Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

For the last three days I've been going out for race against the sun practice rounds to work on my course management, club selection, and just general thought process on course.  I just haven't been feeling sitting at the range to work on swing mechanics like I have been over the last month.  The good news after all the swing work, my swing feels and looks better though it's still not as good as it is on the range.  Old habits die hard.  It's been fun being out on course with zero pressure, trying things, getting used to my new to me irons, and generally just taking a break from grinding and having fun.  I've also been playing two courses with different grasses on fairway and green.  I finally got the answer to why my home course is so sticky (Kikuyu) -- which is also why it burns out when the clay soil gets hard in the summer and you get the Woodley roll from the fairways.  This is Vs. Burmuda and Bent grass on the other course I played.  It's been pretty eye opening to play them in successive days practicing with wedges and seeing the difference on short approach.  I've also noticed my putting is way, way, way better when I'm relaxed and I think I've developed a pre-shot routine on the green that will help me find that 'happy' place.  😉

I did have an almost oh no moment the other day.  I was on a 205 yard par 3 trying a couple different clubs and shots.  I hit a 5 iron low draw for fun (normally my 185 ish carry club) and watched it bound up onto the green toward the pin.  I've never shouted at a ball to not go in before on a par 3 😆 but I was screaming at the thing before I lost sight of it.  I picked up the bag and hustled on down the fairway to find to my relief (weird) that it had not gone in.  I really did not want to have a hole in 1 with the mother of all asterisks.  In the end it looks like it might have rolled just by the hole to 5'.  I did, however, collect my asterisk birdie.  😉  

I also messed around recording the first stretch of Woodley the other day to see what my tendencies were and I was surprised to see how negative I am towards myself.  I know that I can be hard on myself, but solid shots are met with a meh, that's okay and bad shots are met with a lot of negativity.  Even though I end up +1 through 4 holes!!!!  I think I found a sneaky reason for eventual blowup holes.  That kind of negativity breeds into a self fulfilling prophecy and makes it really hard to have the ideal short term 'let it go' memory a golfer should have.  I've got a new thing to practice, being positive to myself after ever shot. 

Apologies for any plumbers crack in this video.  This guy probably should wear suspenders since I've turned into my dad.  Big tummy, little butt.  No belt can help me anymore.  😜

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

4 hours ago, Syks7 said:

...and I was surprised to see how negative I am towards myself.  I know that I can be hard on myself, but solid shots are met with a meh, that's okay and bad shots are met with a lot of negativity.  Even though I end up +1 through 4 holes!!!!  I think I found a sneaky reason for eventual blowup holes.  That kind of negativity breeds into a self fulfilling prophecy and makes it really have the ideal short term let it go memory a golfer should have.  I've got a new thing to practice, being positive to myself after ever shot. 

Yep, yep, yep and YEP!!!

That is way too much me also .. and am also committed this season to telling myself "Yeah, Dude!" on the good ones and "how can we learn from this and do better next time?" on those others 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

4 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I also messed around recording the first stretch of Woodley the other day to see what my tendencies were and I was surprised to see how negative I am towards myself.  I know that I can be hard on myself, but solid shots are met with a meh, that's okay and bad shots are met with a lot of negativity.  Even though I end up +1 through 4 holes!!!!  I think I found a sneaky reason for eventual blowup holes.  That kind of negativity breeds into a self fulfilling prophecy and makes it really have the ideal short term let it go memory a golfer should have.  I've got a new thing to practice, being positive to myself after ever shot. 

... Love this ^ because success breeds success and failure breeds failure. This isn't physical it is mental. The body has no idea what kind of shot it produces and it really doesn't care. But the brain deals with the information you give it. Instruct it to fail and it will do it's best to accomplish that goal. A command of "meh" will produce more "meh". But a congratulations for a job well done and an actual smile after aiming for the middle of the green when you end up on the fringe for a 20 foot birdie attempt and it will say to itself "If my master is happy on the fringe, lets get to the middle and really make him happy!" 

... So do yourself a favor and watch this weeks LPGA event. Take a look at Nelly Korda, maybe the purest ball striker on the planet, miss greens entirely, hit a few bad drives and miss some very makable putts. If one of the best in the world hits bad shots, why wouldn't you? Accept the bad and bask in the good and your game with thank you. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

We hit 75* yesterday and I was able to make some time for wedge practice in the backyard and get in some putting practice.  I've had thumb and wrist issues since Nov and at this point it seems it isn't going to get any better so I am experimenting for a grip and swing that works.  I think I found something that works for 1/2 swings with the wedge.  I will have to take it to the course and see if it is passable for full swings.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

10 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

We hit 75* yesterday and I was able to make some time for wedge practice in the backyard and get in some putting practice.  I've had thumb and wrist issues since Nov and at this point it seems it isn't going to get any better so I am experimenting for a grip and swing that works.  I think I found something that works for 1/2 swings with the wedge.  I will have to take it to the course and see if it is passable for full swings.

I’m wondering if you can 1/2 swing an 8 iron to get the distance of your wedge, I carry the even numbered 6-8-w-sandW irons to reduce the weight of my carry bag and when I use my bike. I’ve got used to that setup and now don’t need the rest except I’d add the gap wedge, my 5 wood and driver +putter are all I need but if playing a long course would add my 3wood…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

I’m wondering if you can 1/2 swing an 8 iron to get the distance of your wedge, I carry the even numbered 6-8-w-sandW irons to reduce the weight of my carry bag and when I use my bike. I’ve got used to that setup and now don’t need the rest except I’d add the gap wedge, my 5 wood and driver +putter are all I need but if playing a long course would add my 3wood…

Had some shoulder injuries last year and still wanted to practice. Instructor was always encouraging me to practice stuff with half swings to get the feel anyways and decided to play a round with only half swings. Thinking hey, I can still work on stuff without overdoing it and no pain compared to trying a full swing. Found out that half swings and about 2 club lengths were the magic formula. i.e. I need a full 9i, instead grab a  7 and give it a half swing. It was definitely more of a punch shot with lower trajectory but worked out ok and was still fun trying to get around the course like that.

I'd say experiment with it a bit to find how much extra club you need for the half shot but it should be pretty consistent throughout the bag.

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

32 minutes ago, snicerz said:

Had some shoulder injuries last year and still wanted to practice. Instructor was always encouraging me to practice stuff with half swings to get the feel anyways and decided to play a round with only half swings. Thinking hey, I can still work on stuff without overdoing it and no pain compared to trying a full swing. Found out that half swings and about 2 club lengths were the magic formula. i.e. I need a full 9i, instead grab a  7 and give it a half swing. It was definitely more of a punch shot with lower trajectory but worked out ok and was still fun trying to get around the course like that.

I'd say experiment with it a bit to find how much extra club you need for the half shot but it should be pretty consistent throughout the bag.

Yeah I found that worked out for me too, I try to keep my left arm at about 3 o'clock as I'm a right handed player. When I'm deciding if it's a 6iron or 8iron shot when distance is in the middle of those 2 clubs I look at where the most danger is and  that's how I decide which club I hit, the ONLY club I don't do that with is the Driver,...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

After a crappy weather week with cold, snow and ice meant no garage time, I got to hit in the garage a bit yesterday after my Stack session but the highlight of my weekend was this morning's trip up to the heated range to see some actual ball flight again. Mid-30s and sunny meant for a nice session, minus a pretty strong left-to-right crosswind that I needed to account for.

Probably the best range session I've had in a while, indoors or out. Had a lot of fun trying to hit different shots, doing the 9-box/shot drill especially. Tried to get myself into more of an on course mindset than just hitting balls at a target. 

Big focus has been pressure and where it goes throughout the swing. I have been working hard at trying to not get stuck on my back foot, and for the most part I've come a long ways this offseason. It was really obvious when hitting some partial 54 wedges today at the 66 yard flag, my contact and dispersion were exactly what I want to see out of a partial wedge. If I can continue that on course I see no reason why I couldn't break par this year.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

16 minutes ago, Bangsuk said:

Experimented with green side chips with two different wedge grinds to hit low/mid/high shots. 

Hey that’s smart mate, I’m going to try that. Cheers…

First time out on the driving range since the fall. Oof, there’s work to be done. That nasty hook showed up again, so I’ve got review my past lessons, settle down my swing and ease back into the groove. Just reserved a tee time for Thursday, so I’ll be out again at the range tomorrow, looking to get things loose and ready to go (no pressure, Bob).

On the range, my new Sub 70 699-U V2 5 (23°) did not disappoint.

I hit a few balls, and it’s a nice ball flight. At the moment it’s filling my 170-yard gap with a manageable dispersion easily—almost too easily. I was reviewing my distances, and while it’s filling the gap well now. I wonder what the story will be when I hit my groove. I can’t wait to see what happens.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this club is my gateway to Sub 70 irons … I love it when my conscious mind catches up with my subconscious intentions.

It’s going to be an interesting week, to say the least. 

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

34 minutes ago, berkeleybob said:

First time out on the driving range since the fall. Oof, there’s work to be done. That nasty hook showed up again, so I’ve got review my past lessons, settle down my swing and ease back into the groove. Just reserved a tee time for Thursday, so I’ll be out again at the range tomorrow, looking to get things loose and ready to go (no pressure, Bob).

I hit a few balls, and it’s a nice ball flight. At the moment it’s filling my 170-yard gap with a manageable dispersion easily—almost too easily. I was reviewing my distances, and while it’s filling the gap well now. I wonder what the story will be when I hit my groove. I can’t wait to see what happens.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this club is my gateway to Sub 70 irons … I love it when my conscious mind catches up with my subconscious intentions.

Looking forward to hearing how it all works out for you! Best of luck on Thursday as well, hope it's a fun opening round to the season. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Good Luck with that and may the force be with you. I know that I usually watch my Jim Hardy DVDs and work with a SHORT weighted training device in the basement during the winter so I can kinda keep my collective stuff together, and don't lose my swing. They're also really good refreshers to break bad habits before they become permanent issues. 

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

46 minutes ago, Merlin1313 said:

Good Luck with that and may the force be with you. I know that I usually watch my Jim Hardy DVDs and work with a SHORT weighted training device in the basement during the winter so I can kinda keep my collective stuff together, and don't lose my swing. They're also really good refreshers to break bad habits before they become permanent issues. 

That’s a great idea, the short weighted training device. I’m plagued with short ceilings everywhere. All I can do is putt. 😄

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

1 hour ago, berkeleybob said:

That’s a great idea, the short weighted training device. I’m plagued with short ceilings everywhere. All I can do is putt. 😄

I've seen them around- they're about 30" long w a training grip(comes off pretty easy) and a weighted cylinder at the end of the shaft with a removable plug(at least it was on mine) at the end

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

So- I was ATTEMPTING to do some chipping on a baseball field near where I work. A gentleman came up and told me I wasn't allowed to play golf or hit balls on the field. I told him him if he'd been watching me, he would've seen that I'd been doing neither 🙃. He kinda chuckled and informed that it was clearly stated on the signage and I would have to stop. Been doing that (weather permitting) for the past 2 moths or so.......... oh well

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

51 minutes ago, Merlin1313 said:

So- I was ATTEMPTING to do some chipping on a baseball field near where I work. A gentleman came up and told me I wasn't allowed to play golf or hit balls on the field. I told him him if he'd been watching me, he would've seen that I'd been doing neither 🙃. He kinda chuckled and informed that it was clearly stated on the signage and I would have to stop. Been doing that (weather permitting) for the past 2 moths or so.......... oh well

Yup, I got kicked off a Softball Field probably 30 years ago around corner from home, it’s OK if I didn’t pickup all balls a kid could have gotten hurt.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Yup, I got kicked off a Softball Field probably 30 years ago around corner from home, it’s OK if I didn’t pickup all balls a kid could have gotten hurt.

... And while I would assume any MGS member would be careful about not taking any divots, when I coached my sons baseball team through high school it was clear some moron was gouging huge chunks from of the outfield. 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... And while I would assume any MGS member would be careful about not taking any divots, when I coached my sons baseball team through high school it was clear some moron was gouging huge chunks from of the outfield. 

Yup, sure don’t want any kids injured.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

After a post by @snicerz, I decided to give some lessons at GolfTec a try.  Have only done the swing analysis so far, but even the advice and feedback given then I have gotten some useful advice and corrections to my swing.  We started by tackling my takeaway, and now even with a half (maybe three quarter swing) I'm getting improved distance with my mid irons.  Lots of work an training yet to do, but I think I'm going to wind up with a much more consistent strike very soon, as well as more distance and a better flight path.

My current swing is rather steep and while it works well for now I tend to come over the top a lot leaving myself open to mishits and slices with the longer clubs.  The first correction was to adjust my takeaway so that my shoulder and hip rotation was in sync, and letting the rotation take the club away instead of the other way around.  With that correction using a half swing I was able to hit just a few yards off target and get the same distance with my former swing.

What I'm practicing from this is:  Slow controlled takeaway to "halfway".  Do this three times while watching arms and club path/angles.  Then do a follow through swing starting wit a takeaway looking at a ghost ball and follow through at normal speed with acceleration through the ball.  Do this for 15 reps.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

2 hours ago, chisag said:

I COMPLETELY understand that but this was NOWHERE close to ANY of the diamonds and I think it's actually used as the the sideline/spectator area for IM/Junior soccer games. Oh well- just have to scout out another area

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

4 minutes ago, Merlin1313 said:

I COMPLETELY understand that but this was NOWHERE close to ANY of the diamonds and I think it's actually used as the the sideline/spectator area for IM/Junior soccer games. Oh well- just have to scout out another area

... I figured that from your post but it is the morons that ruin it for everyone else. And of course there are always Barney Fife's out there just itching to take the bullet out of their shirt pocket! 🤪

2 hours ago, Mr. Mushball said:

After a post by @snicerz, I decided to give some lessons at GolfTec a try.  Have only done the swing analysis so far, but even the advice and feedback given then I have gotten some useful advice and corrections to my swing.  We started by tackling my takeaway, and now even with a half (maybe three quarter swing) I'm getting improved distance with my mid irons.  Lots of work an training yet to do, but I think I'm going to wind up with a much more consistent strike very soon, as well as more distance and a better flight path.

My current swing is rather steep and while it works well for now I tend to come over the top a lot leaving myself open to mishits and slices with the longer clubs.  The first correction was to adjust my takeaway so that my shoulder and hip rotation was in sync, and letting the rotation take the club away instead of the other way around.  With that correction using a half swing I was able to hit just a few yards off target and get the same distance with my former swing.

What I'm practicing from this is:  Slow controlled takeaway to "halfway".  Do this three times while watching arms and club path/angles.  Then do a follow through swing starting wit a takeaway looking at a ghost ball and follow through at normal speed with acceleration through the ball.  Do this for 15 reps.

Hey I'm excited for you. I hope you get as much out of the lessons as I have. Just remember that lessons are only part of it. You have to put in the time to ingrain what you are learning. Changes will take time but with enough time and effort, you can realize some pretty incredible results.

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

Practicing today with sand and gap wedges, hitting gap from 80metres and sw from 70 which I Big stepped out lol. The pic shows one club was really good with 5 out of 5 shots on the green, and it’s the oldest one and my favourite. Think I might try bending  my pw which matches the sw out to 49deg from 46, I can’t play with these irons as I’m missing the 9iron sad 😢 

2648F538-056A-42B0-9639-90F55C0089CD.jpeg

37 minutes ago, snicerz said:

Hey I'm excited for you. I hope you get as much out of the lessons as I have. Just remember that lessons are only part of it. You have to put in the time to ingrain what you are learning. Changes will take time but with enough time and effort, you can realize some pretty incredible results.

I'm ready for the work, have never shied away from it.  I've been working on what I've been trying to learn on my own (rightly or wrongly) as much as I can, but as it's mostly been wrongly need help to get back on track. 

I've also been working with a really great trainer (DC and neuropathologist) to help me get out of the rut of training in a 30 year old injury.  This is a quality of life change; not golf related, but it's helping there too.  Big life changes that all take incremental but dedicated practice.  I live by the the philosophy of it's better to practice something slowly and deliberately a few times often than practicing with long sessions infrequently.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

Today I practiced realigning expectations.

Apart from being a little stiff, the temperature has dropped, the wind has blown in and the clouds brought a little wrinkle to today’s range session.

E1D48660-7F45-42E5-9744-1E347C8538FD.jpeg.e27ca0141febc86bae079a46e2b796bb.jpeg

Out there is melted hail—as in:

Hail Mary, please bring a little more sunshine to the course tomorrow.

Looking at my clubs’ carry yardage results (because practice balls can’t part the wind or roll on water), it’s clear, come tee time I’m just going to focus on my swing more than ever. The course won’t be this bad—it can’t be this bad—but I just have to forget distance and keep to the fairway as much as possible.

All I need to do is channel Dory and just keep swimming, just keep swi—wrong mantra … just keep stretching, just keep stretching, just keep stretching

WITB 2024

2 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Think I might try bending  my pw which matches the sw out to 49deg from 46, I can’t play with these irons as I’m missing the 9iron sad 😢 

3º is a big change for a wedge, even a forged wedge and probably not recommended for a cast wedge.  I wouldn't go more than 2º.  You are also changing how it interacts with the turf and affecting the offset.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”