What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Worked on grip and initial takeaway move for a bit, then went over to the chipping area and practiced short pitches and chips.

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Stopped on my way into New Orleans late this afternoon to hit a bucket of balls. I did the one drill from my lesson for an hour (it was HOT), then hit the last 10 balls with my driver. The swing got better today! 

• Like 7

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Small bucket today just working on some half swings and making sure I'm not forcing my wrists to do something dumb in the backswing. When I get handsy everything goes to crap. Mostly bounced around the bag and had some really nice driver shots with what felt like a half swing. In reality I know that's not the case and I go further back than that.

I snuck over to the practice green for some putting work, I only got around 15 mins in before I had to head back home to start working.

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

spent an hour on the putting green. half of that comparing putters for TA impact testing. The last 30 mins was variable practice drills that Adam Young percribes. Different distances randomly and trying to get the ball as close to the hole (or target) that you can. Its not about makes but more so feel for distance control. Its a lot of work.

Finally last 20 mins working on variable practice around the green. Tried to go after thre different pins at different distances in a random order. Did 54*, 58*. Then 7I to back pin as bump and run, then 9i to middle pin. Then GW to closet pin.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

I took care of my daughter and wife's phones this afternoon - cracked screen/throne in toilet by a grandchild and then went to the club to hit a few balls.  My goals was to see if I found Saturday and lost on Sunday was only lost due to 5 birdie shots shared on the front 9.

I very quickly found out it was the shots - I hit the ball so friggin well right from the first swing.  Honestly my worst practice shot with an iron was better than my best on Sunday - I don't know that I would have hit it that well that day even without the shots - it was after work and the day after a round - I was sore to start with, walking and it was very hot.  

Back to the range - hit 3 great nine irons, 3 great 7 irons and then moved on to 6 iron - I brought the D7 forged with instead of the G30 because it looks and feels so much better and what the heck, if I'm swinging well, I hit it well and I'm not I don't and if I'm swinging poorly I don't hit the G30 6 well either.  At any rate hit all 20 of them very well, would have had some misses left on the course but hole high left, those were hit solid too.  No thin shots at all, no fat ones either, just straight and a couple over drawn.  I also hit some really nice flighted down shots. 

Moved on to 5 wood next.  Pretty significant left to right wind so a lot of my shots were 30 right of target but again nothing terrible, nothing fat, all about the same distance, bad shots were a bit in the heal, lower and left but livable.  Hit around 20 of those.  

Trap next - awesome, best in a long, long time - then hit a number of pitch shots from snarly rough behind the trap to a tight pin - tried a variety of lies that including moving to extremely tight fairway lies a bit further away both downhill and level.  Only really miss hit one of those and these were all challenging shots.

Finally it was time for the big dog - I have the Sim2 in the bag - honestly I did tru fit and the G425 is supposed to be my club according to it - In fact the Sim2 was not one of my two matches.  But in reality, when I went for a fitting, I hit the Sim2 very well - plus my pro made me an offer I couldn't refuse - he had a slightly used 10.5 with the blue Ventus shaft that I was fit for that he had taken on a trade - he let me try it as long as I wanted and then took $250 and an older driver as a trade for it - and when I say slightly used I mean one or two rounds max slightly used. 🙂  I will still look to test a G425 but doubt I will hit it better than this.

There was a flag 225 way - it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon - extremely hot, humid but still no rain.  I flew ball after ball around that flag and then they took off like a banshee almost off the rage - we were way up so when I shot someone hitting balls on the other side of the range he is 278.  Lots of the balls that I hit were over 250.  There were no really bad misses although I had a couple that were blocked a bit and one that was healed.  

I will post this elsewhere but its of interest to me that when I was fit the fitter wanted me at 45.5.  I've been using 45 for the past year and a half, although the shaft prior was 45.5 and I was fit for that.  I find that I'm solid as a rock when I grip down on the Sim2 a bit probably making the shaft 45.  I have no intention of cutting it down.  But I'm wondering if the grip down equals the cut down or not - I'm thinking not quite because a cut down would keep the drip the same where as this means I'm at a thinner part of the grip.  At any rate I'm really hitting this club well - I couldn't get the Rapsodo to work properly - it happens - the way we were positioned the teeing ground was several inches below where I was setting it.  The ones that I've measured so far show a swing speed increase of 1 or 2 mph with the Sim2 over the 410 and 2 or 3 mph of ball speed.  In my test the spin rate was about 500 rpm's less while the launch angle was the same.  Love my ball flight today, it seemed to launch high and stay in the air forever.

• Like 9

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Walked a quick practice nine tonight trying to recreate my success from Tuesday. Didn't intend on playing "for real" as I didn't use any technology or laser and went completely by yardage stakes and feel. Ended up shooting a 39 (38 ESC) only because I lost a ball after fanning my tee shot right on No. 3 leading to a triple bogey. Six pars, bogey and a birdie otherwise.

The birdie came on No. 2 for the first time this year after hitting a fantastic 6 iron punch shot beneath the trees and wind from 140 out of the right rough to 7 feet and sinking the birdie putt. 

I didn't hit the ball all that well (no where near as well as Tuesday) but still was able to score OK. Really struggling to get through the ball and onto my left side. A few lessons ago I was working on not letting my head move forward in the downswing and I've overcorrected to falling back a bit with the upper body through impact. Sometimes I get too inside and get stuck and that causes me to fall back to get to the ball, but it happens no matter what unless I'm really focusing on maintaining my spine angle through the downswing. 

Nice!!  Playing by "feel" is a great way to practice.  Without technology to get in the way, the brain focuses better on accomplishing the task at hand.  When I play this way, I usually shoot the same score as I do with the laser and GPS.  It will pay dividends down the road.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

spent an hour on the putting green. half of that comparing putters for TA impact testing. The last 30 mins was variable practice drills that Adam Young percribes. Different distances randomly and trying to get the ball as close to the hole (or target) that you can. Its not about makes but more so feel for distance control. Its a lot of work.

Finally last 20 mins working on variable practice around the green. Tried to go after thre different pins at different distances in a random order. Did 54*, 58*. Then 7I to back pin as bump and run, then 9i to middle pin. Then GW to closet pin.

You keep doing those drills and you will knock 10 shots off your score!!  I said it here!!  😃

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

41 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

You keep doing those drills and you will knock 10 shots off your score!!  I said it here!!  😃

Thanks Kenny! As well, i am trying to also do more external focus instead of mechanical internal focus. Sweet Spot podcast harped on this and i am gonna give it a try with visualization. Seems to work putting and my short game work today. Along with counting out loud when doing full swings i also feel more free to swing and the divot board dont lie.

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

17 hours ago, revkev said:

Finally it was time for the big dog - I have the Sim2 in the bag - honestly I did tru fit and the G425 is supposed to be my club according to it - In fact the Sim2 was not one of my two matches.  But in reality, when I went for a fitting, I hit the Sim2 very well - plus my pro made me an offer I couldn't refuse - he had a slightly used 10.5 with the blue Ventus shaft that I was fit for that he had taken on a trade - he let me try it as long as I wanted and then took $250 and an older driver as a trade for it - and when I say slightly used I mean one or two rounds max slightly used. 🙂  I will still look to test a G425 but doubt I will hit it better than this.

I will post this elsewhere but its of interest to me that when I was fit the fitter wanted me at 45.5.  I've been using 45 for the past year and a half, although the shaft prior was 45.5 and I was fit for that.  I find that I'm solid as a rock when I grip down on the Sim2 a bit probably making the shaft 45.  I have no intention of cutting it down.  But I'm wondering if the grip down equals the cut down or not - I'm thinking not quite because a cut down would keep the drip the same where as this means I'm at a thinner part of the grip.  At any rate I'm really hitting this club well 

... Rev, as you know golf is a funny game. While most cut down their shaft and are very happy with the results, I have heard from too many golfers that cut down their shafts and were disappointed with the results. Technically other than a very slight counter balance, there really is no difference between gripping down or cutting the shaft shorter. Of course as you said, the feel in your hands can change slightly depending on what type of grip you use. There are plenty of Pro's that grip down the most obvious example being Brook Henderson. But the old cliche is a cliche for a reason "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You said you have no intention of cutting it down so good for you. Confidence is a fickle beast so changing something that is working is almost always a bad idea whether it is your swing or your equipment. 

• Like 6

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Some divot board work today (nice in to out pattern here). Some short mechanical thoughts then external. Things are coming along nicely. I also realize I need to make my grip slightly closer to neutral for when I get excited I get very hooky by shutting the face too much. 

13F74263-B9B0-4F8E-B593-BD1071C6D9B3.jpeg

• Like 6

Went to the course at 6:00 this morning to play 18 and was greeted by a member of the grounds crew who informed me that there was going to be a frost delay of at least an hour. Judging by the groups that were already waiting I was figuring that it would be closer to two hours. 

I opted for the driving range instead and will hopefully get back out this afternoon when everything gets done around the house. 

Hit everything from PW to Driver with most clubs working out well. 4 iron is still a work in progress and I’m working on getting acquainted with my new driver. For the most part, everything was good.

On to the chipping green. I work on chipping direction and form almost everyday in my basement with foam balls and have been seeing great results with consistency for those attributes. Spent some time with the 55 & 60 today to work on distance and was really happy with my results. Lots of balls dropping within 1 putt range. Worked with various lies, fairway, rough, above the hole, and below the hole. Walked away from there feeling pretty good. Hopefully it translates well to actual play later today. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W Project X Velocity 6.0 53g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:callaway-small: MD4 55/60 W/ DG S200

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Played a round yesterday but before the round I showed up nice and early because this place actually has a practice bunker and to call my recent bunker play trash would be an insult to trash everywhere. So it was great to hit close to 50 bunker shots before my round started from a couple distances with my 56 and 52.

Getting that feel back and the ability to trust it was huge. It payed off in round too where I had. 30 yard bunker shot that I hit well with my 52. If only the course wasn't and hour away I would love to practice that more.

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

I have two rounds I'm really looking forward to coming up next week, so today I got out to the range to check the status of my swing. 

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on takeaway, trying to focus on keeping the leading edge parallel with my spine angle. Plus, I'm working on on developing a trigger so I'm not standing over the ball too long. I've settled on tapping the club on the ground 3 times and swinging. The combination of the two lead to some really good, solid shots. I'm going to have to work on alignment because I'm seeing more shots going right than left. I think I was flipping too much before. 

Wedges were good, irons were solid, but my fairways and driver need work. I couldn't hit them well for love nor money. 

I finished off on the practice green chipping and putting out. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I have two rounds I'm really looking forward to coming up next week, so today I got out to the range to check the status of my swing. 

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on takeaway, trying to focus on keeping the leading edge parallel with my spine angle. Plus, I'm working on on developing a trigger so I'm not standing over the ball too long. I've settled on tapping the club on the ground 3 times and swinging. The combination of the two lead to some really good, solid shots. I'm going to have to work on alignment because I'm seeing more shots going right than left. I think I was flipping too much before. 

Wedges were good, irons were solid, but my fairways and driver need work. I couldn't hit them well for love nor money. 

I finished off on the practice green chipping and putting out. 

your rounds next week are gonna be great, i’m calling it now 

• Like 5

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

6 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

your rounds next week are gonna be great, i’m calling it now 

I appreciate it, and really hope so. I'll be a happy camper if I can break 100 one or both of the rounds. 

I'm playing two courses I've never played, and that should help with some of the mental hurdles I associate with the course I play all the time. 

I've got a Monday round up near Knoxville at a course called Dead Horse Lake with @Tom the Golf Nut, who I'm ecstatic about meeting. 

https://deadhorselake.com/

My second round is with a guy from work and we're playing Brown Acres in Chattanooga. 

• Like 9

Hit the range Thursday evening with my son to work on particular points from Wednesday's lesson. Started out solid with short and then mid-irons. Went to crap when I picked up my wedges and was in a funk the rest of the practice session...

Headed back today to continue working.

PXL_20210528_000106683.jpg

• Like 6

Testing: :EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:callaway-small: Big Bertha (2014)

:callaway-small: X-20s 4-SW (missing 9 iron 😬)*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:odyssey-small: White Hot #4

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:nike-small: Miami Hurricane Stand Bag

:callaway-small: Supersoft

*Getting fitted in a month or so, will update weapons of choice then!

31 minutes ago, Hobert said:

Hit the range Thursday evening with my son to work on particular points from Wednesday's lesson. Started out solid with short and then mid-irons. Went to crap when I picked up my wedges and was in a funk the rest of the practice session...

That’ll do it!

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Hobert said:

It's amazing how those short shots with the wedges can completely derail a range session, they'll drive me crazy some days. Hopefully you'll get them straightened out soon. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I appreciate it, and really hope so. I'll be a happy camper if I can break 100 one or both of the rounds. 

I'm playing two courses I've never played, and that should help with some of the mental hurdles I associate with the course I play all the time. 

I've got a Monday round up near Knoxville at a course called Dead Horse Lake with @Tom the Golf Nut, who I'm ecstatic about meeting. 

https://deadhorselake.com/

My second round is with a guy from work and we're playing Brown Acres in Chattanooga. 

Hope that you have fun both rounds, and just enjoy them for the opportunities they present, being outdoors, enjoying the time with others, and potentially making new friends along the way.

Really hope that you will also post a few pictures of the fun events you have coming up.

Just relax, and enjoy these moments for what they really are, without putting any other undue pressure on yourself.

• Like 2

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TS3 9.5 & 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Tensei Blue 70S

Irons: Titleist T100 4 - P Project X 5.0

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phanthom 5.5

Ball: Pro V1