to come up into the ball.  Problem is I keep drawing or pulling my tee shots when trying to do this.  

I was on the SkyTrak so I can confirm that my spin and launch angle were both better, but direction was not.  Need to keep working on this.  Possibly get a lesson as I don't want to adjust my swing on the fly without a pga pro giving it a look.

I love how everyone has different things to work on. I'm starting to have the opposite problem as you two and am getting stuck on my back foot. I end up hitting inside and up with an open club face (slice city) or smother hook it left with my hands trying to save it. 

Been doing some slow motion mirror work in the basement trying to feel like I stay more centered on my backswing through looser shoulders and rotation around my head and neck. I have a tendency to pull my head off the ball a bit toward my back foot and from there I get in all sorts of trouble.

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.2 (Last Updated July 27, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Finally got to use the gbox so just started to hit 7 iron to get used to it. Took a couple of swings to actually get a good one but man once I got into the groove those shots felt amazing and straight ! Only one practice with it but I was really impressed 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Really struggled with my irons on Sunday. I’m attributing that to using the lag shot device so that bad boy is going on the shelve for a bit. 

It was extremely hot, dry and windy. Wind was left to right down so not ideal. It’s funny to me that the rapsodo recordings show my shots going straight or a tad right to left even though they all moved right to some extent or another.

After hitting 15 or so drivers I went to work on my irons - yuck, yuck, yuck. Finally after doing a drill my coach has given me I started to hit some good shots.  For me it’s always about sequencing and my was totally off. By the time I was done it was pretty good again but man was I messed up. 

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

50 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

Finally got to use the gbox so just started to hit 7 iron to get used to it. Took a couple of swings to actually get a good one but man once I got into the groove those shots felt amazing and straight ! Only one practice with it but I was really impressed 

I know the guys over at TXG really gave it a good review and I had to go back and rewatch their video after seeing you are working with it. Keep us updated on how it works out and hopefully we'll hear some good results!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I know the guys over at TXG really gave it a good review and I had to go back and rewatch their video after seeing you are working with it. Keep us updated on how it works out and hopefully we'll hear some good results!

Will do it was crazy felt so good when I figured it out the first one I hit good surprised me .. I was like whoa.... i saw that TXG review and another guy who i forget but he really liked it but not for the $100 price tag which I can see bc some could make it for like $20 but whatever I know I would never actually make it haha 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Had a productive range sesh with the wedges today! Also hit a few 6is and a few hybrids to practice key full swing moves from recent lessons.

Happy with the wedges - varied hitting different wedges to the same target, tried some high vs punch shots, but mostly tried to focus in on aim & alignment, solid contact then distance control.

My wedge game on the course recently has been a little off, so this was a needed confidence booster. 

• Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I did some SuperSpeed training today and saw some pretty positive results. I'm still not where I want to be, but that's why I'm doing it. I'm still sticking to the dominant side only drills due to some pain above my left big toe. I did take a couple of gentle left handed swings and, yep that's what's causing it. I figure doing something is better than nothing. 

Then, after watching @edingc working through his swing thoughts in the awesome video on his improvement thread, I went outside to work on takeaway. I also wanted to take swings like that and focus on making sure the swoosh is happening after impact. It's just a peaceful feeling to have a club in hand swinging it around. 

• Like 7

On 4/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, B.Boston said:

Just a thought. Did you check the apps permissions since the update to make sure it has access to the microphone to hear the shots? Maybe some settings for changes with the OS update. 

A little late here but was gonna suggest the same thing. Also make sure that Arccos has permissions to Bluetooth, of course, and also Location .. some apps / connected devices on Android explicitly require Location to fully function properly...

• Like 3

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:40 AM, dlow206 said:

Outside of golf, I'm smart and learn and pickup things quickly.

With golf, I feel like my brain is dense and doesn't get something, forgets about something, or just doesn't apply something.

Ditto 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Ditto 🤷‍♂️

Ditto??  You are dating yourself there!!  Did you just watch the movie, Ghost with Patrick Swayze??  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Another small bucket, mostly OK. Driver started out fine but went downhill after maybe 7-8 shots. I've found that the more I stick with one club, the worse I do. After warming up with a wedge, I need to bounce around the bag like a simulated round. If I hit a bunch of drivers in a row, I'm guaranteed to top a few irons, even if I take a bunch of practice swings.

On the downside, looks like yet another owner has taken over the range near my office. Instead of 4 bucket sizes they're down to 2, and prices went way up. The new mats look OK but I always go outside of the covered area to hit off grass. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb