What/How did you practice today?

jlukes

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don't video my swing. It's working and I'm afraid I will see something and want to adjust something. 

I have to practice but never do, never hit the range but I must. I am so close to achieving my own personal goal that I thought was just a pipe dream. I just received my USGA handicap update from the Tennessee Golf Association yesterday. I am currently at a 1.1. handicap index. I had six rounds in the sixty's this season so far. I usually have maybe one or two. 

So, I was always content with being a 5 handicap then things just happened over the last two to three years. I'm attributing a lot of this from being active in MGS and some equipment changes and testing opportunities to get me motivated and focused.

My challenge........ Can I get below a 1.0 this season. It's so hard to lower your handicap when it gets low, one bad round can screw up the progress. I'm not talking a really bad round, but enough to be used in the calculations to move me in the wrong direction.  I'll have to have a serious conversation with myself every round. Keep calm, focus, play smart, and have fun (in short, don't choke).🤣

So I am working from home today. In 30 minutes it will be time for lunch. (I keep my home schedule the same for work) I am committing myself  to go out into the yard and hit wedges from 50 to 85 yards to my backyard pin. Soon the balls should show up for my testing of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X balls. I think the focus for the testing should be enough to help me reach my goal.

I can't remember when I was this nervous and excited at the same time. I am actually going to work hard at this. To achieve this at my age (62) will be monumental for me and I hope it inspires others. It doesn't matter how old you get you can still get better.

Congrats on the progress, you got this. I think that is the great part about golf, there are endless goals and there is such a long window to achieve them.

• Like 7

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

Been videoing my swing lately to try and solve my driver game and feel like I am going down a rabbit hole. Besides some good recent rounds (and good iron striking) I feel like I have so much work to do still. 

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

33 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don't video my swing. It's working and I'm afraid I will see something and want to adjust something. 

I have to practice but never do, never hit the range but I must. I am so close to achieving my own personal goal that I thought was just a pipe dream. I just received my USGA handicap update from the Tennessee Golf Association yesterday. I am currently at a 1.1. handicap index. I had six rounds in the sixty's this season so far. I usually have maybe one or two. 

So, I was always content with being a 5 handicap then things just happened over the last two to three years. I'm attributing a lot of this from being active in MGS and some equipment changes and testing opportunities to get me motivated and focused.

My challenge........ Can I get below a 1.0 this season. It's so hard to lower your handicap when it gets low, one bad round can screw up the progress. I'm not talking a really bad round, but enough to be used in the calculations to move me in the wrong direction.  I'll have to have a serious conversation with myself every round. Keep calm, focus, play smart, and have fun (in short, don't choke).🤣

So I am working from home today. In 30 minutes it will be time for lunch. (I keep my home schedule the same for work) I am committing myself  to go out into the yard and hit wedges from 50 to 85 yards to my backyard pin. Soon the balls should show up for my testing of the Maxfli Tour and Tour X balls. I think the focus for the testing should be enough to help me reach my goal.

I can't remember when I was this nervous and excited at the same time. I am actually going to work hard at this. To achieve this at my age (62) will be monumental for me and I hope it inspires others. It doesn't matter how old you get you can still get better.

Incredible, congrats and good luck

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Worked on several swing feels (posted in my improvement thread). Really need to focus hard and slow down to not over rotate on the way back. My hips and shoulder planes are still out of whack. Load road ahead. 

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S [back up and on life support Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5" ]

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in proV1 at some point)

:Arccos:

Still working on backswing A, I took a little video and only see marginal progress. I'm getting a little more wrist set at waist high, but only between 50-60 degrees. I'm still waiting to fully get them set until the top of my backswing. My swing is still looping around to the inside, also. I have a feeling it's going to take a while to completely overhaul just this small part of my swing, but it'll be worth it. As @rbsiedsc said, long road ahead, but every little bit helps to actually learn to sing the club better. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Still working on backswing A, I took a little video and only see marginal progress. I'm getting a little more wrist set at waist high, but only between 50-60 degrees. I'm still waiting to fully get them set until the top of my backswing. My swing is still looping around to the inside, also. I have a feeling it's going to take a while to completely overhaul just this small part of my swing, but it'll be worth it. As @rbsiedsc said, long road ahead, but every little bit helps to actually learn to sing the club better. 

Don't feel bad!  It took me awhile as well.  I still don't get my wrist set as early as I would like.

You should be able to get to 90º set at left arm parallel using the drill video #3, the No-Turn Backswing.  Keep doing that drill until you know what that position feels like, then work on getting to that same position from address position.  

Good luck!!  You can doooo it!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

50 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Don't feel bad!  It took me awhile as well.  I still don't get my wrist set as early as I would like.

You should be able to get to 90º set at left arm parallel using the drill video #3, the No-Turn Backswing.  Keep doing that drill until you know what that position feels like, then work on getting to that same position from address position.  

I think I'm going to spend a while on that one, I just rewatched that one after you mentioned it and it seems like a good one. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I am going to give you a little different perspective about the wrist set.  I am sure that there are lots of approaches and thoughts, but Mark Crossfield made a video the resonated with me and helped stop me from trying to cock the wrists too much.  I think it is a great visual on setting the wrists.  

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hit the range for a bit after work today. Needed to get outside after being stuck in the lab all day. Seeing a pretty consistent issue of being too steep in my swing so trying to work on that a little bit at a time. 

• Like 3

Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58 deg
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I am going to give you a little different perspective about the wrist set.  I am sure that there are lots of approaches and thoughts, but Mark Crossfield made a video the resonated with me and helped stop me from trying to cock the wrists too much.  I think it is a great visual on setting the wrists.  

He's doing to what Monte refers to as the Cast A position after the left arm parallel and club 90º, and from there start the downswing.  So it's about the same thing with different sequencing.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Range at my buddies country club played closed to the pin lost $8… sliced every driver shot .. my irons were on looking good so that’s always a plus .. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My challenge........ Can I get below a 1.0 this season.

Take the decimal point out and that's my challenge 😉 

• Like 4

Cobra King F6+ Matrix Black Tie 65S 

Titleist 816 H1 19° Aldila Rogue Black 85H 🆕

Titleist 816 H1 21° Fubuki Z80 🆕

Mizuno MP-32 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300

Cleveland CG12 52° Gap

Cleveland CG15 56° Sand

Cleveland CG15 60° Lob

DStar #1 Putter

Titleist AVX Balls

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

What's this Monte stuff, Cast A etc? Sounds like it could be beneficial to me to try...

• Like 3

Cobra King F6+ Matrix Black Tie 65S 

Titleist 816 H1 19° Aldila Rogue Black 85H 🆕

Titleist 816 H1 21° Fubuki Z80 🆕

Mizuno MP-32 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300

Cleveland CG12 52° Gap

Cleveland CG15 56° Sand

Cleveland CG15 60° Lob

DStar #1 Putter

Titleist AVX Balls

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

12 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

The wrists don’t need as much set as people think. The first drill in the ntc videos is all the wrist set that’s needed and really shouldn’t increase much from there. Practice just that part of needed. 

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yup

5 hours ago, DStar said:

What's this Monte stuff, Cast A etc? Sounds like it could be beneficial to me to try...

It’s the movement of the wrist in the transition downswing. Lead wrist bows, right arm extends and wrists uncock

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, DStar said:

Monte Scheinblum; he is an instructor that has developed some videos to help the average golfer.  Use the bounce is his big short game video.  The No Turn Cast Drill is his big full swing instruction.   You can find the early videos of the drill by searching for “Monte no turn cast”.   He has a new version; which is what very one is discussing and is it very inexpensive.  https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/noturncast?utm_medium=social&utm_source=linktree&utm_campaign=no turn cast! - the definitive move for your swing!

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Gorgeous morning with no humidity and a crummy weekend ahead so I stopped at the local driving range/mini golf/batting cages complex at the last minute to hit some balls before work. On the good side, they have a large grass section. On the bad side, I once again should have recognized that when I'm pressed for time I don't really have the best ball striking day. Irons and wedges were good but driver wasn't close to being what it was my last few times out. Still a work in progress, but the whole time I was there I kept thinking "ok I have X more minutes before I need to leave so I can get to the office" and mindset matters.

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Worked on the range and the practice green collecting numbers for my Evnroll Er5v testing, and I wish the range had went as well as the putting lol Really struggled with shifting my weight and kept hitting it fat. Might be time for another lesson, but hopefully the rain holds off so I can get back out this evening before my Saturday morning round. 

• Like 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus 9* @ 8*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6-X

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X-Stiff

:titelist-small: TSi2 18* Hybrid Tensei AV White Raw 90 X

:ping-small: G410 22* Even Flow Black 85 6.5 

:Sub70: CB 5,6 Dynamic Gold X100

:Sub70: MB 7-PW Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small: T20 50*, 60 @ 58* Dynamic Gold TI S400

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 54.11 Dynamic Gold TI S200 

:EVNROLL: ER5v Short Plumbers Neck 35" 

:taylormade-small: TP5x PIX

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope

:SuperSpeed:

Third range session with the new focus I touched on a few days ago (keeping back to target longer). Found today that a better feel for me might be to keep my lead shoulder "in" longer. Accomplishes the same thing but gives me an "opposing force" to me wanting my shoulders to open on the downswing. I found when I focused on keeping my back to the target my shoulders still would overtake the downswing.

Hit some very, very good shots with that focus and also making sure I get a good hip and shoulder turn on the backswing.

I have three scrambles scheduled in the next 10 days so I'm going to do my best not to let those wreck my progress, hahaha. 

• Like 7

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.5 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 19, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver