What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

Working with the new shafts and grips in irons so was testing them out and working with getting my hips turned faster .. had some solid shots 

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Back to practice green today. 40 yards out, trying to work on dispersion, left some to be desired yesterday and I had 5 approaches at 40 yards. 

so far hit 80 balls and not any better haha. 

• Like 3

"C'mon be good"

Wedge practice this morning at 65yd comparing an SM6 with my custom grind 588.  The 588 is way more consistent for me with turf contact and dispersion.  I hit about 50 with each and don't see a reason to swap out wedges. 

The last batch of 12 shots with the 588 had he extra happy...11/12 hit the green and rolled through just past the target pin.  The 12th was pulled slightly and ended up about 12' left of the pin, still a reasonable birdie putt!  

This green doesn't hold as well as real grass so I expect the rollout.  I can't bring myself to grind away on the SM6 sole and SWMBO has rejected it from her bag so it will probably go up for adoption soon.

IMG_20210704_082130904.jpg.09b7f311d4b96108b5ad31570794c936.jpg

• Like 3

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Differential practice day on the range today. After some wedges and 7 I with the planemate,  Hit 8 irons left and right of a stick I put 5 yards ahead of me. Then working on toe and heel strikes. Then did the same with my 5i and super hybrid. Then the same with my driver as well as trying to land it between two yardage markers. 

Then onto some short game work. Tried some chips at various yardages with my 4 wedges. PW and GW most consistent. Will try one of those on the course next time exclusively. 58 did some soft flops as well. 

Pitching practice. Was ugly. Then last two balls told myself I need to get it close for par. Boom. Gave me just a touch more focus to execute 

Finally differential putting practice trying to go left and right of the hole. Most putts I tried to go right actually went in. Golf is a silly game. 

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

18 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

BTW, just studied up on the 60/60/100 drill mentioned in several posts above... will be working on that tomorrow.  Thanks MGS Forum... great resource for all that ails me. 

EDIT:  Couldn't wait, had to try it out into my net.... uhhh  WOW!

Huge improvement for me when I get the feel right. 

This is the latest version of the video from Chris Ryan, for those that are interested:

I've been pounding the driver with the driver feel he has at the end of the video as well. After weeks of really awful ball striking I got a ton of distance and control back over the past few rounds.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.1 / Anti-Cap: 14.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

22 minutes ago, edingc said:

Huge improvement for me when I get the feel right. 

Yes, I could feel the immediate feedback in my swing from that perceived 60/60/100 weight through the swing.  Now if I can get my swing speeds up around yours Edingc, I would be able to sleep at night ;).  

• Like 4
  • PXG 0811X Proto Driver - Evenflow Riptide 60
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist 2021 T200 4-GW
  • Nike V-Forged 52 & 56
  • Mizuno M Craft II White Satin Putter
  • Titleist -Pro V1x (Left Dash)

I took another trip to the range today. I started out warming up with my wedges and while not bad, they weren't exactly stellar until I realized I wasn't accelerating through them. Same can be said for irons, realized that I was taking too long of a backswing and causing me to stay back on my right side which led to a lot of chunky shots. Hit some fairways and drivers trying to find a rhythm with them, the fairways need more work and the driver needs tweaking. I actually hit a couple off the crown. 😱20210705_130855-01.jpeg.75e2de933136603486456424abbbc9d3.jpeg

On a good note, at least I was seeing a pattern emerge of high toe and it was fairly consistent. Might need to switch to a shorter tee or just tee the ones I use a bit lower to counteract the high strike.

I then moved on and was playing the first six holes on the course, switching clubs between shots. 

I finished the day focusing on a better follow through, I was trying to finish in a nice, balanced position with my right toes barely touching the ground and the top of my foot facing the target. The results were good, I was still hitting them slightly fat, but it's a good starting point. 

• Like 7

I rolled two putts yesterday and played mini golf with my kids the day before, does that count as practice?  Been over a month since I have hit a golf ball and not sure that streak ends this coming weekend by choice and not circumstance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

I rolled two putts yesterday and played mini golf with my kids the day before, does that count as practice?  Been over a month since I have hit a golf ball and not sure that streak ends this coming weekend by choice and not circumstance. 

Good by me.  Still more practice than I’ve done.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I have a question for all you "At-Home" practice golfers. 

What types of things do you work on at home when using a mat and net? 

I now have a space dedicated under cover of my carport with a Realfeel Mat and a large Aoneky Net.  I am certainly getting the contact feel (the mat is really good at accepting a "divot" swing - and will let me "chunk" a shot without the club bounce that some mats give).  I have a Mevo to set up (though I haven't yet utilized the video feature - which will be great once I better understand what I'm looking for in my swing - which is another question... is there a thread on MGS that users post vids of their swing for others to offer suggestions on where to improve?). 

But aside from working on good contact based on the feel, and the stats the mevo provides (swing speed, carry distance, etc), and just repetition based strength in my swing (all which I am getting much more educated on now that having a mini range right outside my kitchen door - it is definitely addictive) -  I am looking for things to focus on to improve my scoring - while not being able to see shot shape, roll out, etc.  Also, I would hate to spend a bunch of time and engrain bad swing habits because I'm not seeing the full shot shape and such (future addition of a Mevo+ or SkyTrak heavily considered, but may need to wait until next season).

So - what do you all work on when doing your net work?

May everyone shoot below your handicap in your next round!  ~Tim

• Like 2
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Nike V-Forged 52 & 56

I had mentioned in the "What Have You Bought" thread that I picked up some lead tape to add to my D7 driver because I've never liked how light it is. I tend to spray it everywhere and some of that, to me, may be due to not knowing where the head is anywhere in the swing. The face is almost undoubtedly more forgiving than the heavier R1 I put back in the bag for my last round. Having been getting the driver back on track after some time on the range with my buddy a few weeks ago, I wanted to see what I could do with the D7 I've been fighting since I got it.

So with a strip of tape at the back and a strip at the heel I went to the range this morning. After warming up with some wedges and 7 irons I pulled out the D7 and immediately pounded one down the range dead straight. I hit another one - slight pull but would have been playable. Then I skyed one right where the crown meets the face 😂 After calming down and hitting some more irons, I went back to the driver again and could absolutely feel the clubhead in my backswing actually slightly hinging my wrists a bit more right at the top, which is usually when I know to start my downswing. So far, so good. More range time to come and hopefully at least 9 holes later this week.

• Like 7

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I’ve been taking huge divots lately without compressing the ball so today I worked on compressing the ball by moving it back in my stance then slowly moving it forward to compress from my normal stance. That helped with my huge divots at the same time.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I now have a space dedicated under cover of my carport with a Realfeel Mat and a large Aoneky Net.  I am certainly getting the contact feel (the mat is really good at accepting a "divot" swing - and will let me "chunk" a shot without the club bounce that some mats give).  I have a Mevo to set up (though I haven't yet utilized the video feature - which will be great once I better understand what I'm looking for in my swing - which is another question... is there a thread on MGS that users post vids of their swing for others to offer suggestions on where to improve?). 

But aside from working on good contact based on the feel, and the stats the mevo provides (swing speed, carry distance, etc), and just repetition based strength in my swing (all which I am getting much more educated on now that having a mini range right outside my kitchen door - it is definitely addictive) -  I am looking for things to focus on to improve my scoring - while not being able to see shot shape, roll out, etc.  Also, I would hate to spend a bunch of time and engrain bad swing habits because I'm not seeing the full shot shape and such (future addition of a Mevo+ or SkyTrak heavily considered, but may need to wait until next season).

When hitting into the net I am working on muscle memory for setup or swing adjustments not ball flight stuff.  For instance I'll pay attention to posture or grip for a bunch of swings until I can do it without thinking about it or double checking it.  Or recently I was making sure to make a full turn as I noticed in the last league night I was 'short' with my turn.  Or making sure I have a wide take away and high follow through.  

I also just picked up a Mevo and the ball speed & carry distance are a nice addition to check for consistency from swing to swing.  I can tell if I hit a fade or draw by the contact feel so I don't need the ball flight data.....at least until I feel the need for another step toward a simulator and will use that to help with the justification!  😁

• Like 6

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

When hitting into the net I am working on muscle memory

Thanks Shapo... great comments!!

• Like 2
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Nike V-Forged 52 & 56

First day at the range since putting JumboMax grips on all swinging clubs, and I found it so easy to hit my targets. Very solid strikes, with very little curve. Which is very rare for me, but I have been working alot of being more neutral. Although I really struggled with my driver today, this was my first strike and it went downhill from there. image0.jpeg.83e2ef21401e17462ce696274c3a73f2.jpeg

Alot of heel strikes, causing alot of high spinny cuts. Very odd for me, it was very frustrating because I was barely out carrying my 3 wood. May get a lesson or just need more time, anyways if the rain holds off I am playing this afternoon and Ill just aim left. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus 9* @ 8*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6-X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

:Sub70: CB 5,6 Dynamic Gold X100

:Sub70: MB 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:taylormade-small: TP5x PIX

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

I have been trying to get 100+ reps on my home net with a majority of solid contact - while trying to focus on a good position at the top of the backswing (I have a tendency to get flat, and then my first move is shoulder turn making me come over the top a bit. ) to find the slot.  Took my swing to the range last night to see some ball flight... better than the previous session there, but more work to do.  

The positive (or negative) of my course's grass range... the turf is tired and over sanded, so it is more like hitting from a waste area that is covered with some sparse grass - so the positive... ball first contact is most definitely rewarded.  Anything less.... splash.  Immediate feedback on ball striking. 😉

• Like 2
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Nike V-Forged 52 & 56

Found an hour between rain showers to hit the range. Have really ben focusing on shallowing my to make sure I am coming from the inside. So hands a bit higher and making sure the swing is about the rotation and not swaying trying to control the face. The final piece though was checking the grip which had drifted, and got it back to neutral. (Shout out the the recent Mark Crossfield videos that helped remind me of these couple things) This all really helped straighten things out and was finding the center well.

This especially helped with the driver were strikes were mostly in the center and when I was able to time it right finally moved down to only a 5 to 10 yard fade with a much better flight that makes the delivery feel like it is better. Now to get back on the course and give it a go, should be out there on Saturday morning.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Putting. Inside. Hitting centre of putter, no real sim just set up practice and hitting middle of the face. 

keep it simple stupid. Best way I think. 

• Like 5

"C'mon be good"

On 7/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Just focus on strike, and swing thoughts. 

striking down and through for me with the correct tiempo, nothing more. 

• Like 1

"C'mon be good"

Got a call from “The Peaklette” at work this afternoon wondering if I wanted to hit some balls at the range. Of course I said yes. She’s going to be playing on a trip with some University friends this week but hasn’t touched the clubs for 6 months.

Of course she was flushing it, made me think about my swing.

• Like 6

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy