What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In all of these videos you have the same issues. It looks like too much focus on width which results in no wrist set in your swing. This turns into a collapsing right elbow that bends past 90* which then leads to your wrists setting and causing the club to bounce (Monte and especially AMG talk about this). You then move your entire body in transition causing an ott type move with a steep shaft and your right arm getting stick behind you. At this point you body will do whatever is needed to try and square the club and days or even shots where it marches up you will hit decent shots but going to be more shots and days of inconsistency than consistency. 

the paid version of not turn cast videos and/or the efficient swing would be good to work on this. Parts of drive 4 dough would help as well. 

I was hoping you would comment on this, as I've seen you post a bit on other swing videos and you have a good eye for swing flaws. I appreciate the critique and the observation that I'm getting too wide. I think trying to gain speed with SuperSpeed has probably leaked into my subconscious causing a ripple effect with every club in my bag. I've noticed how bad my trail arm has looked in a lot of videos pausing and going on slow motion and was curious to find what might be a root cause. 1039727872_Screenshot_20210713-120311_VideoPlayer-01.jpeg.9914b2cc266f40696a2e675c681bf906.jpeg

I'm planning on getting lessons later this year once the problems in the automotive industry become more stable and I know we'll have steady work. Right now things are a bit iffy and I can't justify the cost with the fear in the back of my mind off either reduced hours or a layoff. At least they're doing everything possible to keep it going by sharing parts between plants and sending us stuff since our product is selling well. 

Gotta give it to my wife, she's the one that is really pushing me to get lessons.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I was hoping you would comment on this, as I've seen you post a bit on other swing videos and you have a good eye for swing flaws. I appreciate the critique and the observation that I'm getting too wide. I think trying to gain speed with SuperSpeed has probably leaked into my subconscious causing a ripple effect with every club in my bag. I've noticed how bad my trail arm has looked in a lot of videos pausing and going on slow motion and was curious to find what might be a root cause. 1039727872_Screenshot_20210713-120311_VideoPlayer-01.jpeg.9914b2cc266f40696a2e675c681bf906.jpeg

I'm planning on getting lessons later this year once the problems in the automotive industry become more stable and I know we'll have steady work. Right now things are a bit iffy and I can't justify the cost with the fear in the back of my mind off either reduced hours or a layoff. At least they're doing everything possible to keep it going by sharing parts between plants and sending us stuff since our product is selling well. 

Gotta give it to my wife, she's the one that is really pushing me to get lessons.

Thanks again for your help!

If you have a recent video I’ll take a look for you. What I seen I the pic is the right arm is dominating your transition and instead of externally rotating it’s doing the opposite and internally rotating and which causes it to then get on top of the left arm and steeping the shaft. And from this point you options are miss the ball if you keep going or you have to dump the right shoulder or right side to shallow in an attempt to make contact. This is all compensation for something you are doing in the takeaway and or backswing. 

a good video from face on so we can look at setup and how you move in the takeaway along with a down the line so we can see the arms and body movement. 

• Like 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you have a recent video I’ll take a look for you. What I seen I the pic is the right arm is dominating your transition and instead of externally rotating it’s doing the opposite and internally rotating and which causes it to then get on top of the left arm and steeping the shaft. And from this point you options are miss the ball if you keep going or you have to dump the right shoulder or right side to shallow in an attempt to make contact. This is all compensation for something you are doing in the takeaway and or backswing. 

a good video from face on so we can look at setup and how you move in the takeaway along with a down the line so we can see the arms and body movement. 

I'll try to get a video for you sometime this week, those I posted are actually from Sunday and the current state of my swing. I'll try to get better angles for you, my tripod lost part of a leg when I took it out of my bag. Fortunately, I have another one but it was at the house. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'll try to get a video for you sometime this week, those I posted are actually from Sunday and the current state of my swing. I'll try to get better angles for you, my tripod lost part of a leg when I took it out of my bag. Fortunately, I have another one but it was at the house. 

I’ll take some screen grabs from those videos to show you what I’m talking about. And then can take a look at the ones you get later this week 

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

More work with the driver this morning at the range.  

Trying to hit toe / heel and high toe balls.  I've found that this SIM2, unlike my LST flies better with center face strikes.  The LST would fly when I could catch it just up and towards the toe while this is more of a lower / center strike driver.  

I still can't turn it over with any R-L topspin.  I can hit a closed face pull but the draws and hooks are not happening and that is fantastic.

• Like 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll take some screen grabs from those videos to show you what I’m talking about. And then can take a look at the ones you get later this week 

I would appreciate it, I was just about to Google external and internal rotation of forearms in the golf swing. I would assume internal rotation, for lack of a better analogy, is palm rotating toward the ground if I was swinging without a club. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Yeah from this angle it’s hard to tell for sure on somethings in the takeaway and backswing but what I see to start the swing you appear to be more arms in the takeaway rather than chest/shoulders moving it for you. First pic. Not necessarily bad but can cause issues.

your shoulders and hips appear to turn flat instead of the left side getting some bend towards the ground and you don’t have any wrist set as mentioned earlier. From this angle and it might not be the case when a true dtl video but the club looks to have gotten inside too much. Second pic 

Now as you work your way to the top you hands get deep but you don’t have any hip depth and you left arm is starting to rotate getting the club pointed out away from the ball and target line where it should be pointed at or up to about 6” inside it. Third and fourth pic

From here you lift the arms and over extend causing the right arm to be bent too much and the club getting long. Fourth and fifth pics. I didn’t capture the full swing at the top but if you look in slo mo you can see the run off of the club and body. Fifth pic

In transition because of the arm depth and lack of hip depth along with being flat you move the whole body which cause the club to get outside and start that ott type move and the steeping shaft mentioned earlier. Sixth pic 

In the seventh and eighth pics you can see the body start to stall and the club getting further outside and then kind of having to start to stand up in the last pic. This could more exaggerate looking based on angle but as I mentioned in the earlier post these are compensations that have to happen because of where the club is. 

Working on being more connected in the takeaway and getting the wrist set by club parallel will fix some of the issues. Getting the shoulders and hips to work on and angle will fix some of the other issues. Getting these two pieces to work together will be what helps the transition better. 

The no turn cast series makes the takeaway, wrist set, hip and shoulder movements work properly. This is the first part of his drill series. If you don’t have that you can watch the YouTube video around the 2:45 mark for the no turn portion

9EC903EA-3C5F-4385-9DFF-4A73B7D26FA9.jpeg

1F27CFE4-45F5-4E24-AF05-F750C52488D5.jpeg

8D311258-68BF-4268-B4BE-55A51B08D7C1.jpeg

88812869-B4EC-4EF2-8238-832A4F01B135.jpeg

50E86EF6-2BD4-4C53-A6D4-110A51C6A955.jpeg

F3B0A94C-FC3F-44C3-BA38-6EA43FEAE893.jpeg

A5BEC8E0-B7BB-473E-A29F-D650DC8F00D9.jpeg

F18DB258-96F8-4213-A8DA-93491E600209.jpeg

E1C42620-F293-4143-B1CD-5ACBACFBD621.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I would appreciate it, I was just about to Google external and internal rotation of forearms in the golf swing. I would assume internal rotation, for lack of a better analogy, is palm rotating toward the ground if I was swinging without a club. 

You are correct in what your thinking. 

• Like 1

Working on complementing my fit for golf regimen with some speed drills on some off days. Luckily Mike Carol has some in his app that don’t need speedsticks. Will see if I make any progress in overall distance in the next 4-6 months. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

17 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

We had an accident at the plant today, which I will cover in another thread, and I went to the range again today. I wanted to take some video, but my shirt flew up exposing my underbelly and I ain't posting that publicly. 

Worked on alignment, I sat a couple of alignment sticks down and am constantly amazed at how far right correct aim feels. My ball striking was decent with irons, though. 

Hit some fairway woods and was able to get about half of them to look good and topped the other half. 

Driver flew good, even for only decent strikes. I was focussed on hitting different parts of the ball to see if I could influence ball flight. I was hitting high on the face, but my results were mostly good. I did hit one that I pulled and another off the toe that ended up weakly drawing. 20210713_150821-01.jpeg.f2af338e67ee87ffb2f52de12b1e5bcb.jpeg20210713_150523-01.jpeg.927bdfa2d4aae4fbb0db0f3ff7cc9783.jpeg

I'll get back out this weekend if the weather permits and get some better video. I am disappointed this didn't turn out because I finally got the camera alignment right. 

Love the work. Adam young has been so helpful to me and looks like you as well. Keep it up! Your post reminds me I’m almost out of foot spray, lol. 

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Hit the range haven't golf in a bit due to a wrist injury .. the wrist still hurts but not when I swing a golf club so just worked on hitting the ball to the spot and it was a good session .. couple chunks and snap hooks but what ya going to do 

• Like 7

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I had a great pre-work range session today. Lots of practice swings with the driver in between shots where I'm feeling my back stay to the target as I start the downswing. When I do it right, the result is a straight shot with a tiny baby fade of a yard or two at the end, or a push which I can live with since it means I'm in to out and not lunging at the ball. Misses were pulls when I still started to move forward on the downswing. 

Irons and wedges were pretty good, aiming to various markers and pins. Didn't have time to get to the practice green with needing to come into the office. The bigger thing is taking the decent driver to the course, which didn't happen last time. Just need more time to really ingrain that newer downswing feel and stop myself from lunging. 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Not today but yesterday. I've been focusing on chipping and putting the past few weeks more so than before.  It was costing me a heck of a lot of strokes and it needed to be fixed. Was able to save a few shots out there during my 9 hole league yesterday and missed out on three birdie putts that glazed the hole. Overall, I'm happy on the trend up on that side of the game. Of course the driver decided to not play nice🤔😔☹️...lol

MDGolfHacker

• Like 7

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

2 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Not today but yesterday. I've been focusing on chipping and putting the past few weeks more so than before.  It was costing me a heck of a lot of strokes and it needed to be fixed. Was able to save a few shots out there during my 9 hole league yesterday and missed out on three birdie putts that glazed the hole. Overall, I'm happy on the trend up on that side of the game. Of course the driver decided to not play nice🤔😔☹️...lol

MDGolfHacker

Not your fault, the other clubs get “jealous “ and don’t play nice if you don’t focus on them.

a bit narcissistic of them, happens to me regularly 😜

seriously working on short game seems to always help my Tempo and Focus which helps thru the bag…..sometimes.

• Like 7

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Range day. After warm up and some iron work moved to driver and tried to ramp up the speed. For most part was ok. Started to get hooky. Also tried the heavier shaft I had and seemed to strike it better. Ack to sorbet conundrum there

chipping practice  with GW-58*. GW will be only chips. 54 for bunkers. 58 for touch shots and deep bunkers

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Got home from work and ran out to the range as it was showing a chance of rain. It's supposed to be wet all weekend, so in my study I didn't grab the GoPro or my tripod. 

Started out working on wedges, I didn't hit too many as I had other plans. So I moved on to irons focusing on alignment. I hit some decent shots and I'm happy with that since I'm working on an overlap grip. I've noticed, and it's also been pointed out, that my right hand comes part way off the grip on my downswing. (Thanks @bens197!) It's a bit awkward, but I have used it some in the past with SuperSpeed. 

Got to my nemesis fairway woods and decided to try Monte's "No Turn Cast"...wow! I didn't hit all great shots, but I hit more decent 3 woods than I have in a long time. I also hit some irons and they also weren't perfect but a lot of shots felt great. Thanks to @RickyBobby_PR, @Kenny B, and anyone else that has recommended that drill. 

Driver was still pretty good, I'm hitting a little high on the face, but contact is tightening up. 20210716_175754-01.jpeg.38cad8a3e58cad40d7d5503f5f26adf9.jpeg

Some good progress there

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Got home from work and ran out to the range as it was showing a chance of rain. It's supposed to be wet all weekend, so in my study I didn't grab the GoPro or my tripod. 

Started out working on wedges, I didn't hit too many as I had other plans. So I moved on to irons focusing on alignment. I hit some decent shots and I'm happy with that since I'm working on an overlap grip. I've noticed, and it's also been pointed out, that my right hand comes part way off the grip on my downswing. (Thanks @bens197!) It's a bit awkward, but I have used it some in the past with SuperSpeed. 

Got to my nemesis fairway woods and decided to try Monte's "No Turn Cast"...wow! I didn't hit all great shots, but I hit more decent 3 woods than I have in a long time. I also hit some irons and they also weren't perfect but a lot of shots felt great. Thanks to @RickyBobby_PR, @Kenny B, and anyone else that has recommended that drill. 

Driver was still pretty good, I'm hitting a little high on the face, but contact is tightening up. 20210716_175754-01.jpeg.38cad8a3e58cad40d7d5503f5f26adf9.jpeg

Keep it up bro...awesome gains!

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

So I finally was able to get on the range and have Laura video me for my lesson. 

I was able to practice for 30 minutes before she and her husband got there. Practice on the front range on Friday at Bayou is always a pain because the guy who sets the ropes is old, blind and doesn’t realize he puts them on a severe downslope all the time.

But I couldn’t go to the back because Laura would never find me so……

The good news is that practicing off a downhill, extremely tight lie is a very good thing. Once I got loose I really hit them well - except driver - it’s very hard to hit driver on a down slope. 

When Laura and Cody got there I had hit about 35 shots. For my lesson I needed to send a video from behind and a face on one. It’s done on an app 

The from behind angle swing produced a nice enough shot. It was a few grooves low and a bit left probably just off the green. The face on view was absolutely a perfect result. I told Laura’s hubby where I was aiming after the shot and he said, “Your shot never left that mark!”

So I got home and viewed the video. I must say that I could never be a teacher. I thought the from behind swing looked so much better than the face on one. But the face on one produced much better results.

i will be curious to hear what my new teacher has to say. 

• Like 6

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.