Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

I received my Swingbyte 2.0 in the mail so I headed to the range and hit a bucket switching the SB between my 7 iron and my driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Today I am going to work on my bunker play as well as my pitching. The 9 hole course that I sometime go to has a practice area with a bunker and pitching/chipping area as well. Definitely need to work on my short game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Today I am going to work on my bunker play as well as my pitching. The 9 hole course that I sometime go to has a practice area with a bunker and pitching/chipping area as well. Definitely need to work on my short game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you keep at it, you will definitely see major improvement.  A few years ago, a friend of mine broke some ribs and couldn't make full swings, but he wanted to get out on the course.  He could only chip and putt.  By the time he healed up, he was deadly at chipping!  He was never that good at putting and that improved a little too, but his chipping improved dramatically!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I sent video of my driver swing to my pro. All looks good, except I'm still coming from inside-out too much. He's supposed to send me videos today of drills to do to correct it. I'm hoping they get here by lunch time so I can go to the range.

My pro sent me a video of a couple of things to work on to correct my severe in-to-out swing path, so I went to the range and hit two buckets working on the drills. It's going to take awhile for me to get the proper move down, but I'll keep working!

Hit the short course again today. 2 over with both balls in steady 25 mph back end of the hurricane winds. Its a fun way to practice. It was so strong that I hit my 90 yard club 110 down wind and my 160 club 130 into it.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been practicing my chipping indoors on my carpet lately by trying to chip 2 pennies spaced 2 inches apart, for me it was difficult at first but now I can do it 90% of the time on the first try, all I can say is Wow! This has drastically improved my chipping, played yesterday and had 2 hole outs for birdie and 4 extremely close tap ins. A must try if you want to improve your chipping.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well I doubt I will be hitting the short course for a while given that I can hit balls to my heart's content.

I'm thinking that I will try and hit the robot when he's out mowing the chipping green. I did that last year for T and I will do it again this year.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well I doubt I will be hitting the short course for a while given that I can hit balls to my heart's content.

I'm thinking that I will try and hit the robot when he's out mowing the chipping green. I did that last year for T and I will do it again this year.

When you go to Bayou, and no one is there, why don't you create your own "short course"?  Skip the long game and go to each green and hit shots from "familiar" spots.  Move on the the next green.  I find it a lot better than the chipping green, and I have more confidence on a shot next time I play the course and end up there.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great suggestion Kenny because that does happen. Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I hit another large bucket and sent some video to a coach.

I played today, played like don't know why I was out there chasing a stupid white ball for 4 and and a half hours. Ughhh! Be back next week

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great day to play; was supposed to be 60 and sunny but the fog didn't lift until 11. It's almost 1pm and it's only 46*. So I decided to practice my putting which has been dismal lately. Putts going right; so I got out my string to line up putts. It took about 15 minutes before I could sink consecutive 7 footers. Will work another 30 minutes before my attention span wavers.

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1477683983.662690.jpg

Took a lesson and tweaked my grip. Amazing how moving the right hand a tad had me striking the ball more solidly particularly with my big clubs.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I actually got to hit some balls today and after working in airborne and forward I got to work a bit on ball flight. Haven't swung a club in three weeks so I was pleasantly surprised with how the swing held up.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Hit another two large buckets today and sent video to my coaches. I don't "bump" my left hip much, but getting rid of what I do have has been very difficult and very frustrating! More drills and more buckets ahead!

I went to the course twice today to work on the game while not keeping score. I played 18 working on my rotation and trying to get a feel for these changes, but it didn't go all that well.

I went back with my 5 yr old and we rode the cart for 9 more holes. I did discover that this M1 430 is definitely straighter off the tee for me than my current gamer, and, on the longest drives of the day, it was about 7-8 yards longer. The feel and sound aren't as good as my current driver, but I'm going to stick with this M1 for a bit....

Just hit a small bag of balls in Cali. Focused on not falling over and making an a$$ of myself. Before that I worked on drinking the tap room at Pebble Beach out of Grey Goose.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

@PMookie have you ever taken live lessons? I'm curious about the comparison between those and a long distance teaching relationship. My current teacher uses video during the lesson. But he's also right there to give suggestions, can call up a video from an earlier lesson to check progress or regression and is aware of what my ball flight looks like to go wth the video.

Also what's the cost of a long distance teacher? My guy is $50 an hour and has two LPGA players plus the number 1 junior girl and number 3 junior guy in the state of Florida in his stable of students.

I'm skeptical about distance learning for golf but it's clearly working for you so I would love to compare notes.

Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@PMookie have you ever taken live lessons? I'm curious about the comparison between those and a long distance teaching relationship. My current teacher uses video during the lesson. But he's also right there to give suggestions, can call up a video from an earlier lesson to check progress or regression and is aware of what my ball flight looks like to go wth the video.

Also what's the cost of a long distance teacher? My guy is $50 an hour and has two LPGA players plus the number 1 junior girl and number 3 junior guy in the state of Florida in his stable of students.

I'm skeptical about distance learning for golf but it's clearly working for you so I would love to compare notes.

Thanks

Yes. I started with "live lessons" about a year and a half ago. My pro is 4 1/2 hours away and charges $150/hour, so I've only had the time and money for three in-person lessons. We worked on my biggest flaws each time, so now we're into refinements... The refinements are much more difficult to accomplish. I have done two other "live lessons" with a top teacher just 1 1/2 hours away, but he's $200/hour... During a fitting, he helped me work on some refinements live, but again, they're the hardest part.

After trying a couple guys that were local and taught only ONE way to swing, I decided to go to whomever is rated in the Top 3 here in Louisiana. Both of these guys are in the Top 3. I send video after I've done my drills throughout a couple buckets to have them look and see if progress was made. I will get to both of them in Nov/Dec.

The guy 1 1/2 hours away does have a long-distance program for $99/month which gets a person a video evaluation each week over the course of three months. I like the combo of paying for "live", then sending video each week to see if I'm on-track. I could go to the guy closer to me each week as I work in his city, but I don't have $800/mo to do that!!!

It's a gray, foggy day here and I'm a little sore, so I decided to spend a few hours in the practice area. My wife and I play Sat and Sun and I need the practice!!

I don't like spending time on the range but after an hour on the putting green and another hour on the pitching green, I headed over to hit a small bucket. Two guys showed up in a cart with a large bucket to split. They hit all of their balls in the time it took me to hit about 15, and it wasn't pretty to watch. Next they headed to the putting green and rolled 4 balls each to a pin that was about 20 feet away; closest ball was maybe 5 feet! They picked them up and headed to the first tee. I'm thinking they didn't play well. What do you think?

@PMookie that makes a ton of sense. Thanks

@Kenny it's you! Other than the hurricane and tropical storm this summer we've had zero gray cloudy days since you were here in February. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@Kenny it's you! Other than the hurricane and tropical storm this summer we've had zero gray cloudy days since you were here in February. :)

That's me!!

th.jpeg

Joe Btfsplk

Let's see how many people know this one!!

It's a gray, foggy day here and I'm a little sore, so I decided to spend a few hours in the practice area. My wife and I play Sat and Sun and I need the practice!!

I don't like spending time on the range but after an hour on the putting green and another hour on the pitching green, I headed over to hit a small bucket. Two guys showed up in a cart with a large bucket to split. They hit all of their balls in the time it took me to hit about 15, and it wasn't pretty to watch. Next they headed to the putting green and rolled 4 balls each to a pin that was about 20 feet away; closest ball was maybe 5 feet! They picked them up and headed to the first tee. I'm thinking they didn't play well. What do you think?

Kenny, all -

Pretty sure those guys did not see this article from Golf mag (August), nor anything else remotely similar.......

1478975911096.jpg

Also very impressed you spent TWO hours on just short game practice!!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

attachicon.gifth.jpeg

Joe Btfsplk

Let's see how many people know this one!!

Hmmmm .. is it from Li'l Abner..?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hmmmm .. is it from Li'l Abner..?

Winner... you must be old like me!

Kenny, all -

Pretty sure those guys did not see this article from Golf mag (August), nor anything else remotely similar.......

attachicon.gifIMG_20161112_133359624~2.jpg

Also very impressed you spent TWO hours on just short game practice!!!!

True that!  Now that I am retired, I can do that.  I actually like short game work, which is good since I am distance challenged.  If I can get up 'n down from inside 25 yards, I can shoot 75-80; if I can't I shoot 80-85.  Here's a typical short game practice routine for me:

• Putt 3-5 footers using the clock drill
  • Putt 10-20 footers for speed control
  • Back to 3-5 footers
  • Chip to a close pin then a far pin using my 58*
  • Repeat chips to pins using my 50*
  • Pitch balls from 15 and 25 yards to a close pin and a far pin.  I use both 58* and 54* and vary pitch height to each location
  • If the range isn't crowded and I need to work on my swing, I will hit no more than 50 balls, mostly full wedge, 8i, a few 5i and hybrids, and maybe 3-4 drivers.  

I only do this on days I don't play, but I don't do this on all days that I don't play!!   ;)

I've been messing around with this a swing idea for a month now.Really hit some nice draws with it , but also share of over hooks as well.I like this method and see a ton of good in it

Videoed my first swing using it today on the course. Actually looks better than I thought it would

Worked on the range the last time before they closed on this a swing.A guy came up to me and was fascinated how the Ball flew with a nice draw looping the club.I gave him a brief run down.He went from a slicer to a draw in 12 swings of the club.If that wasn't proof to me that this works I'm not sure what else is

Feels manual, but hit some super shots when on

Hit the range today and mainly worked on fairway woods.  I'm casting way too much, so worked on pushing off my right foot on the downswing and pulling the handle through impact, swinging my arms through with no tension.  I saw some progress, but would get a pushed shot every now and then.  

Weather seems to be holding, so I'm gonna keep playing until it gets unbearable, then shut it down for a month before starting lessons and getting the swing worked out for the season.  My new club has heated bays, so I will be making use of them this winter while I also focus on getting back in shape.  

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma