What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thai goes for pretty much every golfer. What we feel and what is seen on video of recording are two different things. GG touches on it in his website course in a couple sections. Monte talks about it in a lot of videos on his site and social media. AMG does as well. It’s usually why exaggerated movements are used for drills and getting the golfer to feel things. 

I have had a couple instructors say the same thing in lessons. Feel x and then when looking at the video it looks nothing like the feel. 

totally agree. had the intention today to do half swings and it turned out i was still over rotating with my shoulders. 😛 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

12 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I noted above about how for me, feel isn't real - when I think I'm swinging with backswing A, my hands are actually almost at shoulder height and I hit consistent, pretty straight shots with irons & wedges. Just focusing on that helped me a lot. When I was in lessons, I was told to feel like my hands didn't pass my thigh and I was a little past left arm parallel. Our body perception can be weird sometimes. 

To add on to my earlier reply. Look at Justin Rose and the drill he does to feel the club drop while keeping the back to the target more or to an extreme of that Alex Noren.

Tiger talks about Butch having him feel like the jaded beat the body to the ball. 

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

That's my problem.  I don't take shots where I need to take distance off, except for shots under 80 yards.  So I guess for me the backswing A swing is a partial shot with wedges.  I do pretty well with that shot.  If I try that shot with longer clubs, my tendency is to start the downswing with upper body resulting in really bad results.  I must make a conscience effort to get to backswing B which delays the start of the downswing enough that I make the proper rotation.

Lots of ways to skin the cat for partial shots. GG in his short game section on the website talks about using the 60 yard lob wedge shot to determine how far every club in the bag will go for that same swing length. His 7i distance for that same swing is 150 yards iirc.

he uses swing length and 3 speeds for chips and pitches based on what trajectory the ball needs to come out on and how it will roll on the green.

Then when you need the longer than 60 yard lob wedge swing you have the clock system and speed again.

As far as what you are saying this relates to what Monte covers in the transition part of NTC and keeping back to the target longer. The transition is the increased knee flex along with the cast A. When cast A is done the lead arm is back at parallel and it’s a rotation of the body at that point to the ball. Hitting shots from lead arm parallel helps engrain that movement pattern especially for those who have to make a significant change in their current movement patterns. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

37 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It's fun to watch a golfers initial reaction to their swings on video for the first time.  "Wait, that's what it looks like?"

The first thought that came to mind was "wow that can't be right", but hey gotta own it right

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

25 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

The first thought that came to mind was "wow that can't be right", but hey gotta own it right

You gotta own it...swing your swing! 

• Like 6
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

22 minutes ago, bens197 said:

You gotta own it...swing your swing! 

... I wonder what Chi Chi, Palmer, Floyd and Trevino would have thought of a modern instructor taking apart their "flawed" swings on video. Same thing today for Furyk, Wolff and Bubba. There was a Golf Digest article many years ago that showed all of the top players at impact and with wildly different backswings, their impact positions were virtually identical. Like you said ... swing your swing and make adjustments if necessary based on ball flight and accuracy, not how it looks on video. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Have been getting kind of wipey and hitting irons out to the right so worked on the feeling of my arms beating my hips to the ball. I doubt that is what it looks like but it keeps me from spinning out and I was hitting the ball more solidly today. Only time will tell how long this feel will last or if I end of hitting big hooks or pulls as a result. I have the tendency of getting to the top and just turning my body through it which, for me, usually leads to an open clubface at impact. 

Edited by vandyland
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I wonder what Chi Chi, Palmer, Floyd and Trevino would have thought of a modern instructor taking apart their "flawed" swings on video. Same thing today for Furyk, Wolff and Bubba. There was a Golf Digest article many years ago that showed all of the top players at impact and with wildly different backswings, their impact positions were virtually identical. Like you said ... swing your swing and make adjustments if necessary based on ball flight and accuracy, not how it looks on video. 

For some reason, I've been watching a lot of Faldo from the mid-90's.  There was something fantastic about his swing.  It was wide but compact, fluid but aggressive.

In an interview a few years ago, he was talking about the golfball and how his swing didn't necessarily work well with the new style ball.  When he was busy winning majors and Ryder Cups, he said he would be so focused on compressing the ball.  For fun, it would be neat to see if any of those swings would produce similar results with newer technology.

• Like 6
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

20 hours ago, russtopherb said:

With the NTC, just getting to left arm parallel and setting the wrists, then focusing on cast B is something that's a lot like I had worked on when I took lessons a few years ago. Because doing that alone get a lot of people, including me, into a good backswing position with proper wrist set. One thing I personally have learned is that since I have a strong grip, trying for the totally flat wrist actually leaves me with a closed face. Feeling like I'm just going thumbs up at waist high is a lot more like a full backswing. 

Just for fun, I checked out the cast B drill and that looks like it's going to take a minute or thousand for me to get down. I'm not going to jump ahead, just like seeing what all the video entails to satisfy my curiosity. 

16 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Great comments!  I saw the same things.  

@sirchunksalot I recommend watching the NTC video one section at a time, focusing on the moves Monte is emphasizing.  Repeat.  Watch each section over and over starting with the No-Turn Backswing.  Don't move on until you get in the position Monte shows.  You need to get the wrists set correctly.  To get rid of the inside move, do the Backswing A-drill.  Do it over and over; slo-mo... video yourself doing it.   You could hit balls from this backswing position, but I don't recommend it until after you complete the Backswing B-drill correctly... going from 7 to 8 o'clock.  That's the position you will be in later when you rotate to impact.  

Good luck!!  There are lots of jewels in the NTC video; I didn't see many of them until I watched it many times.  Don't rush it!!  As you said, making this big of a change will take time, so don't get discouraged in the short term.

I appreciate the advice and plan on working on the Backswing A drill for quite a while. I even messed around with it today leaving work with the umbrella I carried in. I wanted to work on setting the wrists in the proper position and worked on the feeling of getting to a flat lead wrist. It's definitely going to take a while to iron out all the bad things in my swing, as there are many. Right now it seems like:

Pros: I can make contact and advance the ball

Cons: everything else, but at least I can putt.

Might have just jinxed myself. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Dirty, filthy bombs.  Phil would be proud. 💣 🤣

I’m more of a hellacious seed type of guy but that bomb looked pretty good! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Just for fun, I checked out the cast B drill and that looks like it's going to take a minute or thousand for me to get down. I'm not going to jump ahead, just like seeing what all the video entails to satisfy my curiosity. 

If doing the rest of the stuff right cast b should happen naturally, but Monte says if it’s not then work on cast b

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I appreciate the advice and plan on working on the Backswing A drill for quite a while. I even messed around with it today leaving work with the umbrella I carried in. I wanted to work on setting the wrists in the proper position and worked on the feeling of getting to a flat lead wrist. It's definitely going to take a while to iron out all the bad things in my swing, as there are many. Right now it seems like:

Pros: I can make contact and advance the ball

Cons: everything else, but at least I can putt.

Might have just jinxed myself. 

Getting a flat lead wrist is really a game changer.  Work on it.  Then when you get to Transition, it will be easier to bow the wrist.  

Keep after it!!  It does get easier.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If doing the rest of the stuff right cast b should happen naturally, but Monte says if it’s not then work on cast b

That's good to know, it looks just a slight bit awkward in the video. 

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Getting a flat lead wrist is really a game changer.  Work on it.  Then when you get to Transition, it will be easier to bow the wrist.  

Keep after it!!  It does get easier.

It's starting to get there, but most times I still have a bit of difficulty getting there. I'm wondering if I'm letting my forearms get to separated in the takeaway causing my trail arm not to accommodate a flattening of my lead wrist. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeathS16 said:

I’m more of a hellacious seed type of guy but that bomb looked pretty good! 

Piss missle!

• Like 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

43 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's good to know, it looks just a slight bit awkward in the video. 

It's starting to get there, but most times I still have a bit of difficulty getting there. I'm wondering if I'm letting my forearms get to separated in the takeaway causing my trail arm not to accommodate a flattening of my lead wrist. 

Yeah it’s awkward for sure. I mess with when doing Monte’s efficient swing and one of the first drills is setting the wrist for shaft parallel and hitting balls from there

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

Played 18 today but with the course being absolutely soaked, and cart path only, I decide to use it as a “practice” round. It was great to play even though the conditions weren’t great. I played the last 10 holes without my driver…. I hit my drive on 8, leaned over to grab the tee, and SNAP! Ugh. PRAYING I can pick-up the replacement before I head home Friday. The Edel wedges were RIDICULOUS today… Seriously, SO good!

Oh man... were you leaning over with your hand on the top of the shaft, putting your weight on it? 

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I've been doing a lot of putting practice with the PuttOut and taking partial swings in the house trying to work on a new hand position. I noticed I was cupping my wrist a good bit and in straightening it out my backswing has gotten very Rahm like. I've only taken this new swing to the course once and it was really good but it has rained for five days in a row and we're working on a sixth today if the forecast is right. Maybe I'll get on the course again one day, haha.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Oh man... were you leaning over with your hand on the top of the shaft, putting your weight on it? 

Yep. How I always do it with every club. My guy’s going to get me a new set-up, but I’m going to be more cognizant of not doing this down the line!

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Just now, PMookie said:

Yep. How I always do it with every club. My guy’s going to get me a new set-up, but I’m going to be more cognizant of not doing this down the line!

I know of someone who had that happen to him and the shaft pierced his forearm 😬 Worse, he was at a rural course that only has a few carts designated for seniors or those with mobility problems, he and his group were walking and were pretty far from the clubhouse. Thankfully he's OK and there was no major damage but he was out of commission for a while. I always do my best to not do that with my clubs after seeing his arm all wrapped up at a BBQ and hearing the story.

• Sad 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb