What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

On 7/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Rickp said:

Not your fault, the other clubs get “jealous “ and don’t play nice if you don’t focus on them.

a bit narcissistic of them, happens to me regularly 😜

seriously working on short game seems to always help my Tempo and Focus which helps thru the bag…..sometimes.

This is so true - I find that when I work on my chipping it tends to help through the bag. 

I have a gap of time between going to lunch with a mom and her daughter, who just got a tattoo and is scared that her mom will be mad at her - she will but she’ll get over it - and a wedding this evening.

Never a dull moment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

This July hasn't been the most golf-optimal weather; it's been pouring rain like it's April.  

Indoor wedge work...I have an area rug in the back sunroom that's good for tight lie chipping.  Working on some ball contact and trying to hit some 6' chips.  No broken windows yet!

• Like 9
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I felt good enough this morning for a backyard wedge session with the Mevo.  12 warmup without collecting data and then 4 more batches of 12 - 14 collecting data.  I even remembered to do the @sirchunksalot footspray!

IMG_20210717_071553071.jpg.aa8d2e4b3620213b205634ba2d8423ce.jpg

Below is the average and std dev of the 50 or so shots.  I was really liking my consistent carry distance this morning.   I have a new to me mat that doesn't have the tight lie factor my old mat has and I think that was the reason for the consistency.  I realized i need to cut the grass as a couple that bounced off the wall and went into the yard were real hard to find or went missing until the next round!

Ball Speed (mph)               Club Speed (mph)              Smash   Carry Distance (yds)

60.051                                                51.721                  1.166                    63.87

2.146                                                  3.608                    0.087                    3.358

You've really got your wedge game dialed in! That strike pattern looks nice and tight. 

• Like 4

57* practice session this morning...  Average and Std Dev for 46 shots.  I had consistent face contact but no footspray evidence since the can refused to spray this morning even though there was stuff in it....sorry @sirchunksalot  !  Its interesting the std dev of the carry distance is 1/2 yard worse with the 57 today vs the 53 from yesterday even though its the shorter distance and club.   Its just a 'feels' thing but I think it can be attributed to the ball sliding up the face a little when my hands were even or behind the ball at impact compared to other shots that were nipped with my hands ahead of the ball.  I think I am less likely to have it slide up the face with the 53* on the longer shot.

Ball Speed (mph)               Club Speed (mph)              Carry Distance (yds)         Spin (rpm)            Height (ft)

52.66                                   46.12                                   51.8                                     8764.02               40.72

2.27                                     4.49                                     3.80                                     1393.10               5.13

• Like 6

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Went to the range yesterday and hit a bunch of balls, probably too many! I started on the mat with a drill I learned from a teacher in TX that helps me work on the rotation of the wrists, and left knuckles down through impact. Added to that drill getting my right side through the strike, then went to grass and hit 20 more balls that way. Then to full shots. Got steep again at the end, which is what always happens when I can’t rotate anymore.

I took the Sub 70 fairway to hit vs the Super Hybrid. I hit the Sub 70 better than the Super, but it still wasn’t the set-up I need. Too spinny, with the shaft just too loose and whippy. It’s an X, but has to be a softer tip than I’m used to. Erratic with both, but probably better with the fairway. The search continues….

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Took my 4 year old to range so he can rip some shots .. I need up practicing with aim to get with in 10 yard radius of the flag or spot I wanted .. went pretty well but was kind of windy  

• Like 6

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Tinkered with some NTC work while my daughter napped. Video posted. Really struggled with the slicey Sammy swing today during my round. Hit only one good drive and even that was 20 yards short of where I know I can hit it 

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

44 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

After purchasing Monte Scheinblum's NTC video, I decided to go to the range again today and work on some of the concepts. I've been practicing around the house with a club, but there's nothing like the real thing. 

I can't say it was the best day I've had ball striking, but a significant swing change is going to be hard. I accepted this fact before going leaving the house and you'd be surprised at how less discouraging a plethora of topped shots can be. 

Here's a couple of my better shots from today, I need to work on starting my downswing with my hips and work on the flying right elbow, although I believe it's less pronounced than before. 

Going forward, I plan on working on shoulder and hip flexibility. Shoulders especially, since my job tends to beat them to death. It's a work in progress, but I feel it'll pay off in the long run. 

Good work and keep it up. Two things I noticed right away is you really take your club back to the inside. If you do that with NTC, your clu really won’t have any where to go. Second, face on, somehow your shoulder/club setup looks off to me. Don’t know if that is right or wrong. Just an observation. Keep grinding!!

• Like 3

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

Since I've been struggling with solid contact with my driver, I went to the range today with only my driver.  Focused on all my past lessons from my coach -- takeaway, ensuring that I keep the club out in front of me rather than letting it get behind me and too flat,  good turn with both hips and shoulders, allowing bowing of the lead hand at the top, awareness of pressure points of my feet throughout the swing, particularly at setup, at the top and transition, and good hip rotation on the through swing.  I keenly focused on one dimple near the lower-rear quadrant of the ball through contact -- this one point seemed to help me the most.  I also found choking up about an inch on the grip helped me with better center contacts.   By the end of the session, I was striping the ball cleanly with a small baby draw fairly center to my intended target.  Now, I won't be playing until Wednesday, but I hope to get out for at least another session before then and "hopefully" I can carry my improvements to the course with me.  (Trust your swing, Carl!!!!)

• Like 7

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

36 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Good work and keep it up. Two things I noticed right away is you really take your club back to the inside. If you do that with NTC, your clu really won’t have any where to go. Second, face on, somehow your shoulder/club setup looks off to me. Don’t know if that is right or wrong. Just an observation. Keep grinding!!

I appreciate the feedback! The inside takeaway is something I'm trying to work out, I think I get it ironed out, but feel and real are two different things. I think I'm getting the club outside my hands, and then I see it on camera. Guess it's time to get back on the Planemate, I've slacked recently. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

After purchasing Monte Scheinblum's NTC video, I decided to go to the range again today and work on some of the concepts. I've been practicing around the house with a club, but there's nothing like the real thing. 

I can't say it was the best day I've had ball striking, but a significant swing change is going to be hard. I accepted this fact before going leaving the house and you'd be surprised at how less discouraging a plethora of topped shots can be. 

Here's a couple of my better shots from today, I need to work on starting my downswing with my hips and work on the flying right elbow, although I believe it's less pronounced than before. 

Going forward, I plan on working on shoulder and hip flexibility. Shoulders especially, since my job tends to beat them to death. It's a work in progress, but I feel it'll pay off in the long run. 

When we look at dtl your shoulders look way open compared to the hips, from face on it doesn’t look as bad, but what Monte talks about is a little difference is ok but Tony the extremes. The alignment stick closest to you should match your hips and shoulders. Here it’s parallel to target and and to the right of your body lines.

in your takeaway there’s no wrist set which is contributing to the inside takeaway. If you look at where your hips are at address and each of the pics from dtl there’s no change in depth. From face on we see almost a reverse pivot because of this and in the pic where your left heel is off the ground that was more of your picking it up than letting the hip rotation causing it to happen. Because of the lack of wrist set at the top of your swing your left wrist is cupped. You don’t do any of cast A so as you transition you don’t move the wrist into flexion(bowing the wrist) so your face is wide open at club parallel and into impact so you have to stall the hips and stand up to get the club square and therefore have no shaft lean and add a bunch of loft at impact.

Focus on drill one even at the range and hit balls from drill one position 

43C7ECA0-BDEA-43B2-93AF-D8E02C35B9D1.png

F2379743-BA51-42B6-B3F8-A53AD94D75AC.png

58C69E25-3C0D-4531-B1D7-255279CE811D.png

3F6A8036-7B60-4327-91C6-C4FBFD3B831D.png

088C1589-7EB9-43CA-A388-A01F28BAE694.png

5EB29AEB-306B-4D74-BCE9-4FF60B7A1B56.png

E9ABA0AA-BEE3-4163-9DCD-36B06FCDD1D9.png

099D6B07-8338-49AF-B367-7B6DDB44F828.png

C2DE246C-9E0D-4017-865C-0BBD693A04CE.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Got up too late to do fit for golf before work. Worked on NTC/planemate with my driver slowly to get feels down. Mainly focusing on top of swing, having the wrist hinge, then bump and cast simultaneously.  Also did some 9-3 work to work on syncing my lower and upper body better

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Mainly focusing on top of swing, having the wrist hinge,

The focus should be on backswing a. If you aren’t in the proper spot here working on top of swing or what is called backswing b in ntc isn’t going to do much.

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

then bump and cast simultaneously. 

There’s no bump in ntc. If you bump then your upper body ends up tilted away from the target and will impede rotation. 

It’s an increase left knee flex which adds left side bend. In the actual swing this happens between left arm parallel and top of the swing so trying to do that and casting at the same time isn’t the proper approach. it starts with the increase knee flex then cast a.

To make these changes ntc should be done in pieces starting with backswing A and hitting balls from there until that’s a comfortable thing and so on. Changing motor patterns takes time and by time it’s not a range session or two

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The focus should be on backswing a. If you aren’t in the proper spot here working on top of swing or what is called backswing b in ntc isn’t going to do much.

There’s no bump in ntc. If you bump then your upper body ends up tilted away from the target and will impede rotation. 

It’s an increase left knee flex which adds left side bend. In the actual swing this happens between left arm parallel and top of the swing so trying to do that and casting at the same time isn’t the proper approach. it starts with the increase knee flex then cast a.

To make these changes ntc should be done in pieces starting with backswing A and hitting balls from there until that’s a comfortable thing and so on. Changing motor patterns takes time and by time it’s not a range session or two

interesting. i thought in NTC and all his videos there is always a left hip bump/slide sorta. So left knee flex, kind of like a squat happening then?

6 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

interesting. i thought in NTC and all his videos there is always a left hip bump/slide sorta. So left knee flex, kind of like a squat happening then?

He does have some videos where he talks about a bump, he has a drill in the drive for dough series called bump, dump, turn but like any drill it’s an exaggeration feel 

In NTC transition teaching video and the drill he talks about adding left knee flex and when you watch the video you can see most of his pressure and mass move to the left. It can appear as a slide but it’s really a pressure shift into the left side.

• Like 2

Been hitting the ball pretty well lately, especially with the 60/60/100 drill feel mixed in with some Faldo drill feels that I worked on with my instructor last lesson. Working at the range on trying to cement in those feels with mixed success. 

Still have a tendency to lose that 60 percent feel during my backswing, which is made worse when I let my feet get too wide at setup. Pressure shifts to my trail side and never gets back to the front. Leads me to thins and blocks, and when my timing is really poor, high fades/slices.

Spent the last 20 or so balls really keeping the pressure forward and had some success.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.1 / Anti-Cap: 14.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

... I have been struggling lately and went out yesterday for a practice round at 5pm and had the course to myself. @#@#$%%^(%*& back has been a problem all year and most days I just seem to be too tight to swing with the freedom I need to play my best. I would hit a really good day and shoot a 69 but then the next day felt stiff from the get go and back to mid or even upper 70's. I talked to one of my friends I taught with years ago in Chicago and he told me he always marveled at how relaxed I was swinging the golf club and reminded me of something I told him "Your address position should be like a free throw. Active and ready ... but relaxed". (To be fair I always marveled at his swing which was shorter, compact and explosive and seemed like little could go wrong). One thing I used to tell my students that tried to muscle the ball was Nicklaus said he wanted his arms to feel like "overcooked spaghetti." So my main focus yesterday was being completely relaxed regardless of how poorly I hit the ball. 

... Hit a couple of bad tee shots off the first tee and played several balls from the best with 205 to a back flag. I hit three 4 irons inside of 10 feet. It felt effortless as far as tension but I was swinging as fast as I possible could while staying relaxed. It just goes to show what I tell others all the time, when it doesn't count you can swing much freer. Obviously if I hit balls far into the desert it didn't matter because I could just drop another ball and hit again. So it was great reminder to swing like I don't care where the ball ends up. 

... Rest of the practice round went very well hitting the ball both farther and straighter than I have in quite some time. By the time I got to #16 after hitting so many shots my back started to tighten up again. Hit some really bad shots on #16 and #17 so I took a little break in the shade since it as 104*, then stretched some, took some free wheeling swings and had the relaxed feel again and played #18 well.

... I am not recommending you go out and swing in a relaxed state (although it might be a good experiment) but that is a swing thought that works for me. It is like having a picture of myself in my head of Freddie and not Tiger/Rory/Thomas. When playing my best I always channeled smooth swingers like Freddie, Larry Mize and Tom Purtzer. I am looking forward to my next round to see if I can retain the relaxed feel. 

• Like 9

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have been struggling lately and went out yesterday for a practice round at 5pm and had the course to myself. @#@#$%%^(%*& back has been a problem all year and most days I just seem to be too tight to swing with the freedom I need to play my best. I would hit a really good day and shoot a 69 but then the next day felt stiff from the get go and back to mid or even upper 70's. I talked to one of my friends I taught with years ago in Chicago and he told me he always marveled at how relaxed I was swinging the golf club and reminded me of something I told him "Your address position should be like a free throw. Active and ready ... but relaxed". (To be fair I always marveled at his swing which was shorter, compact and explosive and seemed like little could go wrong). One thing I used to tell my students that tried to muscle the ball was Nicklaus said he wanted his arms to feel like "overcooked spaghetti." So my main focus yesterday was being completely relaxed regardless of how poorly I hit the ball. 

... Hit a couple of bad tee shots off the first tee and played several balls from the best with 205 to a back flag. I hit three 4 irons inside of 10 feet. It felt effortless as far as tension but I was swinging as fast as I possible could while staying relaxed. It just goes to show what I tell others all the time, when it doesn't count you can swing much freer. Obviously if I hit balls far into the desert it didn't matter because I could just drop another ball and hit again. So it was great reminder to swing like I don't care where the ball ends up. 

... Rest of the practice round went very well hitting the ball both farther and straighter than I have in quite some time. By the time I got to #16 after hitting so many shots my back started to tighten up again. Hit some really bad shots on #16 and #17 so I took a little break in the shade since it as 104*, then stretched some, took some free wheeling swings and had the relaxed feel again and played #18 well.

... I am not recommending you go out and swing in a relaxed state (although it might be a good experiment) but that is a swing thought that works for me. It is like having a picture of myself in my head of Freddie and not Tiger/Rory/Thomas. When playing my best I always channeled smooth swingers like Freddie, Larry Mize and Tom Purtzer. I am looking forward to my next round to see if I can retain the relaxed feel. 

Maybe the relaxed frame of mind was what helped. 

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index